Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Peter - Kolhapur, Jubilee and definitely S&C. I haven't got Kolhapur as a model, but Rob has. Not sure if it's in maroon though.

As Andy is so fond of saying - "You can't have enough Jubilees"... And I think he's right.

Jeff

EDIT - just checked - see post 6619 (page 265) - Kolhapur in green...

Edited by Physicsman

"As Andy is so fond of saying - "You can't have enough Jubilees"... And I think he's right."

And how right he is! That's why I've ordered Bachmann's 'Victoria'. Regular visitor to Low Moor which supplied the motive power for Slitheroe (Rishworth) so possibly made it's way up the branch to head the 'London' portion to Leeds. Which it never did but it's my layout and I'll run what I want!

On a less tenuous S&C link. I just found out today that one of my great-grandsires, one Jack Turner, was a navvy on the S&C. Just don't ask me which bit he built! Cor! I feel all emotional now!

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"As Andy is so fond of saying - "You can't have enough Jubilees"... And I think he's right."

And how right he is! That's why I've ordered Bachmann's 'Victoria'. Regular visitor to Low Moor which supplied the motive power for Slitheroe (Rishworth) so possibly made it's way up the branch to head the 'London' portion to Leeds. Which it never did but it's my layout and I'll run what I want!

On a less tenuous S&C link. I just found out today that one of my great-grandsires, one Jack Turner, was a navvy on the S&C. Just don't ask me which bit he built! Cor! I feel all emotional now!

Bill

Bill, it's on my "to get" list when it's released. Pre-weathered, too - and Bachmann are getting better with the weathering these days.

I don't think Victoria made it to the S&C, but my attitude is the same as yours!

Jeff

Luvly jubbly

Can't decide what to photograph next in my 'new' setting... A Brit, a Scot, a Red un, a Black un, ah, decisions, decisions.

Better practice with a rebuilt Bulleid.

change! stop! edit! Parcel arrived with weathered Clan 72008, and weathered unrebuilt 34041 'Wilton'...

better eat something and listen to music

Edited by robmcg

Hi Jeff

Thats a cracking shot! It's nice to see her looking spick and span! I have a photo of her on Low Moor in her latter days looking the worse for wear (I'll try to find the link for it!). Given her allocation history I think she spent most of her time working Bradford - Manchester and Leeds - Blackpool services but that doesn't preclude her making S&C runs. Anyway, as Andy might say "It's a Jubilee, so go for it!".

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was about time I looked in on here, having just had a scan of a variety of non-S&C layouts.

I'm still on my "sabbatical", but it's likely I'll mark-out and but the 3mm ply formers for the cottage tomorrow. My ply stock all has a slight warp to it, so we'll see how it works out! If it's too warped, I'll go and get some foam-board and try that.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

What about mounting board? Cheap, easy to cut and glue, available from any art shop and most stationers (my latest batch came from The Works).

I have tried foamboard for a building once; didn't get on with it at all as it is a swine to cut to a true 90 degree angle to butt up against other walls, etc.

• RMweb Premium

What about mounting board? Cheap, easy to cut and glue, available from any art shop and most stationers (my latest batch came from The Works).

I have tried foamboard for a building once; didn't get on with it at all as it is a swine to cut to a true 90 degree angle to butt up against other walls, etc.

Yes, not a bad idea. I've just been looking at the dimensions of the ply formers, based on a very rough sketch I made from a photo: 13cm max. Checking my ply, I think over such short distances I'll be ok. If not, I'll be heading in the vicinity of Hobbycraft on Thursday when I go to get the railway mags - so I'll see what they have.

I've decided to keep this simple, to reduce the amount of scribing I have to do. Once it's done and stuck on the hillside it'll probably only get a passing glance anyway!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

A bit more information on 45565 Victoria:

20A                        Holbeck (MR)                                    01/01/1948

56F                         Low Moor                                           23/06/1962

56A                        Wakefield                                           27/02/1965

56F                         Low Moor                                           19/06/65

Withdrawn                                         01/1967

The first allocation indicates that she may have run S&C services in her early days whilst Low Moor puts her on Blackpool-York runs (via Copy Pit as far as Leed’s). Wakefield (at this period) may indicate a period on parcels, secondary and even freight duties.  Her return to Low Moor would possibly see her on Bradford-Leed’s locals, parcels and the seasonal excursions to the coastal resorts. All conjecture of course but reasonable assumptions given her allocations.

Anyway, her location and the headboard in the photo you linked should give you a clue as to the route she took getting there and that’s a good enough excuse for me!

Right! Definitely back on topic! I found this photograph on here: www.railpictorial.com and shows 70048 tackling the climb to Ais Gill summit on the 18 March 1967. I hope you aren't planning to restrict those magnificent Riddles 4-6-2 Mixed Traffic loco's to passenger duties were you young Jeff? (Blimey! I came over all Bodgit for a minute there! :no: )

post-14791-0-23869000-1381251451_thumb.jpg

The site is dedicated to the railway photography of Paul Claxton and run by his brother Mike in his memory. Brilliant work and well worth looking at in depth, including shots of steam working hard on the S&C!  The photographs are downloadable under Creative Commons Licence, but if you do so please consider making a donation to the Trinity House Hospice (link on the site) as requested.

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic post, Bill!

A couple or months ago there was a discussion on the thread about the time period for KL. I decided I'd broaden it from late 50s to the end of steam. So I can justify a wider range of locos - including the 3F. It also allows locos such as Holbeck-shedded Victoria to run on the line. Excellent!

As for the Brits.... I will run some passenger services under Brit power, but running toward the end of the steam era those magnificent beasts were also hauling long freight trains. So, with 8Fs, 9Fs and the like, my Brits will be "doing their freight duty"!!

