Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, queensquare said:

The Mk4 in the background is from my HST set and, being the longest vehicle I have was used to check clearances at the end of the bridge.

naughty step for you the wrong Blue on that coach 🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

naughty step for you the wrong Blue on that coach 🤣

Its not just the blue that's wrong - it's a Mk3...  But would you expect knowledge of such things from an SDJR Man?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

On the Bachmann/Farish 4Fs I've been experimenting a bit with the drawbar as I think as bought it lifts the rear wheels very slightly from the track - not enough for a derailment but enough to reduce adhesion.

I've re-worked the drawbar to lower the coupling 'socket' on it and added some weight to the front of the tender and now it gets round the test circle with 20 wagons, before that it was having a job doing so! I really should add more wagons and see how well it goes with 30 or 40 on.

The 4F is still a work in progress and I'm intrigued as to why my converted 3F Jinties/Jockos/Bagnalls will easily pull much more - the loco itself may be a bit heavier but I'm not sure it's by much. My converted Dapol Pannier also waltzes off with the wagons and that is lighter, so I think it may be an adhesion rather than a weight problem on the 4Fs.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, yaxxbarl said:

On the Bachmann/Farish 4Fs I've been experimenting a bit with the drawbar as I think as bought it lifts the rear wheels very slightly from the track - not enough for a derailment but enough to reduce adhesion.

I've re-worked the drawbar to lower the coupling 'socket' on it and added some weight to the front of the tender and now it gets round the test circle with 20 wagons, before that it was having a job doing so! I really should add more wagons and see how well it goes with 30 or 40 on.

The 4F is still a work in progress and I'm intrigued as to why my converted 3F Jinties/Jockos/Bagnalls will easily pull much more - the loco itself may be a bit heavier but I'm not sure it's by much. My converted Dapol Pannier also waltzes off with the wagons and that is lighter, so I think it may be an adhesion rather than a weight problem on the 4Fs.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

the Farish 4F I tried up the bank with the Diner has got a replacement tender chassis, new drawbar and tender weight bearing on the rear of the loco. It has made a significant difference on the level but still not enough for it to take the Diner up Bath bank. Like the real S&D, the inclines don’t take prisoners!

As you rightly say, haulage can be improved but at the end of the day a body full of motor is always going to be lighter than one full of lead so the Raithby kit build with the motor in the tender is always going to win. To be fair to the Farish 4F it’s a lovely model and a very sweet runner and  it’s haulage is adequate on the level. I’ve converted three. One has a modified Farish tender (the one I tested), one is going to get a Nigel Hunt 3500 Johnson style tender and the third has turned down tender wheels in the Farish pinpoint pickups and is heading to Australia! 

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 17/03/2023 at 20:51, queensquare said:

Hi John,

the Farish 4F I tried up the bank with the Diner has got a replacement tender chassis, new drawbar and tender weight bearing on the rear of the loco. It has made a significant difference on the level but still not enough for it to take the Diner up Bath bank. Like the real S&D, the inclines don’t take prisoners!

As you rightly say, haulage can be improved but at the end of the day a body full of motor is always going to be lighter than one full of lead so the Raithby kit build with the motor in the tender is always going to win. To be fair to the Farish 4F it’s a lovely model and a very sweet runner and  it’s haulage is adequate on the level. I’ve converted three. One has a modified Farish tender (the one I tested), one is going to get a Nigel Hunt 3500 Johnson style tender and the third has turned down tender wheels in the Farish pinpoint pickups and is heading to Australia! 

Jerry

Jerry,

Yes - after that I found there was a track problem in the part of my test circuit where the 4F was slipping, namely a hump on the inner rail over one side of the join - some relaying under a bit of card to prop up the offending area seems to have improved that.  It was causing the lead wheels of my Jinty and Pannier to skip off when going in one direction so it needed fixing anyway.

As to the 4F - I have a suspicion that the middle driver on one side is a bit proud of the others, enough to compromise the grip of the wheels on the rails. Whether it is down to a bit of 'stuff' in the bearing slots on the Farish chassis block or a manufacturing flaw in the block that needs correcting is yet to be seen.

