Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff

As promised here is Bill’s Guide to airbrush stuff (Usual disclaimer applies).

post-14791-0-17741400-1353641028_thumb.jpg

This is the Aztec 4709 as it comes, airbrush (centre). Don’t worry about the weird shape, it’s a really comfortable brush to hold. The roller on top at the back allows you to move it from full dual-action to single action. The nozzles (at the top) from left to right cover work from very fine mist (perfect for weathering!) to broad coverage. The black and white nozzles at the end are for acrylics. Others are available. The needles are self-contained in the nozzles so if you need to replace one (rare) they cost around £8 each. The paint cups at the bottom will hold as much paint as you need for the job in hand and simply plug into the side of the airbrush. They fit either side as you prefer with a blanking plug (supplied)in the other side. Cleaning is very simple. When you finish work, fill one of the bottles with thinners (I use common white spirit) and spray it through until it comes out clean. Remove the nozzle, clean the nozzle mounting with a cotton bud soaked in thinners. The red tool at the top left has bits to clean out stubborn paint but its not usually necessary. If you want you can leave the nozzle soaking in thinners for a while to get rid of any last traces of paint without problems because the whole brush is impervious to most solvents including acetone. Written instructions are kept to a minimum, which you’ll appreciate if you are anything like me and manual, with most of the info contained on a DVD which includes a good guide to working with an airbrush. As I mentioned earlier, I bought mine from www.modelexmodelrailways.co.uk and was delivered in three days (excellent!) but it may be worthwhile checking out your local art supply shops quite a few of whom sell Aztec.

post-14791-0-83987100-1353641090_thumb.jpg

The compressor is a Mantua Model AS18-2. It’s an oil-less piston type with air filter, pressure guage and moisture trap. Auto start and stop, i.e it only runs when it’s supplying air to the reservoir (in action it runs for seconds!). Thermal protection and supplies 20-23 litres/second. This one came from Model and Hobby World in Lancaster. Available mail order at www.lancastermodelshop.co.uk but again check around. There are a lot of similar types around. The main thing to look for are the reservoir tank, moisture trap and pressure setting gauge all of which make life much easier. Its also very quiet in action which makes the neighbours happy (my last one sounded like I was about to attack the road with a pneumatic drill! I paid £119 for the compressor (thats about 10 cans of tinned wind as Jason aptly puts it!) and £99.95 for the airbrush.

Finally, the Aztec is supplied with a vinyl air hose which is fine but they do have a fairly short working life so its worth investing in a braided air hose at around £15 (from Model and Hobby World). If you do buy one you will also need a couple of 1/4in BSF to Aztec adaptors (from Eileens Emporium).

It might seem a fair outlay at around £235 for the lot but when you consider my last set of Kolinsky Sable brushes cost me £140 for 6 brushes it does look pretty reasonable. Not to mention the fact that it will last a whole lot longer!

Andy G (uax6)

Don’t get me started on chips! I’m having enough trouble finding 4mm scale newspaper to wrap them in! :)

Allegheny 1600

Sorry about missing the Tull and the superlative Mr. Anderson. Another great favourite together with Family. I'm thinking Jeff should start a music thread in Wheeltappers. Just think of the fun we'd have then!

Regards to all

Bill

• Like 2

I tried to edit this into the last post but it just wouldn't play:

Andy P

I'm hanging my head in shame what with bragging about the Strat to an ex-pro muso and all! In fact I think I'll go hide behind the settee! (That's what I do when the grandaughters arrive!). Actually your mention of Gary Moore is very apt along with Snowy White, both great exponents of the Les Paul. That is next at the top of my list of guitars to own. We don't have a lot here in Morecambe but we do have a truly great music shop in Promenade Music. Who knows, maybe when I sell my next picture? :)

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Morning lads (and ladies, if any should be looking).

John - yes, the thread serves its purpose for the railways stuff (in the last few days we've had scratchbuilds, airbrushing, my ongoing work, 4mm nudes, bridges etc) and also lightens up the day with its humour. Having just signed in, I've been laughing too!

Andy - sorry, I had to wimp out. Peter - yes, I DID actually go to sleep last night - for 6 hours at least.

Bill - many, many thanks for all that splendid info on the airbrush stuff. If you use it as a professional artist then it must be good. I'll take a personal recommendation of a piece of kit far more seriously than hundreds of ads in the press. I think Iwata is the only airbrush brand that's impinged on my conciousness. Give me a while and you'll likely find I get something like this (Aztec). Just trying to sort out the basics at the mo!

