RMweb

Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Surely we are talking about Bath Green Park? My childhood recollection is that Queen Square is in Bristol and being square faces the 4 points of the compass.

Frank

It was only Green Park from 1951.

It is just Bath or Bath Queen Square in Jerry's period hence his RMWeb name.

Bath does have a Queen Square although the station wasn't/isn't on it. However railway companies naming stations after where they'd like you to believe they are rather than where they actually are is hardly unusual (now perpetuated by airlines/Airport owners).

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Surely we are talking about Bath Green Park? My childhood recollection is that Queen Square is in Bristol and being square faces the 4 points of the compass.

Frank

1 hour ago, 65179 said:

It was only Green Park from 1951.

It is just Bath or Bath Queen Square in Jerry's period hence his RMWeb name.

Bath does have a Queen Square although the station wasn't/isn't on it. However railway companies naming stations after where they'd like you to believe they are rather than where they actually are is hardly unusual (now perpetuated by airlines/Airport owners).

Simon

Simon is absolutely right although locals tended to refer to it as the Midland station or the 'Dorset station. Green Park is much closer to the station than Queen Square in Bath but the latter was a much smarter address!

Bradshaw's always refered to the station as Queen Square (see July 1922 extract) and Ive always done the same partly because I'm an awkward cuss but mainly to highlight the fact that my model is pre-group - well pre-1930 which is when the S&D lost its blue livery.

There was of course another station in Bath, only about a mile from the terminus. Sadly, I dont have room to squeeze Weston in! 😀

Jerry

BradshawsJuly1922001(2).jpg.843b5bbb3d3c8994af86ab0d1b3ed5e8.jpg

130506193_Larkrail2023.jpg.d92cb68c1de2d9552970945f7e1c2e0d.jpg.db41d0122bfb2d8262b3d0997398511e.jpg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 5

How on earth did I not know that?  I’ve only ever known the station as Bath Green Park, and I’ve never heard of a Queen Square in Bath, only the one in Bristol I cycled through every week day on my way home from school in Brislington.  
And now I understand the origin of the queensquare handle.  Thanks for the explanation.

Frank

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Green Park is much closer to the station than Queen Square in Bath but the latter was a much smarter address!

But not smart enough for Elizabeth Elliot: "I hope we shall be in Bath in the winter; but remember, papa, if we do go, we must be in a good situation: none of your Queen-squares for us!" [Jane Austen, Persuasion, Ch. 6.]

Mind you, Elizabeth's an appalling snob.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, queensquare said:

With the single line section to Midford clear No 45 sweeps out of Combe Down tunnel with the down Diner.

IMG_0448(2).JPG.be847b6a548b0c184f81137606bb4b47.JPG

Following on the heals of the Diner is an all stations local to Templecombe seen here crossing the lower Bristol Road in the hands of small 4-4-0, No 17 built by the late Denys Brownlee.

Jerry

172(2).jpg.8e9dddfb897f017df2b44d784387cd14.jpg 

That's a cracking view of the Diner, Jerry!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It's been painted. When did that happen? I think I must have missed it.

It’s been painted some while - though it’s still waiting for glazing! I also need to get a red engined painted for the northern leg - mind you the Midland isn’t laid much beyond Bath junction yet so no rush!

59 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That's a cracking view of the Diner, Jerry!

Thanks, will look even better when the scenics are properly worked up.

Jerry

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, queensquare said:

New addition to the fiddle yard - fits perfectly!

Jerry

IMG_0880.jpeg.263ad38d02ba4d066edf9ee2f4bc9323.jpeg

Jerry,

I've not seen that livery on the 1F tank before, is it one that was sold into 'Industry' ? 😉

Cheers,

John

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, yaxxbarl said:

I've not seen that livery on the 1F tank before, is it one that was sold into 'Industry' ? 😉

Not so long ago Jerry showed a couple of 483s in the same style!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, yaxxbarl said:

Pay attention at the back there!  It's North Somerset Light livery!

Jim😁

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, yaxxbarl said:

Jerry,

Cheers,

John

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Not so long ago Jerry showed a couple of 483s in the same style!

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Pay attention at the back there!  It's North Somerset Light livery!

Jim😁

There are several more in NSLR livery. I have to be in the mood for painting and it doesn’t grab me that often!

Every now and again I have a splurge and several locos get painted. I have a couple of red ones ready to go into the shops and a green one for John Greenwood….. maybe after Larkrail!

Jerry 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

more interesting is the SECR N lurkin sans chassis

Nick B

My other little secret - I have a real soft spot for the Chatham. The BR N on the display stand will have a body swap.

My mum was born in Chatham and we used go on holiday to north Kent every year, staying in Rainham with Uncle Fred, who had lost a leg at Ypres, and Uncle Victor - both of whom worked in the dockyard. We would go on the train every day to the seaside, usually Margate or Herne Bay - happy days.

No plans for a layout though the odd Chatham loco may well feature in my inappropriate stud!

Jerry

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Your getting into this batch production lark. I love the empties coming over the viaduct and look forward to seeing the loaded ones going back in due course.

Don

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Donw said:

Your getting into this batch production lark. I love the empties coming over the viaduct and look forward to seeing the loaded ones going back in due course.

Don

Thanks Don, these dull, repetative, but not particularly taxing tasks are perfect for evenings in front of the telly.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Thanks Don, these dull, repetative, but not particularly taxing tasks are perfect for evenings in front of the telly.

Jerry

Nights are drawing in Jerry and of course there are only 156 days to Christmas......

Rob

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Nights are drawing in Jerry and of course there are only 156 days to Christmas......

Rob

We don’t mention the C word. 🎅

Progress slows this time of year because I get to go outside to play after tea - unless it’s raining - so I’m getting stuff done at the moment!

Jerry

• Like 3