Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Would you ever model your local station?

Yes i was very tempted to model Harrogate Station pre mid 80`s but dont think 21` length would do it full justice maybe 40` length lol

on the google map station is in yellow and had 2 signal boxes the southend box went years ago when they took out the Otley, ilkley line which was filled in for car park space. station has 2 platforms and had 2 (now only 1 ) center pass / over night park lines. At the bottom of the station building is a built shunter shed which use to cover the goods depot marked in blue which is now an asda store, there was coal chutes, can still see chute walls, goods sheds for frieght and other businesses, all went mid 80`s. from here the lines split down to the orange circle marked as use to be a shell fuel terminal from the 30`s to 80`s which use to supply some of lancashire but all yorkshire and north east with fuel from late 30`s to mid 70`s until bigger refineries came into play etc, the pink is what was the fuel underground storage tanks which were put in just before WW II.

Plus just down the road at starbeck was 2 lots of engine sheds, 1 small and 1 larger service shed with turntables and attached to a big steel plant, which has all gone and now is a retail park. the whole section is duel run from original canterlever signals and modern day red/green lights, apart from the lights, all is lever operated at Harrogate, Starbeck, Knaresborough signal boxes. you can still the working point/signal rodding in 2nd pic of Harrogate signal box.

cheers ken.

attachicon.gifHarrogate station + goods.jpg

attachicon.gifHarrogate signal box.jpg

edit: extra info

Heading south out of Harrogate towards Leeds is Crimple Viaduct which at pannel end split tunnel towards whetherby and right 1 of the sharpish rail bends in the uk which also starts to descend to Pannel station. Also between crimple viaduct and Harrogate main station at the newer hornbeam park station, is another tunnel that lead to Harrogates underground Brunswick station, which without going to re-read the plague think opened 1904 -1908 no idea how 1 would model that ?? lol

Ahhh Harrogate. That place brings back fond memories of trips to the NRM at York, in a 108 then later a 141 of course. Wasn't too keen on the Modernisation Plan type ticket hall though, too much glass and concrete.  My grandparents lived in Harrogate for many years so I have a family connection with the place.

My local station would take up too much room as well. Shoreham-by-Sea on the West Coastway, with two 12 coach platforms and two level crossings. I would of course model it in the late 70s/early 80s when you had  a couple of loco hauled trains each day, the odd goods train now and then and two signal boxes. and the original Down platform. The Mocatta building has been modified for the ticket gates but there's still enough of it to be recognisable. IIRC it's one of the very few single storey buildings of that style in the area, Portslade Up platform being the only one i can think of. Although it's not the original from the line's opening. If I modelled the 80s I'd have the disused sidings on the Upo side of Eastern Avenue crossing and the abandoned goods yard rather than the horrid shed/shop that's there now.

Trouble is it'd take up about 30 feet with no scenic breaks and you can't get 4CIG/BIG stock so the service would have to be only with a VEP and a CEP.

• 2 months later...

Loughborough is my local station for now (it could be Nottingham or Leicester when I move later this year).  However, a strong interest lies with Leicester. (I've mentioned elsewhere I want to build it)  It's largely a history thing as I'd travel from Loughborough to Birmingham throughout the years.  I've mostly experienced HSTs, Meridians, Sprinters and Turbostars, I've never been on a loco-hauled service (as far as I remember).

I also gained an interest in the BR Blue and early sectorisation period at this station too after wanting to run a variety of first-generation DMUs and HSTs in the older liveries (this would have been before my time since I was born in 1988 in Brunei).  So I want operate services from various periods and phases from the mid 80s to 2007.  I was originally going to model East Midlands Trains and CrossCountry services from 2007 onwards but ditched the idea for reasons pertaining to this big thing beginning with "m" (as well as space).

• RMweb Premium

I moved recently and my nearest station (past or present) is now Osmondthorpe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thanoz/4937376728/

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3468725

It was built by the LNER in 1930 and closed in 1960. Unfortunately I don't have room to do it justice even though I own a small amount of stock in N which could have passed through there during the 1950s.

