Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Stewarts Lane 'Electric Loco. Shed'

Shedmaster

Just caught up with this...I don't know how you could NOT use that shed, I couldn't, it is superb. It looks like someone photoshopped the real thing........

As for the guilllotine, it seems to have gone?

Are they still available? I found others  but would like to buy from the "right place".

Hi,

Just a quick update to show some progress here...

post-7088-0-24510100-1422840503_thumb.jpg

This is the rear 'side' of the Crane Bay :

post-7088-0-04116400-1422840514.jpg

As far as I can tell, the dimensions are spot on, the horizontal I-beams being set prototypically at 6' 2" from the floor, or 24.667mm rounded up !

The yellow crane tool stand and buffer stops will fit exactly in their correct position in line with the second I-beam from rear....

Because of it's size and the size of the plasticard sheets that I'm using, I have opted for the 'modular' approach.

I will be making up four 'side' sections of three bay's, as shown, and then join them together with two middle bays to make eight bays on each side.

It doesn't show in the photo but the plasticard sheets are the Evergreen type with the indented 'grooves'......representing the cladding 'joins' as seen from inside.

The whole 'process' of making these up is something I'm learning as I go, and the same will apply when I come to the 'front' and 'rear' ends.

If things work out here, and they seem to be at the moment, it shouldn't be long before the asbestos cladding can be fitted and the building given it's identity.

That's all for now,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 8

Hi,

As I seem to have worked out the 'best practice' for assembling the side wall sections, work continues apace...

Here's a pic just to demonstrate the interior walling and the representation of the panel joins......with a real one for reference !

post-7088-0-76504600-1422965839_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-03767500-1422966016.jpg

Okay......back to work, one more module to make and then these remaining three can be fitted out with I-beams and wall sections....

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 6

Good Evening,

Just thought I'd show something that wasn't building related for a change, although that might come later at around 3am when I'm back in from the shed !

For now, I have a picture of the first Loco. to actually receive works attention here at 'The Lane'......that being #98828 'Clan Line'...alright, alright, #35028 :

post-7088-0-59267100-1423429800_thumb.jpg

This example of '28 is the current Margate offering and has been modified a little to remove the toy-like appearance found straight from the shop, although, the model is actually a very good, accurate, representation.

The long wheelbase tender has been swapped out for the incorrect 'short' wheelbase version as this incorporates the more accurate tender top detail and has an empty coal space, i.e.....no moulded coal here so I can fill it with the real thing. This is a safe compromise as it would normally be the 'face' of the Loco. that is photographed and so the tender shortcoming can be 'overlooked' for now.

The motion, buffers and drawgear have been picked out in silver and the wheels polished. I'm not keen on the factory applied 'tint' to the motion on many models now, I prefer the silvered look as per the real thing, which I believe the volunteer crews work very hard to achieve and maintain.

The front bogie has had 4mm of metal 'disc cut' away, which is the bit that the tension lock coupler originally screwed to. A scale tension lock coupling has been fitted to the front, air, vacuum and steam pipes will follow, along with cylinder drain cocks.

The gold paint pen has been busy, lining in the window frames, the front lamp casings, the centre wheelset motion pin and the tender spyglass surrounds.

Finally, I'm not keen on the red backed nameplates and prefer the black version instead. The nameplates have therefore been prepared for replacement black versions to be fitted at a later date.

All I need now is the current 'yellow' OHLE warning stickers and a 'BRITISH PULLMAN' headboard for the front, along with two white route discs, so any suggestion here would be most welcome ?

Many Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Good afternoon,

I'm now able to post a couple of progress pics, delayed due to an uploading issue....sorry for deleting the test post and cancelling off the 'likes' etc.

Many Thanks to Andy Y for helping with this......

So..............

Surprise, surprise, I failed my practice attempt at the ELS building sidewalls as they came out warped and too flimsy once glued together. The plan is that the building must withstand being plugged in and out for transit.

I went back to the drawing board and decided on the pre-formed approach, whereby the main side and roof girders would be laser cut and then faced with laser cut side and roof panels, sized from measurements taken on site visits.

