Model Railway Partwork - Your Model Railway Village

John M Upton

Just thought I would add a list of what has been manufactured.

issue 01 comes with a Mk1 coach.

issue 02 has some parts for the station.

issue 03 comes with some more parts for the station.

issue 04 has a level crossing with a straight piece of track.

issue 05 comes with a curved piece of track and a roof with parts.

issue 06 has some end walls.

issue 07 comes with a piece of curved track and green scatter.

issue 08 comes with a home signal.

issue 09 has a large tree with a piece of curved track.

issue 10 comes with some platform sections and a piece of curved track.

issue 11 has a piece of curved track and the sides for the engine shed.

issue 12 comes with the engine shed roof and a piece of track.

issue 13 has a large oak tree and some green scatter.

issue 14 comes with a coal wagon and some green scatter.

issue 15 comes with some platform pieces.

issue 16 has some engine shed parts.

issue 17 comes with two pieces of curved track and some green scatter.

issue 18 has two buffer stops, five passengers and a straight piece of track.

issue 19 comes with a curved piece of track and some green scatter.

issue 20 has a Morris traveller and some green scatter.

issue 21 comes with a bag of ballast and some parts for the village shop.

issue 22 comes with two pieces of platforms and a set of benches.

issue 23 has a curved piece of track and two small trees.

issue 24 has some shop parts and two platform ramps.

issue 25 comes with a right hand point.

issue 26 has some building parts.

issue 27 has track pins and a right hand point.

issue 28 has a the chassis for a Mk1 coach.

issue 29 comes with a body for a Mk1 coach.

issue 30 has a left hand point and some green scatter.

issue 31 comes with a poplar tree and a street light.

issue 32 has some parts for the footbridge.

issue 33 comes with six workers and a curved piece of track.

issue 34 comes with some footbridge parts.

issue 35 has five workmen and a straight piece of track.

issue 36 has a left hand point and some brown scatter.

issue 37 has a left hand point and some green scatter.

issue 38 comes with roof part for the workers cottage and a straight piece of track.

issue 39 comes with a large tree and some scatter.

issue 40 has some green scatter and some more parts for the worker cottage.

issue 41 comes with a piece of curved track, bag of ballast and two buffer stops.

issue 42 has a left hand point and a tree.

issue 43 comes with a piece of track and the last parts for the workers cottage.

issue 44 has a bag of ballast, some green scatter and a piece of straight track.

issue 45 comes with two bags of green scatter and parts for the coal shed.

issue 46 has some green scatter and a piece of straight track.

issue 47 comes with a large oak tree and a piece of straight track.

issue 48 has the roof parts for the pub.

issue 49 comes with a straight piece of track and a bag of coal.

issue 50 comes with parts for a cow shed and a straight piece of track.

issue 51 has parts for the village pub.

issue 52 has a yew tree and a piece of straight track.

issue 53 has two bags of scatter and a curved piece of track.

issue 54 has the bode for a tank waggon.

issue 55 comes with the underframe for a tank waggon.

issue 56 has some scatter, bag of ballets and piece of curved track.

issue 57 has the first parts for the school.

issue 58 comes with a phone box and a piece of curved track.

issue 59 has some fence pieces and two bags of scatter.

issue 60 has parts for the village school.

issue 61 has a Anglian car and a straight piece of track.

issue 62 comes with two bags of scatter and a yew tree.

issue 63 has a green Anglia van and a straight piece of track.

issue 64 comes with parts for the workers terrace and a small tree.

issue 65 has a tunnel mouth with retaining walls.

issue 66 comes with parts for the workers terrace and some green scatter.

issue 67 comes with a tunnel mouth and retaining walls.

issue 68 comes with an oak tree and a curved piece of track.

issue 69 comes with detail parts for the workers cottages.

issue 70 comes with five school children and a piece of straight track.

issue 71 comes with parts for the village church roof.

issue 72 has a height loading gauge and a straight piece of track.

issue 73 comes with part of the church.

issue 74 has a piece of straight track and a tree.

issue 75 comes with parts for a village church.

issue 76 has some parts for a stone wall and some green scatter.

issue 77 has some green scatter and a wedding car.

issue 78 has the 1st parts for the Victorian villa.

issue 79 has parts for a stone wall.

issue 80 has the 2nd parts of a Victorian home.

issue 81 comes with a motorbike and fencing.

issue 82 has some final parts for the church.

issue 83 has some green scatter and a street light.

issue 84 comes with a oak tree and some cows.

issue 85 comes with parts for a Victorian villa.

issue 86 has a Austin Mini and some green scatter.

issue 87 comes with a poplar tree.

issue 88 and 90 have parts for the signal box.

