Victorian Railways J Class 2-8-0 (Steam Era Models)

Hi Horsetan,

Yeah, Tony does a pretty good job. Multiple sets were done, with one set costing $A50 plus postage. Although, this doesn't include the time taken to produce the artwork in the first place...

Well, the steam chests and motion gear brackets had a party this evening. It's starting to look like a steam locomotive now. (Please excuse the grotty items - they were yet to take a wash in the ultrasonic bath at the time of photographing.)

FramesFromAbove.jpg

Framesfromside.jpg

FootPlateandBoiler.jpg

Julian

Julian that is looking very nice. I thnk the change from the "battle ship plate" chassis from DJH to the etched finescale chassis certainly will add a finess to the loco let alone making the whole process easier!

Hi N15class,

Yes, the brass castings are well done indeed. I think I know who undertook the lost wax casting but will check and get back to you.

Hi Horsetan & DougN,

I have one more set of broad gauge frame etches left, for the previously stated price of $A50 plus postage. It should be noted that the SEM J Class kit is no longer available (recently sold out), and have it on good authority that it will not be re-run. (Although, I'm sure that there's plenty of unmade kits sitting in people's cupboards, waiting for a day that will never come.)

I thought that you modelled the German prototype, Horsetan?

Julian

Well Horse I do recall some one neying over a R class at a certain emporium in Croydon 11 years ago! Would you like me to keep an eye out for when a cupboard is opened and a kit falls out? You know I do go to a few swapmeets every now and again! We can certainly arrange a swap. if/ when I find one!

Can I reserve the etch set that you have, and let me know how you would like to be paid?

Sold to the man in the hat! I'll PM you shortly to get your postal details, Horsetan. I like to be paid with money (although I'll accept beer also).

Hi John E,

Thank you for the kind words. Nice to see that you too are a collector of all things that 'take your fancy'. Why not?!

Hi DougN,

As a matter of fact, someone has a Steam Era Model R Class kit on eBay at the moment:

http://www.ebay.com....=item3cc3fbeec9

As much as I'd like it, I'm taking one step at a time... Although, I may have to use you as my 'heavy', should I need to convince someone to part with a loco kit... :no:

Well, I spent all weekend making my 3 year old daughter a wooden play kitchen. Between this and a busy work life, I've not got much done in the last few days. This will change tomorrow evening!

Julian

Well Horse I do recall some one neying over a R class at a certain emporium in Croydon 11 years ago! Would you like me to keep an eye out for when a cupboard is opened and a kit falls out?.....

It was a very uncertain neighing, given that I'd worked out that the sterling cost would have been about £400+ if I'd gone ahead and bought it.

What the hell, go on then. A "J" and an "R". What fun that would be. They could run on the Irish broad gauge.

The eBay "R" kit is only available to Aussie buyers.

Sold to the man in the hat! I'll PM you shortly to get your postal details, Horsetan. I like to be paid with money (although I'll accept beer also).

You'll need to find out the postage cost to the UK. Can pay via PayPal if you are a PP user.

Horse you know where I live and I can certainly drop it in the post to you if you were successful. I will make sure that the Swap meet (dis) organiser that if he gets one he will give me a call he even takes Visa....

(You may not know that i have a bad habit of spending other peoples money very successfully :O )

I just PM'd you for your address.

Replied!

Horse you know where I live and I can certainly drop it in the post to you if you were successful. I will make sure that the Swap meet (dis) organiser that if he gets one he will give me a call he even takes Visa....

I've got your address now.

Suspect that the only bidder on this kit has put in a high proxy bid (in which case I'll find out what that is....), but will have a go anyway.

UPDATE: OK, have tried to bid, but eBay bans me from bidding because I am UK-based / UK-resident.

Horsetan

As one who bids on Ebay UK quite frequently, I have found sending an email asking if they will sell OS really helps. Quite a few people follow default settings or do not consider that someone OS might have an interest. The only time I had a knock back was when someone told me all Australians are convicts and he would not sell to criminals. I am of convict descent, but I am 100% honest! Anyway, the bidder who won his auction defaulted and he then offered it to me. Oh the pleasure!

There is a RTR R class apparently arriving "soon" (that has been said for 5 years now) so I do not think there will be a rerun of the R, but I think SEM still have stocks of the X class and that is a nice looking loco!

regards,

Craig W

Horsetan

As one who bids on Ebay UK quite frequently, I have found sending an email asking if they will sell OS really helps. Quite a few people follow default settings or do not consider that someone OS might have an interest. ....

Might be too late for that now, as the auction only has a few hours to run.

Well you could have loged in from an unknown computer and put in an address that was a .com.au address! Any how there will always be more (if not the same one in a few years time!)

Well you could have loged in from an unknown computer and put in an address that was a .com.au address! Any how there will always be more (if not the same one in a few years time!)

Let me know if a part-built or unbuilt "R" comes up. I'd like to have a go "doing a Julian" on it for P87.

All,

I’ve been as busy as a one armed brick layer at work. So apologies for disappearing.

However, I have been undertaking some work to the kits so will update shortly with some photos - I’ve got to head off to the airport to jump a flight to the Old Dart. But here's part of the reason behind the delay (ie the test track):

TestTrack.jpg

TestTrack2.jpg

Horsetan,

What a pain about not being able to bid for the R Class locomotive kit. Sorry to hear it.

N15class,

To (finally) answer your question; Stephen Wright (New South Wales, Australia) did the casting for the kit. However, apparently, he has retired from the business now and no longer does casting work.

Julian

All,

TestTrack2.jpg

Horsetan,

What a pain about not being able to bid for the R Class locomotive kit. Sorry to hear it.

N15class,

To (finally) answer your question; Stephen Wright (New South Wales, Australia) did the casting for the kit. However, apparently, he has retired from the business now and no longer does casting work.

Julian

Hi Julian,

Nice Z van. It is a SEM with hand rails replaced, sergents couplers and window bars...............

Damian

Hello from Linlithgow!

I find myself in a lovely Scottish village this weekend, preparing for a good friend’s wedding today (in a castle, no less)!

Anyway, I’ve attached some photos that I had intended to post many days ago. A busy work schedule and a poor internet connection put paid to that! So here they (finally) are:

Tender Frames, fresh from paint shop with undercoat.

TenderUnderframes.jpg

Pony truck frame.

PonyTruckframe.jpg

Frames, with air tanks and rear headstock (note that the new frames were design to accept standard High Level Kits 1/8 inch bearings and associated hornblock).

LocoFrames.jpg

Bearingandhornblocks.jpg

Hi Damian,

Yes, the ZL guard’s van features the modifications that you have outlined – well spotted! It’s almost finished but requires more decaling and a buff roofs (ie not green!). And just so there’s no confusion; no, the roofs are not yet attached! Incidentally, ZL 62 was the only photographic example that I could find that ran on disc wheels. And the ELX gondola in front is a modified Austrains item (Sergent couplers, brass air hose from Model Etch), which has undergone some weathering but still requires a ‘load’ and some teabag tarps.

ZLELX.jpg

ZL62.jpg

Regards,

Julian

Archived