Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Ebay Sloppiness?

While looking for the 2011 release of County of Bedford I came across this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160791895727

It's described as the 2011 release (with a blurb probably lifted from an online store), but as far as I can tell the photo shows the 1981 release.

Will E-mail the seller shortly, so please correct me if i'm wrong!

Regards,

Sierd Jan

• RMweb Gold

Ebay Sloppiness?

It's described as the 2011 release (with a blurb probably lifted from an online store), but as far as I can tell the photo shows the 1981 release.

Regards,

Sierd Jan

Given the age of all the other stuff he's selling I'd say you're right.

• Like 1

Ebay Sloppiness?

Regards,

Sierd Jan

Looks like the smokebox door is on the wrong way round too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sure, but the one on eBay at least qualifies for a RARE tag - even if it might not win on quality. Also this one has traveled a bit more than most. So £50 might be about right. Though I would have liked to have seen the contents rather than just the box. I am always suspicious of sellers who do not show the "used" contents of a clearly opened box. Especially when an empty box for this or another Impetus kit was recently on offer.

The bidding history is a bit suspect as well. 2 bidders one making 6 out of 7 of the bids - looks very shill like to me.

As the seller of this item, (which I started at a very reasonable 29.99, by the way) I take exception to the unfounded and incorrect allegation of shill bidding. I also happen to know that you were one of the bidders concerned. The buyer is a very pleasant chap from Devon who I have had no previous contact with, and I'm sure he'll enjoy his full box when it arrives.

I suggest an apology and retraction might be in order.

• Like 10

As the seller of this item, (which I started at a very reasonable 29.99, by the way) I take exception to the unfounded and incorrect allegation of shill bidding. I also happen to know that you were one of the bidders concerned. The buyer is a very pleasant chap from Devon who I have had no previous contact with, and I'm sure he'll enjoy his full box when it arrives.

Rightly so Dear Sir - You don't get a feedback score of 987 x 100% positive by "shill bidding", sometimes it may pay for some people to look at the sellers feedback history before making sweeping statements

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I take exception to the unfounded and incorrect allegation of shill bidding. .........

A recurring theme on this thread is allegations of wrong doing. I would suggest more care be taken.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

sneaky git, if an unwary person comes across that and buys it, god help them....

See my previous post re taking more care before making allegations.

His other item has postage 99p, so this is obviously a typo for £1.25. Not the actions of a "sneaky git"

Edited for accuracy

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not so much ebay madness as a salutory lesson. 44 point motors for sale (+ other bits) - selling due to a major unfinished project! Did someone get carried away a bit too much, too early?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Gaugemaster-SEEP-point-motors-and-double-toggle-switches-/160793524267?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item25700a782b

• RMweb Gold

No apology visible in-thread - but the original contribution has mysteriously disappeared. Poor show IMHO.

• Like 2

As the seller of this item, (which I started at a very reasonable 29.99, by the way)  I take exception to the unfounded and incorrect allegation of shill bidding. I also happen to know that you were one of the bidders concerned. The buyer is a very pleasant chap from Devon who I have had no previous contact with, and I'm sure he'll enjoy his full box when it arrives.

Now my original post has been deleted by some mysterious intervention that was imposed prior to being able to respond any reply now appears irrelevant.

However, firstly my post was a response to an earlier post by another member who was commenting on the price given that a similar model was priced lower than the then current selling price. That quoting of a previous post is also lost from your subsequent quote and therefore makes my comment appear totally out of context.

The main point of my post was that the kit could have genuinely been declared as rare as the majority of unstarted Impetus kits certainly are. This alone could justify the premium price. Hence my assertion that the price of £50 was indeed quite fair contrary to the assertion in the post I quoted.

The second part of my post was more to do with the strange bidding on the item. You have to agree than any item with only two bidders and where the number of bids made by one of the bidders seem to be simply to expose the bid of the other by small increments appears to be odd and will appear to the other bidder as if they have been made with the intention of bumping up the bid. By my definition that is one of the signs of "shill" bidding, usually followed by either a second chance offer or a relisting.

You are correct, I was the loosing bidder. So I can understand you and others assuming my post was "sour grapes". It was not, as I have indicated the price I bid was I believe fair and I see no problem with the final price paid. If I had genuinely thought that you, the seller, had been the second bidder you can be sure I would have taken my concerns to ebay and not RMWeb.

I am sorry that you took offense to my reference to "shill" bidding as being a suggestion that you were involved, especially as a fellow RMWeb member. I am also sorry that you may believe that discussion on here of the price for this item may have reduced interest and possible further bidding in the item. Though I still think the price achieved was fair. However, I cannot apologise for making the post given the context it was set in, and the type of bidding it contained.

I was going to use quotes out of Kentons post, but decided against it so as there is NO confusion with the item Kenton has been talking about and what I am going to say.

There are lots of reasons for people bidding up in small increments.

I dipped out on an item yesterday (your time), that I had been bidding up on.

Not that I didn't want the item, but I drew the line at how much I was prepared to spend and that amount went up over the days until I drew a solid line where to stop.

Now I bid the item up to over double what it was when I started to bid. from memory there were only us two bidding,

Does that make me a shill bidder....NO!

I wanted the item, I competed, for want of a better word with another bidder....

In the end they were prepared to may more than me.

Other times I will place the one bid to keep the item in the bidding section of my ebay page and place my highest bid as late as possible.

I think Colin was right in message 3581

khris

• Like 1