Issue 89 comes with a street light and brown scatter.

issue 90 comes with parts for a signal box and some station steps.

Issue 91 has a yew tree and scatter.

Issue 92 has farm house roof.

Issue 93 comes with 2 small oak trees and ballast.

Issue 94 has Farm house walls.

Issue 95 has 2 bags of scatter and some road signs.

Issue 96 comes with the Victorian villa roof.

Issue 97 has clump scatter and a street light.

Issue 98 has a war memorial and 5 school children.

Issue 99 has Victorian villa walls.

Issue 100 has a large oak tree and 50mm fencing.

Issue 101 has a tall popular tree and 50mm fencing.

issue 102

issue 103

issue 104

issue 105 comes with some green scatter and some fencing.

I would have thought that  most people had forgotten about this expensive load of ****,  I know I had.

Keith.

I haven't; but I only bought ten copies of the cut-price Issue 1, to get the very useable clones of the Bachman Mk.1 coach. (There was a suggestion that there'd be another coach later in the series).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't; but I only bought ten copies of the cut-price Issue 1, to get the very useable clones of the Bachman Mk.1 coach. (There was a suggestion that there'd be another coach later in the series).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Its not a copy of any other model, IIRC the same coach has appeared again, in parts spread over two or three months.

Its not a copy of any other model, IIRC the same coach has appeared again, in parts spread over two or three months.

Phil,

Perhaps not an identical model, but parts are interchangeable with the Bachmann model.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 4 weeks later...

At least this magazine has done something different. The coaches mentioned are pretty standard, look more like from Hornby moulds.  The track is pretty poor(Mehano steel), and controllers available to order were Mehano. The road vehicles are Oxford Diecast so good quality. The buildings are brand new, not from any known manufacturer and make a change from the Metcalfe kits buildings found on far too many exhibition layouts.

The level crossing is the only one I have come across with the tall supporting post and wire to support gate. The other bits and pieces are useful, could be bought elsewhere, assuming you actually have a shop nearby.

Not sure how many are building layout, but at least they are building a layout. When asked , many who are making negative comments, it is found they do not have a layout. The hobby needs new blood, and different ways to get them into the hobby, then properly supported.

Then there are the articles from Phil Parker. Well-known here of course. In issue I just got, he does question brickwork on old Airfix(now Dapol) engine shed. Rather have a discussion on this than yet another about super fine scale(but still wrong gauge). Since raising this subject last year, I have been looking at local buildings, and realising there are a lot of things to consider. Even the article in current Railway Modeller made me think about chimneys, and where they usually are. Sad in man ways but I now find myself counting bricks, not rivets are many do.

The tank wagon looks like the old Mainline one, as do the other wagons.

• 1 month later...

This partwork has now come to an end. Pity Phil did not have a piece in final mag. It will be interesting to see if someone does take on the buildings, as I think there is a market.

As to whether the magazine was worth it, please don't comment if you have not bought it. It is about a different way to get people into the hobby. If someone who has it, now comes to me and asks some questions about how to do something, I know where they are coming from.

One small thing that did actually inspire me was a piece about the dockside railway at Chatham. It got me thinking about an alternative preservation era line set in a dockyard. Maybe not a glamorous as all those traditional(and boringly similar) layouts which have to have big locos.

As to whether the magazine was worth it, please don't comment if you have not bought it. It is about a different way to get people into the hobby. If someone who has it, now comes to me and asks some questions about how to do something, I know where they are coming from.

Hi Simon

I'm afraid the question they'd be most likely to ask is "how do I build a model railway" I'd be really surprised if more than a handful of people actually built the Your Model Railway Village layout but the approach of giving you a few bits and pieces each month would make it quite difficult to do anything else with them - like using a different track plan.

Like many people here I did buy a couple of copies of edition one in order to get the coaches (they made good presents) but I also have a couple of the equivalent coaches that came with number one of the French version. I didn't buy any more, though I have noted what was in them, but I'm afraid I think it perfectly valid to comment on this approach. This was not in my view published as "a way to get people into the hobby", something that Hachette would have no particular interest in, but more to extract as much revenue as possible from people's initial interest.

Seeking new ways of attracting people into the hobby is a perfectly valid aim and, as you live some of the time in France, you must be aware of Editions Loco Revue's "Clés pour le Train Miniature" which is a bi-montly magazine about half the price of their traditional magazine that started at around the same time as Hachette's partwork.

The first six editions of this takes the beginner step by step through the building in a year of a complete layout based initially on a standard interior door blank and a Hornby-Jouef goods train set (to keep the costs of loco, controller, wagons and initial track to  a minimum but it's not obligatory to do it that way) and ending up with a very decent model railway that would give any beginner an excellent start in the hobby .

