EBay madness

Marcyg

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Indeed they were, but such wild inaccuracies don't concern the "pro weathered" eBay sellers!

That, and the random clumps of nose hair!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 5

4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Why bother?  Aren't there enough Hornby or whatever RTR versions around second hand?

Quite probably, and as I implied it would be a lot of effort to get something which may prove a disappointment.

However, there are static SR C Class models on the ‘bay’ for around £15. Secondhand, inexpensive 0-6-0 chassis are readily available and someone unable to stretch to the 100 notes plus for a Bachman model might well consider it an appealing project.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, Deeps said:

Quite probably, and as I implied it would be a lot of effort to get something which may prove a disappointment.

However, there are static SR C Class models on the ‘bay’ for around £15. Secondhand, inexpensive 0-6-0 chassis are readily available and someone unable to stretch to the 100 notes plus for a Bachman model might well consider it an appealing project.

Triang/Hornby 08 chassis (later version with the shorter wheelbase, block shared with the E2, B12, A1/3, etc), would it look the best? Not at all, but would it be a cheap, functional, good representation of the class? Absolutely! I might look into doing that myself… :)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Right, arrived not long ago, at college though so I’ll have to check it out once I get home, I think I already mentioned but this seller uses AI descriptions in his listings so I’m looking forward to seeing if these hide any flaws with the model (or am I? I’d hate if I got another zinc pest victim…) I’ll show once I get home.

Finally home, I’ve inspected the model cosmetically, drivers aren’t locked up so thankfully no zinc pest!

That’s about all I have positive to say, the locomotive had ZERO padding inside the box and was loosely floating about (no damage I can see, but still a bad choice on his end), not to mention he only sent the locomotive in its GraFar box, wrapped in bubble wrap and covered in a plain white plastic wrap, no second box to protect the quite thin, feeble GraFar box, nope!

Yes, the locomotive and box survived the trek, but I still feel that giving minimal protection to the box and its contents is unacceptable, I’ve bought Princesses for a fiver which had better packing than this!

The listing never specified if it ran, spoiler alert: It currently does not, I’ll have to get it opened up this weekend and have a look inside, but from looking beneath it does utilise the same 2 pole motor + clutch arrangement as their tender locos, I’m assuming they chose a large prairie to model because that was the smallest motor they had at the time, and they knew they could hide such a bulky motor in the tanks. Aside from that, the model is as advertised, I knew it’d likely need work either way, but I’ll leave a review on the seller’s page pointing out the shoddy job of packaging it.

IMG_1110.jpeg.6d64cd8d4173111efab84f10bfcf7fec.jpegIMG_1111.jpeg.05bae1ba21f665ff6ccbe2da0a85d40d.jpegIMG_1112.jpeg.05eb927787f62a896197c62ce85b1673.jpeg

Edit: I will admit though, I wasn’t expecting the original exploded parts diagram or the manufacturer letter to be included! 

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
Added photos
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Gosturd has dropped another, um, turd.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374999150624

Where to even start? He's right about one thing - it certainly is a "neverwazza". Also a "nevershoulda" and a "WTFa". That North British were the class 16 rather than 15 is essentially moot.

As a seller does he get to see how many people view his items? If so, then we are probably encouraging him!

• Funny 5

14 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

As a seller does he get to see how many people view his items? If so, then we are probably encouraging him!

Yes all sellers can see the number of views, the number watching and the number of bids on each item.

I don't know whether the number of views is the number of different viewers or the number of times it's been viewed (perhaps even including the vendor), but even if one person has seen it several times, it suggests he's interested in it.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Yes all sellers can see the number of views, the number watching and the number of bids on each item.

I don't know whether the number of views is the number of different viewers or the number of times it's been viewed (perhaps even including the vendor), but even if one person has seen it several times, it suggests he's interested in it.

I have never sold anything on Ebay, so wasn't sure. In that case we are definitely encouraging him! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

When the punters start a-drooling, Gostard starts a-quivering!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

In that case we are definitely encouraging him! 

Number of viewings is pretty irrelevant. Number of watchers is more useful but the only stat that matters is what you sell it for.

I'm convinced he's just using ebay listings to support a massively inflated stock value on his balance sheet.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Gosturd has dropped another, um, turd.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374999150624

Where to even start? He's right about one thing - it certainly is a "neverwazza". Also a "nevershoulda" and a "WTFa". That North British were the class 16 rather than 15 is essentially moot.

