RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

I agree with Jason on the PLAY PLAY PLAY bit, and why not, we DON'T spend our hard earned money on lovely weathered locos for them to sit on the shelf, they are bought for enjoyment.

Re the Compound, I have one but it not yet had the Andy Pandy bench treatment yet as I haven't got a bench. My other mate Jeff has it sitting on his Burton North Layout a the moment but it really is a cracker. Just needs the Crew, Coal, Pipes, Tools and SH1T to make it look like a workhorse.

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Here's the state of play after 75 minutes scribing. I've had enough for now. More later!!

post-13778-0-34529900-1381505586_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-51459800-1381505590_thumb.jpg

I've struggled to make the stone pieces any smaller. Bearing in mind that the longest dimension is about 6.4cm, making the stones any smaller causes the clay to break off. I'm hoping it'll look ok when it's had a few acrylic washes.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's the state of play after 75 minutes scribing. I've had enough for now. More later!!

attachicon.gif100_4347.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4348.JPG

I've struggled to make the stone pieces any smaller. Bearing in mind that the longest dimension is about 6.4cm, making the stones any smaller causes the clay to break off. I'm hoping it'll look ok when it's had a few acrylic washes.

Jeff

Jeff,

That looks good.  What did you use to scibe it?

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

That looks good.  What did you use to scibe it?

Chris, I used a standard Swann-Morton scalpel. One reason why I'm having a break.... Using the point and gripping the end of the scalpel is hard on the fingers. But it does give quite reasonable control.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Chris, I used a standard Swann-Morton scalpel. One reason why I'm having a break.... Using the point and gripping the end of the scalpel is hard on the fingers. But it does give quite reasonable control.

Jeff

Jeff,

I probably need to look at my scalpel blades as mine do not look beefy enough to do that sort of work.

Umm, modellers finger.  You probably need some muscle relaxant, Abbots is good or for this Bishops Finger is probably the best.

Hi Jeff and all,

Catching up and loving the wide array of topics on this thread from dilapidated cottages to Jubilee's - bleeding marvellous

It was 45629 which started it all for me way back when, happy days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and all,

Catching up and loving the wide array of topics on this thread from dilapidated cottages to Jubilee's - bleeding marvellous

I had to look that Jubilee up, Mike. Must admit, I'd never heard of "Straits Settlements" - a very unusual name. Would you care to enlighten us?

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I had to look that Jubilee up, Mike. Must admit, I'd never heard of "Straits Settlements" - a very unusual name. Would you care to enlighten us?

Jeff

The 'straits' in question is the Strait of Johore which separates Singapore Island from the mainland of Malaya and the 'settlements' in question were the three on either side of the straight, including at one time Singapore (which, when I looked it up, rather to my surprise in fact ceased to be one back in the 1860s - I thought it was always one until independence).

• RMweb Premium

You are going to hate me (even more.... :D) but the walls on the cottage look too rounded. Can you sand/ file it back a bit to get them squarer? As the mortar courses are pretty deep looking, it should work fine.

I feel like an arse saying it, but you know wha I mean.

Sorry Jeff. Hope I am still invited to come and play trains :)

• Like 2

I am looking forward to see how you do the inside Jeff, will it have a nice little fire place,

BTW Jason is right I have just had a re look at the couple of Barn Pics I have and they have sharp corners.

Now I know you will rush over to F/Y and slate off my walling, hahhaahhaa

All the best mate.

Bodgit :sungum: as I do :O

Sounds like that's another Jubilee to add to the NEVER ENDING list of whats.

Bodgit :sungum:

P.S. Blame Rob, he started this, hahahhahha :no:

I have no knowledge of the alleged incident.

But Jeff you can sleep easily, I'm back to rebuilt Bulleids now, then the Clan, then the T9...   The Clan on something like Ais Gill will be nice, the trick is think of an angle which shows the phenomenal detail on the model, as well as the perfectly-proportioned abandoned crofter's hut on the hill behind.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff and all,

I think I could do a picture of that engine, I have a photo of it in c1960 carrying 'The Waverley' headboard, at Leeds Holbeck, before A3s took over on this turn.  Of course is will be about 20 years hence, when Jeff 'finishes' KL....

