EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, big jim said:

I can’t comment on the price either but it’s the listing that’s a bit naughty, a pic of the finished item (with all the additional cost items added, basically the finished product) no other pics of what you will actually get for your £85 which is I suspect a resin wagon body and a couple of bits of etch for the brake indicator and lamp bracket  

Many moons ago there used to be a notorious rouge seller called Aldo1080 who had a fair few entries on a similar thread to this on probably three or four versions ago of RMWeb.  Among his many selling tactics was flogging the old Dapol plastic kit for the prototype Deltic with a picture of a fully finished, painted and running kit at an exorbitant price but you of course only got the basic bits of plastic in a bag for your cash.

He also had a hilarious line in "professionally weathered" locomotives which by the time he had finished looked like a lump of dung with some wheels poking out the bottom....

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Metal-Kit-Built-GWR-2-4-0-Metro-Tank-Loco-Body/363240179078?hash=item5492cd4586:g:~HIAAOSwuLdf7Nr9

"... painted and weathered to a high standard." What appears to be quite a decent pre-1936 GW loco livery wafted over with an apparent light grey undercoat, partially covering transfers and etched plates. The buyer will have no choice but to strip it and start again. I have seen these 'paint jobs' undertaken by 'dealers' before attempting to eBay their victims.

Arrrggghhhh!!   Another seller who uses that catch all irritating can't be bothered description "condition as photos".

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Many moons ago there used to be a notorious rouge seller called Aldo1080 who had a fair few entries on a similar thread to this on probably three or four versions ago of RMWeb.  Among his many selling tactics was flogging the old Dapol plastic kit for the prototype Deltic with a picture of a fully finished, painted and running kit at an exorbitant price but you of course only got the basic bits of plastic in a bag for your cash.

He also had a hilarious line in "professionally weathered" locomotives which by the time he had finished looked like a lump of dung with some wheels poking out the bottom....

And there's me thinking that dung beetles had legs! ;)

Ebay provides disturbing glimpses into the darkest corners of the model railway hobby - what really occurs in bedrooms, sheds and attics up and down the UK. We should work to rescue the innocent victims! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2020 at 04:51, Paul H Vigor said:

Ah ha! This is the VERY RARE edition of the RAILWAY MODELLER VOLUME 42 NUMBER 484 MARCH 1991 with the embarrassing spelling mistake on page 23! Most copies were withdrawn from sale and pulped. Only a handful of unaltered copies made it onto newsagents' shelves. This appears to to be one of those few??

You can't fool me! Everyone knows that RM numbers run through the volume - so there is NO page 23 in a March issue!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Metal-Kit-Built-GWR-2-4-0-Metro-Tank-Loco-Body/363240179078?hash=item5492cd4586:g:~HIAAOSwuLdf7Nr9

"... painted and weathered to a high standard." What appears to be quite a decent pre-1936 GW loco livery wafted over with an apparent light grey undercoat, partially covering transfers and etched plates. The buyer will have no choice but to strip it and start again. I have seen these 'paint jobs' undertaken by 'dealers' before attempting to eBay their victims.

Surely, it should be advertised as a 2-0-0?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

That's following early railway practice of painting grey for the photo!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

7 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I'll leave this to the diesel boys! :)

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I see that the seller has some other “representatations” for sale.

...but no cigar.

Cheers

Darius

They might be ok for the mechanisms?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Not so much madness, just a demonstration of the greed which eBay creates.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rails-Of-Sheffield-50-Anniversary-Wagon/224293859876?hash=item3438f4b224:g:aAYAAOSwQHVf5v3W

Seller's user name is shown as "preed".   Is that a mis-type for "greed"  ?

5 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Seller's user name is shown as "preed".   Is that a mis-type for "greed"  ?

Being a modeller and not a 'collector', I must say I have no interest in these odd, limited edition 'anniversary'/advertising wagons and vans. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3