RMweb is now part of the Warners family

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Obviously we are all a little concerned about commercial involvement as it means that someone is now looking at MY content to see if they can make money from it, perhaps without asking my permission. I wouldn't want to have the idea that I was looking over my shoulder or curtailing my posts because I was under the impression that Big Brother was watching me.

This sentiment has been voiced or hinted at by several people already but in fact it is nothing new to RMWeb. I don't mean that in a 'Big Brotherly' way but in the obvious one - folk associated with the magazines clearly read RMWeb, some folk associated with the magazines contribute to RMWeb and long have. But also folk associated with magazines must have found RMWeb a useful conduit to sources for articles and layouts - especially for layouts which have never been, or cannot be, exhibited and as an equally useful route to finding authors with ideas or an ability to string several cogent words together.

The stuff we put on here is indeed 'ours' (and Andy has made it clear that it will continue to be ours) but anyone with a computer etc can read it, gain ideas from it, or make contacts through it - and remember it for the future when compiling their editorial targets etc. And equally anyone with a computer has long been able to pinch our ideas, words, or pictures and use it as they see fit (until found out) just as they can with other web content - as several past threads have said. So nothing at all has changed and there is no new 'threat' - just continuing the same opportunities.

I feel you might have gone about things slightly the wrong way Andy....

If you'd gone for a full blown dictatorship you could have eradicated the opposition :diablo_mini:

You really are far too liberal sometimes... :D

Seriously though, congratulations on achieving this positive outcome for both you and the site.

Congratulations Andy,

We've come full circle with BRM.

I did wonder how long before commercial naysayers would begin to bang the drums of doom.

If it was the difference between no long term future for RMWeb or a BRMWeb (did you see what I did there lol), I am quite happy with the new arrangement and as it stands you now have even more time to spend on RMWeb.

Simply..... WELL DONE! you've persevered with rmweb for so many years with your own determination to make the site the centre to model rail excellence that it has risen to become and it is great to see an arrangement has been made where you will be securely employed to do something you enjoy doing :D

To be fair, what you're describing could have been going on all along. If I was a major player in the commercial sector I'd be keeping an eye on this forum!

I agree and yes I am sure that a lot of commercial people are on this forum or keep an eye on it. But the argument remains that if you hand over 'gen' to a forum that is owned by someone who is poised to make a commercial decision based on that 'gen' that is a very different aspect to that that went before.

The fact that you posted it here, knowing that the owner of the site or the brand if you prefer, had extra rights that you were unaware of to both plagiarise or otherwise use the 'gen' that you had posted on RMWeb.

Basically, who do you trust: Andy Y or Warners corporate? If Andy Y trips up we can have a go at him. If Warners trip up how do you have a go at them?

Perhaps I would be re-assured if Warners had a PERSON on here that had the same clout as Andy Y. They only need to be here for about seven years and post 4000 times on all subjects. Then I would trust them!

I wonder what the critics would have said if Andy had simply announced that he had had enough and was going to close the site down!

Geoff Endacott

A similar thing happened to “Preserved Diesels†Tim Farmer who had been running the site for years, announced that there would be no more news. The site and its attached forum, was under constant attack from a small percentage of “militantâ€contributors

He had been running it, raising the money for its upkeep, and decided one day that he had, had enough. It was his site and his decision, and after been at the receiving end of criticism for a something I do in my spare time , I can understand his decision.

After some debate,the site got another mug, owner.

Gary

It's not necessarily the commercial tie-in per se, it's the fact it's Warners that concern me more.

Similar mixed feelings here: Warners are thought of by many as far more profit focused than some other major players in the hobby (not entirely a bad thing but short term gains have to be balanced with long term sustainability) As a neuteral observer with no particular axe to grind either way, that is the impression I get from both BRM magazine and the Warners shows...

We don't know though (and have no right to know) the full details of Andy's 'deal' with Warners i.e. what safeguards of neutrality are written in to it or if there is any minimum length of time the RMWeb name most be retained and free membership must be maintained, or even if they can dismiss Andy a week next Tuesday and put their own man in charge but hopefully Andy covered all that before signing up...

As I said earlier I've mixed feelings. The long term sustainability of the forum has to be number 1 priority but that should not be at the expense of the spirit and freedom of the forum, the quality of the content, or being beholden to a single master. That why I have to agree with Jamies comment:

To counter the cynics and those innocently misled, it could prove to be a bit more of a necessity (rather than just a preference) for the site to maintain a visible neutrality in future.

