RMweb is now part of the Warners family

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations and well done. No issue with Warners . I must admit surprise though as I always thought RMWeb had more of an affinity with Model Rail with the ties in with Model of the Year etc. I hope ,though, that reasoned criticism will still be allowed . I use this site for reviews on new models and get the real low down (as with the VEP) rather than the antisceptic reviews in the mags. In fairness BRM has always seemed the most objective to me, but I do wonder what presure will be put on Warners from major advertisers to subdue threads like that on the VEP as they now know its under one roof. Still time will tell. As I understand it although MRF has a tie in with Hornby Mag it is not owned by it, so this development with RMWeb is new territory.

Thanks to Andy for his hard work and inspiration and I'm glad its worked out for him. And even though I have some reservations , having the continued use of RMWEb is very important and certainly better than if it hadn't gone on.

Hello Andy, sounds good.

I am really very new to the site and don't know the history. I was always very conscious of the amount of time and effort that you must be putting in. A BIG thankyou and great news for the future.

The Future is via WWW. Paper publications are perhaps past their sell by date. In the same way you could almost say that High Street shops are a thing of the past. All very exciting.

Thanks again Ray

• RMweb Premium

I noticed the colour changes when I took a brief peek this morning.... What to say that already hasn't? I think "well done Andy for securing your own and RMweb's futures".

Oh and "do you need a paid assistant to make you tea?"

All the best...

Having got my congratulations in on page 1 this morning before work, returning home to find we're now on page 12, I'm actually very pleased and surprised how positive the rest of the comments are. Very few seem to be negative, far less than on most threads that start with with the ominous heading 'important announcement'. Probably because most people have realised that, other than for Andy, there actually is little fundamental change here - us modellers will still log in, post photos and stories about what we are modelling, other people will coo and make helpful suggestions, and everyone goes to bed happy (well, most do at least, but its evident that trolls never sleep...).

With a secure commercial backer, and Andy's full devotion to the site though, I do expect changes to happen, but I see them as improvements, and in that spirit, here's a few I'd like to see:

1. More challenges, starting earlier in the year - the past 2 have really taken off and I'd like to see more opportunities to get involved in this kind of 'competitive' modelling as I really think it stretches everyone's skills and is incredibly worth while.

2. The calendar of events (either RMweb organised, or by individuals) gets beefed up with more to do, across a wider geographic area (an RMweb Live event that isn't 4 hours drive away would be welcome). For many of us, this is our 'club', so any opportunity to expand the social (and 'real') side of things would be most welcome.

3. Build on the 'prize/award' aspect of the site - having come 4th in Trainwest's experiment with the RMweb voting prize at last year's show, I think there's a real opportunity to build on this and make it a sort of AA hotel rating type thing - the mark of quality that RMweb aspires to. Imagine if exhibitions in the future were keen to note they had 6 RMweb Gold Layouts attending, or similar..

Hopefully Andy has a brain full of ideas he's preparing to unleash on us, but for those who can't resist the temptation to grumble about any change - remember, this site is only as good as the work featured on it, so keep modelling and keep posting, and all will be fine!

David

• RMweb Gold

The bloke who thought of it, expanded it and guided it made the decision that it not only helped him to have a steady job but that it would be good for RMweb. No one here loses any money, and if you don't agree with the idea then you are as free as Andy to set up and nurture another forum which will live by it's merits ;)

There's even pages of comment on other forums he'll be in the papers next!

RMweb is free and intends to remain so, It's much bigger than most railway forums so it costs a lot more to run and that must have been a major headache over the last year for the Boss.

Good news on the job - frankly, that's the most important bit after everything you've given to the place.

Wary? Yeah, I am, being honest. But I remember once posting that the closer ties between Model Rail and RMWeb were acting as a loss of independence for the site and I've been proven wrong about that. What difference did it make? Well only positive as it turned out. The first post did make me feel a little sad (Ben Ando's post summed up my feelings pretty well), but sitting here now the positives outweigh the negatives really.

Fundamentally the place continues, and on a more secure footing, and with someone at the helm full time who understands what it's about and how it works. Sounds good to me.

One question, not that it makes the slightest difference, but I'm a curious sort; will you (Andy) still be working from home or are you now a commuter?

When I work from home I always seem to fall under the heavy steps of 'The Other' and I'm actively encouraged to sample the sea air, immediately, without passing Go...

So, was that a new pair of cufflinks you were shopping for with Mrs Y?

Paper publications are perhaps past their sell by date. In the same way you could almost say that High Street shops are a thing of the past.