And btw, I also have a copy of Tull's wonderful album Aqualung. Haven't played it in years. Must sort that out later!

Time for breakfast. Heater on in the den - a cool morning today.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff

As promised here is Bill’s Guide to airbrush stuff (Usual disclaimer applies).

post-14791-0-17741400-1353641028_thumb.jpg

This is the Aztec 4709 as it comes, airbrush (centre). Don’t worry about the weird shape, it’s a really comfortable brush to hold. The roller on top at the back allows you to move it from full dual-action to single action. The nozzles (at the top) from left to right cover work from very fine mist (perfect for weathering!) to broad coverage. The black and white nozzles at the end are for acrylics. Others are available. The needles are self-contained in the nozzles so if you need to replace one (rare) they cost around £8 each. The paint cups at the bottom will hold as much paint as you need for the job in hand and simply plug into the side of the airbrush. They fit either side as you prefer with a blanking plug (supplied)in the other side. Cleaning is very simple. When you finish work, fill one of the bottles with thinners (I use common white spirit) and spray it through until it comes out clean. Remove the nozzle, clean the nozzle mounting with a cotton bud soaked in thinners. The red tool at the top left has bits to clean out stubborn paint but its not usually necessary. If you want you can leave the nozzle soaking in thinners for a while to get rid of any last traces of paint without problems because the whole brush is impervious to most solvents including acetone. Written instructions are kept to a minimum, which you’ll appreciate if you are anything like me and manual, with most of the info contained on a DVD which includes a good guide to working with an airbrush. As I mentioned earlier, I bought mine from www.modelexmodelrailways.co.uk and was delivered in three days (excellent!) but it may be worthwhile checking out your local art supply shops quite a few of whom sell Aztec.

post-14791-0-83987100-1353641090_thumb.jpg

The compressor is a Mantua Model AS18-2. It’s an oil-less piston type with air filter, pressure guage and moisture trap. Auto start and stop, i.e it only runs when it’s supplying air to the reservoir (in action it runs for seconds!). Thermal protection and supplies 20-23 litres/second. This one came from Model and Hobby World in Lancaster. Available mail order at www.lancastermodelshop.co.uk but again check around. There are a lot of similar types around. The main thing to look for are the reservoir tank, moisture trap and pressure setting gauge all of which make life much easier. Its also very quiet in action which makes the neighbours happy (my last one sounded like I was about to attack the road with a pneumatic drill! I paid £119 for the compressor (thats about 10 cans of tinned wind as Jason aptly puts it!) and £99.95 for the airbrush.

Finally, the Aztec is supplied with a vinyl air hose which is fine but they do have a fairly short working life so its worth investing in a braided air hose at around £15 (from Model and Hobby World). If you do buy one you will also need a couple of 1/4in BSF to Aztec adaptors (from Eileens Emporium).

It might seem a fair outlay at around £235 for the lot but when you consider my last set of Kolinsky Sable brushes cost me £140 for 6 brushes it does look pretty reasonable. Not to mention the fact that it will last a whole lot longer!

Andy G (uax6)

Don’t get me started on chips! I’m having enough trouble finding 4mm scale newspaper to wrap them in! :)

Allegheny 1600

Sorry about missing the Tull and the superlative Mr. Anderson. Another great favourite together with Family. I'm thinking Jeff should start a music thread in Wheeltappers. Just think of the fun we'd have then!

Regards to all

Bill

Thanks for that Bill, as a pro it is a great guide to all of us, I got my kit from Everything Airbrush in Poole Dorset, I get on very well with it, that is I did untill I went to wipe out a semi clogged nozzel the other day and BENT THE END OF THE NEEDLE :scratchhead: . New one on its way. :O

Jeff this thread should be re titled to RAILWAYS AND OTHER INTERESTING TOPICS, :stinker: :stinker: If we are not carfull we will have a full weather forcast as we seem to get updates as to local area weather to justify as excuse to stay indoors to do SOME MORE MODELLING :nono: . BTW it is sunny in Swad :sungum: and I will still be loocked away in my Den untill I require feeding, that will be my elevenzeeees then with a cup of coffee and a nicepiece of Victoria Sponge, HO NO ITS TURNING INTO A DASTARDLEY COOKING BLOG, i had better go before Jeff bans me for good. :triniti:

All the best Andy.

