EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

On 12/01/2021 at 13:11, John M Upton said:

Don't even get me started on the outrageous prices now being demanded for US outline HO..... :angry:

Oddly, the best price that I could find on ebay on a used (it appears to be NIB) Athearn Southern Pacific SD45 (#9013) was from a seller in the UK. With the Royal Mail shipping it still came to about half of what I was seeing over here.

SD45 #9013

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Ironically having said that I have just bagged a nice HO box car for under five sheets!!!

You are doing well. I just got four box cars for £23.10 including postage which was very pleasing.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Why is taking the label off so important? Removing the label can damage the box, so better to leave on, IMO.

As for the price asked, no one needs to pay the amount offered, it's voluntary. If the seller gets left with it, because the price is too high, where's the problem?

If resale price had to be related to the original price ticket, no-one would pay £100 for a boxed Dinky Toy with a price of 3/6 on it - but many do!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of finding bargains on eBay, I find that doing my searches with a maximum price set a small amount above what I want to pay stops me seeing the expensive stuff and starting to spend too much. For the box cars I bought earlier I had put £7 and hoped to get some for around £5 which is what happened. Before putting the £7 maximum in I had been faced with pages of £15 and upwards box cars which I had no intention of buying but meant I was skipping through the pages quickly and often missing stuff that was in my price range. By using the system I found lots of cheaper box cars and found a seller with lots in my price range. I bought them all from one seller to get a discount on postage. If it works on box cars I am sure it will work on anything else you may be after.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On the subject of 'rare', I have just come across this buyer:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/55iains who has nearly three pages of diecast models of trucks, cars, buses etc (as well as some ladies clothes), every single one of which is described as RARE! He is even offering more than one of each of some of the items, which obviously shows how rare they are - in fact, just to take one example - the Atlas editions J T Whittle Burlingham Seagull coach - there are over 80 for sale on eBay at the moment, so not really rare then. Still, I suppose that we should be grateful he has not put 'L@@K' in front of every listing.

Richard

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

25 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333853378495?_trksid=p2499334.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI333853378495.N36.S1.typeWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON.R1.TR10

I remember these when they were sold new for 80p each - with wheels! I'm SO glad I stocked up at the time! :)

Likewise. I have got back into railway modelling after a good 20 years and am working my way through kits that cost £1.50 each when I was at school in the 80s, that are now fetching ten times as much now. Okay, all prices have gone up blah blah, but it's more of a reflection of the fact that there isn't the variety of kits and parts out there anymore. 

Conversely, I have just been outbid on a secondhand kit, it went for about 20p more than a new one that is still available. Auction fever. I clicked buy it now. Ok, I didn't get a bargain, but at least I haven't paid over the odds either.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

That as I am sure you know, isn't cracked paint, it's metal fatigue or Mazak decomposition.

It's scrap.

Definitely a Not as described!

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Conversely, I have just been outbid on a secondhand kit, it went for about 20p more than a new one that is still available. Auction fever. I clicked buy it now. Ok, I didn't get a bargain, but at least I haven't paid over the odds either.

Sign of the times, until the bug subsides, I fear!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2021 at 22:50, MrWolf said:

That as I am sure you know, isn't cracked paint, it's metal fatigue or Mazak decomposition.

It's scrap.

Definitely a Not as described!

I'm afraid you're quite wrong there young Wolfy.

During the war (said Uncle Albert style) the Great Waste of Rails were suffering from the metal shortage experienced by the rest of industry, and in order to overcome this issue looked at using other materials to build locomotives with. This is a model of one of the experimental engines built with crazy paving, so therefore is an accurate portrayal.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

During the war (said Uncle Albert style) the Great Waste of Rails were suffering from the metal shortage experienced by the rest of industry, and in order to overcome this issue looked at using other materials to build locomotives with. This is a model of one of the experimental engines built with crazy paving, so therefore is an accurate portrayal.

Mike.

You couldn't resist a bargain and bought it, didn't you? :sarcastichand:

• Funny 7

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Model railway engineering meets Ground Force? ;) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Ever since Brexit happened E Bay sellers have totally lost the run of themselves in regards to postage to Ireland.

A postcard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Southern-Western-Railway-Ireland-Official-Postcard-Kerry-Hotels-2/383903904568

£10.03 to post a postcard.

A 6" X 4" photo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iarnrod-Eireann-Class-071-No-080-Dublin-Heuston-Irish-Railways-6x4-Photo-Print/254493827082?hash=item3b4103a00a:g:79MAAOSwXRleLfV7

£10.88 to post a 6" X 4"photo ?

I know Royal Mail charge high prices but this is just taking the p*** :rolleyes:

Edited by amdaley
  • Agree 5