Weight wise the Jinty weights in at 46g, my Dapol Pannier at 36g and the 4F engine at 31g so yes, that probably also explains a lot on the haulage capabilities of each!

Cheers,

John

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2023 at 11:47, queensquare said:

Now the problem with getting more track down is that it just encourages me to want to play! Thankfully, when I popped down the workshop yesterday evening (not returning until early hours this morning) I fully resisted the temptation to just play but did carry out some useful research! 😊 

With the track now reaching out to Bath Junction it was possible to assemble complete trains on the bank and see how my locos coped with the gradient bearing in mind that this was a stiff test as they would need to lift the train from a standing start, when the layout is finished they will at least have a run at it.
First up was the local rakes with 54, a Johnson 0-4-4T. Happily she walked away with ease.

95046EF1-CEB7-4052-BF02-477028902FE2.jpeg.e33e4c79a68c0b9bdb622b3ea9d02345.jpeg

5FFA2E8B-5B85-49E0-BFAF-1918CD1DEF6B.jpeg.ec47aa5ba1b632e8781ead6b60d9c4f9.jpeg

Next came the Diner. These are brass and fairly heavy, despite having plasticard interiors, but are very free running thanks to the Association bogies. I’m still waiting for Farish to launch a comprehensive range of MR clerestories in plastic! Raithby 4F, 3863, with its heavy body and weighted tender had no problems. The Farish 4Fs whilst happy on the level simply polished the rails on the 1:70!

751CF168-A43E-44DD-B2F3-567DB7A4CBDF.jpeg.d88a45e89491223252fcf61de6e89083.jpeg

40092D1A-2553-4C55-8E4E-7934BD08541D.jpeg.350289f55c2c5e4f0953f4494c461d22.jpeg

My pair of 2P/483s just about managed albeit with a fair bit of slipping though there is room to tweak these a little to improve things. The Nigel Hunt kits that are slowly inching forward will be maximised for haulage from the off and I’m confident they will be fine.

3E979A13-8CD5-4243-BFCF-D7D1408B4D68.jpeg.5ed45b5385c6cb5276336285ed5ddc3d.jpeg

6FADFF17-7B58-4350-A5D5-0CAC8CB3011D.jpeg.d1c88207aacb4ea64258b8671440a753.jpeg

Finaly, 7F 81 was given a couple of wagons over full load unassisted which she did with ease.

CAEA23CB-C0DD-46B8-8405-9A1BCFE5D611.jpeg.f92b987831e2f7e17a59b79e21061d77.jpeg

27E82B36-D832-4833-8F2D-4493A0A3C11F.jpeg.09e2033f3702bf0567a918f36d6b2082.jpeg

All in all, very pleasing

Jerry

Excellent research session Jerry, well done.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, yaxxbarl said:

Jerry,

Yes - after that I found there was a track problem in the part of my test circuit where the 4F was slipping, namely a hump on the inner rail over one side of the join - some relaying under a bit of card to prop up the offending area seems to have improved that.  It was causing the lead wheels of my Jinty and Pannier to skip off when going in one direction so it needed fixing anyway.

As to the 4F - I have a suspicion that the middle driver on one side is a bit proud of the others, enough to compromise the grip of the wheels on the rails. Whether it is down to a bit of 'stuff' in the bearing slots on the Farish chassis block or a manufacturing flaw in the block that needs correcting is yet to be seen.

Weight wise the Jinty weights in at 46g, my Dapol Pannier at 36g and the 4F engine at 31g so yes, that probably also explains a lot on the haulage capabilities of each!

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

its interesting what you say about the Jinty. It has, essentially, the same chassis as the 4F but thanks to the weight in the side tanks making it about 50% heavier than the 4F, and the lack of drag from a tender has considerably greater traction.

Rather irritatingly, the best hauler up Bath bank (not including diesels) is not one of my big eight coupled freight locos but an old Farish Holden tank with a very basic chassis which was knocking around here for a while. John Greenwood has built one of the Great Western eight coupled tanks, I must kidnap it somewhen and see how that performs.

