Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Would you ever model your local station?

I would of liked to have made a layout of two of my local stations. Firstly it was Reading a compact terminus, the length, it would of been quite long if you took inthe link to the other railway.

The other one, from when I lived in Dorset. I was halve way between Corfe Castle and Swanage. I had thought of Swanage but in the end it was the layout of Corfe that I liked. Nice little goods yard and the posibility of larger locos on holiday expresses.

I think my next layout will be based on the Corfe track plan.

• RMweb Gold

my local staions are brockholes and stocksmoor.

Might be interesting if modelled in the past but not as they are today.

Used to rent the old station house in holmfirth and that would be quite a nice model i think.

• RMweb Premium

My current local station would have made quite a nice model with a good scenic break as the double track dissappeared into a tunnel at the platform end. there was a railway equipment nmanufacturer at the other end of the platforms which woul have provided some ibteresting traffic. Just a problem or 2

a) The line closed in the the mid 60's.

B) The tunnel is now part of Junction 27 of the M62, in fact the roof of it was exposed and dug up when the remodlled the roundabout a few years ago.

c) It ws GN and not midland so none of my current stock woud fit.

The station was Gildersome.

Jamie

Before I moved to cornwall, my nearest station was Dunstable North, which the now defunct Dunstable MRC attempted in OO finescale,baseboards, track and buildings were built but the layout was big and a change of clubroom with less space & dwindling membership sadly meant it had to be broken up.I could model it in its current state as council offices possibly in T gauge :O Limited operation but could include a guided busway

Now pondering a station on a proposed BR ex LSWR line to Truro (and Helston, assuming the GWR line was not built) :O passing the village I now live in.

• RMweb Gold

I'm modelling my local station (in the last few years of its working life)

Quite a lovely quaint station with plenty of varied traffic including milk (to the dairy in the background) and long summer excursions from I believe Cardiff.

post-6776-0-73150500-1339068604_thumb.jpg

See 'The Old Road' in my signature

• RMweb Gold

I live near Aylsham station on the Bure Valley railway, and I took family holidays at Hythe, Kent near the RHDR when I was small . The thought of trying to model 15" gauge has crossed my mind (short trip) but is one of those ideas that massively exceed the number likely to ever get built!

On the other hand, living in rural Berkshire 30 years ago I happened upon what was left of Woodhay station on the old DNSR, explored the remains of the rest of the line and was hooked! I have spent the intervening years collecting appropriate models and research material and hopefully move into my cellar this coming winter to actually start building something!!! (SWMBO states this is subject to me having installed our new kitchen first :nono: )

Where I currently live, it's now a tram stop. And it used to be a fairly unappealing suburban station with two massive sprawling goods yards on either side of the main line. Not really my thing. As for the two on either side, one is/was very similar and t'other, in its glory days, would need an aircraft hanger to do it justice even in 4mm. The next nearest station (on another line) was closed about 1931 and little prototype info survives.

Whereas where I used to live, I'd be spoilt for choice, but all the stations in the area would need a huge amount of space.

So the answer is probably no.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend and I have modelled my local station, which closed in 1968, along with the nearby engine shed, which closed in the early 90's. This layout was contemplated for many years before construction started 3 years ago. Although we built it, it was only possible with the help and support of our local model railway club. The layout itself has been foreshortened to 28ft 6ins because the distance between station and shed is actually around 4miles. After construction the layout was dedicated to the clubs founder as he was born and brought up in the town. Attached are a few photos of the layout.

post-9180-0-02133400-1342121557_thumb.jpg

Got a choice really between Derby and Duffield. The downside is that I see quite enough of the former each day on my way to/from work and, with the exception of the assorted delights that occasionally escape the RTC sidings (31s and 37s usually, along with the four wonderful 20s on the LU stock runs), it doesn't really have much going for it stock-wise. Indeed, plastic trains abound.

Duffield does at least have the appeal of being in a more rural location and offers some 'proper' traction courtesy of the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway up to Wirksworth. Still would require a ton of space to do sensibly though.

I think I'll settle with rural Yorkshire...

• 2 months later...

My whole inspiration for returning to modelling was the concept of building Walsall in the pre-Group era. Unfortunately due to space restrictions and changes in circumstances I reconsidered my options. One option was a garden railway but I have more or less rejected this as I would rather spend my hard earned cash on the actual models rather than loads of Building materials! :no2: So then I considered the options of smaller locations. Luckily there are plenty to choose from... Each with their own special merits. Unfortunately non of them are actually in existance but I have narrowed my choice down to three. 'Walsall North' (MR) 'Pleck' (LNWR) and 'James Bridge - Darlaston' (LNWR) So.... What was the question? :mosking:

A friend and I have modelled my local station, which closed in 1968, along with the nearby engine shed, which closed in the early 90's. This layout was contemplated for many years before construction started 3 years ago. Although we built it, it was only possible with the help and support of our local model railway club. The layout itself has been foreshortened to 28ft 6ins because the distance between station and shed is actually around 4miles. After construction the layout was dedicated to the clubs founder as he was born and brought up in the town. Attached are a few photos of the layout.

Fairdoos,

You don't mention the location, but is it perhaps Grangemouth?

Living between Denton and Guide Bridge the choice of either in there heyday would be interesting, it could either of both involving avoiding lines, the only down side is the amount of space required.

But building and operating would be fun, BR(Lms,Lner,Gc)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tivetshall, between Diss and Norwich, was my mum's local station from her birth until 1953, when her family moved to Norwich. It was the junction for the Waveney Valley line to Beccles.

Roydon and Diss Model Railway Society has modelled it in OO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRrpS2xqhww

I started collecting and modelling in N scale years ago some locos and stock for a similar possibility, representing the scene from the late 1940s up to 1953, but realised I didn't have the room at home to do justice for this station.

Well I guess 'Connahs Quay' in North Wales when it had the (freight only?) branchline to Buckley intact and the nearby docks complete with railway would be an excellent prototype. Obviously there would be considerable compromise and imagination used in having the branch both passenger and freight but it would be a great visual model.

If anyone has any plans or pictures please get in touch.

We now live about two miles from Mold and I know and have seen a good model of that station a long while ago, I think it went to the Llangollen railway but I am not sure.

So if anyone remembers that layout and what happened to it?

My local station is/was buckingham. Sadly, not much use now. Even if i go back to the 60's, would be a bit limiting. Couple of railcars running up and down. still, at least you can buy the basis of then now.

Back when i lived at home, it would have been wembly (dull) or ealing broadway, a little further away, but definitely modellable -if you lose some LU platforms.

I'm thinking of using the general outline of Jauche station, moved from Belgium to Lancashire. There were a few factories, including the Danone dairy, recently demolished, in town and others down the line. I would need to flip the dairy to show the sidings and station while leaving the interesting part of the town.

Archived