Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

• RMweb Premium

. Who, in 1975 or 76 would have expected people to be getting nostalgic for the HSTs, it was bad enough replacing the Valentas with MTUS!!

That will provoke similar reactions to all the previous changes, but it'll go ahead because most of the fare paying passengers don't give a rats*ss what kind of train they're on. So long as they get where they want, when they want it's OK.

We were happy with Vp185 as it was still Paxman

But to be honest I have now lost interest.

What did it recently for me was Modern Image NOT being BR blue era

Mike Delamar posted pics of this train earlier, but this one caught my eye on George of Dufton's Flickr site. The contrast between the new Mk2 behind the loco and the somewhat tired LMS period 2 (?) coach in the background is marked.

42574/42644 Blaenau Ffestiniog 24.9.66

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike Delamar posted pics of this train earlier, but this one caught my eye on George of Dufton's Flickr site. The contrast between the new Mk2 behind the loco and the somewhat tired LMS period 2 (?) coach in the background is marked.

http://www.flickr.co...N08/7141758229/

Just as well the latter is not in revenue service then (by the look of it).

Interesting photo - what's a "Tadpole" doing at Southampton Central?

The obvious answer is 'nothing much' as it appears to be on a siding approximately where the old Southampton West End station used to be, but it is a long way from the Redhill-Reading line...

Edited by talisman56

Guest Max Stafford

Look at the roof panel on the far away end. Couldn't it be a DEMU?

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Look at the roof panel on the far away end. Couldn't it be a DEMU?

Dave.

Tadpoles are DEMU's..... The other giveaway is that it's 3-car.

The "Tadpole" nickname is from one normal width car (ex-EMU?) and two narrow profile Hastings DEMU cars.

Cheers,

Mick

I'm still searching (no luck) for a pix of a Green FYE Brush 4 alongside a steam loco (pre Aug 68).

Best I've found so far is this shot of D1665 Titan at Newport on 2 Feb 68. She's a bit mucky so probably recieved her FYE in late / mid 1967. That'll do for me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/2366914638/

The pix Michael posted towing Flying Scotsman to Liverpool for her USA trip was in 1969 (According to Wikipedia).

Now, big question, when did / what was the first Green Brush 4 to receive FYE ?.

The first all blue Brush 4's (after D1733) are listed here, (1967 observations, along with other loco's). Scroll down a bit. A good site to go with this thread.

http://www.railblue.com/rail_blue_history.htm

Brit15

I'm still searching (no luck) for a pix of a Green FYE Brush 4 alongside a steam loco (pre Aug 68).

Now, big question, when did / what was the first Green Brush 4 to receive FYE ?.

I wouldnt knock yourself out - it happened, no doubt about it. FYEs started to appear in 1966, by '67 they'd have been fairly numerous.

That's interesting, I don't recall seeing a crimson smokebox number plate before. I take it that it would have been an unoffical depot modification?

I dont think there was any rhyme or reason to it Martin, but you do see a few examples during the '60s. IIRC I've seen ScR blue ones as well :sungum:

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 2

Brit15

Try for pictures of the SW Main line out of Waterloo - Two-tone Green 47s with FYEs regularly appeared on what were ostensibly MN/WC rostered services during the last 18 months of steam there... so the chances of someone picturing a 47 and a steam-hauled service would be pretty good, particularly at Waterloo.

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info / photos. I should have known this, probably saw them together dozens of times - but time erases memories, and my own photos didn't help.

Brit15

That's interesting, I don't recall seeing a crimson smokebox number plate before. I take it that it would have been an unoffical depot modification?

I think it's safe to say that it wasn't official. Red plates weren't unknown (but very rare) in SW Scotland. I've seen pictures of red-backed numberplates and shedplates on Corkerhill engines and a Dumfries shedplate with a red background.

• Like 2

This thread is such a wonderful breath of fresh air. Thanks Mike for all of those links to those amazing photographs. Someone one day needs to collate all of these together in a photo-book. It would be something very special indeed.

And to think, I always thought you couldn't see blue-grey with steam...how wrong can one person be!