Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I agree too; just about everything I have done on my layout was new to me, outside my comfort zone and with a different mindset to what I had before and without the advice, guidance and help on here, I would probably have stuck with Peco, Skaledale and built another layout that was a long way from being anything like realistic.

When you think about it, this forum includes members who are (or were) railway workers, professional modellers, authors of books on the subject of both real and model railways and quite a few who have written for that bible of modelling (in my opinion), MRJ. All are more than happy to advise those of us who are just starting out or striving to improve, always in a friendly manner and never with any sense of superiority.

I bought the Hornby Mag Yearbook the other day and whilst it is an ok read, the advice given in it isn't a patch to what you can get on here, for free, and more than likely as part of a friendly and often amusing conversation, complete with anecdotes.

So to the Larry's, Gordon's, Stationmaster Mikes, Brian Harrap's, Jim S-W's, Old Luggers and Dudders, Beasts (that one doesn't sound right when written like that ;) ), Gravy Trains, Il Ditorres, and all the others out there, we owe you a huge thank you.

Funny you should mention that Jason. I got a copy today. Not a bad book, with its Midland focus - and including a viaduct in Topley Dale. But you are right... no matter how much they put in a book, direct first-hand experience can't be beaten.

Your comment about "you'd have stuck with Peco" is so relevant to me. So would I. I'd no intention to go finescale and scratchbuilding - forget it. As for curved viaducts etc... ha, ha. And look what's happened. People like you, Jason, have given me the scratchbuild bug. You and Gordon have me ready to build my own turnouts. Mike's helped so much with the layout planning... the list goes on. All because of this insanely good site.

Great hobby, great fun and often - great friends. Brilliant stuff.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Kirkby Luneside - remember that... lol!!

Update: 4 turnouts and Cobalts fitted into FY. A couple of straights of SMP ready to go in. More wiring done under the boards. Probably get a photo or two out tomorrow.

Jeff

Good progress there Jeff, I've not managed anything today, I got distracted by the opportunity to coach a novice at archery :senile: . The thread seems to be wandering again...

Large areas for layouts are good - so long as you don't get so ambitious that 1) you never get close to getting something running and 2) you can't actually operate it on your own.

I second Sandside's comments on the thanks - though I'd add Sandside and you to the mix - certainly I'm now looking forward to having a bridge to build, rather than trying to work out how to avoid it... Expect lots of questions to come soon...

• RMweb Premium

Morning Michael. It's 7am, the heater is on, it's dark outside and it's an early start to work in the bunker... hopefully get a bit more done today.

Archery sounds like a pretty good excuse to avoid modelling. Closest I ever got was as a 6 year old playing "cowboys and indians" with arrows tipped with rubber suckers!!

If there is any info I can provide relating to viaducts, please ask. If it's a bridge structure, have a look at Stockrington to see what jukebox (Scott) has planned.

Ok, time for some action!

Jeff

Morning Michael. It's 7am, the heater is on, it's dark outside and it's an early start to work in the bunker... hopefully get a bit more done today.

Archery sounds like a pretty good excuse to avoid modelling. Closest I ever got was as a 6 year old playing "cowboys and indians" with arrows tipped with rubber suckers!!

If there is any info I can provide relating to viaducts, please ask. If it's a bridge structure, have a look at Stockrington to see what jukebox (Scott) has planned.

Hmmm... 7am I was safely tucked up in bed with the laptop. Of course, I should have been up, dressed, and in the car on the way to work... Ooops!

Archery is great reason not to be modelling, but when you'd planned on being home an hour earlier and to have enough time to do something, it's a bit annoying... On the other hand, I love coaching, and watching athletes improve as a result of your efforts is something you don't get from many other pursuits - it can get really addictive! (Oh, and we've moved on a bit from suckers...)

I'm toying with the idea of making a Bailey Bridge on one my modules - the theory being that while the stone abutments are still good, the original bridge deck has rusted away, and the components were purchased cheaply after WWII. I've got the right girder and channel sections, and some plans of how they were made, just got to draw them out to 4mm scale, and take the plunge and get going on it! I'll probably make the abutments in the same way as you did your viaduct sides.

Hope you have a succesfull day in the bunker!

• RMweb Premium

Funny you should mention that Jason. I got a copy today. Not a bad book, with its Midland focus - and including a viaduct in Topley Dale. But you are right... no matter how much they put in a book, direct first-hand experience can't be beaten.

