Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

To which you then respond, 'No? It's lucky I thought to bring my Coleman stove then. I'll just pop out and get some petrol for it from the car. I don't suppose you've got a plastic cup I could borrow, have you?'

Prefer the Kelly Kettle myself - lots more entertainment. Could use it to burn, well, anything that annoys you...

http://kellykettle.com/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about the Sodor Railway modelled realistically, appropriate loco classes but NO faces; liveries applied in a less cartoonish way with narrow lining and less gross numbers, preferably in a serif font. Thomas would be a real E2, Edward the appropriate Furness 4-4-0 class and James, well what was he based on? You'd have to match Gordon to his back story and as for Henry, either kit/RTR-bash a Gresley-style loco or do the later quasi-Black 5 rebuild. Ignore anything introduced by the TV series, but include a bit of the narrow gauge. The kids would be SO disappointed at the lack of faces! I wonder what the other visitors and public would think? Personally I think it's a viable alternate reality concept and would look good if done well. Would any EMs book it though? And no, I'm not doing it.

Pete

Edited by petethemole
  • Like 2

What you described Pete is near enough what Awdry actually did.

Another way to get lynched:

1. Attend said model rail show

2. Lead uprising against shows organisers

3. Install dictatorship

4. Make all (model) trains run on time

5. Instigate forced washing for all visitors

6. Watch people revolt against you

7. Actually get lynched...

Either that or you could just state incredibly loudly that Brio is the future of finescale modelling...

• Like 1

.... The kids would be SO disappointed at the lack of faces! I wonder what the other visitors and public would think? ...

I saw a woman at the Severn Valley Railway once asking a member of Staff where the engines were with faces on them??... it wasn't a designated "Thomas" weekend; this woman had several disappointed-looking children in tow, and she was getting quite irate that none of the engines had faces, insisting to this Staff member (who must have dug deep into his reserves of patience that day) that "Steam Trains have faces!!"....

• Funny 1

I donno about getting lynched at a show, but one way to ensure you kept a compartment to yourself (in the old days, when most trains had 'em! ;) ) was Raucous laughter, if there was two or more of you, also tended to keep 'em out!... :lol:

Ma train hame frae Glesga an Frydee had a party a' 9 weegies an it. Twas one a the hens fuftieth bathday 'n' a party wuz wit they wuz hevvin -They wuz an the champers, an' red 'n'white wine fae the hale trup tae Inverniss - Raucous jist wasnae the word fae it! :O Jist glad ah didnae ha' tae stay in the same hotel that night!

Rab C Nesbit

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ban operators from using the phrase “it doesn't usual fall off thereâ€

Onlookers should immediately ask, "where is the usual place that they fall off, then?".

Kevin Martin

• Like 6

Onlookers should immediately ask, "where is the usual place that they fall off, then?". Kevin Martin

Operators should have the option to reply, "you built many layouts, then?" (trusting to luck that the onlooker was not a competent builder). Alternate response; "I was modelling a derailment that took place here in 1947"

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

Lean across the layout and helpfully push the stock from the carriage siding towards platform 1. Didn't reach, as the pick up goods was leaving the yard and they met on the single slip. Happened at one of Paddington Pauls shows so, of course, no barriers.

Bill