At each stage it told the reader exactly what to buy (including advice on how and how not to keep the cost down via second hand purchases)  provided card kits for some of the buildings and, unlike anyone attempting to build a model railway from Hachette's one piece at a time approach, the person following this scheme would have had trains running in the first couple of months or less, an important consideration for any beginner especially if it was a family project. 

I certainly found the approach fresh enough to make it worthwhile just out of interest to buy the digital version of the first six editions for €2.69 each (less than £2 then)

Unlike a partwork publisher, Editions L-R do have a commercial interest in attracting new people into the hobby because that's their future customer base. The Clés magazine itself starts a new project layout each year but I notice that they still offer the printed editions of the first six together with a larger scale track plan as a bundle for €20.

With the cost of the magazines and using only new equipment  (including the door for the baseboard!) I calculated the total cost of the resulting far more satisfying layout  as being less than half of the total cost of buying all the Hachette editions as well as the major purchases of loco and controller that weren't supplied month by month but that were also needed. What did the Hachette partwork say about buiding a baseboard; At about  8ft by 6ft it was far too large for a single board so did they suggest ways of making it sectionable?

I take your point about the editorial content included in Your Model Railway Village alongside each handful of bits and pieces adding something to its value and I'm sure some of that was good (though I wasn't impressed by what I read in edition one) especially if it was written by Phil Parker. That's just as true though of the other articles in Clés and I think it's an approach that a British model railway magazine publisher could well try. 

Well if the original idea behind this series was to encourage young people into model railways they would have been too old by the time it has finished or maybe they would be reaching retirement age and could construct it then

Well if the original idea behind this series was to encourage young people into model railways they would have been too old by the time it has finished or maybe they would be reaching retirement age and could construct it then

The initial advertising seemed to be aimed more at the adult who'd "always wanted a model railway" I'm afraid that even from the advertising pictures of the presumably professionally built versions for the French, Italian and British editions that anyone with the persistence to have actually built this thing would have wondered why they bothered spending several years of their life (how long did it take to publish 120 parts of this ?) very slowly building a large train set with some buildings in the middle.

Reports from France are that publication finished in about January before the series was finished but I can't verify that (I understand that partwork publishers in Britain deal with that by supplying the presumably few remaining suscribers witth the remaining components and instructions)

I've never quite understood partworks. I'm guilty (as are many other RMWebbers) of stockpiling the loss-leading Issue 1. I've also bought the first issue of other partworks for the low price and resulting bargain attached to it... everything from genuine Zippo lighters through to diecast vehicles. The interest then disappears and inclination to complete the set is just not there. I'm certainly not laughing at the Model Railway Village set... I can imagine it being a useful (albeit time-consuming and expensive) entry to the hobby, but as railway modellers belonging to a model railway forum, it should be expected that we'd knock it a little bit because most of us are already competent with at least a few aspects of the hobby, tracklaying, painting, scenics etc etc. For those that aren't, the "hand-holding" step-by-step guides of the partwork are probably what appeals. For those that have followed it through, I'm sure they've learnt a lot and maybe, just maybe, they'll go on to make another layout and improve their new-found skills. Sadly, I'm sure one or two newly completed model railways will end up in a skip! Such is life, I guess.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, I'm sure one or two newly completed model railways will end up in a skip! Such is life, I guess.

No.They will end up on e-bay "professionally built" with a BIN of £1500+ :jester:

Keith

There are probably a lot of people who will religiously follow the instructions and build what ever they are told to do, but this hobby is about a lot more. If you can't see that, and use what ever is around then the hobby is doomed. I see quite a few layouts on sale using the Hornby trackmat, and every piece of treack is as specified. No wonder people lose interest if that is what they think model railways are all about. Compare this to the way , more toylike trains(for younger children) are played with. Rarely a fixed design, the fun is in building and changing.

I will happily put together an article about using the partwork buildings, as I suspect most of those who currently write articles  have not seen the actual buildings, unless Phil is going to do something, having contributed many articles on railway modelling to the partwork.

I something wonder if some actually notice now expensive some things are now. just look at the price of r2p buildings, then even some of the far from perfect laser cut kits cost a lot. The old Airfix(Dapol) plastic kits offer a good starting point for those who want to adapt and not have to remortgage their own house and these partwork buildings are something different, and hopefully someone will see the potential. I am still disappointed to see the same models , built to instruction, on different layouts at exhibitions, so unoriginal.