I'm trying to avoid any more loco buying for a couple of months.

Always nice to anticipate - too easy to just go out and get something "on a whim"!!

Jeff

I dunno, that spare room I have here is lined with 'whims'.  My theory is that when I'm old an poor I sell one or two a week to double my disposable...   In the meantime I photograph them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I tried to post this last night at around 11pm - just as the site went offline for me (did others suffer a disruption?).

I've rubbed the walls down with sandpaper and added a bit of extra claty to straighten out the bottom corners. Don't know how well it will adhere, once dry!

post-13778-0-68052800-1381555864_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-32632500-1381555869_thumb.jpg

Any bowing will now be attributed to the natural decay of the structure - especially in the absence of proper roof supports! It's also a very small structure (64mm x 48mm), so internal scribing will be rudimentary, to say the least.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks a lot better, much squarer and less 'smurf house' :). I wouldn't worry too much about the inside; some rudimentary scribing will be all you need; with the rest you can tell people that it was owned by a posh shepherd who slapped on some rough plaster of some kind.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thread INDEX updated to page 348 (September 23).

This took ages and wasn't helped by the site crashing off in the middle of the job.

If you spot any obvious mistakes, please let me know!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here are 4 more photos for the Lunester masochists among you. The cross beam is sat in position - it needs glueing - and a few additional joists will be added later (then a very few "slates" on the top)...

post-13778-0-76671800-1381590213_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-50480600-1381590218_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-93790800-1381590222_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-72789500-1381590227_thumb.jpg

Total scribing time was about 3 hours. I really like this method for buildings, and I'm considering doing the station buildings this way. However, it takes a lot of time!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 5

Total scribing time was about 3 hours. I really like this method for buildings, and I'm considering doint the station buildings this way. However, it takes a lot of time!

Jeff

That's what it's all about Jeff! It amazes me sometimes how many people lavish so much time and attention on their locomotives and rolling stock getting them just right then treat the buildings almost as an afterthought. And yet they and the scenery are every bit as important for setting the scene and quality of the layout. A bit of care and attention in that direction, especially in painting, reaps great rewards so take as long as it needs. Patience (and strong coffee!) goes a long way!

Andy

Have a look at Paul Claxton's railway photography on www.railpictorial.com . I think Paul must have photographed just about every Jubilee at one time or another together with some great work on the S&C! A feast for the eyes par excellence!

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

That's what it's all about Jeff! It amazes me sometimes how many people lavish so much time and attention on their locomotives and rolling stock getting them just right then treat the buildings almost as an afterthought. And yet they and the scenery are every bit as important for setting the scene and quality of the layout. A bit of care and attention in that direction, especially in painting, reaps great rewards so take as long as it needs. Patience (and strong coffee!) goes a long way!

Andy

Have a look at Paul Claxton's railway photography on www.railpictorial.com . I think Paul must have photographed just about every Jubilee at one time or another together with some great work on the S&C! A feast for the eyes par excellence!

Regards

Bill

Couldn't agree more, Bill. I love the scenery side of things. For me, the context of the railway is more important than the locos travelling along it. If the surroundings didn't matter we might as well stick to running our trains on  glorified ovals of track. 

I've enjoyed making that little building and I'll "roof" and paint it over the next few days. Depending on the stone structure of the main station building, I'd certainly like to build it with this method. Aside from the tedium of scribing, the method is very forgiving as you can always rub down, re-clay and start again, once you've built the framework. I'd never consider brickwork in 4mm, it'd be a bit small. Here's a pic of my prototype - Kirkby Stephen....

post-13778-0-27686600-1381596191_thumb.jpg

The stonework may be do-able if I scribe it over-scale. The alternative I was going to use is the Slaters 7mm sheet, as used on the viaduct and bridges. So over-scale might not be too bad. Anyway, that's for the future.

Jeff

• Like 1