Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Would you ever model your local station?

Hi

If I built the station where I grew up, East Croydon, I'd need about 60 feet to do it justice plus the fiddle yard(s). It would have to be early 70's though.

Apart from not having the space, it would cost me a fortune for hand built track, point motors and the big one, the amount of stock to run it nearly as close to pro-typical as possible :help:

I supose I could always model Biggleswade, my local now. Although, it would have to be at least 12 feet long for the natural scenic breaks and I'd probably need about the same lenght in total for fiddle yards to accomodate the length of trains.

It's a curiousity that there is a spread of modellers from Lands End to John O Groats. Have any of you ever pondered on modelling the local Railway station or even a previous Branchline station which has now gone or closed completely.

The reason I asked as I was thinking a few days ago, which station was nearest to my house, and it happened my nearest station if it still existed is only a mile away. I then decided to read more into it's history and thought it could be modelled. It's a shame the old Yeovil to Durston Branch closed.

So Anyone ever thought the same or even taken the plunge and actually modelled their local station?

Probably as most people would find, to model with any degree of accuracy my local station would need a large space.

Southminster Station (aka "end of the world" and treated as such by rail industry today) has always been a terminus of a single 16 mile line from Wickford, but it was designed as a through station with a view to extend to Bradwell, which may happen if a replacement nuclar power station is built at Bradwell.

Therefore from buffer stops to furthest sidings, which use to serve a gravel pit and a one time a camping coach, including goods shed, loco shed, turntable etc is about a mile in length - or about 20m at 4mm scale. I also think if you restricted yourself to prototypical locos and rolling stock it would prove a little boring to operate! In 1950s a couple of N-7 0-6-2T on branch passenger and local freight and B-12 on the Saturday through London train. Very (very) occasionally a J-15/J-19/J-17/J-39/J-20 on goods or what ever Stratford could find (including a Tilbury tank!)

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi

If I built the station where I grew up, East Croydon, I'd need about 60 feet to do it justice plus the fiddle yard(s). It would have to be early 70's though.

Apart from not having the space, it would cost me a fortune for hand built track, point motors and the big one, the amount of stock to run it nearly as close to pro-typical as possible :help:

I supose I could always model Biggleswade, my local now. Although, it would have to be at least 12 feet long for the natural scenic breaks and I'd probably need about the same lenght in total for fiddle yards to accomodate the length of trains.

Of course, for Croydon there is Addiscombe station as well, although that has been done (and a lovely about it is too). The station closed a year before I moved to Croydon (East Croydon too -I used to be a batman in the Cricketers for a while, if you know it) but that made me even more interested in it.

Oh, and Coombe Road station, at the foot of Lloyd Park. And wasn't there once a station in Katherine Street Park, opposite the Fairfield Halls, albeit about a century ago?

Of course, for Croydon there is Addiscombe station as well, although that has been done (and a lovely about it is too). The station closed a year before I moved to Croydon (East Croydon too -I used to be a batman in the Cricketers for a while, if you know it) but that made me even more interested in it.

Oh, and Coombe Road station, at the foot of Lloyd Park. And wasn't there once a station in Katherine Street Park, opposite the Fairfield Halls, albeit about a century ago?

Jason

Addiscombe station is now closed and the old Coombe Road Station would be interesting if I decide to model something historical.

I think the other one you're thinking about is the old Surrey Iron Railway that went from Wandsworth to Croydon Old Town. The depot was at what is now Reeves Corner.

This has got to be a very small world, especially as The Cricketers was my local on the odd occasion that I managed to make it back to Croydon on leave.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I've probably served you, if you were in there about 9 years ago when Wayne the Scouser ran it. It went downhill after, so we all started drinking in The Oval instead or, if we were feeling a bit more civilised (not very often :D), The Builders.

Aaah, Croydon. Such a dump but why do I miss it so much? Probably because of the thousands of drunken nights out :D

You probably have served me :drinks:  and I did frequent the Oval and the Builders when it went downhill.

As for the Croydon Central, I suppose it would have helped if I was interested in trains then.

Duncan

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having moved my local station is now Martins Heron (Sponsored by Tescos) which was only built in about 1980.  It is agressively modern.  It is on the line from Waterloo to Reading and there are no books particularly about this area.  The far end is covered by books to Windsor, and the Reading end by books from Reading to Guilford.

Most of the buildings on the line into Reading have been demolished and replaced with modern ones made of tin cans and plastic.  There may be an LSWR one at Earley and the other way Ascot I think is fairly intact.

So, not there would have to be a lot of research to have something for an era I am interested in.  I'll stick with something simple like the Cambrian in 1895.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd love to model Harwich town in the 1980s when we still had the train ferry etc. But the thought of the cost (not to mention building) of a rake of Cartic-4s brings me out in a cold sweat!

My local station would be, I fear, rather complex to model. For a start, there's the GWR station - two rather long platforms and four tracks, complete with a large goods shed and not-inconsiderable MPD nearby. Then there's the Midland station, built directly opposite on a tight curve, not forgetting the street running and the overhead signalbox. Then there's the question of where to stop - do I model the High Orchard branch line, the rail-served docks, Over Junction, the Tuffley Loop, etc., etc.?

Suffice to say I've got nowhere near enough time, money or space to do it...perhaps one day. It would be rather nice to have all of that modelled in its 1930s heyday...

My local railway station is Chandler's Ford about a mile from where I live. It was opened by the LSWR in 1847 and provides a by-pass to Southampton for trains travelling from Salisbury to Eastleigh and on to Portsmouth and Brighton. The station closed to passengers in 1969, but was reopened in 2003. The line remained open to through goods trains during the period it was closed to passengers.  