Thanks to some valuable help with the CAD work, the side and roof girders were laser cut from 3mm white acrylic, to the correct roof pitch...

post-7088-0-95160800-1426256093_thumb.jpg

I then specified two roof panels with window cut outs and two side wall panels with window cut outs, to be laser cut from 2mm clear acrylic...

post-7088-0-03834900-1426256184_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-11386900-1426256296_thumb.jpg

This structure has gone together very, very well and is super strong, although I wouldnt' want to be dropping this and shattering the acrylic panels !

There are various careless splashes of glue that you can see, however, these will all be covered anyway with the cladding sheets and paintwork etc.

This technique will now be used for the rest of the building, where the girders will be laser cut along with the roofs and sides for strength and accuracy.

That's all for now,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 12

Nice Shed, Mr Shedmaster. You will have your project finished long before me the way you are going! Good work Sir.

Don't you just love laser cutting?!!

Hi Mr G,

Thanks for your post, although I was actually going to PM you and ask you to take a few years off from your project, so that I could catch up !

I've fallen way behind because of the floor not going right perfectly but feel this says a lot about my personality.........either I have OCD for perfection or I am just a very committed kinda guy ? lol's....

Anyways, I do feel that I'm making progress now finally...........and yes, laser cutting is definitely my new best friend ! 

I went back and tried to do my own CAD drawings as I have an interest in this, but even with the instruction manual next to me............it didn't work out !

I'm able to work in VISIO but that's as far as I can understand.

My next step now is to draw up the ends of the building and either have them laser cut or do it myself from 2mm HIPS ( Plasticard ).

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster

Seems a shame to put the cladding on and hide all that impressive structure

I'd have to agree......the cladding will hide all of my 'perfectly straight' and 'perfectly true' lines and corners, and after all the effort to make them just so ! :no:

Of all things, it did cross my mind to just build the thing in clear Perspex as some architectural models are, but thought better of it.

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Absolutely superb Shedmaster, the attention to detail is fantastic.

I like the shed structure idea, it will give it so much strength, but still looks superb at the same time.

Look forward to more as it progresses

Jinty ;-)

Just do one side and leave the other unclad to show the internals off ??

Hi,

I've looked at this whole idea of how to make it work visually, my inspiration being 'Worcester Road', but without simply copying the way that was done, looking through the whole side of the building.

I love to see architectural models and especially the illuminated Perspex ones, as they are so clinical, but this wouldn't be appropriate for displaying my stock.

So, I'll be doing this where the building will feature as much internal detail as I can get in and to see inside, I will be leaving a section in the middle 'open', possibly the piece directly behind the crane bay building, to be confirmed. One side of the roof apex will remain in place above the workshops but not the other or the side wall nearest the viewing side. This will allow the inside to be seen normally but also a camera can be placed inside for the all important 'staged' photo's. The main girders will be laser cut but modified where the building is left 'open'....

....that's the plan anyway.

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi, Good Morning.....

It's fair to say I had some proper playtime with the layout yesterday, with two Class 33's and a 58 shuttling around with some engineers stock, including the star of the show......a brand new twin jib crane which is currently being built, but alas, no photo's..... :D

The whole lot was looking pretty good, however, lacking one small detail..........the main BUILDING !

Never mind, this is most definitely in hand with the arrival of the main girder frames :

post-7088-0-80286700-1429175724_thumb.jpg

There are eighteen of these required, although I added two extra to the order for practising etc.

I had a brainwave whilst browsing the 'Boxenby depot' thread, in that for the horizontal 'I' beams, I would have the shape cut out for these to pass through the legs of each frame, thus being perfectly straight and level ! You'll see four of these in each of the frames pictured.

Small details to note are the fact that the lower left 'I' shape is HIGHER than the lower right one, this is because on the real building this is done to take account of the doorways for the workshops etc. Also, I have added the corner supports at the top of each leg to represent the prototype, without having to cut and add these later individually !

When this girder frame 'cage' is all together and sitting as intended, this will be braced together in the same way as the crane bay, with acrylic sheet side and roof panels faced with corrugated asbestos sheet, with internal walls and details added afterwards........well......that's the plan.

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 9

Looking good to me that sound like a very clever plan

David

Hi,

It looks like this is going to work out after all....

