Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

And now for something completely....relevant!!

A couple of pics to show the curved turnouts being linked into the fiddle yard.

Caution: NEVER forget your IRJs if using electrofrogs ... How many turnouts have I fitted? Guess what I did? Good job the PVA hadn't set or I'd have been "doing a Larry" in the morning!

Jeff

post-13778-0-49061600-1353612894_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-86350500-1353612906_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We try so hard with our meticulous planning to avoid such things but the inevitable always happens. When laying my turnouts, I didn't take into consideration that for one of them, the frog is on the other side of the bridge to the turnout motor and not wanting to cut a groove in the foam underlay, there is now a wire which passes through the baseboard, under the bridge, into a connector (the bridge sits on an RSJ) and then into the Tortoise. A couple of times when I have had running sessions after splitting the layout and (obviously) putting it back together again, I have forgotten about this lonesome wire and fretted for ages as to why that turnout has a dead spot !!!

Being the fiddle yard, you could of course have the wire surface mounted until you reach an area where there is no RSJ. Much of the wiring in my (embryotic) fiddle yard is on the surface because I couldn't see the point in hiding it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Don't you go picking up bad habits from Larry!

How far do the rails extend beyond the ends of those points? Could you not cut them back so that dummy sleepers are not required?

Andy

• Like 1

Hee Hee! Now you’re talking! Andrew P has just gained 100 Estimation Points! Pink Floyd the greatest rock band ever! Believe it or not, I first saw them live in 1967 complete with a (rather bemused) Syd Barrett, then 21 times after that ending at Earl’s Court. I have all the albums but favourite has to be Wish You Were Here. I really can’t agree with Andrew P about Floyd making good background music to modelling for the simple reason that I stop modelling and just start listening. Same thing happens with Rush (another firm favourite and complete collection!) By the way Andrew P don’t dream about that Stratocaster, go and get one! A few years ago I received a very nice rebate from the taxman which allowed me to achieve one of my lifetime ambitions in the shape of a US-built American Special Strat with Texas pickups together with a Marshall MX30 amp. I don’t care if I’m the worst player ever it’s just such a beautiful thing to possess! Incidentally, speaking of rock chicks. My neighbour Sue was the girlfriend of Jimmy Paige back in the early days of Led Zepp and she’s my best mate! Does that count?

Uax6:

My comment still applies. I’ve studied and modelled the L&Y for years and have never had the courage to step back and model it in pre-grouping form. The extra dedication that takes can only be admired. It seems we are in the same boat at least. The new layout (Theakestone) at the moment consists of two sets of terraced houses, a factory, station platforms, Holmfirth goods shed all in various states of completion. Goods and coaching stock kits mostly built, ready for painting and various loco’s awaiting attention from my airbrush (including a rather nice 9F, purchased today, for which I blame Jeff! Hee Hee!). I’ve just taken delivery of the baseboards built by a local joiner so at least I can finally start tracklaying!

Jeff

George Dent’s Airbrushing for Railway Modellers is highly recommended as is Tim Shackleton’s book Aspects of Modelling: Weathering Locomotives. Incidentally, Jeff, my local model shop has Hornby’s Dent Station Building. I could easily pick one up for you :) I’m thinking about those bargeboards!

What’s a television? Sorry.....back to RELEVANT............

Regards to all

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Don't you go picking up bad habits from Larry!

How far do the rails extend beyond the ends of those points? Could you not cut them back so that dummy sleepers are not required?

Andy

The rail extension varies, typically a couple of cms. I could cut them back but, for some reason, never think to do so. It's an easy task soldering an extra sleeper into the gap so I'm not too worried. You are right though, Andy - it would save me an extra job.

I'm quite cross about those IRJs as I always make a point of double-checking (at least) everything I do. Sometimes we just miss the problem when it's staring right at us!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hee Hee! Now you’re talking! Andrew P has just gained 100 Estimation Points! Pink Floyd the greatest rock band ever! Believe it or not, I first saw them live in 1967 complete with a (rather bemused) Syd Barrett, then 21 times after that ending at Earl’s Court. I have all the albums but favourite has to be Wish You Were Here. I really can’t agree with Andrew P about Floyd making good background music to modelling for the simple reason that I stop modelling and just start listening. Same thing happens with Rush (another firm favourite and complete collection!) By the way Andrew P don’t dream about that Stratocaster, go and get one! A few years ago I received a very nice rebate from the taxman which allowed me to achieve one of my lifetime ambitions in the shape of a US-built American Special Strat with Texas pickups together with a Marshall MX30 amp. I don’t care if I’m the worst player ever it’s just such a beautiful thing to possess! Incidentally, speaking of rock chicks. My neighbour Sue was the girlfriend of Jimmy Paige back in the early days of Led Zepp and she’s my best mate! Does that count?

