Victorian Railways J Class 2-8-0 (Steam Era Models)

Hi Horsetan,

Well, I'll keep an ear to the ground for a J kit - while I don't want to estimate a proportion, I'm regularly told that there are many unmade kits in cupboards etc.

The trick is finding an owner who has decided to sell (I suspect that many hang on to the dream of getting around to it 'one day').

Well, it's back to Vancouver today after my short visit to the UK. Had a great time in Scotland at my friend's wedding. And it's been great to see some old mates down in the South East too.

Back to work. Yeah...

Julian

All,

My apologies for the lack of updates in the last few weeks. I've got my back to the wall with work and it isn’t about to let up too soon.

I'm off to the arctic circle for three weeks tomorrow. While I'd like to take a soldering iron and some bits and pieces, I'm told that I'll be too busy keeping a look out for bears, wolves, and warm places to be. Just so you get the picture, this was taken late last week:

IMG_2910c.jpg

See you in mid May...

Julian

Hi Horsetan,

I work in the mining industry as a rock mechanics engineer (a shiny headed consultant). It's taken me to some interesting places - this one is no exception. And yes, it does feel like a silly one on occasions, Tatty!

Just arrived in a far flung town and about to head to the 'accommodation', which I note gets som of the lowest Google ratings that I've ever read. I may be violated by rats this evening.

Keep me in your prayers.

Julian

PS: thanks for the kind words, Tatty.

Hi Horsetan,

I work in the mining industry as a rock mechanics engineer (a shiny headed consultant). ..

I don't suppose there's much call for a lawyer in the Arctic Circle.

Just arrived in a far flung town and about to head to the 'accommodation', which I note gets som of the lowest Google ratings that I've ever read. I may be violated by rats this evening.

They can survive anywhere. They might even have come up from the London Underground.

Hi Horsetan

I'm in Yellowknife, the staging point for the 'Ice Truckers' series on Discovery Channel. If you like representing people that have been charged with smashing a chair over the head of his best mate last Friday night because "...he was lookin' at me sister..." then I suggest that you relocate your practice as a matter of urgency.

Arrived at the hotel. I made a lot of noise and flicked the lights on and off a few times before entering the room, which seems to have done the trick. Yes, the London Underground rats can be rather large. It's surprising that some of them fit down the tunnels.

Anyway, off to the local pub for a beer and burger. I'll be sure to leave your details at the bar, Horsetan.

Julian

Oh this is all sounding familar. Julian I spent some time in Kokopo in PNG (around the calderia from a Volcano and Rabaul).... I thought that place was a little rough when in a local bar having a quiet beer (SP horrible stuff really) some of my ëmployees "came over and told me it was time to leave.... I didn't ask twice. There was a brawl and 2 people ended up dead..... I did say a little rough....

I guess the locals are a little different to Melbournians...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello from the Arctic!

Well, my ‘tour’ is rapidly coming to a close. What can I say? It’s been cold but a lot of fun. It would have to be one of the most beautiful places that I’ve had the fortune to visit. The highlight would be seeing the Northern Lights. Amazing

After a long wait, my good friend and wheel wright has found time between his family, project managing the construction of multimillion dollar oil platforms, and making UK steam loco kits to complete two sets of broad gauge P87 wheels for the J Class kits. They should be arriving in Grand Canadia over the next week or so – happily, this also coincides with my arrival!

Finally, a few shots of what has been ‘my office’ over the last three weeks; Nunavut, in the Northwest Territories.

Hercules Supply Aircraft (Note that the airstrip is located on a frozen lake that currently has over 2.5m/8 feet of ice on it.)

HerculesSupplyPlane.jpg

Yours Truly Walking in a Blizzard

Dadawalkingthroughablizard.jpg

Arctic Wolf

ArcticWolf.jpg

Arctic Sunrise/Sunset (This is about as dark as it gets up here at this time of year. In a few months' time it'll be bright daylight all day and night)

ArcticSunRiseattheDrillRig.jpg

Speak very soon with some juicy P87 broad gauge modelling updates.

Julian

Hi DougN,

Sorry not to respond sooner – I’ve been out of ‘circulation’ in more ways than one!

Some friends have worked in PNG, and have told me the stories. Not for the faint hearted!

Speaking of rough places and Melbourne: I recall having a beer one sunny afternoon at the Cheery Tree Hotel, located in the once working class inner suburb/now 'yuppyfied' residential back blocks of Richmond. It was a lovely restored example of Victorian public house architecture. Anyway, I got speaking to the pub's manager who told me that it was once the hangout of a notorious crime family back in 1950’s. Led by their mum, the two sons were known to do such things as dispose of people using a sharp implement, a 44 gallon drum, a boat, and some bricks.

Charming.

Julian

Yes I once drank at the Cherry Tree... the one in Cremone (Richmond) It was at the time the regular haunt of most of the professionals of a few major commercial Construction Companies we ended up moving the regular pub to one in church st.

Yes all interesting thoughts. Not that I consume much any more and it really isn't a good idea before modelling! I think I still hold the weirdest place that Dave Bradwell ever sent a Kit too (PNG) Then again it is hard to get modelling supplies in far flung places with variable post!

Hi All,

Unfortunately, the wheel have not yet arrive - I'm expecting them sometime this week.

Consequently, I've carried on with the construction of the second broad gauge frame and front pony truck.

I have also given the two tenders a coat of Vallejo acrylic grey primer, which has left a nice finish.

CoalTenderVallejoPrimer.jpg

Julian

Julian, the best black that I have found is a semi gloss Tamyia in a spray can for the main bodies. Then flat black for the bogies etc with things that need a bit of a dead black. It might be worth a try when you come to painting the bodies. I have found the Tamiya brand to be very reliable and produced a nice even finsh with good leveling characteristics. IE smooths out with out curtains!

Hi Horse,

Thanks for the kind...ahem...onomatopoeia.

Hi N15class,

I’ve found it to be very good. The Vallejo primer is actually designed to be used with brass (not that such promises are always fulfilled, of course). The large (200ml) bottle with the easy pour top, and ‘no thinning required’ feature all helps!

It should also be noted that I have given the items a quick ‘seeing to’ in the grit blaster, which provides a good key for the primer.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the tip. I’ve also used Tamiya paints to good effect. Many mix black with an equal part of grey which captures that dirty, dusty appearance. I did it recently with the ZL van (back a few posts).

Julian

Hi Horse,

Thanks for the kind...ahem...onomatopoeia.....

Since there are no more "J" class kits to be had - and certainly not available to the UK market - I have found a suitably minimalist picture frame for the corrected chassis etch that you kindly let me have.....

post-6879-0-19755900-1337183213_thumb.jpg

I love it, Horse!

The real J Class locos were manufacture in the UK by Vulcan Foundry, Lancashire. So it's fitting that a small piece of it has (sort of) made it back home.

Be assured there's J Class kits out there, lurking in dark cupboards. I, for one, will be keeping my ear to the ground for you.

Julian

All,

The modified Proto87 wheel sets arrived today. Cheers, Pete.

They fit well but need a little work to ensure that the horn blocks move a little more freely.

Next will be counter weights, installing the motion gear, and having it move smoothly under its own power.

Julian

P87Wheelsinframes1.jpg

P87Wheelsinframes3.jpg

P87Wheelsinframes2.jpg

Archived