EBay madness

Marcyg

I remember seeing a listing ages ago, for just the “Murdoch” model alone being sold for that ludicrous price… Knowing the Thomas & friends community, one person will think that’s an amazing deal for both models and end up buying them (even then, old tender drive 9Fs & A4s can be found in the £50 range in decent nick, cheaper if you’re lucky, so why not just make one if you want the talking trains so badly? (Even then, why ruin perfectly good models by slapping faces on them?)).

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 4

When a stupidly expensive "Murdoch" was discussed here some time ago, I recalled seeing them both in a Hornby dealers, discounted, Spencer at about 80 quid, and Murdoch for about 110 quid, brand new.   I thought they were expensive back then and didn't buy.  Perhaps that was a missed opportunity? 🤔

Then again...  🤪🤪🤪

• Like 5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235542795262

This here is… Interesting to say the least. Remember the Conrail Pacific that was shared here a while ago? Well here’s a little something that might be of interest to people who liked that… Shipping from  the US, so if you for whatever reason want it then shipping will be through the roof.

IMG_0856.jpeg.9b08cf889605532855f04f3d468f88a7.jpeg

Conrail Berkshire, made from Lionel’s HO “polar express” model (specifically the later variant used in some awful Christmas train set, totally unrelated to the polar express).

There’s a build log made by the guy who made the model, which I’ll link below.

https://youtu.be/An97VVyUAZg?si=jKc3pNzDEOE8dEdf

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

George V and Prince of Wales bodies?

The "tenders" have their wheels, which is something... 🤪

You could always put the wheels in the LRM kit!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=atmodels18&_pgn=1&isRefine=true&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l49496

Been looking at GraFar OO stuff, and I think I found out why it’s so hard to get a hold of… This guy seemingly has most of the supply*! Saw a good 16 listings for 8100s…

Some of his prices seem half decent… £45-£55 for Prairies, an early plunger prairie for £50 (plastic wheels, screwed onto their axles in similar fashion to a Keyser model, plungers between the rear and middle drivers), I’m honestly tempted to purchase one as 8100s are models I hardly see being sold…

Then there’s things like Merchant Navies going for almost three hundred quid! Are the BR blue ones really worth that much!?

*Well, him and that guy with the room full of GraFar stuff selling for £10k…

Added detail
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I’m honestly tempted to purchase one as 8100s are models I hardly see being sold…

Great if you're into retro, but otherwise I'd hang on a bit; I believe Dapol intend to release an 81xx in due course. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Great if you're into retro, but otherwise I'd hang on a bit; I believe Dapol intend to release an 81xx in due course. 

Vintage model collector, have been for about 2 years now? Last time I got a new model was 2022, a Hornby 0-4-0 which burnt out after a few months!

Of course, I was born well after these models ceased production, but given how expensive the hobby’s becoming, I find it fun to step back to when railway modelling was simpler, not to mention it’s something I (personally) don’t see being talked about too often. Another thing I like about older manufacturers is the lack of a need to make rival models, often you’ll see plenty of manufacturers making models of the same locomotives (or in Hornby’s case, outright stealing other manufacturers’ ideas), saturating the market with different options of varying qualities, prices and features old manufacturers? They worked in tandem, a few examples: Dublo produced the Castle, GraFar made the King, Triang introduced the Hall, all as ready to run options, likewise Triang made an unrebuilt light pacific (WC/BoB), Dublo did the rebuilt variant of the same loco, and GraFar made the Merchant. Every manufacturer would win, and there was no need to saturate the market with duplicate models, so it’s fun to try and build up a fleet using those different models, giving you a good taste of all the different manufacturers, and, in a way, forcing you to look at other alternatives if you wished to model a particular region.

Right, rambling over, back to coursework :)

Added plenty more detail… I have too much time on my hands :)
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

6 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

They worked in tandem, a few examples: Dublo produced the Castle, GraFar made the King, Triang introduced the Hall, all as ready to run options, likewise Triang made an unrebuilt light pacific (WC/BoB), Dublo did the rebuilt variant of the same loco, and GraFar made the Merchant.

Except that wheel profiles, flangeways, and coupling incompatibility made all that not quite as simple as it should have been…

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Except that wheel profiles, flangeways, and coupling incompatibility made all that not quite as simple as it should have been…

I’ve found all three seem to like Triang S3 track just fine, coupling incompatibility is easily sorted with converter wagons, drill out the rivet on one end holding the coupler in, bolt in a different coupler (for example, tension lock on one end, Simplex on the other), a bit more of a challenge to get what you wanted since railway modelling in OO was very much finding its footing in the 50s, so of course not everything was compatible yet, everyone was trying to figure out what did and didn’t work.

