RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Hroth said:

• At least we know where to go and complain.
  • If we could be bothered!
  • And were near Tavistock...

rumbles on and on and on and...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325886664456?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=WSf3swO_R5S&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Didn't know the GWR used telephone pole cable insulators for rail as well... I've got three of them at home complete with a length of copper phone wire attached

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Zinc oxide? Is that what was on my Hornby School? There was some white powder on the front bogie and the main chassis, dad mistook it for zinc pest when we viewed it in the antique store (after the scare we got from my first attempt at getting a GraFar black five), but a nylon brush and the white powder slid right off.

They had obviously been snorting illicit medication at that private school...

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, John Besley said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325886664456?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=WSf3swO_R5S&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Didn't know the GWR used telephone pole cable insulators for rail as well... I've got three of them at home complete with a length of copper phone wire attached

ALL IN GOOD CONDITION WITH NO CRACKS. SOME HAVE BLACK STAINAGE.

PLEASE STATE WHICH ONE YOUR PREFER. WITH BLACK STAINAGE OR WITH OUT.

IN MY OPINION THE ONES WITH BLACK STAINAGE, LOOK BEST, AS THEY LOOKED USED.

Or, we want you to buy the manky ones so we can finally get rid of them?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

Why 1950?

I understand that they would have been in use by BR(W), but if they're stamped GWR then they're pre-nationalisation...

Anyhow, I don't need a GWR telegraph insulator, I already have a GPO telephone insulator.  At normal viewing distance, they look identical!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

To be fair, and I hate being fair to these mendacious chisellers, the GWR was a Bristish Railway, that is, a railway situated in Britain.  The description headline states that the items are of British Railway GWR, not British Railways Western Region.  The description is incorrect in that they are S&T insulators, nothing to do with track or conductor rails.  It is possible that the seller does not know what they are.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I mean… It has a box! A bit tatty, but it has one! 😂

If I were to sell it, I don’t think I’d sell it for anything over a tenner, the box could certainly be of use to someone, but the carriage is heavily damaged, underframe could likely be salvaged, maybe the wheels too…

But would the box be of use to anyone?, I would imagine all the models suitable for it are in the same state as this coach.

Mike.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Now, this isn’t “madness” per se,  but I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this is an actual Bachmann model or whether it has been adapted from a Bachmann model? Tellingly, the seller shows the box but not the end panel (which would give all the manufacturer provided model description details on a label).

Also, is this a flight of fancy or did BR really paint up one of their Mk1 brake coaches to match Pullman coaches to provide ‘visual integrity’ to an all-Pullman train? If so, I imagine it might be for the later Mk1 Pullman coaches in use on the Eastern Region?

IMG_4991.jpeg.f45e211bee2f645b98c3c822ec35282e.jpeg

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Now, this isn’t “madness” per se,  but I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this is an actual Bachmann model or whether it has been adapted from a Bachmann model? Tellingly, the seller shows the box but not the end panel (which would give all the manufacturer provided model description details on a label).

Also, is this a flight of fancy or did BR really paint up one of their Mk1 brake coaches to match Pullman coaches to provide ‘visual integrity’ to an all-Pullman train? If so, I imagine it might be for the later Mk1 Pullman coaches in use on the Eastern Region?

IMG_4991.jpeg.f45e211bee2f645b98c3c822ec35282e.jpeg

Steve S

A Pullman car with a corridor? Doesn't look right to me!  Amy chance you could post the URL of the item so we can have a look?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RFS said:

A Pullman car with a corridor? Doesn't look right to me!  Amy chance you could post the URL of the item so we can have a look?

If you click on the underlined this in the original post, it took you to the original eBay item. I normally also put the link text in bold, but somehow missed doing so in my last post.

Meanwhile, this has now caught my attention. Is it just me, or does the seller studiously avoid showing the ends of the carriage (given the somewhat ‘melted’ appearance of the corridor connection).

Description = “in good order”

Hmmmm 🤔

Steve S

PS

Thanks to @petethemole for clarifying about the “Pullman” mk1 brake coach being a Bachmann Collector’s Club item - I guess that it must have been modelled on a real vehicle, then?

• Like 2

Another Gostude bargain...

£2500 for a Tri-ang NSW Sydney Red Rattler 4 car set.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364725878845

Of course, if you knew he paid £900 plus buyers premium (total £1143) you'd appreciate just how much of a profit he's aiming to make...

Vectis Auctions | Triang R450/R451 NSW Suburban 4-Car EMU Set

I'm pretty sure if paying £2500 for some vintage Tri-ang, I'd not want it damaged by stacking it on top of itself, pantographs and all.

Edited by Tofufi
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, petethemole said:

Bachmann 39-225K BR Mk1 BCK Coach Pullman Livery 'Car No. 355' was a Collectors' Club limited edition but the car number is different.

Here's the collectors version - enough differences that I think the eBay one is a home repaint.

Apparently it worked with the SLOA pullman set in the 80s. There were two BCKs so presumably someone has modelled the other one.

As ever, Google gets there quicker!

39-225K_3204103_Qty1_1.jpg.b8bfb47bc855d0f8eafb90f71b6c16fd.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Another sort of eBay madness... i filed - a few days ago - an unpowered scratchbuilt LT battery locomotive locomotive that I made when I was about 15 out of thick cardboard on RTR bogies for sale.  

in my opinion its a terrible model entirely lacking in detail and not even fully square, wearing a livery the prototype never saw. I pointed this out in the advert and optimistically filed it with a starting price of £10.  

Currently at £31 after numerous bids.   I'm not pleased to make far more than I expected, as much as worried they aren't reading the advert and will complain on receiving it...
Hope the fact of my own slating of it's quality in the advert text protects me...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Captain Slough said:

Another sort of eBay madness... i filed - a few days ago - an unpowered scratchbuilt LT battery locomotive locomotive that I made when I was about 15 out of thick cardboard on RTR bogies for sale.  

in my opinion its a terrible model entirely lacking in detail and not even fully square, wearing a livery the prototype never saw. I pointed this out in the advert and optimistically filed it with a starting price of £10.  

Currently at £31 after numerous bids.   I'm not pleased to make far more than I expected, as much as worried they aren't reading the advert and will complain on receiving it...
Hope the fact of my own slating of it's quality in the advert text protects me...

It appeared on the Underground modelling group on Farcebook so I had a look, not tempted afterwards. 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It appeared on the Underground modelling group on Farcebook so I had a look, not tempted afterwards. 

10 hours ago, Captain Slough said:

'I came. I saw. ...'

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

that explains why the battery loco and my scratchbuiilt 1938 stock motor car got more views in the last 7 days than my other 30-odd open items have received in their entirety.  I assume the comments on the FB group were well-earned.. would be curious to see them...

Edited by Captain Slough
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Captain Slough said:

I tracked it down...

Unusual, and an interesting attempt.  I must say that with something like that, if I wanted one I'd have a bash at it myself!  I don't expect it would be much different in appearance...

The front does remind me of the face of Marvin the Paranoid Android (TV not film) Perhaps the diodes down the locos left side were giving it gyp...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

diodes.. in 1905?  this was probably valve controlled....  

i really thought it wouldn't sell or would go for a tenner to someone who wanted the bogies. Pretty certain I'm going to end up being asked for a refund now from some buyer who hasnt realised it really is as bad an attempt as I described it as.  

eBay really is weird.  surely whoever linked it from that facebook page that I haven't been able to find must have said "look at this its terrible, don't buy it". if they didn't they should have

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1