Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

EBay madness

Marcyg

If you look at their other 'stuff' it's just another junk shop chancer.

They sell stuff as an agency for people who can't be bothered to sell it themselves. Hence 'junk' and 'overpriced' are to be expected! :O

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if someone has already posted this, but another cracker from Warwick.

http://tinyurl.com/7b99hh6

Uncommon, yes, but he can't be serious, can he?

Graham

I assume that our 'toy and antique' friends buy these sort of things at auction and attempt to realise a profit on Ebay.

It looks like an old Keysers 'Milestones' kit. A lot of money for a rather mediocre item. As with most of the old K's kits the whitemetal moulding tended to be a little tired.

Guest baldrick25

Why has it got two fire hole doors?

OzzyO.

Perhaps one is for the jacket spuds and bacon butties on a shovel.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He is an antique dealer.

I rest my case milord...........

Khris

Not exactly Khris - he buys at auction (probably in several places although I only know definitely of one) where he seems happy to pay relatively high prices to secure whatever he really wants and occasionally he pays downright stupid prices. He then sells most of his wares through his Ebay 'shop' although he might have other outlets for all we know. I have occasionally been able to track his level of mark-up on his BIN prices (on some very recognisable items) and if he is getting what he's asking all I can say is that he's found an excellent 'business opportunity'.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mike. That has confirmed my suspicions. It doesn't get away from the fact that there must be punters out there that will pay these ludicrous prices without researching or looking around for better priced items.

Some of the asking prices are just plain daft and particularly for this rather mediocrely built and finished loco. If I ever wanted such a thing I wouldn't pay more than £130 tops for it. I've seen and even bought better built and finished locos for under that amount.

I would be intreagued to know what such items would be sold for in open Ebay auction. Nothing like his BIN price. I suspect that if he disposed of them in the auction mode he probably might not make is actual buying price at the auction from which he bought them.

It seems to be a mad world in the 'toy and collector' market. I recently sold individually on ebay from a small collection of boxed Wrenn engines for a friend. The best examples realised for him between £200>£300 which compared very well or even better that one or two of the recognised 'toy and train' auctions 'mean' realisations. In fact a couple of the same items were for sale on 'collectors' websites for £800>£900 and were in inferior condition to the ones that I sold. Two of my offerings were 'mint' in the true meaning of the word (never been out of their boxes) with the box condition (which really seemed to matter) being good/excellent. There was fevered bun fights with very large numbers of different bidders (at home and abroad) but the ultimate realisations were broadly in line with my research on other auction sites. So how the 'collector dealers' get the huge prices that they ask (or do they?) really baffles me.

Why has it got two fire hole doors?

OzzyO.

It's the Beattie patent coal-burning firebox;- (Most engines from that era were coke-fuelled) More trouble than it was worth, but Beattie senior put them on all of his engines, presumably so he could rake in some extra royalties on his patent rights...

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mike. That has confirmed my suspicions. It doesn't get away from the fact that there must be punters out there that will pay these ludicrous prices without researching or looking around for better priced items.

Some of the asking prices are just plain daft and particularly for this rather mediocrely built and finished loco. If I ever wanted such a thing I wouldn't pay more than £130 tops for it. I've seen and even bought better built and finished locos for under that amount.

I would be intreagued to know what such items would be sold for in open Ebay auction. Nothing like his BIN price. I suspect that if he disposed of them in the auction mode he probably might not make is actual buying price at the auction from which he bought them.

I'm not sure if it was this particulr one but I saw one of these K's 'Milestone' locos go in auction late last year along with several others and I think it fetched around the average hammer price for a 'visually appealing' example of a built and painted whitemetal kit loco - c£120. A whole load of GEM kits, on basically unaltered Triang chassis made between £90 and £120 each and no doubt went straight onto Ebay for far more at BIN (and not one of them was what I would call a 'good' job in terms of build and painting).

There can however be only one thing that fuels it and that is people prepared to buy the stuff at ludicrous prices on Ebay - I have seen dealers pay total amounts well in excess of £10 grand at auctions and be back at the next one spending just as much (and I'm talking about folk buying mainly 00 R-T-R plus accessories and kitbuilts - those dealing in 0 gauge can be seen spending several times that amount)

http://tinyurl.com/7b99hh6

Not a bad painting & lining job I suppose, but otherwise it leaves a bit to be desired. For my £497.50 I'd expect the chimney to be straight, the buffers to be 4mm scale (not 2mm scale as seems to be fitted), and it to look a bit more like the real thing: http://nationalrailwaymuseum.wordpress.com/2010/10/19/conserving-the-shark-part-2/attachment/1/

Cheers,

Will

Just to clear up any possible confusion, "another cracker" was very much tongue-in-cheek.

Personally I think he's made a typo with the price - moving the decimal point one place to the left would bring a bit more sanity!

I really don't know how people have the nerve to ask this sort of price. Even more, I don't know how people can possibly be prepared to pay that sort of price. Does anyone really buy them?

Graham

• RMweb Gold

I just watched, slack-jawed in amazement, as a (rather nice, admittedly) ex-SECR 6 wheel carriage in Southern drab olive, built from a D&S kit, went for GBP 335.00.....

To my knowledge the seller was a private seller and not one of the "usual suspects" - and this was on an auction style list that started at 0.99 - so some folks DO pay a lot.

Well I never thought I'd report my own listing on here, but this week I managed to sell a back-issue of Model Rail in pretty poor condition for double what I paid for it new. (Started the listing at 29p, so I don't blame myself!) Surely it can't be that sought-after just seven years after publication?

Not exactly Khris - he buys at auction (probably in several places although I only know definitely of one) where he seems happy to pay relatively high prices to secure whatever he really wants and occasionally he pays downright stupid prices. He then sells most of his wares through his Ebay 'shop' although he might have other outlets for all we know. I have occasionally been able to track his level of mark-up on his BIN prices (on some very recognisable items) and if he is getting what he's asking all I can say is that he's found an excellent 'business opportunity'.

Mike,

All I said was he was an antique dealer....I stand by that as being quite representative of what I do expect from an antique dealer, all cost and no quality.

You only have to look at the prices he has on the celestory coaches.

I do agree, that if he get the prices ...good luck to him.

Khris

Edited bad spelling

Edited by kandc_au

O well this one didn't sell http://www.ebay.co.u...84.m1438.l2649. Also I pointed out to the seller it was in BR not GWR but the seller didn't record that I had asked the question, should she have.

Depends on the seller I suppose. A seller doesn't need to make a question visible to the public if they don't want to.Some time back a seller was selling some Irish outline stuff but wouldn't accept bids from Ireland (outside UK)

I suggested to the seller that they might have better success if they allowed bids from Ireland. The seller didn't respond & relished the items exactly as before. Guess what ? They didn't sell :no: