Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I would support 3mm.   I roll it out on a sheet of glass using an aerosol can.  (SWMBO won't let me use the rolling pin and if I did It might come into violent contact with the back of my head.)

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

Yes, you are in the right ball park, Chris. A couple of mm is sufficient - it's more of a "feel" thing as it's applied to the surface. The key element is to cover the ply with PVA before the DAS is smeared on. I'm sure you knew that!!

Jeff

Jeff,

Er, no not then.  I did make it stick on though by pressing it round the openings and edges.  It was having to be done and finished, for me, fairly quickly as my son needed them for props in a film he was making.  I bought a cheap rolling pin to roll the DAS out as the hobbit house was 200 x100 and I just wraped it all the way round.  Great fun if not 'finescale'.  I then emulsioned it before scribing square stones to give the mortar a worn look.

Back now to building coaches and cottages and painting figures.

Hi Jeff, That building looks like a posh des res to me, very square and upright, no sagging lintle, if they had such a thing in them there days, and no corners broken away with subsidance / weather fatigue.

Will the roof be open or beamed?

Bodgit :sungum:  

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, That building looks like a posh des res to me, very square and upright, no sagging lintle, if they had such a thing in them there days, and no corners broken away with subsidance / weather fatigue.

Will the roof be open or beamed?

The roof will be open, but I will fit a few roofing joists and even fewer "slate" tiles onto them. I'm going to use plastikard and old Christmas cards for the two things. However, since it's mostly open I'll have to DAS the inside and give at least the semblance of interior stone walls.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Can't wait to see the finished article.

I've actually bought some DAS, though I haven't done anything with it yet, to be honest, I'm not sure what structures there are left for which I could use it, but I want to have a go with it.

I agree with Jason about the quoins, far too posh :D

If you'll forgive me, I also agree with Bodgit, it looks a bit too square and precise (although you could address that with the DAS covering to a certain extent), but I wouldn't expect the walls to be vertical - more likely to be bowed out a bit at the bottom, and a bit uneven. I would even suggest going so far as to having a bit of one of the gable ends missing.

All that said, It's great to see you modelling again, and I really don't want to appear too critical, as it will look fantastic, I'm sure.

Good stuff Jeff.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Al. The "look" of the thing will evolve as the DAS is applied and scribed. Surprisingly, having looked at a lot of photos, derelict structures usually retain their squareness, though they may have bits of the walls missing. The latter is easily addressed with a craft knife - cutting a few bits off the ply before the clay goes on.

I don't want to make it too rundown - the lack of roofing should be sufficient to give the idea.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If you can why not try doing it with the roof collapsed into the middle of the structure. Have a bit of the side wall missing and some bits of broken matchsticks (you can get some that are 300mm long) to act as broken trusses (whittled away around the breaks). with the rest of the slates etc piled inside...

Oh and BTW try parcel to go website. Sending stuff with them is sooo much cheaper than using the royal mail (they are going to have to face upto it now!) and they can pick up from your house too!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you can why not try doing it with the roof collapsed into the middle of the structure. Have a bit of the side wall missing and some bits of broken matchsticks (you can get some that are 300mm long) to act as broken trusses (whittled away around the breaks). with the rest of the slates etc piled inside...

Oh and BTW try parcel to go website. Sending stuff with them is sooo much cheaper than using the royal mail (they are going to have to face upto it now!) and they can pick up from your house too!

Andy G

Thanks Andy.

Bit late to follow some of your advice on this one - see the next post... However, it doesn't stop me making another at some stage.

Nice to hear from you - you've obviously been working long shifts or we've not been looking at the same threads.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I meant to post these pics - taken yesterday evening - of the clay-covered ply.

post-13778-0-92921500-1381389054_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-33369900-1381389060_thumb.jpg

The DAS is 2-3mm thick on the outside and about 2mm on the inside. It results in quite deep window recesses, which will look good. The natural variation in thickness also provides irregularity of stone depth, though the whole thing will be sanded down before scribing to square it up a bit more.

This depth of clay may take until tomorrow to dry right through.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been lurking a bit, there's not been much to comment on here for a while, has there Jeff? ;-}

You''ll need to bury it into the ground a bit to disguise the rounded bits at the bottom of the walls....

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I meant to post these pics - taken yesterday evening - of the clay-covered ply.

attachicon.gif100_4337.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4338.JPG

The DAS is 2-3mm thick on the outside and about 2mm on the inside. It results in quite deep window recesses, which will look good. The natural variation in thickness also provides irregularity of stone depth, though the whole thing will be sanded down before scribing to square it up a bit more.

This depth of clay may take until tomorrow to dry right through.

Jeff

Is that before or after you put it in the oven Jeff?  (sorry couldn't resist it :jester: )

• RMweb Premium

Is that before or after you put it in the oven Jeff?  (sorry couldn't resist it :jester: )

I'll let you off - this time!!!

I've been lurking a bit, there's not been much to comment on here for a while, has there Jeff? ;-}

You''ll need to bury it into the ground a bit to disguise the rounded bits at the bottom of the walls....

Andy G

Yes, it'll be buried.... The walls will be straighter when it's sanded down. It's quite difficult applying DAS onto PVA on an item of that size. I just wish it'd dry quicker - and no, it's not going in the oven!

As for things on here - I could probably do with a longer break (2 months?), but it's not allowed. Have to keep going!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

I think it looks good.  I did a row of terraced cottages along with the hobbit house and the DAS made it look like plastered stone which you get in some places, well at least down south and maybe op north.  Once it is scribed it will give it the right feel.  I agree with you, in that although some structures appear to be falling apart, others seem just to have lost the roof and seem quite sound.