Edited by Andrew P

Not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs, but I've spent the last couple of days flat on my back wiring up the latest section of ET. I found it invaluable to hang a short circuit tester across the main bus wires and that flags up immediately you go to connect a wire to the wrong polarity. With hundreds of red and black wire droppers, it's very easy to connect one to the wrong side of the track and then wire it up to the bus. It's quite comforting to hear the buzzer go as a minute or two tracing at this point will save hours once it's all wired up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extech-Continuity-Tester-Pro-CT20/dp/B000LYTTRK

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 4

Not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs, but I've spent the last couple of days flat on my back wiring up the latest section of ET. I found it invaluable to hang a short circuit tester across the main bus wires and that flags up immediately you go to connect a wire to the wrong polarity. With hundreds of red and black wire droppers, it's very easy to connect one to the wrong side of the track and then wire it up to the bus. It's quite comforting to hear the buzzer go as a minute or two tracing at this point will save hours once it's all wired up.

http://www.amazon.co...0/dp/B000LYTTRK

Thats a brilliant trick Gordon, I will use that on my BIGGIE, when I get to build it.

Cheers Andy, P.S. This is the site for tips and knowledge, well done all.

• RMweb Premium

It's certainly a good read this! In fact I don't go much further about....

The airbrush info was useful, I have a cheap badger one sitting around, which I intend to play with at some point (Although I can't do it at work, and I need a booth at home.) The sleeper was sprayed with rattle cans (BMC Damask Red good old Halfords, useful for something at least!) on the kitchen floor, when SWMBO was out, the windows open and a cardboard box behind to catch the overspray. I warmed the cans up in the bottom oven of the Rayburn so that they flowed nicely.

Spent this afternoon making 10 pillows and 5 beds, need to wait for the nudes to turn up (I hope they look good they are blinking expensive...£2 each! )

Also my ebay win of a feedback panel mount Gaugemaster feedback controller arrived (an early UF with an unmarked front). Hopefully now when I get a transformer I'll be able to try locos out!

How much you got done in the bunker Jeff? I've also found another article that has photos of Hawes station in it for you, will try and do another email session over the weekend.....

Andy (Still offering rayburn produced ash...)

• RMweb Premium

It's certainly a good read this! In fact I don't go much further about....

The airbrush info was useful, I have a cheap badger one sitting around, which I intend to play with at some point (Although I can't do it at work, and I need a booth at home.) The sleeper was sprayed with rattle cans (BMC Damask Red good old Halfords, useful for something at least!) on the kitchen floor, when SWMBO was out, the windows open and a cardboard box behind to catch the overspray. I warmed the cans up in the bottom oven of the Rayburn so that they flowed nicely.

Spent this afternoon making 10 pillows and 5 beds, need to wait for the nudes to turn up (I hope they look good they are blinking expensive...£2 each! )

Also my ebay win of a feedback panel mount Gaugemaster feedback controller arrived (an early UF with an unmarked front). Hopefully now when I get a transformer I'll be able to try locos out!

How much you got done in the bunker Jeff? I've also found another article that has photos of Hawes station in it for you, will try and do another email session over the weekend.....

Andy (Still offering rayburn produced ash...)

I hope there's little chance of those cans exploding, Andy? That said, the cast iron Rayburn would probably be undamaged!

And they are cheap nudes...blimey, only £2 each!! :O Tell me more, not that I go in for that kind of thing! :angel:

Progress in the bunker? Here's a couple of pics showing that one side of the fiddle yard is almost completed...

post-13778-0-90148000-1353694030_thumb.jpg

... and the second pic shows that I now have a complete circuit on the down (outer) line - the FY and viaduct are connected...

post-13778-0-81518500-1353694102_thumb.jpg

Not very exciting photos but, taken day-by-day, show progress. I was going to do some more wiring but I'm reading instead. Having said that, another 20 DPDT switches arrived today, so I can add more switches to the control panel this weekend.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I used the lower oven which is the warming oven, you know, the one where they put new born abandoned lambs to warm up so that they can survive! The temp in the main oven was over 200F wheres the warming oven was about half that. I also only left them in for about 10mins, just long enough that the cap got a little soft, but everything else was ok. Having warm paint does make things a little less globby.

The nudes are on their way from Osbornes Models. (http://www.osbornsmo...s-6-22012-p.asp )I've gone for the nude bathers, sadly there is only three standing, one in an odd pose on her knees (O-err!) and two lying down. I'm sure that I'll be able to use the others in the beds with a blanket over them (3rd class only of course, we don't allow this type of girl in 1st!). Osbornes take paypal (which is fatal) but they are also cheaper than Gaugemaster and have them in stock.

