Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

Got it! The difference that is...few vents gone awol but so too has three foot of an opening aperture....

Nice...subtle

I want one!

As for roof panels AFAIK 2d 2e have the airfix size 2f's are bigger, Southern Pride do lovely affordable etches of em.

Ian

Well done  Ian! 3 feet indeed. Roof vents also. Correct about the roof panels also. 10/10 A*

Dunno about the other side yet - awaiting pics. I think at least one of the corridor connections has been removed - maybe both. Again, the pics will confirm.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

nice one mick.

central door has been removed and the smaller window nearest camera has been made into a large window. nice little weekend project this one.

kind regards,bob

Hi Bob, Maybe you're looking at a BSO that's been adapted with a disabled space - see yellow 9481 - this has the large window chopped down to a small window! (and alterations on the other side also)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

All the generator fitted RTOV's have fuel tanks - 9701/9708/9714. If you search for any of these on the various photo sites, there are decent roof shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemananhisdog/4002401654/

9702/9703 are not generator fitted - and don't have the grilles on the driver's side.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

. Roof vents also. Correct about the roof panels also. 10/10 A*

Dunno about the other side yet - awaiting pics. I think at least one of the corridor connections has been removed - maybe both. Again, the pics will confirm.

Still awaiting confirmation about the ends, but the matching door on the other side is also blanked out. Ta to Roland Turner for the info. This pic also confirms the removal of three roof vents from the Airfix BSO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestrains/8360520335/in/photostream/

Cheers,

Mick

One vent over the near the plated over door 11 rib sections down? I would say and the two above the passenger door

Is this based at Derby?

If so I might take a drive down the A38 and see how close you can get to grab some images..

Ian

• RMweb Premium

One vent over the near the plated over door 11 rib sections down? I would say and the two above the passenger door Is this based at Derby? If so I might take a drive down the A38 and see how close you can get to grab some images.. Ian

Yep with the vents. The yellow stuff is normally based at Derby.

The measurement/test vehicles in this train, HSTRC 999550 and EMV 977983 tend to spend a large amount of their time on Southern Region metals - working as the unofficially designated "NMT2". NMT2 is Mk2 based as the Mk3 fleet isn't normally allowed in 3rd rail territory. Short swing link BT10's allowed near the 3rd rail, but the NMT Mk3's have long swing links.

As a brake force runner, 9523 could turn up anywhere - I'll be tracking it's movements via the sightings pages at www.departmentals.com

London Road at Derby is the best place to get test train shots, but it's a case of pot luck what is visibly stabled near the road bridge.

Cheers,

Miick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still awaiting confirmation about the ends, but the matching door on the other side is also blanked out. Ta to Roland Turner for the info. This pic also confirms the removal of three roof vents from the Airfix BSO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestrains/8360520335/in/photostream/

Cheers,

Mick

I now have confirmation that 9523 retains it's corridor ends - thank you Mr Meld!

Definitely comes under the "quickie" conversion.

post-408-0-50671600-1358199423_thumb.jpg

As with the RTOV conversions, I've removed the external hinges from the guard's door - the doors have internal hinges.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom,

Ta for the video link.

The BSO is 9481 - modified windows both sides to accomodate the disabled toilet and blanked rear corridor are the most obvious - see previous RSC3 work earlier in this thread.

Reasonably certain that the first coach is 977997, identified by the last window being blanked, but retaining the frame, RSC3 itself, also detailed earlier.

There are more yellow coaches to come into use soon - watch the press/www for more uses for a 57/3 and the rush for the LE boys to relivery a current Hornby model........!

Cheers,

Mick

edit: 977997 number corrected

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Hi Tom,

Ta for the video link.

The BSO is 9481 - modified windows both sides to accomodate the disabled toilet and blanked rear corridor are the most obvious - see previous RSC3 work earlier in this thread.

Reasonably certain that the first coach is 977997, identified by the last window being blanked, but retaining the frame, RSC3 itself, also detailed earlier.

There are more yellow coaches to come into use soon - watch the press/www for more uses for a 57/3 and the rush for the LE boys to relivery a current Hornby model........!

Cheers,

Mick

edit: 977997 number corrected

DVT??

• RMweb Premium

DVT??