If you can do as Andy suggestes and put joists inside, unless they are still in the roof.  Also they tend to be full of tall weeds, maybe brambles, well the ones in Wales do.

Have fun.  If you want just to run trains and post pictures of them for a while, why not?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I think it looks good.  I did a row of terraced cottages along with the hobbit house and the DAS made it look like plastered stone which you get in some places, well at least down south and maybe op north.  Once it is scribed it will give it the right feel.  I agree with you, in that although some structures appear to be falling apart, others seem just to have lost the roof and seem quite sound.

If you can do as Andy suggestes and put joists inside, unless they are still in the roof.  Also they tend to be full of tall weeds, maybe brambles, well the ones in Wales do.

Have fun.  If you want just to run trains and post pictures of them for a while, why not?

Evening Chris.

The DAS has now been in place for 24 hours but isn't completely dried through. My previous use of DAS has been thinner strips, so it's not surprising. The structure actually looks quite reasonable and I'm looking forward to the scribing.

I've not been in the bunker for a couple of days. I will have some train photos (not locos) to show in a couple of weeks, but that's all I'm saying at the moment!

I think I'll start cutting 3mm ply strips tomorrow - these will be used as the skeleton of the platforms.

Thanks for your support.

Jeff

Hey Jeff how about a pic of that 8F poster, mine is still in its tube.

GET SOME TRAINS RUNNING, :O :o :O :o :O :o :O

I am considering a SOUND chip for either my 3F or 4F, I may get one this weekend if there are any at the show.

Gordon Bennett there aren't half a lot of people telling other people what to do!

I haven't even got my new weathered Clan, T9, Q1, Wilton, and several others out of their boxes yet.

In another thread started by Great Northern, about photoshopping, I said I do enhanced images of RTR 00 models and one respondent said my work had nothing to do with modelling.... 

SIGH

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Hey Jeff how about a pic of that 8F poster, mine is still in its tube.

GET SOME TRAINS RUNNING, :O :o :O :o :O :o :O

I am considering a SOUND chip for either my 3F or 4F, I may get one this weekend if there are any at the show.

Good idea Andy - I'll post a pic on here tomorrow. I've also ordered a brass handrail knob for the smokebox of my 8F. The original plastic one went AWOL at some time over the last 6 months!

Sound chipping the 3F and 4F should be ok as I suspect there's plenty of space in the tender - go for it!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gordon Bennett there aren't half a lot of people telling other people what to do!

I haven't even got my new weathered Clan, T9, Q1, Wilton, and several others out of their boxes yet.

In another thread started by Great Northern, about photoshopping, I said I do enhanced images and one respondent said my work had nothing to do with modelling.... 

SIGH

Rob, you must have SO MANY new locos that you just don't know what to do with them! What does Jan think of it all?

I read Gilbert's piece on photoshopping. I'll give you just ONE reason why your images have EVERYTHING to do with modelling. They INSPIRE people to have an interest in the hobby - the locos are such beautiful objects in your images.

I'm not entering the photoshopping of layouts debate - many others have contributed already. 

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Rob, you must have SO MANY new locos that you just don't know what to do with them! What does Jan think of it all?

I read Gilbert's piece on photoshopping. I'll give you just ONE reason why your images have EVERYTHING to do with modelling. They INSPIRE people to have an interest in the hobby - the locos are such beautiful objects in your images.

I'm not entering the photoshopping of layouts debate - plenty of others have contributed already. 

Jeff

No more needs to be said. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Much appreciated, gentlemen.  I may even un-box another weathered 9F I had forgotten about...    actually I forget a lot of things these days, but not the more useless things like casting numbers on 1971 Mini engine heads...

This is the problem with so many locos, I found a box the other day with locos in I had packed ready for the move and there was a Std 4 in there and I couldn't remember buying it.

I actually fancy a sound chip for one of them.

• RMweb Premium

This is the problem with so many locos, I found a box the other day with locos in I had packed ready for the move and there was a Std 4 in there and I couldn't remember buying it.

I actually fancy a sound chip for one of them.

Thing is, no matter how many locos you have, you can ALWAYS find an excuse for more.

Though I model Midland/BR, I really like some of the LNER locos (I've got a few) and I'd like a Castle and some of those MN/BoB Southern locos you keep posting. Just a question of priorities, I suppose (and money).

I haven't got any boxed locos - so no surprises for me....  :cry:  :cry:

Jeff

Thing is, no matter how many locos you have, you can ALWAYS find an excuse for more.

Though I model Midland/BR, I really like some of the LNER locos (I've got a few) and I'd like a Castle and some of those MN/BoB Southern locos you keep posting. Just a question of priorities, I suppose (and money).

I haven't got any boxed locos - so no surprises for me....  :cry:  :cry:

Jeff

Jeff, whats next on he shopping list?

a Super D perhaps?

post-9335-0-29258300-1381446067_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to avoid any more loco buying for a couple of months.

2 x A4s (Great Gathering - Dwight D and Union of SA), 2 x 40s on pre-order (since January)

Jubilee "Victoria" - when Bachmann finally release it

Considering a Compound, though the Super D has featured in my mind on a few occasions

Always nice to anticipate - too easy to just go out and get something "on a whim"!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

No idea whether G2A's worked on the S&C but Carnforth did have one or two allocated and they definitely worked from there to Leeds as I have a photo of one passing Bingley.

As soon as you have platforms there is somewhere for passenger trains to stop. Play time increases greatly. Add in the goods yard and that is it, play time all the time :D

• Like 1