E3137 / 86 259 on tour... instant nostalgia

Up with the lark on Saturday morning to bag a once common loco on my doorstep... there was a time when I wouldn't have bothered taking such a mundane photo, but the noise this veteran AC Electric made as it sailed by, even at low speed, made the hairs on the back of my neck go all wobby.....

post-7638-0-08758800-1330268737_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-84770500-1330268818_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-53774300-1330268883_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-41820300-1330268941_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-70665800-1330269025_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-89370800-1330269289_thumb.jpg

It's a shame about all the modern paraphinalia getting in the way, but I suppose it shows just how much the WCML has changed since E3137 was built back in the 60s.

I bet most current passengers of Virgin would prefer this train to a Pendolino!

XF

Without wishing to thread drift tooo much...

I don't 'get' all the 'anti-pendo' comments...

I personally use them a lot - usually the Wolves->Coventry (Euston) trains and find them an excellent service.

I did once catch the pretendalino which was fun and the MKIII is certainly a lovely coach.. but I don't find the Pendo's 'bad'..

• RMweb Premium

I bet most current passengers of Virgin would prefer this train to a Pendolino!

XF

What? Draughty Mk1's with open toplights that have the crash-worthiness of a rusty tin of rice pudding. No thanks.

Home to Glasgow and back the other day.

150/158/390/318/390/142/150. I know which one I ( and a good few of my travelling party) preferred - the aircon at 100 plus for me - every time.

Cheers,

Mick

It's a shame about all the modern paraphinalia getting in the way, but I suppose it shows just how much the WCML has changed since E3137 was built back in the 60s.

I suppose you could add more to this list, but the BTH has gone, the roof on the station has gone, the track layout has been drastically altered, the concrete wall in the foreground has been replaced, the coaching stock is in the wrong livery, and the loco never carried Electric Blue. In short, nothing is original....!!

Without wishing to thread drift tooo much... I don't 'get' all the 'anti-pendo' comments... I personally use them a lot - usually the Wolves->Coventry (Euston) trains and find them an excellent service. I did once catch the pretendalino which was fun and the MKIII is certainly a lovely coach.. but I don't find the Pendo's 'bad'..

I suppose enthusiasts will always prefer the old order (as they did when AC electrics replaced steam), but the AM90's lack soul. The front end isn't menacing enough, you can never get a window seat, and the toilet odours spread along the train. I much prefer a 350...

I suppose enthusiasts will always prefer the old order (as they did when AC electrics replaced steam), but the AM90's lack soul. The front end isn't menacing enough, you can never get a window seat, and the toilet odours spread along the train. I much prefer a 350...

LOL I ALWAYS get a window seat. I've heard people say they don't but I don't recall ever not getting a window.. Guess my nostrils are blocked too ;)

• RMweb Premium

Hope the PWay is bettter now, came down on an 86 from New Street to Euston, in about 1983/84, the ride was somewhat "interesting"

Regards

Simon

• RMweb Gold

The 86s did indeed give a "lively ride". The driver could never more than half-fill his tea can or the contents would be all over the place!

Presumably the track knew a bit about it, as well. ISTR the 86s were famous for knocking 7 bells out of the p-way. After the Electric Scots got into their swing in '74, weren't there mid-day possessions to get the track back in order on a very regular basis?

EDIT Or was that just the 87s? I don't think so.

86/0s were the ones that bashed the track to such an extent that they had a speed restriction placed upon them until they got their bogies/suspension modified. A few got rebuilt as 86/2s, the rest became 86/3s then 86/4s, one of those changes saw the speed restriction lifted.

Pendos are awful to travel in - they're the most claustrophobic coaches that I've been in. Mk 3s or late Mk 2s were much better.

When I did a North West Rover last year I tried to do Preston-Carlisle in a 185 whenever possible rather than a pendo.

Archived