Even if I could imagine Osmondthorpe still open today, the same issues of lack of space, especially running the Rylstone-Hull aggregates, still rears its head.

That stopped me in the end from modelling Cross Gates during the 2003-2004 era, the next station still open eastwards.

• 9 months later...

I had thought of doing Great Malvern, pre-grouping with the Midland Rly Bay platform.
I had 40' to 1" plans etc., plenty of photo's including the original wooden station building, contractors building the line (Ballard) and so on. 

But my nearest station was Malvern Link, at the time.

However, other things got in the way - Family, work etc., and there was no L&NWR content.

Thinking about it, I did look at Winchester Chesil when I lived in Winchester in the late 50's, but somebody else has done that now. 

for me it would be Wakefield, to which i would have 4 options::

- Kirkgate

- Westgate

- Oakenshaw

- Sandal & Agbrigg

Kirkgate: it sits on a triangle so would make an awkward shaped layout, there is the Westgate viaduct for a scenic break but nothing at the other end for the other break. the branch to Westgate would also complicate the layout shape, although modelling it sometime around 50's or 60's give a wide selection of stock.

post-9948-0-79845400-1415131330_thumb.jpg

Westgate: There isnt anything to give a scenic break at both ends, but i feel like that i were going to do Westgate, i would have to do the half a mile long viaduct and the goods yard as well, the bay platforms would give operational interest.

Oakenshaw: opened in 1840 but closed in 1870 because of Kirkgate, it would be very nice to model the North midland sometime during these 30 years, Doncaster road at the north end gives a scenic break but there isnt an overbridge to the south until Walton (about a mile), modelling Oakenshaw would also mean modelling Oakenshaw viaduct with the Barnsley canal running under it.

post-9948-0-78750100-1415131331.jpg

Sandal & Agbrigg: Although just a small commuter station, which only serves Leeds, Doncaster and Sheffield, it also has ECML services running through it, it would have also had services running off the Midland from the south on the junction (is now a footpath).

But overall the one point is that im not as interested in mostly passenger mainline layouts compared with the industrial lines around these stations.

regards, Sam.

• RMweb Premium

My closest station is Davenport, nothing much of interest to model there these days. There was a little more in the past but that would require a longer layout, so the answer is no unfortunately. I'm not far from Stockport though, oh for the time, space, and money...

I would love to model two of the places I have lived. 

Stourbridge Junction and Town Stations complete with Viaduct, Loco Sheds, and Goods Yard would be amazing. Also Kidderminster in it's current state would be brilliant too with both BR and SVR stations.

I used to live in Lostwithiel, that would be a beautiful model, with the river, the old bridge and an attractive town.

And there's my problem, I'm not much interested in just modelling a station, I'd want surrounding landscape and townscape as well, which, with the size of real stations, would add up to far more space than I'll ever have.

But if there's a GW fan out there with much more space and money than me (and a longer future) I'd recommend Lostwithiel.

If I had a large double garage, the guarantee of living until 100 and the proceeds of a bank robbery I'd be seriously tempted.

• RMweb Gold

Even in N scale Redhill staiton would be awkward ot model with its 12 coach long platforms headshunts whihc are still used to the North and the three way junction at the South end.

These days mainly third rail electrics with the FGW dieselservice revesing in the station plus the occassional freight.

Of course back in steam / electric days  there was a shed in the triangle between the Tonbridge and main lines.

No.

My local stations - while I have been modelling - have been Rugby (too big), Tring (thought about it, great operation possibilities but still big), Long Buckby and Ipswich (wrong railway but another with good modelling possibilities).

So I have continued to model a fantasy world, albeit with LNWR foundations.