I think its meant to be the NBR 10800 prototype, rather than a 15 or a 16.  🤔

Heljan make them and Kernow are selling them for £184 + delivery.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/75286/1081-Heljan-North-British-Prototype-Diesel-Locomotive-10800#

Think I'd pay the extra £44 and get a proper model, rather than a Frankenloco!

IF I wanted one!

Edited by Hroth
Thought the Heljan was a few quid more than it actually was!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I think its meant to be the NBR 10800 prototype, rather than a 15 or a 16.  🤔

Heljan make them and Kernow are selling them for £184 + delivery.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/75286/1081-Heljan-North-British-Prototype-Diesel-Locomotive-10800#

Think I'd pay the extra £44 and get a proper model, rather than a Frankenloco!

IF I wanted one!

It does indeed look closer to that than a 15...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

it does utilise the same 2 pole motor + clutch arrangement as their tender locos

Odd… Did GraFar themselves do this, or is this a modification somebody else has made? Maybe a c0ckup in the factory?

IMG_1116.jpeg.947cee99cd070ac8c82e1dbd971ae283.jpegIMG_1117.jpeg.5b24c9a319316e9b176f358487157c46.jpeg

Looking between the parts diagram and my example… Is the diagram for a different version of the model? It shows the motor being permanently coupled to the driveline, whereas my example contains the centrifugal clutch assembly! Hopefully someone more knowledgable corrects me, but is mine modified? Is this as it came from the factory? Was there some kind of error between diagram and model? Or is it a service sheet for a different variant of the model that was paired with the wrong version?

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 3

Looks factory to me. Wouldn't mind a dabble on one of them. Picked up the later version without the plungers years back with the chassis snapped from zinc pest. Fortunately the zinc had stopped pesting and 15+ years on the repair is still solid. Mine has the x04 type motor so it got a neo magnet upgrade and runs as good as any comparable model from that time period

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

12 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

I have never sold anything on Ebay, so wasn't sure. In that case we are definitely encouraging him! 

I've always assumed he knows he has a fan club on here, and purposely sets aside a listing each month for our entertainment😉

• Agree 5
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Peterem said:

I got an offer on the Schools flockbeast this morning - £2 off isn't quite enough to tempt me!

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 10-34-36 My eBay - Summary.png

I'm not going to spend that kind of money just to see how far I could throw it... (Although it would make a satisfying splash in the canal.🤔)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm not going to spend that kind of money just to see how far I could throw it... (Although it would make a satisfying splash in the canal.🤔)

I think the Environment Agency might have an issue with that. Who knows what that... stuff... consists of.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

I think the Environment Agency might have an issue with that. Who knows what that... stuff... consists of.

Pennies and tuppences consist mainly of steel nowadays.

I've a 2p that got left out in the garden for a couple of years, its now an expanded lump of delaminating rust with the remains of the "copper" plating on the outside.  I think it might have been made from recycled British Leyland cars.  Perhaps there's some Allegro, or Metro in it.

Any coppers chucked in the cut'll turn to dust pretty promptly...

Edited by Hroth
Plurals? Tsk...
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Pennys and tuppences consist mainly of steel nowadays.

I've a 2p that got left out in the garden for a couple of years, its now an expanded lump of delaminating rust with the remains of the "copper" plating on the outside.  I think it might have been made from recycled British Leyland cars.  Perhaps there's some Allegro, or Metro in it.

Any coppers chucked in the cut'll turn to dust pretty promptly...

Just goes to show what your money is really "worth".

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, 33C said:

Just goes to show what your money is really "worth".

If you have a jar full of coppers, it might be worth going through them with a magnet and keeping the real bronze ones.  Eventually the scrap value might exceed the face value!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

If you have a jar full of coppers, it might be worth going through them with a magnet and keeping the real bronze ones.  Eventually the scrap value might exceed the face value!

Trouble is, said coppers may object to being kept in a jar, they may escape and arrest you! 😲🚓

• Funny 5

5 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Possibly something dredged out of the town fountain at Pripyat?

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

It has done for years, which is why "coppers" became copper plated steel around 1993.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

British coinage was the last coinage to contain ferrous metal. My dad was car parks manager for a London borough and the coin machines had a magnet that diverted foreign coins into a bin. They went to the bank for exchange and went to help the rates until the banks put up the  charges for changing the money.

• Like 1