Bill

Bill, you have just gone even higher in my estimation. I love Floyd, but Rush are my all-time favourite band without any question. I think I must have at least 3 sets of all their albums in original form, remasters etc. First came across them in 1980. My first Rush concert was Sheffield in 1992 - next May at NEC and Sheffield will bring the total to 7. If I could afford it I'd trek round Europe after them. Clockwork Angels was a magnificent album - took me back to the halcyon days of 2112 and Moving Pictures. Btw, if you read my earlier post to Jason, WYWH is my fave Floyd, too. What, with 9Fs and Old Peculiar... are you a clone of me/vice-versa!?

Bill, I've already got a Dent Station - though probably won't use it. I'll get a copy of the weathering books in the near future. I think a bit of airbrushing is the way to go!

Music in general - I tend to stop everything and just listen. George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" on at the mo.

Is this a railway thread? Umm.... don't tell the OP!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jason, I remember you urging caution re. Cobalts in one of your earliest posts on this thread. Prior to today I'd bought 30, with no problems. Got another 6 from Gaugemaster this afternoon. 3 were ok, 3 will be going back. 2 of them clicked like hell, even at 7V. The other worked in both directions but intermittently stopped - it needed a tap on the plastic casing to make it "go" again. Bizarre! Otherwise, they've worked well (most at less than 9V, a couple need 12V to really kick-in).

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Track laying is the easy bit, just think of all those things you are going to forget when you get round to making the buildings, scratchbuilding some wagons and coaches etc.... ;-}

Tomorrow I'm about to start doing something I never thought I would do in a million years... Start making a bunk bed in 4mm! The compo sleeper is going to have to have the upper berths modelled in at least one compartment (so it looks like I've at least tried!). No-idea how I'm going to do it yet (plasticard sanded I guess!).

Now does anyone know where I can get a 4mm scale nude women so that she can be popped into another compartment and be seen through a blindthat isn't fully closed????!!! ;-}

The layout railway is coming on well. Have you ordered the half-ton of ballast yet? Do you want me to send up some rayburn ash to use in the sidings???

Andy G

Cumfortaby Numb (the live version that goes on for about 20 mins or so) on number 30 in the car :no: and dream of my wonderful Candy Apple Red, Fender Stat and my 100 watt Marshall stack. wound right up on full chat. :O :nono: :no: :sungum: :sungum:

That actuall beats the sound of a 9F over Shap I think :stinker:

I see Marcway profits are up again this Month Jeff :O hahahaheeeeeee

With all this Wall talk, I hope you won't mind a thread hijack:

post-8688-0-95215200-1353617788.jpg

27th Jan this year - 10 years old - 1st concert ever...

post-8688-0-54399000-1353617953.jpg

I've warned him that it is all downhill from there. He'll never see anything as spectacular.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 2

Hi Jeff

As the saying goes...Great Minds Think Alike, though I'm puzzled as to how my befuddled little head fits into that. Seriously though. It's amazing how many rock-fans and musicians there are on the forum. Trisonic springs readily to mind and a quick glance through the Songtitles thread proves it! Rush...innovative and natural successors to Floyd in my mind. Sadly for me, the only time I had the opportunity to see them I came down with the dreaded lurgy (flu) and missed out. I'm currently listening to Havoc and Bright Lights from Alanis Morrissette. Another firm favourite and best singer-songwriter to come out of Canada since Joni Mitchell (aka. The Queen!)

As for the Old Peculiar, well theres a free-house pub nearby which I pass on my way into and back from town, and for some strange reason I just can't walk past. Same thing with The Train Shop. Weird isn't it?

What can you do? Music, model railways and nectar. Life doesn't get any better does it?

I've just recharged the batteries in my camera so I'll take a couple of pics of the airbrush and compressor. Post on here or would a PM be better?

