Model Railway Partwork - Your Model Railway Village

John M Upton

The railway which provides my user name has a couple of Mk1s in Chocolate & Cream, Alun.  I gather these are originally either maroon or blue-grey stock repainted!

I forgot about chocolate and cream!  I reread my previous post and it wasn't meant as a criticism of heritage railways, although the less "preserved" a piece of rolling stock is, the less use it is to a historian or modeller.  I was on the East Lancs with my youngest recently and was mentally noting the inaccuracies in a mixed Mk1/Mk2 rake when compared to their lives on the "big railway" (frame in the brake, PA, liveries, roundels, lack of tables, disabled access, bar area, upholstery, doors (off the top of my head).  I wonder how many other people on a family day out would have noticed?  I suspect none.

Alun

The big hint that these Mk1s are not what they seem (I had always thought they were original GWR coaches) was the GWR 150 designs on the tables of the TSO!  If one looks very carefully at the coach ends one can see where original data panels have been painted over as well.

However the fact that it is a rake of 1 x BSK & 1 or 2 x TSO in chocolate & cream being puleld by an 08, often in Guinness livery or Ivor the Engine does not detract from anyone's enjoyment of the line!  It appears there is a Collett & a Hawkesworth there as well, although I don't remember riding in them...

Well quite!  In all seriousness, on Heritage Railways it's not unusual to see rolling stock inaccurately painted in maroon or green (many Mk2s and the Booth Car as above) and countless Mk1s inaccurately painted in blood and custard, the RMB being the most obvious example that springs to mind.  Then there's the countless modifications...

Alun

Is there even a Mk1 preservation society....? When I visit a preserved railway, I expect to see Mk1's as a useable resourse, just as their original owners treated them. They are a known entity and are easier to work on than their big-4 predecessors, and take the pressure off more vintage coaches. The public like them as they are still an old train, and I've never heard of an enthusiast pointing out that it's condition doesn't match the livery.

The only thing that annoys me is when they appear in a ww2 film.....

Is there even a Mk1 preservation society....? When I visit a preserved railway, I expect to see Mk1's as a useable resourse, just as their original owners treated them. They are a known entity and are easier to work on than their big-4 predecessors, and take the pressure off more vintage coaches. The public like them as they are still an old train, and I've never heard of an enthusiast pointing out that it's condition doesn't match the livery.

There are examples of Mk1s being "preserved" and "restored".  To say that they're a "known entity" is a bit of a sweeping statement, there is plenty that is not known, and I have certainly heard enthusiasts "pointing out that it's condition doesn't match the livery".  Why else would the ELR match the end of steam 1968 blue/grey rake?  However, if you read my subsequent post to the one you quoted, you would see that it doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

WW2 films?  Landrover enthusiasts have been moaning about that for decades.  How about Mk4 coaches morphing into air con Mk2s and back again, at Kings X in Harry Potter?

Alun

I suspect my lad (aka The Small Controller) probably thinks I am trying to start a Mk1 Preservation Society.  It's hard to explain to a seven year old why one is obsessively photographing the ends of a carriage as I was at the C&WR recently.

Is there even a Mk1 preservation society....?  ...and I've never heard of an enthusiast pointing out that it's condition doesn't match the livery.

Actually, read Keith Parkin's BR Mk1 Coaches, an indispensable resource if you're interested in these things.  In the supplement, he comments on both the "preservation issue" and incorrect liveries, though not in a critical way, quite the opposite.  Just for the record...

Alun

• RMweb Gold

The railway which provides my user name has a couple of Mk1s in Chocolate & Cream, Alun.  I gather these are originally either maroon or blue-grey stock repainted!

The big hint that these Mk1s are not what they seem (I had always thought they were original GWR coaches) was the GWR 150 designs on the tables of the TSO!  If one looks very carefully at the coach ends one can see where original data panels have been painted over as well.

I seem to recall that British Rail - some post privatisation TOCs - and some bus companies for that matter - have sometimes been known to repaint some of their "rolling stock" in old colour schemes.

In a number of cases, these colour schemes were abandoned many years before the "vehicles" concerned were even built - sometimes, the companies who originally used the liveries hadn't even existed for some time by the time the vehicles were built.

I can remember "heritage" DMUs (effectively Mk 1 based) appearing in service in Great Western Railway "chocolate and cream". I'm 48 - so I never encountered the original GWR. For this reason, I also don't know whether the paint colours bore any resemblance to real GWR colours.

However, I can remember that, to my eyes, this colour scheme seemed to sit very well on these DMUs.