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If I find the time I’m considering re-building my Farish 4F with new chassis and tender drive so I can stuff as much weight as possible in the loco. Not just for the better traction but that the extended gear train - compared to the Jinty - tends to lead to oscillation at certain speeds making it less smooth running, almost like the quartering is out. Plastic bodies allow lots of nice detail but aren’t nearly as good as metal ones for traction I find, even when just made out of thinner brass sheet. 

Bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

If I find the time I’m considering re-building my Farish 4F with new chassis and tender drive so I can stuff as much weight as possible in the loco. Not just for the better traction but that the extended gear train - compared to the Jinty - tends to lead to oscillation at certain speeds making it less smooth running, almost like the quartering is out. Plastic bodies allow lots of nice detail but aren’t nearly as good as metal ones for traction I find, even when just made out of thinner brass sheet. 

Bob

Bob,

Yes - I was wondering why mine did seem to 'chug' a bit when under load but run perfectly smoothly when light engine or with just a few wagons on. I can see why they put the gear train in to the rear axle in the interests of daylight under the boiler but slack in the gear train seems to be the price to pay. At my test track's first outing at the Chapel En Le Frith show some weeks back Nigel Hunt bought his new 4F along for a run and there was no competition with mine - Nigel's easily managed 21 wagons and would have probably managed twice that without any bother!

In the end on mine I managed to weedle in a few extra grams of lead in the smokebox, in the dome, around the worm housing on the motor and beneath the rear footplate steps and it has improved traction so that my 4F now handles a 20 wagon train with a lot more ease that it did, and that is probably about as long a train as I expect my 4F will handle on the layout. Again, this is on the level - experience suggests that any kind of gradient also sets my 4F into 'polish the rails' mode unless it has a light load.

On comparing with the Jinty one other thing, apart from the extra mass, is I do think the smaller wheel size also makes a difference especially when any kind of gradient comes into play. This may also be the factor in favour of Jerry's Holden tank.

Cheers,

John

• RMweb Premium

the Guys building Evercreech as shown  at Derby where playing,  I watched as they  pulled and pushed  14 or was it 16 coaches up a 1 in 50 on  a curve various engines the 7f 's  looked the business and if I recall a Farish 4f made a good stab at it

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

the Guys building Evercreech as shown  at Derby where playing,  I watched as they  pulled and pushed  14 or was it 16 coaches up a 1 in 50 on  a curve various engines the 7f 's  looked the business and if I recall a Farish 4f made a good stab at it

Nick

Hi Nick, you’re right, Evercreech is faced with similar problems, albeit the other side of the Mendips.

There are, however , a couple of key differences, the main one being that the rakes of coaches being used were plastic, converted RTR which are a fraction of the weight of brass ones - oh for those Farish clerestories!😊 Pulling plastic coaches up an incline with eight and ten coupled locos is a different ball game to doing it with brass coaches and a 4-4-0!

Their 7Fs use Alan’s machined solid boiler which is very heavy and results in really impressive haulage. I have all the bits to build another pair although hauling a long rake of mainly plastic wagons up the bank hasn’t proved to be a problem.

The 4F they were using was a Raithby one which Alan built years ago for Midsomer Norton, he has had the same issues as me with the Farish ones - very sweet runners with adequate haulage on the level.

Jerry

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Alan Smith has been in touch to let me know that the 4F being used on ECJ was indeed a converted Farish one and it managed eight plastic coaches on the bank which even he was surprised at.

I weighed some of my coaches to see what the difference was. Brass etched coaches averaged out at around the 37g mark whereas Farish Mk1s were around 24g. A rough calculation suggested that six brass coaches equates to nine plastic RTR. When I get a chance I will try my 4F on eight RTR coaches but I’d be surprised if it manages them up the bank. We will see.

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Weight and rolling resistance are two different things. In OO many years ago my converted triang jinty could climb a 1/70 with more farish kit coaches (these have a lot of metal in them so much heavier than RTR) than it could Bachmann bullieds. Restarting them however was a different matter.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AdeMoore said:

Lovely flowing trackwork, looks pretty damn good. Great modelling that.

Thanks Ade. The big test for me will come with wiring it all up - that will tax my very limited knowledge in that department to the max!

Jerry

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2