When I saw the viaduct they had put on Topley Dale and the corner-straight-corner layout of the track leading over it, I honestly thought 'pfft, Jeff built a curved viaduct that looks a lot more realistic' :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When I saw the viaduct they had put on Topley Dale and the corner-straight-corner layout of the track leading over it, I honestly thought 'pfft, Jeff built a curved viaduct that looks a lot more realistic' :D

Ha, ha! I won't tell you what I thought! Actually, going back to one of your previous posts - if I hadn't been on here, and been encouraged to "go real", I'd have bought the Wills SS80 kit. It's pretty good, but needs some decent weathering to bring out the detail. Not all of us are barmy enough to build curved viaducts!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Michael, having looked at your Wikipedia link, I think a Bailey Bridge type structure would have a lot of character - and would look good, provided it fitted in to the context of your layout. I'd certainly be very interested in watching how you went about building the thing!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just to show that I am actually doing something, here are 2 pics of the wiring, taken a week apart...

The first shows the general mess with dropper wires everywhere - from the turnouts and the SMP sections...

post-13778-0-04471500-1353410941_thumb.jpg

The second shows the same general area. A few more wires have to be connected into the Cobalts. but the "vertical" red and black wires are feeds from the SMP into block, ready for bus connection...

post-13778-0-49081800-1353411037_thumb.jpg

Each wire is labelled - essential given the number of droppers and the fact that - Sod's Law - some of these are going to give problems.

All the wires have been tested for continuity, but there's not much point in taking chances knowing what wire goes where. I'm sure the wiring could be neater, but it's a bit tricky with so many Cobalts in a relatively small space.

Photos of the fiddle yard progress later...

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've sorted out the track geometry that will link roads 1 to 4 (1 = Clockwise, Down Main) to the viaduct. I've only got 3 curved turnouts in stock - others are on order - but the radii has worked out pretty well.

So the next 2 days work is to get the Down main and roads 2-4 linked in.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

So you have it sorted, :sungum: It was only 22.04 so WOT ARE YOU WAITING FOR :O bed is for whimps, :no: get on with it, :nono: I hope to see it finished in the morning, :sungum: hahahahhahhaeheeeeee

Andy (causing trouble again) :senile:

LOL!!! Don't tempt me! If it wasn't for the fact that fitting the turnouts involves making a lot of noise with the drill and cutting discs, I'd be out there now doing it!

I just realised I had another problem - NO MORE COBALTS! So another £100 down the drain to get another 6... brings the total to 36. Blimey. Keep telling myself it'll be worth it - and at least I know what I'm going to be doing for the next 2-3 days.

Andy, you're a slave driver. Next thing, you'll be asking whether I've grassed the fiddle yard! :O

Good to hear from you. There's been plenty of views on the thread today, but everyone's been shy and said nowt!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy (uax6) - if you read this... Thanks for the continuing stream of info. You'll burn your scanner out!

There was some great stuff in that last batch. The article on Hellifield - the picture taken in 1919 looked the same as when I used to travel the Leeds-Morecambe line in the 70s!! And the trackplan - must have been an impressive place at its height. Not S&C, but not far off!

Also found the article on water columns of interest.

Thanks very much - keep it coming!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Michael, having looked at your Wikipedia link, I think a Bailey Bridge type structure would have a lot of character - and would look good, provided it fitted in to the context of your layout. I'd certainly be very interested in watching how you went about building the thing!

Well, I started this evening... Surprisingly the side pieces look to be really easy to make - they only need 3 differently shaped pieces of girder, plus 2 sizes of plate. Will have to build a jig to put them together though, some of the bits are a little fiddly to get in the right place. Will start posting about it tomorrow (well later today now).

You're making good progress - I'm sure the quietness on here is to make sure you have a chance to get on and finish the fiddle-yard...

Hummmmm! You are going to grass the fiddle yard are'nt you?

I'm beginning to think this railway modelling stuff is starting to get to me. I went into Manchester today to pick a couple of books up at Ian Allen's, found out they have a model department now and came home with a Stanier 2-6-4T, a 4F and an 8F! (They had a nice Bachmann 9F as well but I could'nt come up with a half-reasonable excuse for buying it!) Of course I blame you for allowing me to lurk and take notes instead of getting on with my work (My agents threatening to have me executed if I don't finish the new picture). Too much incentive to see something running on Theakestone (The new layouts now official name). So I'll just have to stop with the buildings and get some track down, won't I?

In the meantime, many thanks for the great inspiration. Looking forward to that 9F heading up your first complete test train

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Bill, the layout name - Theakestone - wouldn't have anything to do with a certain brand of very tasty real ale, would it?! I remember drinking tons of "Old Peculiar" when I lived in Oxford, many years ago...