The progress is looking good. I like that shot taken looking across the Viaduct's backside, could you do the shot lower down to show what it looks like from a more real viewing angle please?

How many miles of wire have you used now?

Andy G

Edited by uax6

Hi everyone

Happy to be of service and glad you found the airbrush info useful. That set up replaced three ‘single use’ airbrushes from the likes of Paasche and DeVibliss for various jobs. One of the reasons I changed apart from their use by weathering supremo Mr. Welch was, as Andy P mentions, needles (and other bits, some of which are still lurking in the carpet!). I don’t have the most delicate touch and constant replacements were a very expensive irritant. Given the range of jobs it can handle I think they are an ideal modelling tool. I had a similar sort of experience with camera’s. I like Nikon and used D9’s exclusively for ages, until a pro photographer mate pointed out that the D900 was exactly the same camera internally, the only difference being the materials used for body construction at less than half the price!

Andy G

Did you spot the young lady dancer in the top hat? I’m sorely tempted! Don’t know how she’d fit into a layout based in the West Riding though. Maybe a talent night at the local WI?

Gordon S

Your weathering on that 9F is sublime! I’ve always believed that weathering should be subtle and reflect the real thing and that model nails it to perfection!

Anyway, a serious note now! I fully agree with everyone that this, along with Jason’s Bacup, is the best thread on RMWeb, but has anyone realised that one day Jeff, despite the attentions of the rest of us assorted loonies, is actually going to finish Kirkby Luneside. What then I ask myself? Last night in the wee small hours (I was working, honest Guv! Nothing serious, just keeping body and soul together like!) the answer came. What we should do, I think, is form a working party, go up to Jeff’s and extend his garage for him. That way we can sit back and watch Jeff extend towards Carlisle, safe in the knowledge that the Show Will Go On! Interested parties, please form a queue behind this photograph of a worried physicist peering suspiciously through his letterbox!

And now the weather forecast..............

Regards to all

Bill (I really must start going to bed early....)

• RMweb Premium

Bill you are naughty!

I tell you something, I'm blinking tempted to purchase her too. Not quite sure what I'd do with her, but she might be the one in the carriage, she is, afterall, getting undressed! (but then again she comes to £6 all in, so a bit out of my league!)

It shouldn't be too difficult to get that partition wall down...

But I have a better idea. In the 'tool shed' (aka layout extension room!) he should start building Ballinluig on the Highland.main line. Including the branch off to Aberfieldy. Now that should keep him busy, theres two wonderful viaducts over the Tay and Tummel on the Aberfieldy branch, and then there is all that scenery for him to do.

Oh, and I can bring my stock up for an outing (although he'll have to keep this one proper, ie with NO DCC!)

The weather here is now frosty, gritter has been over the crossing already tonight!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Bill, I think you must have been drinking too much Theakston's. I try my best, but I'm sure there are better threads...Jason's certainly!

Moving swiftly on - what am I going to do in 2 years time when KL is "finished"?

I'm going to: Build a shunting layout, with home-made turnouts, scratchbuilt buildings, weathered locos and everything else I've been persuaded to take-up by "you lot"!!

Or maybe I'll just spend my time watching the trains go by!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

That first one is sublime! Really gets the grey moodiness of the real thing, and also makes you think that it is a typical S&C day, damp! You just need a pair of MR compounds slogging up the grade, with a lovely rake of Bain square and round panelled celerestories....

The second one, sadly, shows the fact that you haven't got the inside of the arch sorted...I hope that isn't going to bug you, when you view it from the front (will you turn into Larry here??)

I hope your pleased?

Andy G

(Editied for cack-handed spellings!)

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Can you get Elgoods Black Dog up north? I'm possibly in for a trip, although 'tis a heck of a journey in a Morris Minor GPO van! At least you'd know when I'd arrived!

Does this mean that I now have to start building up more of my MR stock? I need quite a few MR carriages anyway, but I'm not doing locos, I don't do DCC! (In my dads bookcase there is, plinthed, a MR 3F halfcab built by Frank Roomes (Of Lutton fame) that has been converted from stud contact to 2 rail, it used to run very well indeed, but I'm not going to DCC it!)

Time it right and I'll be able to provide a rake including a dining car...

(BTW has anyone reading this got a copy of Lacy and Dows MR carriages that a drawing could be copied from for me please?).

