Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Al,

Here are some close-up pics of the 16 tonners for you...

post-13778-0-74421500-1380799494_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-02097600-1380799502_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-85710000-1380799508_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-26280100-1380799516_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-01483800-1380799523_thumb.jpg

I have to admit that I didn't do the weathering. The wagons were sent to TMC and medium/heavy weathering was applied. Sorry to disappoint - I don't have the airbrush, or currently the time and inclination, to do this. I'll concentrate on what I enjoy doing and let someone else do some jobs for me.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at Barry O's weathering thread Jeff - he can do quite a lot on wagons with a drop of black ink (as long as it's the right sort of ink :) ) and it can be quite quick producing a useful result.

Duly noted, Mike. I will have a scan!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the Black 5 pics, Rob. I wanted to see the model "on the table" and it's a finely weathered beast - really looks the part.

There was a time - only a few years ago - when I thought that models should always be pristine beasts and it was a horror to weather them in any way. How times have changed!!

Jeff

There was a time for me too....but there's nothing more delightful, now, than a nicely weathered 9F.....but, like you, I get someone else to nicely do it for me...

Although, as I and others are finding out, I am turning my hand to a few wagons as the fancy takes me - all BarryO's fault   :yes:  he made it look so easy....it's really worth a go, Jeff.

Which reminds me, I have a (Warley) Toad to finish off....among other things...

Polly

Hi Jeff, you don't need an Air Brush to do 16T Minerals, OR any other Steam era Goods stock, these were all done with a 1/4 inch paint brush and Humbrol Enamales, see my articles in RM.

post-9335-0-33351200-1380812790_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-70257300-1380812850_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-90072900-1380812930_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-82097800-1380813366_thumb.jpg

Just wipe the brush almost clean and DRAG down the body sides.

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al,

Here are some close-up pics of the 16 tonners for you...

attachicon.gif100_4278.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4279.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4280.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4281.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4282.JPG

I have to admit that I didn't do the weathering. The wagons were sent to TMC and medium/heavy weathering was applied. Sorry to disappoint - I don't have the airbrush, or currently the time and inclination, to do this. I'll concentrate on what I enjoy doing and let someone else do some jobs for me.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, nice photos.

I am shocked and dismayed to learn that you didn't do them yourself :nono:

...nah, only kidding :jester:

They are very nice though.

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Al.

The reason why I've not tried any of my own weathering isn't because I don't think I could make a reasonable attempt at it (though not as good as an accomplished "weatherer"). It is simply because it's yet ANOTHER job that has to be done - and there are far too many already!

I got back yesterday and I've been in the bunker for, maybe, 2 hours - running a few locos around. I'll be honest here. I look at what I've done in the last year and I'm staggered. But when I think of what is left to do, it's overwhelming. Sometimes the scale of what I'm creating is very intimidating. So I'm rationalising - and certain things have priority.

Right at the moment I'm just having a "play" period. Once I get going on the next projects (derelict shed/paths and more grass/more walling on the other valley side/platforms) my obsessive nature will take over. After 6 months of non-stop I'm having a breather. For those in the know, I'm not going to "do a gordon S". If you don't understand, take a look at the Eastwood Town thread, be impressed and understand what non-stop modelling can do to you - however enjoyable it is!

If I get the chance I'll try a couple of wagons - I've got a number going "spare" as test subjects!

Glad you like the TMC job. My photos don't do some of the wagons justice!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Thanks for the Black 5 pics, Rob. I wanted to see the model "on the table" and it's a finely weathered beast - really looks the part.

There was a time - only a few years ago - when I thought that models should always be pristine beasts and it was a horror to weather them in any way. How times have changed!!

Jeff

Evening Jeff, Thankyou.  BR(W) made a comment about the particular Black 5 in my picture, but it kind of got included in the page architecture, so here it is in reply,  from message on prev. page msg. 8800     

>>You may also have captured the essence of the first days of BR: 45253 was the celebrated machine used in the 1948 'Interchange Trials'. During these rather amateurish, 'scientific'  tests, she produced the highest output recorded for a class 5 of 1283 edbhp storming Wellington Bank (Somerset) with a 440 ton train at 50.5 mph. Why your artwork reminded me of this is that she achieved this impressive feat with regulator wide open at 40 percent cut-off. The fireman's comments aren't recorded...

