Hornby Push Pull Set R4534

Jim104

• RMweb Premium

Is there any evidence to suggest that at any time an M7 could have operated with a full proper two car Push-Pull set at both ends, i.e. loco in the middle?

Is there any evidence to suggest that at any time an M7 could have operated with a full proper two car Push-Pull set at both ends, i.e. loco in the middle?

I have not seen any pictures of an M7 with a working two car Push-Pull at each end but it probably could have operated like that.

The train at the bottom is a Hornby M7 30108 pulling a Dapol air control van and a Hornby Pull-Push set. On page 170 of the book of the M7 0-4-4Ts by Peter Swift published by the Irwell Press Ltd is a picture of the prototype.  It shows 30108 complete with roses in the 0s that the M7 acquired after hauling the Rambling Rose excursion. The M7 is approaching Lymington Junction on the railway from Bournemouth via Ringwood with air control van S1624 and a Maunsell Pull-Push set on 4 May 1963.

S1624 is one of five BR plywood built bodied vans (Nos 1621-5) fitted with air control equipment for Pull-Push working between November 1962 and March 1963. It was only used from Bournemouth to Brockenhurst and mainly for the conveyance of prams. See page 153 of an Illustrated History of Southern Pull-Push Stock by Mike King and published by OPC. See also the diagrams on the previous page. Before that five ex SECR utility vans Nos 2001-5 were used from 1939. 

post-17621-0-04031400-1395772939_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-18772600-1395773846_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 3

post-17621-0-82591700-1395910867_thumb.jpg

M7 arriving with the Royal Wessex in the Swanage sandwich formation. The Royal Wessex coaches were the only BR SR coaches to wear the demi rampant red lion crest. The Pull-Push set is from a BSL kit and the photograph of my layout was first published in the Railway Modeller.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I shall be mainly using my set on the Seatonish Branch. I await the arrival of said set with eager anticipation. However, I have yet to work out how I am to produce the summer service 'strengthening coach' that was a unique vehicle that I only found out about this week. More research I suppose?

Really like your P/P collection Robin.

P

I've purchased the R4534A pack and already had R4534 and the M7 train pack set. What is interesting is that in another thread - Where are the Hornby Models - Chris Leigh (Dibber) has identified part or all of the codes that can identify the company/factory where Hornby models are made. It is part of a code on a stick on white label places near the Hornby product number. The R4534A set has the code starting REF which means it was made by Refined Industries, whereas the original set was SK, being Sanda Kan. This means that this and presumably the B suffix set, and other recent coach reruns, have been made in a new factory. So the paint imperfections may be due to new workforce/learning curve issues, but interestingly it means that coaches with extra detail, are being produced at other factories, which bodes well for production times being improved

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've purchased the R4534A pack and already had R4534 and the M7 train pack set. What is interesting is that in another thread - Where are the Hornby Models - Chris Leigh (Dibber) has identified part or all of the codes that can identify the company/factory where Hornby models are made. It is part of a code on a stick on white label places near the Hornby product number. The R4534A set has the code starting REF which means it was made by Refined Industries, whereas the original set was SK, being Sanda Kan. This means that this and presumably the B suffix set, and other recent coach reruns, have been made in a new factory. So the paint imperfections may be due to new workforce/learning curve issues, but interestingly it means that coaches with extra detail, are being produced at other factories, which bodes well for production times being improved

The B suffix set does indeed have the REF code.

post-17621-0-78513200-1396339388_thumb.jpg

There have been two sightings of a Q class 0-6-0 hauling Maunsell pull-push coaches on the Swanage Railway.

On Tuesday 22 August 1961 M7 30107 broke a valve spindle at Holme propelling a Swanage bound train. Q 30539 deposited the M7 at Corfe Castle goods shed and took the train to Swanage. Please see George Moon's picture and caption on plate 50 of Swanage Railway Album..

There is also a photograph of Q 30541 with Maunsell set 611 at Swanage at an unknown date in Mike Stollery's collection.

Graham Farish produced a three rail ready to run Q class in 1953 and Ace Trains recently made an 0 gauge version. Wills made a kit to fit on a Tri-ang Hornby 0-6-0 chassis. The model in the picture is a Crownline conversion of a Hornby 4F 0-6-0.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

For those of you that have R4534C on order, the new Hornby Catalogue has this listed as Set 603 - the same number as R4534B. An email to Graham Musgrave, prompted a quick reply, that having spoken to the Hornby Design Team, it is a typo in the catalogue, and the set will be numbered 608. Thanks to Graham for this information.

• RMweb Gold

Just for the record my surname is not Musgrave but I can confirm the conversation I had with the Hormby design team and the C variant will be set 608 unfortunately the catalogue is in error.

• 1 month later...

Hornby R4534C has now arrived. This was made at the REF factory as Set 608. It has Hornby couplings throughout instead of the push together couplings on the other sets. I bought it at the Swanage Station shop where there is still a plentiful supply. The shop assistants were very helpful and they knew that this set ran on the Swanage Railway and that the Railway is hoping to restore a set. The picture shows it crossing Corfe Viaduct.

post-17621-0-73316500-1428165087_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The shop assistants were very helpful and they knew that this set ran on the Swanage Railway and that the Railway is hoping to restore a set.

As the Railway's shop, I'd be a bit concerned if they didn't; isn't one of its roles to promote the railway. Good to see shops at preserved railways selling model railway products and giving good service too.

Edited thrice due to my iPad deleting text without reason!

Edited by brushman47544

Yes. Please see http://www.swanagerailwaytrust.org.uk/index.php/heritage-coach-fund. The pull-push set was cosmetically restored around 1990 and used in a photographic charter. 1/2 million pounds is a lot of money but it is about the value of two modest houses so if two people with no relatives were to make a bequest of this amount for this project it could be done.

I think I put a picture of this set earlier in this topic.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can anyone advise me on suitable numbers for changing the both the body side and end numbers on set 616 to set 615?

I might also need some appropriate coloured covering 'patches', as I haven't attempted to remove the existing numbers yet.

• RMweb Gold

Ian

For set 615 the BC was 6691 and the SO was 1341

I would use either Fox Transfers, Presfix or Model Master I also think patches are available from the latter.

Regards