EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

But doesn't it give rise to the philosophical question about whether or not one is responsible for others' inability to read/understand the written word.?!?

I don't think one is responsible for others' inability to read (unless of course it was your job to teach them to read - which as an e-bay seller it is not.)

My response was also being pragmatic. I would want to avoid the hassle that would ensue after selling an empty box to someone who thought they had purchased a locomotive.

Regards

Colin

Edited by Colin_McLeod

I normally believe that what people spend their money on is their own business but just a while ago I saw someone on E Bay with a feedback of nearly 5000 pay £31 for 2 used Tortoise Point motors.

This is more than you can buy them new for :O

Did I miss something here because this to me just defies logic.

http://www.ebay.ie/i...984.m1438.l2649

Yes, upon reflection I think you are right Colin. As I said in my previous post the listing clearly states that this item is a box. I will make sure the questioner is in full possession of the facts. But doesn't it give rise to the philosophical question about whether or not one is responsible for others' inability to read/understand the written word.?!?

And after all this, both boxes sell to the same bidder. Half an hour later I receive this:

"Hello I am so so sorry for bidding on your items! I thought they was trains I was going to buy them as a present for my dad then realised it was just a box, very sorry for messing you about."

• RMweb Premium

Empty boxes, labels, and oil capsules etc can all be big sellers especially for rare items - and boxes not just for model railways but also for diecast models such as Dinky and Corgi toys. And boxes in good condition can go for quite big money - there is a ready market for older boxes in good condition, sometimes worth far more than their contents. (first thing we ever sold on Ebay was an empty box - for £21).

this does make some sort of sense - you could have an immaculate, mint condition item without box and it'll be worth a certain amount. find a mint box to put it in and i suspect your expensive empty box will pay for itself

as an aside, there's the other extreme of someone listing an 'item' with photos - but what the seller tried to say is they were bidding on the photos of the items, not the items themselves! don't know how it panned out tho

And after all this, both boxes sell to the same bidder. Half an hour later I receive this:

"Hello I am so so sorry for bidding on your items! I thought they was trains I was going to buy them as a present for my dad then realised it was just a box, very sorry for messing you about."

Lordy..

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone enlighten me on why this has gone so high.Is due to the copyright being included ?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c2b7db9e8

All the slides we shall be selling are originals and therefore sold with full rights to future use but are sold without copyright because we do not have copyright ownership.

Can anyone explain this to me, doesn't make sense to my tiny mind, especially on a monday morning,

Mike.

All the slides we shall be selling are originals and therefore sold with full rights to future use but are sold without copyright because we do not have copyright ownership.

Can anyone explain this to me, doesn't make sense to my tiny mind, especially on a monday morning,

Mike.

Read the notes with the slide and it will be a bit more clear.

They own the photo but as they are not the person who took it they do not own the copyright unless they have a written note transfering the copyright from the photographer to them.

They own the photo and the reproduction rights but possibly technically not the copyright.

A lot of people would not make the destinction. All credit to them for doing so.

I have several folders of MOD photographs on my computer and the all carry a note as to exactly what I can do with them. All are restricted use but a legal nightmare as to exactly what use short of asking the authorities each and every time.

Just came across another example at TNA where I was free to read and copy documents that I could previously only read under supervision but was restricted to keeping them to myself and not allowed to publish any part of them until 1945. (100 years after the end of WW11).

Totally OT and an extreme example but used to highlight the nightmare surrounding he subject.

Bernard

Copyright law is a bit of a minefield.

I normally believe that what people spend their money on is their own business but just a while ago I saw someone on E Bay with a feedback of nearly 5000 pay £31 for 2 used Tortoise Point motors.

This is more than you can buy them new for :O

It is a bit like buying a classic car - they have been nicely run-in - the typical Sunday night frenzy a bit like betting on the horses/football/penny arcade machines .... just got to win something - anything at any price.

• RMweb Gold

Read the notes with the slide and it will be a bit more clear.

They own the photo but as they are not the person who took it they do not own the copyright unless they have a written note transfering the copyright from the photographer to them.

They own the photo and the reproduction rights but possibly technically not the copyright.

A lot of people would not make the destinction. All credit to them for doing so.

I have several folders of MOD photographs on my computer and the all carry a note as to exactly what I can do with them. All are restricted use but a legal nightmare as to exactly what use short of asking the authorities each and every time.

Just came across another example at TNA where I was free to read and copy documents that I could previously only read under supervision but was restricted to keeping them to myself and not allowed to publish any part of them until 1945. (100 years after the end of WW11).

Totally OT and an extreme example but used to highlight the nightmare surrounding he subject.

Bernard

Copyright law is a bit of a minefield.

Thanks Bernard, but, what is the (technical/legal) difference between owning the full rights to future use and owning copyright, is that not full rights?

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

Thanks Bernard, but, what is the (technical/legal) difference between owning the full rights to future use and owning copyright, is that not full rights?

Mike.

Not a clue Mike.

I doubt that it has ever been tested in court over the typical photographs that most of us deal with.

The only time I ever put in a claim against a national newspaper regarding their unauthorized use of a photo they paid up straight away.

Probably most such companies work in this way and the small firm or individual decides that the possible reward for taking legal action is not worth the bother.

I suppose if the ambulance chasers thought hat there was money in chasing copyright issues they would have done so by now.

Bernard

• Like 1

Isn't £20 + £4 p&p a bit too much for a Lima Deltic anyway?

It is for one where the nameplates have all but rubbed away and which has a paint job as bad as that!

Unrelated to our hobby - and in no way mad, but this item is interesting. As the proceeds are for a Swedish cancer charity, I hope the remaining few days see it go through the roof! http://www.ebay.com/...em=110959436247

More than a tad out of my price range but good luck to them :)