Can't say, otherwise there'd be a premium on DVT's on eBay....... :declare:

9516 is also on the Network Rail list.

Back to the models, 9523 has now had the middle door finished off and has joined the pile awaiting handrails.

RTOV/DBSO 9708 is back on the bench having received the same treatment as the previously described 9714, but being dedicated to the Structure Gauging Train, it has a few extras on the cab end.

post-408-0-60905600-1358385375_thumb.jpg

Sharp knife and styrene to the rescue - pics soon.

It also has an odd arrangement of metalwork on the roof on the non-cab end. I presume it's related to the optical system - the dustbin looking device on the end of 460000. The previous vehicle that accompanied the optical car, 977985, didn't have these bits on - but then, the "dustbin" wasn't fitted.

http://shed83a.smugmug.com/CoachingStock/Mk2f/Mk2f-DBSO/17504543_J9LDKx#!i=1721390590&k=wrPTHKH&lb=1&s=A

Slaters microrod and a few minutes work have sorted that out.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Can I ask how many NR coaches there are?

Too many (not enough time.....)

And it's always changing as new measurement technologies are developed. The next one (or two!) along is the PLPRV - plain line pattern recognition vehicle,

PLPR usues cameras and software to detect defects in rails and their fixings.

PLPR1 has been  converted from 72631 and the PLPR2 will be from 5981. Both of these were previously in use as brake force runners - probably why 9523/9516 have been acquired. 

As new vehicles come into use, the older ones are retired or reused for other purposes.

In the meantime, some test vehicles are upgraded or refurbished which may involve changes to the window/door arrangements - HSTRC 999508 for example.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

RTOV/DBSO 9708 is back on the bench having received the same treatment as the previously described 9714, but being dedicated to the Structure Gauging Train, it has a few extras on the cab end.

attachicon.gif9708a.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

9708 now looks like this - it still needs the light fittings adding.

post-408-0-98967900-1358619761_thumb.jpg

As a previous post - I'm now starting the other detailing on the coaches - handrails, underframes, bogies, roof etc. and whilst looking at pictures for 999550, I've realised I've one window too many! Luckily I've managed to find it before it's too late - at least it's an easier job to fill a window rather than unblank it.  

post-408-0-01437700-1358619917_thumb.jpg

In my defence, in its lifetime, 999550 has undergone at least 3 window arrangements and quite a few more livery changes!

It looks like I'm swapping between coaches but that's the way I work - sorry!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A week without an update - but I now have lots of TEA photos and detail shots of DBS 60's.........

I've been working on the smaller details of the yellow stuff - handrails and bogies.

post-408-0-10995600-1359238817_thumb.jpg

There are bogies from Airfix/Bachmann/Lima.

The bogies have had footsteps added - strips of styrene sheet. Most of them have the B4/B5 standard long and short boards on one corner only, but those fitted to 999550 have extra steps, one of which is short upper. They're not 100% accurate such as those that JSW supplies as etches, but there to provide a base for the white painted step edge.

Some of the test vehicles are fitted with B5's instead of B4's - the dominant feature is the heavier section lower spring plank and a larger square section radius arm. The lower plank is a styrene strip. I could go to the expense of Southern Pride B5's, but it's one of those details that's usually not very visible. (Admitting to be slightly guilty of double standards here.......)

I've restarted work on another yellow project - 97304 - this'll bimble along as I get chance.

All four of the 97/3's now carry two "shark fin" aerials - easily done by cutting a small hole, fitting in a small "floor" and adding the fin from styrene.

post-408-0-76463500-1359239911_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-80684500-1359239934_thumb.jpg

They are also fitted with an ERTMS module in place of one of the fuel (water?) tanks. (When originally converted to 97/3's. they didn't have the shark fin or ERTMS gear)

The module is visible here

So it's out with the mini drill

post-408-0-38893500-1359239946_thumb.jpg

I also took the opportunity to fit a round speaker in the remaining tank space. I've yet to decide how to build the ERTMS module.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ta for the offer Phil. I have a few shots of the ERTMS rack but they'renot mine so I can't post them here.

However, please feel free to put a couple here.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Your WCRC stock move could be for tyre turning at Ardwick, Carnforth to Ardwick TMD via Blackmill.

Cheers

Simon.

My stock move will have t'n't 37's........ :devil:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1