You did well to get the 8F. Was it the last, weathered version? They don't seem to be stocked by the major online "box-shifters". I would very highly recommend you get a Bachmann 9F. It's one of their best models, a beautiful runner with massive pulling power. I fully expect to have a 9F with 30-40 wagons trundling through KL (stock limited by fiddle yard road length!!).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

After one or two requests, I have started a step by step build in my Scenery, Structures & Transport section thread, so I fully expect to see a few structures appear on KL, soon.....

It may take a while to complete the guide though, because I might just have volunteered to make one of the buildings for BCB ;-)

Bill, do you have a layout thread that I have somehow missed?

After one or two requests, I have started a step by step build in my Scenery, Structures & Transport section thread, so I fully expect to see a few structures appear on KL, soon.....

It may take a while to complete the guide though, because I might just have volunteered to make one of the buildings for BCB ;-)

Bill, do you have a layout thread that I have somehow missed?

Just had a quick look at your latest step by step, looks like another thread to follow

• RMweb Premium

Jason, this is great news and I expect it to be one of the most popular threads on the Forum. Loads of people are going to be tuning in and asking questions - Billy is clearly a fan already! Maybe we should suggest that Gordon does a thread on making turnouts?

I will definitely follow it avidly and use your ideas when I build the station buildings. Very good news indeed!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well, I started this evening... Surprisingly the side pieces look to be really easy to make - they only need 3 differently shaped pieces of girder, plus 2 sizes of plate. Will have to build a jig to put them together though, some of the bits are a little fiddly to get in the right place. Will start posting about it tomorrow (well later today now).

You're making good progress - I'm sure the quietness on here is to make sure you have a chance to get on and finish the fiddle-yard...

I'll look out for this, Michael. Where in the country do you live and what region/period are you going to model? I guess that if I wait for your thread I'll find out!

Early start in the bunker. I intend to get a few sections of SMP down today. Photos later.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I'll look out for this, Michael. Where in the country do you live and what region/period are you going to model? I guess that if I wait for your thread I'll find out!

Early start in the bunker. I intend to get a few sections of SMP down today. Photos later.

Jeff

Morning Jeff, Just seems the right day for modelling, rain in the air, leadened skies, middle of November. Hope you have a good day in the bunker. How do you go about getting turnouts built to your requirements btw, especially the curved ones? I know you originally planned for Peco so how did you convert from Peco turnouts to Marcway/SMP? I may need several curved turnouts but until I can get to grips with Templot I don't know what size I require. I may have a go at building some myself but it would be good to have a back-up of custom made ones. I am busy buying up a well-known DIY store's supply of loft boarding as they have a 3 for 2 offer on at the moment and will need at least 364 sq ft of the stuff, that's 33 packs, so only another 12 to buy.

Edited by Rowsley17D

Jason, this is great news and I expect it to be one of the most popular threads on the Forum. Loads of people are going to be tuning in and asking questions - Billy is clearly a fan already! Maybe we should suggest that Gordon does a thread on making turnouts?

I will definitely follow it avidly and use your ideas when I build the station buildings. Very good news indeed!

Jeff

Done already, Jeff, but happy to it again on something very straightforward. See post 901 onward.

http://www.rmweb.co....e/page__st__900

More that a little flattered to be listed in your thread. Some pretty illustrious company there, but in reality we're all just simple guys who have focussed on one particular area of this hobby of ours. It's the old adage, 'the more you practice the better you get'. In reality I had never built a turnout until a few years back, but since then I've built a 100 or so. I do find that if I haven't built any in a month or two, it takes me quite a while to get back into the rhythm of the whole thing, but an hour or so in and it all seems so natural and just flows.

It's great to watch your progress and you'll certainly have something running very soon....

Edit: Meant to say Templot is far easier than it appears. You just need to know the shortcuts. I really only use half of it's capabilities, but that is more than enough to create what I need. Once you learn the few F keys you need to produce most things, the rest is easy. Happy to help out anyone who needs to understand the basics.

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gordon. I'll be needing some guidance when (notice I didn't say "if"!!) I decide to have a go with the turnouts.

I assume I'll need to use Templot? Is it a free download or does it cost? Bearing in mind Martin's been working on it for years, I'd expect he should charge something.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

364 ft2. Thats a big area. I'm working in a mere 200 ft2, so that's impressive!

I bought "off the shelf" turnouts from Marcway. Apart from one crossover, I've used 60" left and right turnouts for the straight sections. For the curved turnouts I've used 54"/36" radii and adapted the curves to match in. Fairly easy as the difference between, say, 48" and 70" at such large radii isn't too noticeable on a curve - unless you make a gross hash of matching everything in!

The first 2 yards of today's SMP have been stuck in place, with more to come. Going out for a haircut which kind of breaks up the flow of things. Will post more pics later!

Jeff