I would add that it's neutrality not just of magazines/publishers but also, RTR manufacturers, and even Exhibitions where a few (not Warners events) do seem to have been 'over-hyped' on here recently...

There must be something big going on today ! 7 pages of comment in as many hours.

Congratulations Andy! , Glad to hear that you have got your self a paid job at last.

Despite your reassurances I only hope things don't become too commercialized

or is it inevitable ?

Anyhow , good luck with the new venture John R

For all of the congrats ramblings in the past 7 pages NOBODY has asked the most crucial question.

does Andy still have to make his own cuppa or pay someone to get it made ????

Cheers Andy coffee white 2 sugs plz :P

All the best to you fella.

Ken.

Another vote here for tangerine & white - much better to look at than claret & blue.

I could make you all suffer gold and black but it keeps sinking to the bottom of the page.

Just tell yourself it's Garter Blue & Crimson.

Despite the daily commute being down to 20 paces (see how environmentally conscious I am ;)), the tea rations are awful. I shall have a word with myself.

• RMweb Gold

For all of the congrats ramblings in the past 7 pages NOBODY has asked the most crucial question.

Cheers Andy coffee white 2 sugs plz :P

All the best to you fella.

Ken.

He'd better make his own, no one else could put enough sugar in it for him...

Despite the daily commute being down to 20 paces (see how environmentally conscious I am ;)), the tea rations are awful. I shall have a word with myself.

With that commute Andy, you will now be able to claim for your slippers as appropriate workwear under tax rules, biscuits will need to be rationed, or you won't even be walking 20paces. ;-)

Guest Natalie Graham

I suppose I am a doubter. My first reaction to the news was one of disappointment. However it isn't my forum so that isn'r reallly relevant. I can see why Andy has gone for this. It was a tremendous opportunity. Had I been in the same position I can't imagine I would have taken a different view. All those of us not involved in the running and management can do is hope it remains somewhere we want to visit and any changes that do occur are for the best. I am sure the forum will continue to go from strength to strength with this deal even If it turns out that one or two of us do fall by the wayside. I am quite sure the forum would function a lot better without me, or any of those expressing doubts, than it would without Andy and it must be a great personal relief to Andy to have the financial future of not only RMWeb but himself and his family on a more secure footing. Considering what Andy has provided for us over the years of RMWeb, for no financial return, I don't think anyone could really grumble whatever he decided to do with it.

As for adopting the Strathglass Shinty Club colours, I hope that changes again soon, I find the red bits really stick out and jar when looking at the pages.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Andy

Good luck with the future of RM Web. Like many on here personally I wish you all the best. I had no idea about your circumstances but I am glad that you have managed to sort something out for you and your family.

I do wonder whether turning a pastime into full time employment will suck all the fun out of it, though I am sure you will have thought this through!

My only reservation is a vague, almost intangible sadness that something I felt was an online community has now become an online commodity.

I understand that the site was always yours, and that having put in so much effort and hard work you surely deserve a reward, but somehow when I read the first post of this thread I couldn't help but feel a twinge of regret.

Having said that, I trust your instincts and look forward to an independent, sustainable, informative and, occasionally, opinionated RM Web remaining largely unchanged.

cheers

Ben A,

Following on from a day when the impartiality of the Mods has been called into question and now the naysayers on here I feel it is time to have a say and be criticised for it if you like.

Rest assured Andy has thought long and hard about this decision prior to making it and he has addressed most if not all of the concerns raised already. Do those of you that have been here for some time really think he would sell out and not give a damn about any of the things he has struggled to build up over the years?

We have discussed before the release of the information today the negative reactions that would be posted. Yet even now I am surprised by the thinking of some that have posted.

On the very first day of the news already some have Andy marked down as a Judas and Warners as the big bad wolf. Oh and one even has Andy sacked in the coming weeks! Then some talk about the spirit of RMWeb and don't want that to go. Well what a great spirit we have shown at times today. How very welcoming and friendly some of us are (not).

Tell you what before we condemn Warners why don't we just give them a chance? Criticise what they do with the forum by all means when they do something but lets not hang them today.

Warm and friendly lot aren't we?

Having said that, Andy has promised us a weekly allowance of gourmet kitten food sachets, throat lozenges, Sugar Puffs and WD40 (I'm sure you can work out who gets what!).

Well I would have thought you'd all have had a weekly paracetamol allowance from the regular banging of your heads upon your desks. Time is ripe to renegotiate your terms; you might even get a nerve-soothing G&T allowance out of him too!

Archived