Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick.

I've Kinda made a start on My DVT Project :).

Looks like you're working on an etched version...... :tease:

I have two more to do and will probably stick with the transfer method. Please pass on my apologies to the etch supplier :ok:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

That's a brave cut, a circular hole on the top I can stomach, but a gapping hole so close to the edge makes me a little queazy, I would be terrified of bodging it.

Don't worry. there's been plenty of bodging in the past. (and probably still more to come in the future) That's how we learn! :scratchhead:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

That's a brave cut, a circular hole on the top I can stomach, but a gapping hole so close to the edge makes me a little queazy, I would be terrified of bodging it.

Jaz... T'was easy as there is already a channel to follow with the knife - slow and gentle cuts gets you to here.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

The WCRC stuff begins.

It's another BG generator van, but quite different to the NWR gennies.

attachicon.gif

After a couple of weeks off - heavy cold/family/work/R n R after Perth, it's back to the shed.

Going back to a longer term project, generator 6312 has passed across the workbench again. Handrails and door handles have been fitted and a quick spray with primer and it all looks good. Pic soon.

This is a precursor to a WCRC railtour fleet (although 6312 seems to spend a large amount of time with the SRPS set).

Other projects soon to be on the go, apart from the inevitable yellow, are another DBS 60, after acquiring one at a favourable rate at the DEMU show last week. A DRS 37/6 to accompany the yellow stuff and a yellow loco being stripped to be painted a.n.other colour apart from yellow. (That's three uses of "yellow" in the same sentence!)

Oh - and writing a couple of magazine articles.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick,

I've been very much enjoying this thread - I've been working on a DBSO and a couple of test train coaches (977868 and 977869) so this has been a treasure trove! One thing I don't think you've mentioned (or I've missed) is how you do the cantrails? Do you find that transfers work well - or are you painting them -if so what colour orange?

Looking forward to your future posts!

Marcus.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

I've been very much enjoying this thread - I've been working on a DBSO and a couple of test train coaches (977868 and 977869) so this has been a treasure trove! One thing I don't think you've mentioned (or I've missed) is how you do the cantrails? Do you find that transfers work well - or are you painting them -if so what colour orange?

Looking forward to your future posts!

Marcus.

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the post.

Orange cantrails will either be transfer or paint - it depends upon the model. The latest batch of Mk2's have painted cantrails, using masking tape along the gutter line, but transfers at the ends across the blank gangways on 72612 and cab fronts on the RTOV/DBSO for example. Previous coaches in the thread - 1256/5981/9481/977997 for example, used transfers, but they are fiddly and fragile.

I use whatever orange is nearest to hand! In the last batch, it was Colas Rail orange, which is nice and bright.

Locos are usually transfers.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Back to my DRS 37/6. It'll be 37601 "Class 37 - Fifty".  it'll be rostered to my yellow test fleet, although may get hijacked for other workings if a local rumour pans out....................

Base model is a Bachmann 37514, but it needs a few alterations:

Roof mods as per my previous WCRC 37/5 and 37/7.

RSH style cantrail grilles as per 37516.

Cast bogie mods as per 37706.

New noses from Pete Harvey - the existing moulding has a raised panel across the nose. I had considered modifying the model, but it would've been difficult to do without damaging the horn covers and headlight detail.

One blanked engine room window.

Nose side grilles on the secondman's corner need an extra vertical, so they match the nose grilles on the driver's corner. Shawplan etches were considered, but I think I've managed to accomplish what I want with a sharp knife.

Before & after pics soon if it works out!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Back to my DRS 37/6. It'll be 37601 "Class 37 - Fifty".  it'll be rostered to my yellow test fleet, although may get hijacked for other workings if a local rumour pans out....................

One blanked engine room window.

Nose side grilles on the secondman's corner need an extra vertical, so they match the nose grilles on the driver's corner. Shawplan etches were considered, but I think I've managed to accomplish what I want with a sharp knife.

Before & after pics soon if it works out!

My "local" 6K05 NDS train has indeed gone over to DRS traction - 66428 was the first loco to work it, but hopefully it'll see some older EE traction over the coming months.

In the meantime, the new noses for 37601 are in the post from Pete Harvey and I've progressed the alterations to the nose side grilles.

This is the original moulding on the driver's side. The grilles at the other end need to look like this.

post-408-0-86151800-1375142411_thumb.jpg

The secondman's side is originally two full grilles

post-408-0-71070200-1375143211.jpg

- I've added the vertical gap by gently scribing with a scalpel blade and then turning the blade through 90 degrees and "scraping" a slot. (

post-408-0-67559900-1375142441_thumb.jpg

Blanked engine room window on one side.

post-408-0-84362900-1375142455_thumb.jpg

The other side has a painted over window, as the frame is still in place. Rather than glueing the supplied window in place - which would leave a gap between the window moulding and the frame, I've filled it with a piece of styrene

post-408-0-88320200-1375142916_thumb.jpg

I will thin down the frame moulding slightly to allow the full DRS Compass transfer to settle down better, but still let the frame show through.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The new resin noses arrived from Pete Harvey today - only had chance for a quick perusal and they certainly look the part with the square red tail light surrounds and DRS multi connector. There's a set of etches for the horn covers also. The resin nose has been designed to re-use the light units from the base model - which was partly the reason for choosing 37601 - other 37/6's are available!

Pics soon.

