Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed the comments in post #319 regards the new lighting arrangements on 9708, uploaded a reasonably recent shot taken at Carlisle on the 29th Jan

http://www.asterias.co.uk/kaleidoscape/displayimage.php?pid=2690

Thanks - Nice detail pic of 9708 - tail lamp in the centre window and a patch paint of brighter yellow on the side as well as the gaffer tape.

Cheers,

Mick

37516 has already had an away day to Carl BR's Alderford at the recent Pretson Ex, but here's a quick (bad) phone shot of the WC twins having their first outing on Blackmill.

attachicon.gifDSC_0259.jpg

Pretty much finished, although I still need to detail the buffer beams and sort out the couplings, but this depends on the train that I put together for them - probably going to be a miscellaneous rake of WCRC that's on a Ardwick depot visit to/from tyre turning (without the burning 47500 on the back.............).

In the meantime, they'll be put on the "almost finished" shelf (they will be made ready for York at Easter), whilst I get on with the yellow stuff - 9516 went under the knife last night.

I've also started initial research and design on a longer term project - single unit 98008, converted from a Bachy MPV. I need to have an hour or two with my friendly etch drawing friend of Liverpool Lime St roof  fame.

Cheers,

Mick

Edit - pic added

Hey Mick

I may have pulled some funny faces at your loco's visit to Alderford but you have done some cracking jobs on the Rainbow 66 and these 37's.

See you at York and I should have an answer for you about Perth by then as well.

Carl

• Like 1

If it's a T handle, I tend to use etched handles from 247 Developments (but I've just run out). If I'm feeling flush, I may use turned brass T handles!

For L shaped handles, I usually use 0.3mm wire, bent to shape and then flattened between a pair of smooth nosed pliers.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks, will have a look for them :)

• RMweb Premium

Too many (not enough time.....)

And it's always changing as new measurement technologies are developed. The next one (or two!) along is the PLPRV - plain line pattern recognition vehicle,

PLPR usues cameras and software to detect defects in rails and their fixings.

PLPR1 has been  converted from 72631 and the PLPR2 will be from 5981.

5981 has been released to traffic. More windows to fill and undeframes to hack.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northamptontoffeeman/8577204777/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northamptontoffeeman/8577204803/in/photostream/

I'll probably do this when I break out the yellow paint again with the DVT (and possibly NMT)

Although I still await the announcement of a LtdEd 5981..................

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Guest 40-something

Looking like a yellow Vic Berry's.....

attachicon.gifDSCF6160c.jpg

Apologies for the dodgy pic.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

You should maybe change your user name to Yellow Fingers!!!

Very impressed with your work, looking forward to hopefully seeing some of it at Perth

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick

You should maybe change your user name to Yellow Fingers!!!

Very impressed with your work, looking forward to hopefully seeing some of it at Perth

Hi Joe,

Thanks. I've had a good morning airbrushing grey roofs. Ironically, I've had time to do them today because I had planned to replace my garage roof this weekend, but postponed the job due to the inclement weather.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Looking like a yellow Vic Berry's.....

attachicon.gifDSCF6160c.jpg

Apologies for the dodgy pic.

Cheers,

Mick

hi

was wondering what paint you used to repsray your coaches?

i've recently started using an airbrush to weather some of my wagons and have decided i want the challenge of respraying a coach.

thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Phil

p.s. have looked at precision paints stand recently at ally pally exhibition and could not see a network rail colour.

Edited by hawkingetippyd

Phil,

Have a look at these mate..

RM272 Network Rail 'Sunshine' Yellow - Railmatch

P310 Network Rail Bodyside Yellow - Phoenix Paints

I believe that Mick has used the Phoenix one on some of his coaches before.

Edited to add link. See post #8

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33366-network-rail-yellow-which-paint-to-use/

Edited by Tase
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As Tase says - Precision Phoenix is my yellow paint of choice, but I do have a pot of Railmatch to use, if only to have a slightly different shade as the NwR stuff never seems to be the same finish - especially after a few months service.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As Tase says - Precision Phoenix is my yellow paint of choice, but I do have a pot of Railmatch to use, if only to have a slightly different shade as the NwR stuff never seems to be the same finish - especially after a few months service.

Cheers,

Mick

thanks mick and tase for the advice.

i'm looking forward to having a go now. just gotta get it prepared and the primer coat done.

phil

• RMweb Premium

Mick is there any chance of a few pictures of Caroline at all? The model I mean! I've seen the real thing enough times!

I'll put a couple up here later. It's due for a magazine feature soon.......

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Amazing stuff.

Wish I had the skill to do something even close to this.

Years of practice with plenty of error, blood, filler, paint, wheels, scrap bodies etc. I have a large supply of all of these after the years I've been modelling.

Find a cheap Airfix Mk2d BSO (£5 on ebay typically) or any other coach body from the scrap box under a second hand traders stall at an exhibition and have a go! Blank one window at a time, hopefully getting better with each one. Then when you're happy, go for a full blanked coach such as 99666 or 977986

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

On the big batch of yellow stuff, I've been busy painting handrails and footboards white, along with applying about 40 feet of 6mm masking tape to do the orange cantrail lines on 10 coaches. (Pics soon)

In the meantime, 56094 has emerged from the paintshop.

post-408-0-68628800-1365288782_thumb.jpg

Gentle weathering still to be applied.

60074 is likely to be next into the works, although I'm beginning to obtain enough suitable pics to do a yellow Mk3 DVT....................

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14