Maybe it is because I have been modelling in various scales, including garden railway modelling, and searching through toy shops for something to adapt has been fun. Otherwise it would be like going to work every day and just wanting the go home bell to ring. There is more to life, and to get best out of it, learn to adapt and have fun. Oh, and then start using your imagination, be creative in your thinking.

If you starting to build a model railway now, say OO, and you wanted to buy new, just look at prices of locos, coaches and wagons. Even for a small layout(which probably is not what many want in the beginning), then you will have a small collection but no layout for the price of this partwork.

There are probably a lot of people who will religiously follow the instructions and build what ever they are told to do, but this hobby is about a lot more........

If you starting to build a model railway now, say OO, and you wanted to buy new, just look at prices of locos, coaches and wagons. Even for a small layout(which probably is not what many want in the beginning), then you will have a small collection but no layout for the price of this partwork.

But Simon

Surely the whole point of this partwork like any partwork project was that it was supposed to hold your hand while, step by step, you embarked into a modeling world you knew nothing about and built your first layout. If you receive a few pieces in each edition it's going to be quite hard to do anything except build the layout as given unless you hoard all of them and only start building once you've got enough to begin serious building but that would mean not even starting to lay any track for at least six months. I'm also not sure how anyone could use the buildings unless they'd taken out a subscription for the whole package which seems like an absurdly high price to pay just for a few building kits. 

I did look at comparative prices and building the French version of the Hachette partwork came to about €1200 not including the actual baseboard whereas the total budget for the Clés beginner's layout, including the baseboard door, was marginally below  €600 and within that price the builder did have choices. (H-J's trainset prices have gone up somewhat since Clés was first published so you might now be looking at more like €650 all in). The builder would also have gained experience of building both plastic kit buildings and a couple of those from pre-printed card 

The Clés approach also held the builder's hand and though they had to buy everything were told exactly where from (online or from dealers and from the local DIY shop) and for how much. The resulting layout was smaller that Hachette's with 11 rather than 16 buildings but it had eight rather than six sets of points. It also included more scenic development and a fiddle/staging yard to make "serious" operation possible but not obligatory. (unlike say a BLT-fiddle yard)  

I doubt if a similar cost comparison based on UK prices would be significantly different. The iniitial purchase was the door, the Hornby Jouef train set and track extension packs but after that the monthly cost was quite modest and the builder could run trains from very early on.  The Hachette partwork also required a fairly large single purchase of a loco, controller and transformers on top of the subscription, and at least one person who'd subscribed and was trying to build it reported that they'd ended up buying a train set as well in order to be able to get something running.

• RMweb Premium

As with everything there are more than one type of partwork.

The ones like this where you don't have to buy every one but can drop in and out for the bits that interest you (Great British Locomotives likewise)

Or the others where you are building one specific complicated item where you have to keep going to get the very last bit (left front driving wheel or whatever) without which it is basically useless. :O

I think there are room for both but you wont get me tied into one of the build one item type.

You pays your money and take your choice.

Keith

As with everything there are more than one type of partwork.

The ones like this where you don't have to buy every one but can drop in and out for the bits that interest you (Great British Locomotives likewise)

Or the others where you are building one specific complicated item where you have to keep going to get the very last bit (left front driving wheel or whatever) without which it is basically useless. :O

I think there are room for both but you wont get me tied into one of the build one item type.

You pays your money and take your choice.

Keith

Hi Keith

I'm not sure how you'd have done with Your Model Railway Village once they'd stopped appearing in the newagents and even then you had to buy several to get say a building that interested you. Could you order individual editions later from the publishers?

I think partworks like Great British locos or buses or fire appliances or whatever where you can pick and choose are fine and I bought four or five of the locos I happened to like for static display. Others may have wanted a comprehensive collection and that's also fine.  YMRV did though seem to be closer to the build one item in easy steps partwork model where unless you see the project through to the end you effectively come away empty handed. If someone was interested in taking up ship modelling I don't think anyone would advise them to start with a very large, complex and expensive model like the Titanic or the Cutty Sark but a model railway is effectively a combination of a largish number of discrete individual models so it doesn't quite fit that model 

It would be quite interesting to consider how you might develop a commercially viable product to encourage people to take up a creative hobby rather than just divide an all or nothing project into 120 small steps that might leave them totally disillusioned if they don't see it through. I've described the model applied by Editions Loco Revue with their Clés magazine though even they were faced with what to do after the first six parts led to a first layout. The answer seems to have been to come up with a new project layout each year a bit more advanced than the previous one but generally it seems to have tended towards becoming  more like a conventional model railway magazine.

If I knew the answer I'd be the next Frank Hornby or Nicholas Kove and very rich.

• 4 months later...

Archived