Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Have you ever "lost" a model and then found it later?

Not 'lost' in the strictest sense of the word, but I managed to forget about the existence of an entire Dapol RTR wagon for over 3 years, until I discovered it again while sorting through a load of boxes.
Considering I have very few wagons, I consider this an achievement.

I've got a new one.... I remembered i had 3 20t NER slaters hoppers built.... For various reasons they never ran the way I wanted... So I decided to dig them all out of the weird place I had put them.... Only to find I had 4..... My question is how did they breed? ... Similar problem with Bachmann J39 at a local Melbourne Australia exhibition I thoguht I don't have one of those.... Only to get home and as you may have guessed I now have 2....

• RMweb Premium

On my old loft layout, there was a cattle dock in a corner, partly hidden by a goods shed.  When the time came to dismantle the layout and I picked up the goods shed, there was a cattle wagon in the cattle dock from which the auto coupling had dropped into the four foot.  The wagon had been invisible but had never been missed on the layout; goodness knows how long it had been there....

Well I found broken Bachmann EWS 66135!

Turns out I had already repaired it (for most part) and put it back together just a couple of broken buffers to replace  and a bit of cosmetic attention

Been looking for this for the best part of 4 years and its been sat with the rest of me stock IN PLAIN SIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Cant figure out how I missed it ! :scratchhead:

Still no sign of the Lima 33 tho :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Well I found broken Bachmann EWS 66135!

Turns out I had already repaired it (for most part) and put it back together just a couple of broken buffers to replace  and a bit of cosmetic attention

Been looking for this for the best part of 4 years and its been sat with the rest of me stock IN PLAIN SIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Cant figure out how I missed it ! :scratchhead:

Still no sign of the Lima 33 tho :nono:

Be careful where you sit. :jester:

I've got a good one to report from today. Lost a complete wagon side during the process of construction. Looked high and low for it, including under the table. After all a 7mm scale van side is pretty big, surely it couldn't just take unto itself wings and fly away? In despair, I contemplated the horrific task of scratch building a replacement.

My wife found it. It was still in the vice where I had left it! About eighteen inches from where I was sitting... :jester:

Lost but not found.

A Hornby Railways Class 47.

I had not long repainted it from Green (I think.) into XP64 type livery, when I decided to take it to Brighton Station to compare it with the real thing working the Brighton to Manchester service (This was quite some time ago!).

On the way home, I left it on the London stopping train when I got off too hurriedly at Preston Park. :sad_mini:

Anyone found it yet? :search:

Still in the strategic reserve then?

No sighting reports........ ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'll be a son of a monkeys uncles best mates neighbours former room mate (trying to avid a lot of swearing!).

The flinking flunking missing Lima class 33 turned up today at the bottom of a box of unboxed stock that was wrapped up.

Must have looked in an moved that box a dozen or more times and not noticed the extra piece of card which the 33 and what turned out to be to old Mainline peaks

were hiding under also wrapped up. Never occurred to me that the box was a bit heavy for just a few wagons !!

I once lost a complete train on a layout. It was at the Buffers Coffee Shop and Model Railway Centre near Bolton Abbey. (A smashing place if you have never been, with a coffee shop and model shop downstairs and several layouts upstairs.) The layouts are operate-them-yourself ones and I was running a train around and it went into a tunnel at the back and never came out again. I could still hear it whirring away and responding to the controller but it never reappeared. Goodness knows where it went.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a favourite 'lost train' tale my Dad used to tell of a model railway friend who had a OO garden layout. It was basically a large dumbbell, out of the shed and back. A slow moving (freight train could easily take 5 or 6 minutes before it made it back to the shed.

Anyhow, this incident occurred during a night running session. A small freight train hauled by a 0-6-0T was sent on its way and duly disappeared from the glow of the shed. Getting engrossed in a conversation in their cosy, warm 'den', they realised at length that some 15-20 minutes had passed without said train returning. With no indication of anything amiss from the control panel, they set off, torches in hand, to walk the line and ascertain what fate had befallen the night freight. Round the far side of the return loop, there they found it, stationary but with the 0-6-0T's wheels and rods dutifully continuing to turn.

It had run into (and very much made a mess of)  ... a SLUG :laugh:  :mosking:

I remember a favourite 'lost train' tale my Dad used to tell of a model railway friend who had a OO garden layout. It was basically a large dumbbell, out of the shed and back. A slow moving (freight train could easily take 5 or 6 minutes before it made it back to the shed.

Anyhow, this incident occurred during a night running session. A small freight train hauled by a 0-6-0T was sent on its way and duly disappeared from the glow of the shed. Getting engrossed in a conversation in their cosy, warm 'den', they realised at length that some 15-20 minutes had passed without said train returning. With no indication of anything amiss from the control panel, they set off, torches in hand, to walk the line and ascertain what fate had befallen the night freight. Round the far side of the return loop, there they found it, stationary but with the 0-6-0T's wheels and rods dutifully continuing to turn.

It had run into (and very much made a mess of)  ... a SLUG :laugh:  :mosking:

Now that sounds like a fun setup if you linked two sheds and used bell codes. The dark would add to the effect.

Back in 1975, my mum hid all the Christmas presents a bit too well and only found some of them about 20 years later, including a 3H wagon kit I had asked for back in the day (you guessed it, it's now in my loft)  

In the 70's a couple of clubmates built an end-to-end O gauge layout, a half each with a tunnel in the middle.  Their main motive power was a Tri-ang BigBig Train Hymek.  The first train of the day - a light engine to test all was OK -  was despatched from one end to the other - but didn't arrive.  A fair amount of searching and head scratching went on until they found it, merrily going backwards and forwards inside the tunnel with the reversing lever on the side catching on the inside of the tunnel portals at each end.

Moral of the story?  Always test your layout BEFORE bringing it to a show!

This has gone down in the verbal folk history of the club, handed down from generation to generation.

A slightly different slant - I know where my Balboa brass Southern Pacific GS-4 Daylight 4-8-4 is - Calgary, Alberta - but I don't know where the guy is who was supposed to install a decoder in it.

Balboa brass, made in Japan, are not considered the best of North American brass HO locos, but let's just say that it is a helluva lot better than the Bachmann version still sold today.  I bought it second hand in the mid 1980s and replaced the motor and lights, so it was a cherished model of my favorite North American express engine.  I have since bought a Broadway Limited GS-4 which, though plastic bodied, is a much more accurate model.  I have tried to find the guy and send in the heavies but to no avail.

And here is a photo of it taken about 7 years ago when I was working in Calgary.

post-20733-0-84897900-1426179027_thumb.jpg

Archived