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Gold

I'm quite cross about those IRJs as I always make a point of double-checking (at least) everything I do. Sometimes we just miss the problem when it's staring right at us!

A cutting disc (on a powered minidrill such as a Dremel) solves any missing rail joints Jeff, no need to lift anything.

• Like 2

Jeff,

Track laying is the easy bit, just think of all those things you are going to forget when you get round to making the buildings, scratchbuilding some wagons and coaches etc.... ;-}

Tomorrow I'm about to start doing something I never thought I would do in a million years... Start making a bunk bed in 4mm! The compo sleeper is going to have to have the upper berths modelled in at least one compartment (so it looks like I've at least tried!). No-idea how I'm going to do it yet (plasticard sanded I guess!).

Now does anyone know where I can get a 4mm scale nude women so that she can be popped into another compartment and be seen through a blindthat isn't fully closed????!!! ;-}

The layout railway is coming on well. Have you ordered the half-ton of ballast yet? Do you want me to send up some rayburn ash to use in the sidings???

Andy G

uax6: You naughty person you!!!

I'm detailing the interior of a chip shop with counter and tables and thats bad enough. With my eyes I have enough trouble!

For naked ladies (and chaps come to think of it) have a look at the Prieser range of figures (Just remember, you didn't read this here, this is a decent thread!)

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Since it's my thread and since the airbrush may prove to be popular in the future, please post the details on here. It will no doubt promote a discussion - that's why the Forum is here!

Btw Andy - can't help you with nude ladies in 4mm. I'm a decent chap and don't go in for filth, you know!! Lol.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Bill,

I hope your not suggesting that they share bunks....... ;-}

I'll have a look and see what i can find. Even making the blinds will be a challege.

What are you using for chips? Bits of yellow cotton?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Scott - was that Roger Waters on his world tour? Bet it was quite a spectacle.

Dave - thanks for the tip. I'm coming to the conclusion that the Dremel was one of the best purchases I've made since starting this layout. Thought it was a bit fussy at first, but bought a chuck and it's magic - especially when using drills of less than a mm.

The bunker is sealed for the night. More tracklaying tomorrow. Now - how long can I resist fitting the track bus??!

Jeff

Yes, indeed! The Wall had always been on of those "wish I was born 20 years earlier" tours... true "bucket list" stuff. Then Rog re-visited it, and was kind enough to bring it to Perth (we are a long way from anywhere, so many overseas acts just fly over us to Sydney...).

I lashed out on "silver" seats - but snagged one at the end of an angled row, so was actually in the front row. Best. Concert. Ever.

Then, the next day, the 2nd show hadn't sold out, so at 2pm they flogged the remaining seats for GBP50... my 10 year old (only just 10, too!) had a bit of a Wall fixation, so I asked him if he'd like to go. By 4pm we had two tix for that night's show, and were driving back into the city.

Just as good the 2nd time - and quite a different experience being halfway back to being up the front. Not better or worse, just different.

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I go through phases of listening to Floyd; recently I have been listening to a lot of Waters' solo stuff and bits from The Wall (look for Mother from the film on YouTube - a much better version than that on the album IMHO). Could talk about music all night given half a chance and I have a real eclectic taste as well, lovin everything from classical to 60's and 70's music, New Order (Ceremony, written by Ian Curtis just before he killed himself, is probably my favourite song of all time), through to modern(ish) electronic music. I have been trying to get the girlfriend to appreciate the virtues of Orbital, Hybrid and UNKLE for a long time now but she sees it as dance music. It is so much more than that (try dancing to it to prove that) and in my eyes, is the Floyd of the Noughties as they are pushing the boundaries of what we think music should sound like.

Back to modelling and I would say that it is worth spending a bit of money on an airbrush and compressor. I bought some cheap thing and a few cans of air (tinned wind...) a few years ago and it was a false economy. In my usual style, I can only say that it's performance rhymed with quit.

On the scratchbuild front, buy a sheet of mounting board from your local art shop and have a mess around with it, cutting it into building shapes. It will cost you a few quid and if it goes well then you are laughing; if not, then you are a few quid out of pocket.