When I visit a preserved railway, I expect to see Mk1's as a useable resourse, just as their original owners treated them.

... The public like them as they are still an old train ...

WW2 films?  Landrover enthusiasts have been moaning about that for decades.  How about Mk4 coaches morphing into air con Mk2s and back again, at Kings X in Harry Potter?

Alun

In a similar vein, I don't know how many people saw "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" the other week (on Film 4, I believe).

The film was set in the mid 1970s - and included "bedroom window" views of a railway junction - but the trains travelling over this junction looked like they had ribbed roofs, typical of Mk3 coach based multiple units.

Huw.

Going way OT here, but I am the proud owner of this, Huw, which will be my next detailing project when I have sourced some suitable wire for the handrails - I used up all the stuff in Craftsman 37, 45 & 47 kits just doing  the 37 & 45:

2012_06_20_1084-1.JPG

I remember being taken to GWR 150 events by my Father - I was just into my teens then, and suspect today's teenagers wouldn't be as excited at being taken to see a class 47 in an old livery as I was then...

anyway, back to the coaches, i've got some numbers to fit to mine, what number series should i look at adding to them (i'm doing a generic charter rake)

The number series for SKs was complicated, but a few samples are

M24000 - 24149

E24180 - 24279

Sc24280 - 24301

S24302 - 24327

W24328 - 24393

SO

W3871 -3885

E3886 - 3912

M3947 - 3969

Sc3987 - 3997

S3998 - 3999

These were early lots and would have appeared (as TK/TO) in crimson and cream, being repainted into maroon* from 1956 (or possibly 1957) The cantrail stripes on !st and catering vehicles first appeared in the sixties and went between the upper lining and the under edge of the guttering (or from 1" above the windows on unlined Southern Region vehicles.

*Alternatively green or chocolate and cream as appropriate. The BR emblem appeared on coaches used in named trains (but these tended to get mixed up so is only a general rule. Of corse, preserved rakes can be any colour their owners chose.

I managed to pick up 5 of the first issue of this magazine from WH Smiths in Darlington and to get a magazine which was okay a straight piece of track and a Mk1 Coach all for £3.99 you can't find a better bargain anywhere else at this current time for a Mk1 Coach.

Okay the coach isn't perfect but there is worse out there, at least it has NEM couplings instead of Hornby's over sized couplings and it may not be numbered but then they may of guessed most modeller's would buy in a bulk and add there own numbers.

The roof may look too plasticy but then again its only £4 and could probably easily painted or weathered.

Overall £3.99 for a Maroon Mk1 coach I aint complaining and for now as my painting skills aint that good they are too remain as they are but still looked good behind either of my A4's

Now for the rest of 'Your Model Railway Village' partwork series I'm interested as of know to see how this one will pan out I currently don't have my own layout as you could say I'm fairly new to this and all I have bar locos and rolling stock is a signal box and small station house both by Hornby from around the 80s, I have bought Issue 2 and 3 of this series and the overall look of the Station House and Ticket office looks good and easier for me to build than say a Metcalfe card board kit it may not be perfect but like I said a bit of weathering or touching up the paintwork you could have a very good 60s looking Station master's house and ticket office for £17.98 and whatever it costs to finish it to your/professional standard.

I subscribed to this partwork on Saturday after purchasing Issue 3 as I'm after the nice freebies they give you (plus its easier for me to get as I work all weekdays)

looking forward to the Tractor and Trailer (like most people) the binder, tool kit and I think its 5 plank wagon so they are all good extras just for subscribing

I think its Issue 6 where they tell you about the offer for the Jinty hopefully thats not too dear as wouldn't mind one for myself

Thanks

James

I managed to pick up 5 of the first issue of this magazine from WH Smiths in Darlington and to get a magazine which was okay a straight piece of track and a Mk1 Coach all for £3.99 you can't find a better bargain anywhere else at this current time for a Mk1 Coach.

James

Hi James - welcome to the thread, and welcome to the magical and mystical world of RMWeb :jester:

I have never looked at Brianna Banks limbs, how many has she got!

From close study of photos, I am convinced that what we have here is a cut-and-shut model. :O

Unfortunately (?), the result is somewhat overscale! :lol:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You ratbags!  I thought Brianna Banks was going to be a bit like Deanna Durbin (and her Turban) and now have a lot of explaining to do to The Long Haired Controller about the browsing history on the computer...

You ratbags!  I thought Brianna Banks was going to be a bit like Deanna Durbin (and her Turban) and now have a lot of explaining to do to The Long Haired Controller about the browsing history on the computer...

Delete!  Delete!  Delete!   :jester: 

Archived