Barnsley exchange from the harbourhills road bridge at the Sheffield end to the other side of and including Barnsley exchange junction I'll have to bring a couple of road bridges closer to the station for the Wakefield and penistone lines scenic break

it's a slow burning project and I'm taking my time getting all the right information and plans it'll probably be around 5 years or mabe more before im in a position to build it

Brian

Yes, I would, as I'm a 3rd of a mile from Darlington North Road Station, but not in it's current guise, probably in it's NER heyday when you had trains out to Bishop Auckland, Weardale, , Barnard Castle, over Stainmore and out to Saltburn. Heavy mineral trains and passenger workings as well as the traffic to and from Darlington works across the road. It's a really interesting prototype with unusual early buildings including the oldest currently working railway bridge in the world, a goods shed from 1833, a carriage works, a locomotive works, a triangular junction immediately to the west and numerous industrial buildings alongside it. It could also be quite easily scalable too depending on the scenic breaks.

Broadgreen Station, Liverpool, the next station out of Lime Street after Edge Hill.

Syd, my father was for a time a fireman at Edge Hill, local stuff and shunting the gridiron, he took me to 'see' the 'railway' when I was very young, from the bridge I could see Broadgreen in the distance.

The outing was I am sure Mum's idea, for him to spend time with his son, as by this time he was an enginedriver on the tugs, but the outing stuck like glue, and it turned into one of my favourite haunts, next to fishing at Ainsdale, or Whiston.

In the sixties it was mainly DMU and diesel traction, with some steam, but the station was still a four road, three platform original as built affair, although a bit run down, and with racing pigeon baskets stacked around the place, plus sidings which were still in use, it was what I considered a real station.

Today, I see it is a shoe box pretending to be a station, I think the only remaining link to its past is the pedestrian subway under the main lines.

Yes, I would model it, but I have committed to larger project, but just in case you were wondering what it looked like .....

post-11084-0-18774600-1415181409.jpg

post-11084-0-45648500-1415181445_thumb.jpg

post-11084-0-70637200-1415181472_thumb.jpg

I would enjoy building Donabate. Bachmann already make the signal box (handy). It's a small double track outer suburban station. Couple of sidings still in use in the 70's. Good selection of trains including terminating suburban trains, stopping services to Drogheda, Enterprise expresses to Belfast, mixed freights and liner trains. Mostly loco hauled services but also push pull enterprise and suburban services. Backdate a few years for GNR railcars and mahogany coaches hauled by sky blue 4-4-0 tender locos.

; )

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Yes I've thought about a model in 4mm scale of Beverley station, but it works out just too large for me - if I had a lottery win it would be the complete line from Beverley to Market Weighton, which at some twelve miles long would be positively huge! I like to dream...

All the best,

Market65.

Barnsley exchange from the harbourhills road bridge at the Sheffield end to the other side of and including Barnsley exchange junction I'll have to bring a couple of road bridges closer to the station for the Wakefield and penistone lines scenic break

it's a slow burning project and I'm taking my time getting all the right information and plans it'll probably be around 5 years or mabe more before im in a position to build it

Brian

Depending on the period,how about modelling three figures in cricket whites getting on a train - Geoff Boycott, Dickie Bird and Michael Parkinson!

Whilst my local station is very close in that I can still hear trains rattling through it all day, and I spent many a hour on the platform as a child, even being terrified one by a loud snorting monster, which must have been one of the last steam workings as I moved hear in 1966 supposedly after the end of western steam

No I wouldn't model it

on the plus side it has nice scenic breaks with No 1 tunnel cutting at one end and No 2 tunnel at the other

But the off putting part is just a up and down tracks and 99% of trains belt through non stop

The only excitement I could model if I was mad I to build my westward kit of the streamlined railcars set on fire in the tunnel mouth of No 2 tunnel,but then I would have to close the tracks and not run any trains,,,, great

O! And if you haven't got it

St Anne's Park Bristol

This is my local station Belem do Para in north Brasil, it does not look so very exciting. The locos were all from Baldwins I do believe. I know of one bar framed 2-6-0 on a plinth a few towns away, and a bogie carriage within the town itself. It was metre gauge and ran almost to the coast, which was its original aim. I have seen better picture but unfortunately I have not got any of them. The only part left now is the water tower. Where the train is and the station in the back ground is one of the major routes heading to the only road out of the city. Just down the road is a sign that always makes me smile, It says 2080Km to Brasilia. Not the sort of distance you can get in the UK.

post-13601-0-28388400-1416264309.jpg

Archived