Sorry for the thread drift.

Cheers,

BR(W).<<

Thankyou BR(W)  I will add this to the caption at some point. I greatly enjoy knowing these things about the engines in my pictures, and that is exactly why I illustrated 45253 with fairly good exhaust...  cold weather on the fells adds to it of course! They wouldn't get that in Somerset. <g>

Jeff the wagons look great, I can imagine lines of boring unrecorded lines of these behind boring unrecorded 4Fs and 3Fs....

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob. I was more than impressed with them. At some stage I will need to sort out materials to fill them all! Looks a bit daft having a train of empty wagons behind a loco!

I've got nearly 40 weathered tank wagons (milk/tar/petrol) - at least those don't need filling!

Btw, I've enjoyed our reminisces on "old" photography....

Jeff

Btw, I've enjoyed our reminisces on "old" photography....

Jeff

The unventilated bedroom/darkroomss are clearly the cause of the mental degradation I suffer.  Or is it the amalgam in my teeth. Or is it the breathing of unleaded petrol....

Hold it. What mental degradation?

• RMweb Premium

Fully understand you on the recharge thing Jeff, I had a break from modelling through the summer to concentrate on making the most of the weather and came back to it feeling invigorated enough to get on with the jobs I was dreading; goods yard surface, water goods, etc. I do mix it up with stuff I enjoy too though as I find I am more motivated that way. Could I build nothing but walls for a month? Not a chance.

P.s. I was up on Blencathra last Friday, around Great Langdale, Borrowdale and Angle Tarn / Rossett Gill on Saturday and Kentmere on Sunday (all on the bike). I did wonder if I would bump into you :)

P.p.s. riding down Rossett Gill was possibly the scariest thing I have ever done, but we (well, two of us and even Tony chickened out of some bits) rode 90% of it. To put it in perspective, it made riding down Blencathra look like a pootle in the park!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Fully understand you on the recharge thing Jeff, I had a break from modelling through the summer to concentrate on making the most of the weather and came back to it feeling invigorated enough to get on with the jobs I was dreading; goods yard surface, water goods, etc. I do mix it up with stuff I enjoy too though as I find I am more motivated that way. Could I build nothing but walls for a month? Not a chance.

P.s. I was up on Blencathra last Friday, around Great Langdale, Borrowdale and Angle Tarn / Rossett Gill on Saturday and Kentmere on Sunday (all on the bike). I did wonder if I would bump into you :)

P.p.s. riding down Rossett Gill was possibly the scariest thing I have ever done, but we (well, two of us and even Tony chickened out of some bits) rode 90% of it. To put it in perspective, it made riding down Blencathra look like a pootle in the park!

I'm assuming you rode down Blease Fell or did you go off down the back (in the direction of Skiddaw?)

I was supposed to be going to Grisedale Pike/Grasmoor and Crag Hill on Saturday but it looks like it'll be the LNER weekend at the NYMR at Grosmont instead.

I love Kentmere - some of the summit cairns are immense and I'm betting you ended up on the top of High Street?

I spent the summer patio building. I enjoyed it but wish I'd done some walking then. Btw, I've decided to buy a bike next spring. I pedal tens of km on my exercise bike getting nowhere, so it's about time to get out a bit.

Must admit I feel VERY mentally jaded, railway-wise, at the moment. Must be all the walling! So a short interlude - and it will be short - may be called for.

Still enjoying the camaraderie, topics and encouragement on KL, the Lounge and the Forum!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Nope, from the top of Sharp Egde down the footpath to Scales Tarn and then followed the stream down from there :)

I was chuffed, never dabbed once (a term I bet Andy remembers from his Enduro days)

Must admit I feel VERY mentally jaded, railway-wise, at the moment. Must be all the walling! So a short interlude - and it will be short - may be called for.

Still enjoying the camaraderie, topics and encouragement on KL, the Lounge and the Forum!

Jeff

Can't take a moment off, Jeff. Still have to get up in the morning...

I think a bit of Brahms Piano is called-for here, in my case at least.  Spring, Mist, rain, weak sunshine,  then I might photograph a weathered 'Sir Keith Park'.