I think that having visitors for proper operating sessions is a must. Now have you got a timetable sorted yet Jeff?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Lads, a couple of things:

First, the arches were deliberately left blank as it was struggle enough to fit the curved plastikard liners in there. Being plain, any skew isn't noticeable, but with any kind of paving, it would be. No, not doing a Larry - the arches are staying as they are!

Second, when the layout is running with the scenics and buildings etc in a resonable state, we'll have to get together for a running session. I can accommodate a few people at a time and it'd be fun!

Jason - can you recommend an Orbital cd - I fancy having a listen to something I know little about. Cheers.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Can you not turn the viaduct upside down and score into the polyfiller the correct courses (propable skewed as it's on the bend..) using a compass?

I have to say that it does look magnificent.

Do you have any original timetables? I'm sure that there are a few on here with them, and you might even strike it lucky and get the rolling stock appendix (That gives the formations of the passenger trains, if not a trip to York will get them from the D Jenkinson archived material).

I suppose you've also got to get loads of wagons built too haven't you?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The brown album is the all time great. Skip the first two tracks though, as they are a bit of an acquired taste. The album isn't actually called the brown album, it doesn't have a name but the cover is brown so that is what it is known as; either that or the second album

• RMweb Premium

The brown album is the all time great. Skip the first two tracks though, as they are a bit of an acquired taste. The album isn't actually called the brown album, it doesn't have a name but the cover is brown so that is what it is known as; either that or the second album

Think I've got the one on Amazon: trk 3 is Lush3-1, trk 4 is Lush 3-2, trk 5 is Impact (The Earth is burning).... is that the one?

Andy: Viaduct is fixed in place now, so it won't be going anywhere. As for wagon-building....

Timetables - someone has put some schedules on a thread in the S&C section...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That's the one. Next recommendation for something completely different is Never, Never Land by Unkle. Unkle is basically James Lavelle with guest artists; he was a hip hop producer but Never, Never Land has no hip hop on it whatsoever. Hard to describe what it is like really but look for Inside by Unkle on YouTube and see if you like it

• RMweb Premium

When you do start to scratch build wagons, just let me know, I have plenty of drawings! I've also got the MR/L&Y/LMS wagons books, and fine reading they are too, sadly they will make you want all sorts of wagons then!

It would appear that all you have to do is decide on which side of Hellifield you want to be!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Back to Kirkby Luneside, specifically:

Schedule for the next few days isn't particularly photogenic - so may be lacking in posts...

Bit more trackwork: while I wait for the curved turnouts to arrive I'll fit a few of the missing headshunts.

Wiring: 9 turnouts to wire-up for point-blade switching and frog-polarity.

Control Panel: Build in the extra fiddle-yard switches (12 in all) to control the turnouts.

Test, test, test....

In the longer term (2 weeks?), I must fit the track bus. I'm going to use the same stuff I used in my old layout 50/0.25, multi-strand copper, 30A cabling. Works like a dream and it should be straightforward soldering groups of dropper wires to it.

Let's see how much of this is achieved!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

In fact, some of us really enjoy watching you build whatever it is you are building! I have the same problem...the other day when I started tidying up the wiring I made a statement that "nobody will want to see pics of wiring" - they did! Yesterday, I posted a couple of pics of the fan of turnouts going into one side of the FY. I thought people would think "oh no, not more bl***y turnouts" ... the post got a "Popular". So... I have a theory...

There are about 17000 members of RMweb. of these, only about 3000 have made more than 10 posts, 1000 more than 200 posts, 500 more than 500 posts and about 200 more than 1000 posts. So the vast majority of people are on here as passive viewers - many are probably looking for ideas and a hell of a lot want to see step-by-step "guides" showing how to do it. I sometimes feel guilty about apparently trivial posts, but a lot of people want to see this - including ME!

So carry on - I've got some buildings to construct next year, so the more you show, the better!

Jeff

I haven't been around for a couple of days, or is that four( ?), where has this week gone? As I was saying I have only just read this post but the strength of this thread is that details of how things are done and developed, and changed are all gone through in detail. I have seen this in some other threads and it is very instructive, on others it is like Blue Peter, 'here is something I did earlier' and although it looks good you would not then know how to do it yourself. The whole point of a forum like this is to exchange ideas so that we can learn, not just modelling but railway practise as well.

Keep on posting, it is great to see things develop and new ideas coming in.

• Like 1