Hornby Push Pull Set R4534

Jim104

SNAP! I took the front coupling off my 30108 and it is on ... wait for it ... set 610! It looks the part! :)

Double snap!! Ive got 30108 trundling around my version of Castlemans Corkscrew, Set 600 tho alternating with 30029.

• Like 1

In other words geoffers, don't worry about it too much, unless you are modelling a particular line at an exact time in its history! Most of us seem to be happy just to have the models as they are. :)

• Like 1

Got my set a few days ago; very pleased with it. Hornby generously supplied six (!) 'close-coupling' couplers, one in each coach (inner ends) and two sachets of two replacements 'for closer coupling'. Using these still leaves an unsightly gap, so I substituted standard Roco couplers and kept the longer Hornby Roco couplers for Bachmann Mk 1's.

Questions on the original:

Having replaced the corridor connection with a panel and cut two windows on either side thereof, why did they not fitted a middle window, too?

Were these push-pull sets ever used in pairs with an engine sandwiched between?

Were they ever used with diesels?

• RMweb Gold

Got my set a few days ago; very pleased with it. Hornby generously supplied six (!) 'close-coupling' couplers, one in each coach (inner ends) and two sachets of two replacements 'for closer coupling'. Using these still leaves an unsightly gap, so I substituted standard Roco couplers and kept the longer Hornby Roco couplers for Bachmann Mk 1's.

Questions on the original:

Having replaced the corridor connection with a panel and cut two windows on either side thereof, why did they not fitted a middle window, too?

Were these push-pull sets ever used in pairs with an engine sandwiched between?

Were they ever used with diesels?

A good question about lack of middle window but as most EMUs did not have them either due to the position of the route indicator display then I assume they thought it not necessary.

I am not aware or seen any evidence of two of these sets being used together with a loco in the middle.

if they were ever used with deesels it would have been after the sets were no longer used as pull push sets and to strengthen other services.

Can the close couplers work with the M7 ?

No reason why not as far as I am aware

Oh Poo!!! I have set 610 behind M7 30108 up-and-down an imaginary Swanage Branch. Never mind - it's my railway.

Set 610 was transferred to the Western Region in January 1963 as they took control of the that end of the Western Section but later transfered back tothe Southern Region's Western Section so it may have worked the branch but I dont have that specific information to hand.

SRman and Graham-Muz - thanks for your comments. I'm not beating myself up about it, though. That combination may have worked Castleman's Corkscrew(??). How about a Broadstone model - S&DJR+SR trains. Just need a bit enough space.

Off-hand I can't think of any SR units that DID have a middle window. It wasn't necessary. Most had a route-indicator but on a branch set, that wasn't really necessary, either. Of course, the 'Pompey' units (contemporary with the 'Maunsell' coaches used in the push-pulls) only had the one left-hand window.

CHRIS LEIGH

Guest Belgian

Off-hand I can't think of any SR units that DID have a middle window. It wasn't necessary. Most had a route-indicator but on a branch set, that wasn't really necessary, either. Of course, the 'Pompey' units (contemporary with the 'Maunsell' coaches used in the push-pulls) only had the one left-hand window.

CHRIS LEIGH

Ah, but all the other Pull-Push sets had four front windows, perhaps that's what he was driving at? It seems the Southern Region used the standard emu/dmu front end on these 1959 conversions, or at least the style of it, which would have been familiar by this time to most drivers.

JE

• RMweb Gold

On a brief visit to the UK last week, I was surprised to see the R4534 set on display in the window of Paignton Model Shop. He also had a boxed set on the shelf. 01803 555882 is the telephone number on the till receipt, and the chap confirmed the story that more are expected, his order not having been fulfilled completely. I also saw a boxed set on display in Dorking Model Centre, sadly closed on Sunday. While neither set was priced at box-shifter levels, they were within RRP.

CHRIS LEIGH

I seem to recall an ex-EMU coach that was converted for route learning and had a centre window added. There was definitely the General Manager's saloon, converted from a Hastings unit buffet with drivers windscreens and central window added, plus controls and jumpers for operation in multiple with other units or classes 33/1 or 73.

• RMweb Gold

On a brief visit to the UK last week, I was surprised to see the R4534 set on display in the window of Paignton Model Shop. He also had a boxed set on the shelf. 01803 555882 is the telephone number on the till receipt, and the chap confirmed the story that more are expected, his order not having been fulfilled completely. I also saw a boxed set on display in Dorking Model Centre, sadly closed on Sunday. While neither set was priced at box-shifter levels, they were within RRP.

Nearly went to Paignton on Saturday afternoon.. wish I had now!

However, have ordered a set off Hereford Models on Saturday night. Must give them a call to make sure it is on its way .

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Pete

This was discussed earlier in the thead and general concensus is that the H class was also used with these sets in Pull Push mode. The O2 might have been a candidate but I have not seen any evidence of this especially as the sets did not appear to reach Plymouth where most of the remaining Pull Push fitted O2s resided at the time.

I seem to recall an ex-EMU coach that was converted for route learning and had a centre window added. There was definitely the General Manager's saloon, converted from a Hastings unit buffet with drivers windscreens and central window added, plus controls and jumpers for operation in multiple with other units or classes 33/1 or 73.

Hardly 'units', and both (unusual) instances where someone (more than one person) other than the driver was required to see ahead.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

For members of the SRLHCS forum, a comprehensive list of allocations for PP Sets 600-619, Nov.1959-Nov.1964, has been made available.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/SRLHCS/message/4817

Compiled by Brian Macdermott, (Of 2012 Wish-list poll fame) , Glen Woods and Chris Knowles-Thomas, it includes Section / Route allocations. Inaugural , transfer & withdrawal dates, plus photographic references.

Well done, and many thanks to all concerned.

• Like 1

Chris H - Thanks a fantastic photo - coming into Wareham from the Poole end(?). Thanks a mill.

Glad you liked it, correct, Poole end of Wareham station. The other set in use on that day was 603.

I've just realised how long ago that was!

Chris

It looks like they have used the moulds for the early emblem models for this release from the picture above, as these had smooth smokeboxes whilst the late crest ones had raised rivets. Most M7s had raised rivets before BR came about anyway, so the smooth smokebox should have only been used on Southern or LSWR liveried examples.

JE

I have wondered if the riveted tool has been damaged in some way, as I don't remember seeing riveted examples since the first batch of releases? I may be mistaken. However, I wandered down to my local model shop today and acquired the set with 30029, as I figure I can renumber it. I am thinking that the Archer range of resin transfer rivet/bolt heads might work for adding these without damaging the paint finish. Am I right in thinking the rivets were both on the vertical plate and at the front and rear of the horizontal plate?

Too many "thinking"s in that paragraph. If anyone still wants a set, Harburn still had at least one of each pack after I let today. I was very tempted to get set 610 as well.