I have managed to put three 'bays' together this evening, which go from the top of the red stairs across to the 'yellow painted' bay seen here...

post-7088-0-62623300-1429312684_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-68401100-1429312653_thumb.jpg

This has just been a fairly simple job to plug the tops and bottom girders into the holes and glue them, before adding the next main girder.

It's going to be a long building but when the sides and roofs go on, this should brace it all together perfectly.

That's all for now,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 17

Hi All,

Just a quick update on 'Clan Line' before I get back to the main 'entertainment' of the evening...

Black backed nameplates have now been prepared and fitted :

post-7088-0-28176300-1429378933_thumb.jpg

...and I've also gone to the trouble of 'allocating' to Stew. Lane with etched '73A' plaques to go with the etched smoke box number plate:

post-7088-0-14707300-1429379021_thumb.jpg

What a shame about that join line along the middle of the boiler though ?

The 'Winged Thistle' is not there for any particular reason, just the spare one I kept back from Manor Lane when we had a 'Deltic' on the books !

Right......hope the shed has cooled down a bit now, as its time to get back out to the girders.

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...

any new updates coming up? it has been a long time since you have posted anything about the layout? Hope all is good...

I had a little question for you, is there any website or page you refer to when researching the british pullman rake? Was hoping to get the basic setup of all the coaches within it.

Hi WCML100,

Thanks for your interest in Stewarts Lane.....

I can say that plenty has been on going here, although no decent posts or pictures simply due to lack of time. I'm currently under orders to have the garden made good for our little boys forthcoming birthday and it's one of those jobs that turned out to be more work than anything else.

Work did shift from the building to the yard track work some time ago. This has now all been laid right up to the two working yard exit signals. Well, working in so far as they are both fixed at red with a built in SPAD protection device, whereby should an errant move attempt to leave the yard, the track is short circuited and the Bachmann dynamis shuts off the track power.

Points are fully working and utilising four COBALT IP DIGITAL Point Motors.

So, currently, I'm cracking on where I can with the building girders for the smaller part of our shed. When these are done, I will then be able to dress the outside with the corrugated asbestos sheet and brickwork etc.

The overall look is really coming together as planned. The front 'face' of the building has been made and is ready for fixing and then it will really start to have its identity and start looking less like a huge collection of expensive laser cut plastic shapes !

Most of the T&RS fleet are currently away 'on assignment' which is real handy as I am able to get on without temptation to 'play' !

I hope to be able to get a running session together in the next few weeks though and will hopefully have some decent photos for posting from that.

That's all for now,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the support....I would love to see more VSOE projects as this seems to only have a limited following? Or does the bespoke nature of the coaches deter people from being interested?

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

I am currently forming a vsoe set as well. As you said there are several modifications needed to each coach. I have managed to figure out which are the best possible coaches for mods. Just a question of getting into it now lol.

Hi,

Talking of 'getting into it', despite no recent running session as planned, I can show some pic's of building progress instead :

The main Electric Loco. Shed building is taking final form now, seen here awaiting its 'L' shaped corner asbestos sheet to finish off the edges :

post-7088-0-82480100-1443473472_thumb.jpg

Inside, the building is coming together perfectly, with the indented panel lines visible representing joins(?) as per the prototype. To orientate you, the white rectangle on the lower left is the red staff access door. The brick wall will sit between the bottom of this door and the bottom of the asbestos cladding.

The girders that extend downwards and lower than the door, so, 'underground' as it were, are where the building 'plugs in' to the layout and is thus removable.

The working main doors are still on the table here, although subject to a possible redesign. Although very pure and bright just now, painting and heavy weathering will eventually set the mood properly :

post-7088-0-65179100-1443473502_thumb.jpg

This next picture was taken as a spatial reference, to compare the model with a certain real picture that I have seen on the internet. (I'm not sure on the copyright rules so won't copy it here.) Although there is lots of detail still to add internally, at this stage I can see that I'm doing something right as far as the size and basic shape are concerned. Although progress is slow, I reckon it is going to be a fair representation in the end, and the ideal home for some of those new Dapol 73's !

post-7088-0-26975400-1443473529_thumb.jpg

That's all for now,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

p.s Littluns party went really well Thanks, and on the only decent summers day this year too !

• Like 6