The burdens never cease...   <g>  edit; further in lounge soon

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

We planned to go up onto High Street and then cut over to Nan Bield but the others had to drive back to Surrey so we did a quick loop around Garburn and Green Quarter. I am very tempted to head back over on Sunday.

As for buying a bike, do it. Maybe controversial given the forum we are posting on but bicycles are the best form of transport without a doubt. They are versatile, cheap, fun, get you to places that motorised transport never will and keep you fit. Buy a mountain bike and I will join you for some rides (not down the mad stuff, I promise).

99% of mountain bikers are great people too :)

• RMweb Premium

Nope, from the top of Sharp Egde down the footpath to Scales Tarn and then followed the stream down from there :)

I was chuffed, never dabbed once (a term I bet Andy remembers from his Enduro days)

We planned to go up onto High Street and then cut over to Nan Bield but the others had to drive back to Surrey so we did a quick loop around Garburn and Green Quarter. I am very tempted to head back over on Sunday.

As for buying a bike, do it. Maybe controversial given the forum we are posting on but bicycles are the best form of transport without a doubt. They are versatile, cheap, fun, get you to places that motorised transport never will and keep you fit. Buy a mountain bike and I will join you for some rides (not down the mad stuff, I promise).

99% of mountain bikers are great people too :)

I've been over Sharp Edge a number of times going UP - but cycling DOWN it - did you cycle over the short section of narrow, smooth granite? If so, who's talking about mad?

I do a lot of exercise but you can only hammer a rowing machine and ex bike for so long. I used to run up to 16 miles, but the calf muscles and joints won't take it now! Coming back through the Whinlatter Pass from Buttermere last week I said to my mate, I need a bike so I can do outdoor stuff besides all the hiking/scrambling!

Anyway, all way off thread - but it's my thread, so who cares! Rob, please note...

And Rob, I've just had a bit of Elton John followed by Sibelius - currently playing. As you say, the burdens that we shoulder!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Down the path on the other side, not down the edge itself :)

Down that one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scales_Tarn.JPG

I'm with you - that looks like the path that descends to the tarn from Dodick Fell. Good fun - and I love Blencathra.

I'll keep you posted about the bike - it'll be next year when I get it.

I may have done a bit more (!!) work on KL by then.....

Jeff

Jeff, in talking about edbhp   in relation to the pic of Black 5 45253

from

>>she produced the highest output recorded for a class 5 of 1283 edbhp storming Wellington Bank (Somerset) with a 440 ton train at 50.5 mph<<

EDBHP = estimated drawbar brake horse power  ?  arrived at from lots of mathematics where 1 hp = 550 ft lbs / sec and the grade being 'x' and the trailing load being 'y' and the if rolling resistance is 'a'   does the 440 tons include the engine?  Good question for modern maths kids methinks.

I WAS ONCE QUITE GOOD AT THAT KIND OF THING.   oops now I can't even keep the caps lock off...

The bank is 1 in 38 I think but compensated for curves, so call it 1 in 40  out with Faber Castell slide rule...

is 60mph  88 ft/sec  ?  something like that     so call 50mph 73 ft/sec  up in I in 40 = 1.7 ft   440 tons sec   rolling resistance at least 20%  call it the load lifted 2 ft 440  x 2240 lbs /sec   round figures     oh dear I have missed a decimal point somewhere 0/10  2 million ft lbs / sec  =  'sufficient' horsepower, clearly a Midland engine!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Thanks Andy.

I've got a few spare wagons so, at some stage, I'll give it a go. You said you used enamels.... are they preferable to acrylics?

Jeff

Morning Jeff, those were done with Humbrol Enamel, No 33 Matt Black and 62 Leather or any Brown will do, and a bit of powder on the rusty brown ones, about 3 mins each, please have a go, don't pay a fortune to anyone else,

Bodgit :sungum:

EDIT = I use Acrylics with the Air Brush because of the fumes in my old unventilated Den. It now has more than enough VENTILATION.

Edited by Andrew P

Don't start me off on that one Jason, :no:  I could DAB for England, :O  hahhaha

Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info. Andy. I don't have a copy of your weathering articles, but there's plenty of information online, including this Forum.

When the time comes to have a play, I will read-up on techniques and give it a try.

Jeff