Unsure what couplers the GraFar locos used, but from what I’ve seen they’re just a more primitive version of small sized tension locks? Either way, mine’s now fitted with a TL on the rear, the front seems to work just fine with Triang TLs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=atmodels18&_pgn=1&isRefine=true&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l49496

Been looking at GraFar OO stuff, and I think I found out why it’s so hard to get a hold of… This guy seemingly has most of the supply*! Saw a good 16 listings for 8100s…

Some of his prices seem half decent… £45-£55 for Prairies, an early plunger prairie for £50 (plastic wheels, screwed onto their axles in similar fashion to a Keyser model, plungers between the rear and middle drivers), I’m honestly tempted to purchase one as 8100s are models I hardly see being sold…

Then there’s things like Merchant Navies going for almost three hundred quid! Are the BR blue ones really worth that much!?

*Well, him and that guy with the room full of GraFar stuff selling for £10k…

Mentioned it on here before but I sold a landfill grafar merchant Navy with no tender for 100 pounds. thought I'd get a fiver for it....

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Looks like he's b*gg*red them all.

Good thing I like un-b*gg*ring b*gg*red models…

Either my autocorrect is buggy as hell, or my hand-eye coordination is on the fritz, I meant thing!
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Out of curiosity (and generally just wanting the 8100 to further build my GraFar OO collection), I bought one of the 8100s, he’s got loads listed, bought one of the plunger prairies though.

IMG_0919.jpeg.b15ee36c18f6780924fee8af26b74007.jpeg

BIN was £50, plus about £4 postage, but he sent an offer for £43. I countered with £40 and he accepted, either he just has too many and needs them gone, or there’s something seriously wrong with it…

Will provide updates once it arrives…

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Having another look at his account and the listings...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364869810156

"This Graham Farish OO Gauge steam locomotive... ...is a ready-to-go model that comes pre-built and is powered by a DC system."

image.png.4ce4d70a34ed2477cbbf659920c28b29.png

"...has a 4-6-2 wheel configuration..."

Doesn't look "ready-to-go" to me... Or "pre-built"... Sadly a victim of zinc pest, and he's asking £150...

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

"This Graham Farish OO Gauge steam locomotive... ...is a ready-to-go model that comes pre-built and is powered by a DC system."

Doesn't look "ready-to-go" to me... Or "pre-built"... Sadly a victim of zinc pest, and he's asking £150...

Furthermore: no motor? No pick-ups? I think this loco;s 'go' got up and left!?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Looking around for old magazines and came across this for just fifty of your pounds:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175933990940 

Ironically you can pick up the actual complete set of magazines from that same year in a binder for thirty quid less, which is still too much!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Furthermore: no motor? No pick-ups? I think this loco;s 'go' got up and left!?

GraFar tender motor, 2 pole motor in the tender with a driveshaft going through to the loco, plunger pickups on the tender, standard GraFar design for their OO tender locos. Was used on the 5MT, King, Merchant, and the NYC Hudson, the only tender loco not to use it was the Formo 0-6-0, unsure if the OO 8F they allegedly announced would use it.

Added detail
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

The one I sold was in much  worse condition than that except it didn't have zinc pest (the rear bogie was missing so had probably disintigrated). From what  I was being asked by potential buyers the big problem is the frame and the wheels having the pest, and luckily my example, the wheels and rods turned smoothly with no signs of cracking or bulging. GF collectors are brilliant for sellers though - they make Hornby Dublo collectors look sane individuals after a bargain.

Edited by Sjcm
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

thats true - I sold a badly repainted GF 00-gauge pannier a few months back, had a crooked wheel,a missing set of steps, a warped running-board and a VERY noisy motor (all declared clearly in the advert) and it got a good offer within hours of being filed, and good feedback too after the buyer received it. Feedback said "better condition than expected".  It was borderline scrap....

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I had a Graham Farish 2-rail 94xx back in the 80s; very poor runner and didn't like Peco turnouts as it turned out (sorry), but v. cheap in those days.  Fettled it as best I could but the thing had no hope really and I stuck with my Lima, not the world's most controllable engine but better than the GF.  What one would be like 40 years later I dread to think.

• Like 2