Victorian Railways J Class 2-8-0 (Steam Era Models)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All,

I've been hammering away at the J Class, with attention firmly on the chassis and wheels.

One of the modifications includes CSB compensation. In order to enable this to 'work' the single-piece connecting rod etch was replaced with a modified etch from Steam Era Models.

As can be see, the replacement is composed of three individual connecting rods, with linkages - just like the prototype...

Julian

ConnectingRods_zps79d0de17.jpg

All,

I tried for one last blast to get it running but work and Christmas (flying back to Australia) intervened. And the Mashima motor is cactus... Anyway, you can see that it’s getting close (note that the boiler is only sitting on the frames and so is not square.

Julian

FrameandWheels_zpsff7c130b.jpg

Withbody_zps1ad77369.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the kind words (and apologies for delayed reply).

I've been hitting it hard over the last few weeks and have managed to get the drivers on, with the motion gear.

My apologies for the disgusting state of the engine - it's yet to have a shower. The tender is in undercoat, as it was completed some time ago. The frame needs to be proven on the tracks (particularly through some points), followed by completion.

I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers,

Julian

JClass_zps5fdb6831.jpg

• 1 year later...
All,

It’s been many months since last posting. However, I’ve made a lot of progress on the J Class; it’s finally running smoothly.

As can be seen from the images below, a lot of detail must now be added. This ‘prototype’ is my model. But I can now finally move forward with confidence onto the second J Class kit modification, which I have promised a mate. Thanks for your patients, Damian!

Actually, there must be something in the water for 18.37mm broad gauge Prooto87 steam locos. Firstly, Damian is anticipating delivery of another Victorian Railways (VR) steam loco. While a mutual modelling friend is close to producing a South Australian Railways (SAR) steam loco kit. But I’ll let the respective modellers provide more details…

VR and SAR broad gauge Proto87 steam locos? We’re off to the races!

Julian

JClassFeb20142_zpsf5faeff6.jpg

JClassFeb20141_zps4872e228.jpg

JClassFeb20143_zps88b84cfd.jpg

Hey there Horse!

Good to hear from you. I think I saw the same 'auction' - and had the same thought. Crazy.

There was only ever the one up for grabs. I do wish SEM would do another batch and put everyone out of their misery. There is unlikely to be one in RTR anyway.

Not so sure on that one Horse... There has been a move towards RTR here in Melbourne I will do some digging at the next exhibition at sundown and see what the rumours hold. Brunel models have just released the NA from puffing billy. I was at the owners house on Friday and they had the first batchs. I believe that they are economic to produce so their might be more RTR coming from that source.

Doug

• 2 years later...

Not so sure on that one Horse... There has been a move towards RTR here in Melbourne I will do some digging at the next exhibition at sundown and see what the rumours hold. Brunel models have just released the NA from puffing billy. I was at the owners house on Friday and they had the first batchs. I believe that they are economic to produce so their might be more RTR coming from that source.

Doug

I'd be expecting RTR J (and N) models from Eureka one day (insert snark about Eureka delays here), recycling some of the work done developing the K.

Two years later, did anything happen?

Archived