Off to teach some Chemistry now. Hope to have some interesting posts to read when I return.

Jeff

I agree, the art shop material is better. Having made wooden furniture for years I can confirm that there is no such thing as a straight line in nature. Dunno much about composite building materials, but my current house is cladded with them and they don't rot so easily!

The pic of the Standard 70048, (edit; or Clan which I might 'do' soon) with the smoke causes an issue for me; if I did an edited photo of a model with that smoke, it would be called unrealistic.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I agree, the art shop material is better. Having made wooden furniture for years I can confirm that there is no such thing as a straight line in nature. Dunno much about composite building materials, but my current house is cladded with them and they don't rot so easily!

The pic of the Standard 70048, (edit; or Clan which I might 'do' soon) with the smoke causes an issue for me; if I did an edited photo of a model with that smoke, it would be called unrealistic.

It is quite staggering, isn't it, Rob?

Not back here yet Jeff, :O  hope you haven't blown anybody up this evening. :no:

Bodgey :stinker:

... maybe it's my Chemistry that produced the smoke plume!

Yep, I'm back - just perusing a few threads to see what people are moaning about. "Where are all the Hornby models" seems to be going on and on and on and on.... Bit like KL!!

Jeff

Here is the scale plan of the shell of the derelict cottage I'm going to build...

attachicon.gif100_4332.JPG

Some pics of ply, shortly!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, how long is shortly??

I'm lurking, looking, desperately seeking Susan pics of construction!!

Chip        (The one who has been deprived of pics recently!!)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, how long is shortly??

I'm lurking, looking, desperately seeking Susan pics of construction!!

Chip        (The one who has been deprived of pics recently!!)

Lol!! Shortly is NOW!

3mm ply cut to desired shape with a craft knife:

post-13778-0-61778300-1381321841_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-26934800-1381321846_thumb.jpg

Then glued together with PVA:

post-13778-0-97532700-1381321885_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-74195700-1381321890_thumb.jpg

Absolute accuracy isn't needed - the ply doesn't even have to be square - as the structure will get a coating of DAS when the glue has set. And it's a decrepit, derelict structure so a bit of subsidence could be justified....

Jeff

Edit: £1 coin in the picture to give a sense of scale.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looking lovely Jeff, not sure whether such an austere building would have quoins on the corners though.

p.s. Just dropped something off at the post office and was asked what was in it, pertaining (I imagine) to whether it was paints, etc. I told her and she was happy enough until she saw, scrawled across the bottom, 'Lunester Special Delivery'.

"What does that relate to then, is there something special in this box that I need to know about?" she asked, looking inquisitively at me. "No, I'm just a daft bar-steward" was my reply :D

• Like 1

Lol!! Shortly is NOW!

3mm ply cut to desired shape with a craft knife:

attachicon.gif100_4327.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4328.JPG

Then glued together with PVA:

attachicon.gif100_4333.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4334.JPG

Absolute accuracy isn't needed - the ply doesn't even have to be square - as the structure will get a coating of DAS when the glue has set. And it's a decrepit, derelict structure so a bit of subsidence could be justified....

Jeff

Edit: £1 coin in the picture to give a sense of scale.

Thanks Jeff, I feel much better now!!

That pound coin really does show the scale of the building very well.

Already looking forward to seeing the "stonework" on it.

Excellent work as usual.

Edited by Chipster

• RMweb Premium

Looking lovely Jeff, not sure whether such an austere building would have quoins on the corners though.

p.s. Just dropped something off at the post office and was asked what was in it, pertaining (I imagine) to whether it was paints, etc. I told her and she was happy enough until she saw, scrawled across the bottom, 'Lunester Special Delivery'.

"What does that relate to then, is there something special in this box that I need to know about?" she asked, looking inquisitively at me. "No, I'm just a daft bar-steward" was my reply :D

I think you are right about the quoins. The approximate prototype doesn't have them and I thought of adding them in for a bit of detail. But it'd be easier to omit them and just scribe the random stonework. There had to be one (pound) quoin in the picture, though (sorry!)

I now get asked what's in the parcels I send - they are especially concerned with aerosols. I sent a package to TMC yesterday. The lady behind the counter asked what was in it. I replied "models". She countered with "oh, do they have slim waistlines then?!"

I emailed Hornby about the smokebox knob. It may take a while but they should get back to me.

Jeff

Edit: This is the "prototype", though mine has no chimney or roof and I'll take liberties with the stones!

http://www.leaney.org/photos/2008/20080816zf.jpg

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

It is quite staggering, isn't it, Rob?

... maybe it's my Chemistry that produced the smoke plume!

Jeff

I'm afraid the poor old thing really is staggering, more than a bit by the look of things.  Steam leaking out here there and everywhere although the loco appears to be short of it judging by the exhaust - not a pretty sight for a loco in its last days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The PVA has now dried, so after I've eaten (Madras curry, yum yum) I'll give the structure a rubbing down and a coating of DAS inside and out.

The DAS should be workably dry after about 12-15 hours. At that point (tomorrow evening) I'll start scribing. Should be fun. The beauty of this is that if you mess the DAS up, you simply add a new coating and try again.

A small project, but I've been putting it off for a couple of weeks. Doing this is already starting to re-kindle my interest.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

How thick do you put the DAS on?  When I built some cottages and a Hobbit house in the summer it was probably about 3mm or so.

Yes, you are in the right ball park, Chris. A couple of mm is sufficient - it's more of a "feel" thing as it's applied to the surface. The key element is to cover the ply with PVA before the DAS is smeared on. I'm sure you knew that!!

Jeff