The 37 is now primed and ready for top coat - just need to find time to mix up some DRS blue.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

These are the Pete Harvey noses with etched horn covers applied. (Apologies for the colour cast). As Pete suggested, apart from removing the moulded cover, I've drilled it out to create a bit of depth behind the etched grille.

post-408-0-31806100-1375399571_thumb.jpg

And Lady Luck smiled on me today. There's been a Carlisle-Preston-Carlisle DRS route learner running by my house on and off for the last few days using 57004. I was out at the rear of the house earlier today and I heard the dulcet tones of an EE power unit and 37601 "Class 37 - Fifty" trundles by. A quick check of realtime trains and it's due back my way during my lunchbreak.

So off to my local station at the requisite time.

post-408-0-46748500-1375399755_thumb.jpg

Just spotted a useful detail before I apply the topcoat - the engine room window isn't fully painted/decalled over - it's still a window.

post-408-0-32416000-1375399774_thumb.jpg

As I've already fitted a blank, I have three options.

1. Leave as is and paint the blank to represent glazing. (gloss black maybe)

2. Remove it and refit the original glazing unit with the gap between the glazing moulding and the body

3. Remove it, paint the body, fit a piece of glazing from acetate sheet and decal over.

I reckon I'll have a go at option 3.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

What are the blocks under the buffer beam either side of the coupling? Mounting holes for electrical stuff from it's EPS days?

Cheers

Daryl

Pics of the 37/6's in EPS days certainly have another couple of connectors - 37602 is still carrying them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47843_vulcan/9072872461/

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More distractions from the yellow stuff.

A couple of weeks off from modelling - holidays and nice weather getting in the way.

A visit to Kingmoor open day yesterday has kickstarted the work bench, as 37601 was at Carlisle, along with another DRS project.

However, I also photted a couple of DRS 20/3's that have been simmering as an idea for a few months now, since also photting a pair at York at Easter. I obtained a couple of sets of Compass decals from r3sprays and have started to research a suitable pair to do.

Apart from the choppers, there were also four PFA wagons in the shed, 

post-408-0-52327100-1376862717_thumb.jpg

that suddenly reminded me that I had a pack of DC Kits Cawoods PFA's. A quick bit of googling and forum research and sure enough, they're the same wagon. I thought the DRS PFA's only worked along the Cumbrian Coast from Sellafield-Drigg on low level waste duty, but it seems that they convey waste from all around the UK.

Virtually the first pic I found on flickr included the same pair of 20/3's from Kingmoor 20305/309

This is another one with an interesting load that begs to be modelled.

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. Although the Cawoods PFA's are not available from DC Kits at the moment, I believe Charlie is about to do another production run.

• Like 3

Hi Mick. Could I ask you how you go about getting coach lining to 'sit' properly in between all the nooks and crannies, door edges etc. I am cutting them into small pieces, and using Microsol, but they are still not settling as well as I would like. This is a picture of my 1st attempt, hope you don't mind me posting,

9558401584_fc9cf503fb_b.jpg

Cheers,

Lee.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick. Could I ask you how you go about getting coach lining to 'sit' properly in between all the nooks and crannies, door edges etc. I am cutting them into small pieces, and using Microsol, but they are still not settling as well as I would like. This is a picture of my 1st attempt, hope you don't mind me posting,

Hi Lee.

Very good for a first attempt! 

Patience and more microsol. Let the microsol soak in and then gently persuade the lining into the gaps with a brush damped with microsol. It may take 3-4 goes to finally get the transfer stretched into place.

Sometimes you have to work your way along, carefully filling one gap, then the next, but being careful not to pull the transfer out from the gap you've just filled.......

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I've finally managed to fire up the airbrush and paint the new ends for 37601. (Pics later).

In the meantime, I thought I'd start to reassemble the body with radiator grilles and windows. B*gger me if I couldn't find one of the grilles. I usually keep the bits for a loco in a "project box" until I've reassembled and tested it. Any odds and sods left over end up in my odds and sods box.

In the case of this 37, there will be two original nose ends going spare (they may find their way onto another 37, but that depends upon DRS rebuilding one of the recent four 37/7's that they've recently acquired). B*gger me if one of the nose ends hasn't also disappeared. The original ends were required, as I needed to strip out the factory lighting units and fit them to the new PHD ends.

Then I remembered that I had dropped the project box a couple of weeks ago........................... in one of my senior moments, that seem to becoming more regular.

Much cursing and searching of the shed floor and the radiator grille turned up in a couple of minutes. After about 30 minutes of hands and knees tidying up, the nose hadn't reappeared and I was about to give up and consign myself to either asking around for a spare lighting unit, or even making one up, I suddenly realised that my toolbox, that normally lives near the project boxes hadn't yet been searched. Bingo!

Morals of the story.

1. Keep shed floor tidy..

2. Make sure that boxes have secure lids before you drop them

3. - the most important - Try not to drop them in the first place.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

37601 has had a test fit of the new ends. Rad grilles, glazing and handrails still to be fitted. (and 37601 numerals)

post-408-0-59509400-1377371334_thumb.jpg

The first PFA has been test assembled and the frame that is used to raise the floor fitted.

post-408-0-53585000-1377371449_thumb.jpg

The base for the low level waste boxes has also been started.

post-408-0-11863900-1377371489_thumb.jpg

My other DRS loco has had an exhaust blanked off - apparently this is to prevent excess fumes being sucked into the ventilation systems on a pendo

post-408-0-11343100-1377371568_thumb.jpg

Finally a bit of fun. I now have amoney box for my loose change.

post-408-0-30249300-1377371610_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-38223500-1377371634_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

Very nice! You. Ale all this work look so easy! That PFA looks great and as a 57 nutter that model of 307 looks lovely, will it be ran on New Bryford at Blackburn?

Edited by Swifty11