I tell you what, WH Smith must be out of touch when they opened a pure book shop in the 'high street' in Beverley a year or so ago...

Civilised soiceties have books, the internet just makes the written word available in a wider way.

I don't mind the advertising as long as its not intrusive & over the top. Why not have a free for all advertising forum subject ?

I like the new format BUT I find the white background to be very stark / overpowering. Most of us on here are not young and we need a little less "bright screen" eye invasion. Have a quick look at this site, http://forums.mg-rover.org/ Just the screen colours I'm talking about, Tab between the 2 sites - see what I mean. Or perhaps a grey background instead of white. just a small point really, what do others think ?

Suggestions - Perhaps a few Forum subjects dedicated to the major manufacturers/ magazines, where THEY can have their say and WE can reply. Perhaps also a basement "Flame" area for all the Political rant, etc. Subjects that get too controversial could be moved there if they don't conform, and get locked / binned if they go too far, thus avoiding alot of PM's, sanctions, etc. Works well on other sites.

Anyway, to Andy & all concerned, good luck & best wishes with the site.

Brit15

Personally, I'm very happy with the current page colours and find them tranquil and calm. I opened your MG forum and thought I was on an acid trip... :O

Wow, that's lively and very tiring to look at, so I guess we each have differing views....

Oh and I am in my 60's and have to wear glasses for reading.

I like the new format BUT I find the white background to be very stark / overpowering. Most of us on here are not young and we need a little less "bright screen" eye invasion. Have a quick look at this site, http://forums.mg-rover.org/ Just the screen colours I'm talking about, Tab between the 2 sites - see what I mean. Or perhaps a grey background instead of white. just a small point really, what do others think ?

I'm not keen on dot org - since they started charging it put me off. You can only advertise if you pay, regardless of your reputation or what else your posting and contributing. I had a thread removed and got a b*llocking when I offered a pair of Rover 600 front fogs 'free to a good home' because it was 'unathorised selling'. I didn't think giving something away was that bad!

I'll be honest, my one fear for RMweb is it turning into something

Well just over 12 hours in and the world (or RMweb) hasn't ended just yet!

To the dissenters, remind me never to get stranded on a desert island with you ;)

And I must admit, I dont tend to notice the ads on other sites with adverts in, unless there are big jugs involved.

(I have been an avid collector of Clarice Cliff for many years! ;) )

Good luck to Andy and the site, and god bless all those that post on her!

One question, not that it makes the slightest difference, but I'm a curious sort; will you (Andy) still be working from home or are you now a commuter?

Most of the time I'll be in the home office, over at Bourne for meetings a few times a month and out on the road working on material the rest of the time with a sprinkling of shows.

Hello Andy from an autumnal morning in New Zealand. I have always been impressed by your presence on this site, and congratulate you.

Robbie McGavin (who was for many years moderator of the old Compuserve and AOL CARS 'Motormouth' forum but who has retired from such activity)

Perhaps also a basement "Flame" area for all the Political rant, etc. Subjects that get too controversial could be moved there if they don't conform, and get locked / binned if they go too far, thus avoiding alot of PM's, sanctions, etc.

I reread that looking for smilies but didn't find any. Are you serious? And are you volunteering to manage such a system, which is a) in respect of an area of discussion which would be way outside forum rules, and b ) of no relevance whatsoever to RMWeb? Read my lips - in general, politics and some other subjects are not permitted, but we let some go as long as it remains intelligent and constructive. We're not obliged to do that. When it goes too far, we lock it - simples. And you're suggesting *another* layer of non railway modelling rant that *we* would have to deal with?

Andy, might be a silly question but will the name remain or is a shift BRMweb likely in the future?!

I did toy with the name exactly as you have it there but certainly for the foreseeable it'll be RMweb.

I did toy with the name exactly as you have it there but certainly for the foreseeable it'll be RMweb.

Thanks Andy - I was curious as keeping the name as it is infers that the forum is viewed as a completely seperate enterty (sp?) within the warners Group rather than an extension of BRM itself.

• RMweb Premium

Most of the time I'll be in the home office, over at Bourne for meetings a few times a month and out on the road working on material the rest of the time with a sprinkling of shows.

Sounds awful Andy, how will you cope?

Mod 6, point understood. A model railway forum ain't the right place for high profile political rant etc. I was thinking of lesser profile topics, but on rethinking, your right, it's a hot potato, subjects go from cool to hot rather quickly, and politics is probably better left out of this site. It was just a thought. best left alone.

Regards, Brit15

Archived