The current scene would be quite dull comprising a single line and one platform with an hourly service of 2-car Class 158 or 159 trains running between Romsey and Totton via Eastleigh and through freight trains.  Pre-rationalisation in the 1960s, the line was double track and the station had two platforms. A spur line served a large brickworks opened in the 1870s on the south side of the line, but this closed first half of 20th Century. A pre-grouping layout with the spur to the brickworks could make an interesting layout.

post-13142-0-25184400-1383141226.png

post-13142-0-74605200-1383141226.jpg

post-13142-0-23402500-1383141227.png

I would love to model my local station, Norwich Thorpe, particularly how it looked in 60s/70s but even in N it it would be far to large.

I have thought of compressing into a minories style layout for the station with a shrunken engine shed and goods yard. However with this level of compromise it would probably not look like the station that inspired it.

ATB

Nik

Mr Brunel and Eric, (Burgundy),

May I ask where you are so that we know what your local station is please?

My photos are of Flax Bourton, a few miles to the west of Bristol. The buildings illustrated are the second station of 1893 and located a couple of hundred yards west of the original site, which was at the bottom of a deep cutting. The station closed almost exactly 50 years ago.

Best wishes

Eric     

• RMweb Gold

My photos are of Flax Bourton, a few miles to the west of Bristol. The buildings illustrated are the second station of 1893 and located a couple of hundred yards west of the original site, which was at the bottom of a deep cutting. The station closed almost exactly 50 years ago.

Best wishes

Eric     

Eric,

It does look a lovely building and not too disimilar from the Ratio kit although brick and not stone, and it appears possible to scratch build with not too much difficulty. 

Another Pre-Grouping layout?  There is a special section for those now as well.  I assume that being near Bristol it would have had a lot of interesting through traffic.  It seems worth a go.

My local station would be, I fear, rather complex to model. For a start, there's the GWR station - two rather long platforms and four tracks, complete with a large goods shed and not-inconsiderable MPD nearby. Then there's the Midland station, built directly opposite on a tight curve, not forgetting the street running and the overhead signalbox. Then there's the question of where to stop - do I model the High Orchard branch line, the rail-served docks, Over Junction, the Tuffley Loop, etc., etc.?

Suffice to say I've got nowhere near enough time, money or space to do it...perhaps one day. It would be rather nice to have all of that modelled in its 1930s heyday...

I think Llanthony Docks could be a feasible modelling project for part of Gloucester's once fascinating railway scene. There are some excellent colour photographs in the book "West Gloucestershire & Wye Valley Lines" pulished recently by Black Dwarf Lightmoor. SWMBO comes from Gloucester so I know the area very well and remember the days when Eastgate Station and California Crossing were operational. The current set up is dismal and Gloucester's station building must be one of the most uninspiring in the country.

Evening All

So my choices would be:

1) Current home is Sandbach - three platforms, a junction to middlewich branch, 4 track mainline to the south and 2 track mainline to the north with plenty of bridges for scenic breaks, so would run a model of that with the trains listed for Wilmslow below... plus the salt trains to middlewich with clapped out 31's

2) brought up in wilmslow so a model including loops to south and viaduct to north or alderley edge with its carriage sidings to the north and stabling sidings to the south with a diet of 304, 305, 309, 323 emu's on locals, 158s on the welsh marches trains, with cross country 47's HST's and 86's, RFD freightliners with 47's and 86's, and a fridays only class 37 northbound only. I would love to model that as both places have interesting layouts

3) Lived near Manchester oxford rd for a while too so would love to have a 90's upto 2003 model of there using similar trains to above (attempting this in n gauge but nowhere to put it at the minute due to my oo gauge new mills layout - see below). 

4) Lived at Kensington Olympia for 6 months, so 90's NSE would be the choice there

I am however building a compressed version of New Mills Tunnel Junction plus hayfield branch/terminus instead as its a great location, and in an ideal world would love to model Consall and or Leekbrook Junction on the Churnet Valley line for their scenic beauty.

Mike

Eric,

It does look a lovely building and not too disimilar from the Ratio kit although brick and not stone, and it appears possible to scratch build with not too much difficulty. 

Another Pre-Grouping layout?  There is a special section for those now as well.  I assume that being near Bristol it would have had a lot of interesting through traffic.  It seems worth a go.

Chris

Not really my scene - the present station was only opened after the removal of the broad gauge. However, the most interesting period for Flax Bourton would probably have been when the fuel storage facility was open with its rail connection. This view shows the line swinging off to the right.

post-9472-0-22496700-1383437895_thumb.jpg

Of course, I understand that the area has had a bit of a problem with damp over the years, which might also make for an interesting modelling challenge. Looking the other way, the site of the station is just visible in the distance.

post-9472-0-96400800-1383437824_thumb.jpg   

Pictures taken November last year.

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Gold

Chris

Not really my scene - the present station was only opened after the removal of the broad gauge. However, the most interesting period for Flax Bourton would probably have been when the fuel storage facility was open with its rail connection. This view shows the line swinging off to the right.

attachicon.gif21 Nov 08.JPG

Of course, I understand that the area has had a bit of a problem with damp over the years, which might also make for an interesting modelling challenge. Looking the other way, the site of the station is just visible in the distance.

attachicon.gif21 Nov 09.JPG   

Pictures taken November last year.

Best wishes

Eric

Eric,

Thanks for your reply and very intersting pictures.

Archived