EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Another oddity coming up to finishing and no takers. Not sure the Longmoor military railway ever had one of these but if he knocks it down to twenty I'll have a punt😉

Possibly actually unique

I don't think the Royal Engineers would have named a locomotive after an IRA general and Sinn Fein politician, even if it was Italian.  More suitable would be General "Electric Whiskers" Bergonzoli, thoroughly defeated in the first phase of  WW2 in North Africa.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, petethemole said:

I don't think the Royal Engineers would have named a locomotive after an IRA general and Sinn Fein politician, even if it was Italian.  More suitable would be General "Electric Whiskers" Bergonzoli, thoroughly defeated in the first phase of  WW2 in North Africa.

Hah, I totally missed that. That is bizarre on so many levels.😲

• Like 1

Look, I tried to be as honest as possible but still someone bought it! Ebay madness or what?

DESCRIPTION:

We all like a  challenge although to be fair long ago I got sick of people trying to get me to do a god awful job by saying "Look at it as a challenge", No, life's too short mate to be doing rubbish jobs for no more money. So now I pick and choose and if it looks too difficult I say I know just the company that loves this work. Two birds with one stone, I don't have to do it and it messes up my competitors with hassley work that they'll regret doing and wont make any money. Seems to have worked I think one of them has given up.

Having said that....

This is just what you should take on now that the winter nights are drawing in, to either get going by the cunning addition of a bit of wiring and a motor, or something to practice your weathering skills on. 

And you'll need a tender.

Good luck with that, we're all counting on you.

PS  just looked at the photos again and realised its missing a smoke deflector. I never said it was going to be easy.

duchess.jpg.255ecc66fef2e7599df1903ec33c7aff.jpg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

8 minutes ago, Ducking Giraffe said:

Look, I tried to be as honest as possible but still someone bought it! Ebay madness or what?

DESCRIPTION:

We all like a  challenge although to be fair long ago I got sick of people trying to get me to do a god awful job by saying "Look at it as a challenge", No, life's too short mate to be doing rubbish jobs for no more money. So now I pick and choose and if it looks too difficult I say I know just the company that loves this work. Two birds with one stone, I don't have to do it and it messes up my competitors with hassley work that they'll regret doing and wont make any money. Seems to have worked I think one of them has given up.

Having said that....

This is just what you should take on now that the winter nights are drawing in, to either get going by the cunning addition of a bit of wiring and a motor, or something to practice your weathering skills on. 

And you'll need a tender.

Good luck with that, we're all counting on you.

PS  just looked at the photos again and realised its missing a smoke deflector. I never said it was going to be easy.

duchess.jpg.255ecc66fef2e7599df1903ec33c7aff.jpg

I get that, I've turned away several people who have have brought motorcycles round that want the bare minimum doing and try to set the price themselves, because they think that they're then going to sell it for a fortune.

Case in point was a chap who spent ages telling me that the owners club knew of only two others and how the last person he had make a wiring loom had given up.

But I couldn't convince him that the "new" headlight and ignition switch he'd paid a lot for was the wrong one, (But it fits!) that he had a mishmash of electrical parts from bikes with direct lighting and those with battery lighting and most importantly that I wasn't going to be using the box full of random secondhand wire from God alone knows where.

Yes there is a vintage motorcycle eBay madness thread out there!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Talltim said:

A "lime green" livery is the least of its problems. It also apparently runs on AC...

Though if the vendor was trying to indicate that it was DCC fitted, then they were going the wrong way about it!

Edited by Hroth
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

A "lime green" livery is the least of its problems. It also apparently runs on AC...

Though if the vendor was trying to indicate that it was DCC fitted, then they were going the wrong way about it!

'Amaze and astound your family and friends! Plug loco into the mains and watch it melt down before your eyes!'

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

'Amaze and astound your family and friends! Plug loco into the mains and watch it melt down before your eyes!'

To be fair, a voltage wasn't specified.  My old H&M Clipper has a 16v AC output on the back, not that I'd want to feed that to a defenceless loco either!

• Like 1

I always describe exactly what you get warts n all .I sold some Team Lotus shirts ,Good ones with embroidered Camel logos ,some JPS .etc .I just put unwashed ,unironed, all dirt and sweat original .One I put "unless you are Japanese  or a girl   age 12 this isnt going to fit you .dont ask ."sold em all  no complaints.same with all train stuff .I have always had 100%  rating

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's things about the brakevan loco that bother me, such as why are there roof ventilators over the outside balconies, and what is going on underneath with those wheels!  I'm just not getting into the spirit of things, am I?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

There's things about the brakevan loco that bother me, such as why are there roof ventilators over the outside balconies, and what is going on underneath with those wheels!  I'm just not getting into the spirit of things, am I?

No, I think you are actually.

• Funny 3

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

One of the old stagers never fails to impress.

Okay, it's an interesting idea, nail an old pantograph to a brake van kit, no motor of course.

That's fine,

But to ask nearly £60 for it? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372980883903?

I've said it before, but he's so far ahead in the chiseling game, he makes the rest look like amateurs. A thing of beauty that.

Edited by Sjcm
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I refer my esteemed colleague to one of Hornbys recent* Bassett Lowke Steampunk models, a Time Travel Holiday Home  

Neat, eh?

* Indeed, discontinued!

Reminds me there was a S**'s train's video that appeared on my  YouTube feed recently with the title "Why did Steampunk fail? " which I'm guessing is shorthand for "Why did the nichiest niche railway product in history fail?"

• Funny 5

4 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

Reminds me there was a S**'s train's video that appeared on my  YouTube feed recently with the title "Why did Steampunk fail? " which I'm guessing is shorthand for "Why did the nichiest niche railway product in history fail?"

Or, why have imitation Victorian "engineering" when you could model the real thing?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

One of the old stagers never fails to impress.

Okay, it's an interesting idea, nail an old pantograph to a brake van kit, no motor of course.

That's fine,

But to ask nearly £60 for it? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372980883903?

Surprised it's taken so long to appear in these pages. It was first listed in March 2020.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3