Disclaimer: after producing the fantastic viaducts, it will go well :D

• RMweb Premium

Let me tell you something Jason. I'm so damned inspired by the townscape you've created that I'm determined to make it work - even if it takes a few goes. I don't have the space or setting for a Bacup-like scenario, but the whole thing looks a lot of fun and you must be so proud of it. A bit like I am of my viaducts. We are proud - not smug!

Back to music. I've never tried any stuff by Orbital - make me a recommendation, please. I enjoyed Roger Waters' "The Final Cut" - mostly about his dad. Officially a Floyd album, but minimal input from the great Dave Gilmour as they'd fallen out. I think they've finally made up. The title track, very much in the Comfortably Numb mould, is superb.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Do you ever sleep?

Yours wonderingly,

Peter

I try not to! Typically in bed around midnight, up as soon as I can ~ 6ish. I've never slept well and regard it as wasted time! I'd much rather be doing something.

I've just made the mistake of checking in the bunker before locking up. I've immediately made a (large) mental list of jobs to do. How many get done in the next couple of days remains to be seen!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Dangerous territory, making lists. I keep thinking about making one but even the ones that spring to mind in that instant scare me. Top of my head now are platform lights, station signs, signalling, more pavements, gutters and downpipes for the buildings, over 250 chimney pots to be made (or sourced), painted and attached, etc., etc.

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh!

I agree with lists being dangerous - I keep thinking I should make one, but I know all it would contain is the lists I need to write...

You lot really do make me feel my age with all this discussion of music - I'm too young to remember it. Thank you! :sungum:

I'd agree with the air-brush and compressor - I got one for my 19th birthday tried it a few times, liked what it did, then promptly went off to university and haven't used it since - other than the occasional run to make sure the compressor still works. One day I will get it out and learn how to use it properly!

Andrew P don’t dream about that Stratocaster, go and get one! A few years ago I received a very nice rebate from the taxman which allowed me to achieve one of my lifetime ambitions in the shape of a US-built American Special Strat with Texas pickups together with a Marshall MX30 amp. I don’t care if I’m the worst player ever it’s just such a beautiful thing to possess! Incidentally, speaking of rock chicks. My neighbour Sue was the girlfriend of Jimmy Paige back in the early days of Led Zepp and she’s my best mate! Does that count?

Regards to all

Bill

Hi Bill , and SORRY TO HIJACK YOUR THREAD AGAIN JEFF, but a few years ago now when I was in a band I had 9 guitars at one stage including Fender USA Strat, Telecaster, Jazz and Pression Bass, also Epiphone Les Paul and several others, I also had 3 keyboards and five amps including Marshall, Fender and Peavey etc. I do still keep looking in shop windows and picking up Guitarist Mag for a quick flick through. Now my days of playing in a band are behind me they are all gone to fund the Railway.

As for memrobilia I do have one of the Late Great Gary Moore;s plectrums that he threw to me after a gig at Portsmouth Guildhall and one from Rick Parfitt of Status Quo, all good memories.

Now then young :O Jeff, I have only been out for the evening, (working on our clubs layout Coopers Dale, ready for our open weekend on 8th / 9th Dec, PLUG PLUG :nono: ) and I come back in and you are half way down another new page :no: . WOT IS GOIN ON GUV? Y R U SO POPLIAR? WOT IZ IT WIV DIS FRD THAT WERKS?

In all seriousness it is the quality not the quantity if workmanship that attracks anoracks like myself to keep looking every few hours and that is good for the R M Web and us all.

Now ref Jeff sleeping, :stinker: I have told him before that SLEEP IS FOR WHIMPS, :boast: hahahah

Must go now as it is WHIMP TIME, night night all. :angel:

Andy.

• Like 2

Oh Gawd!

What an unutterably BRILLIANT thread this is, I've just been larfin' me 'ead orf!

While I certainly do like (a lot) the music that has been mentioned so far on here, no-one has mentioned a certain musical 'pop' combo that is mentioned in my signature - maybe they're not all that good to most others?

As for miniature ladies of the unclothed variety - try Noch for particularly risqué ones, I don't know how they get away with it! Strictly H0 scale really but 4mm ones are much harder to find.

Oops! Better type that in white, don't want the censors involved do we?

Anyway, must go and be a wimp now, get some sleep for my trip to a large model railway exhibition in the morning! See y'all on Monday!

Ha, ha, ha, ha!

John E.