Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

I still keep looking at OLD PAGES on here and of ET, and Tetleys, to keep me inspired for the day when I can start to build the LAST GREAT PROJECT (yes I know that was Ken Paynes title for Kendale) . Every time I look through here and the others I find new bits in pics or wrighting that I had missed last time and that is why threads like this, Gordons, Daves and many other are so inspiring.

Just a thought, once you have it wired, it is worth trying a propper running session for a few weeks before going to far, I always get out as much stock as I can, fill the fiddle yard and sidings to find any shortcomings you may have missed in the build or planning stage. I built a layout once and when testing found I had nowhere to store the brake van whilst shunting the yard, so in went abother set of points I had not planned for. I have also had the same with loco stabeling, not enough room leads to frustration and then locos don't get changed, I looked at Borchester Market for insperation and ideas on that one.

Another bonus of a long running session like this is that everytime I went to play whoops, opperate I see the layout from a different viewing perspective and that has in the past encouraged me to change some scenic ideas befor going to far. I a train looks good coming around a curve or over acrossing for example, DO NOT BLOCK THAT VIEW.

Layouts are much easier to change a this stage, raher than ripping up loads of ballast at a later date through frustration.

Have a good day, must go now to look at Tetleys and ET, and then do some more wiring on Trebudoc, cheers Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Andy, a lot of good advice in there. I won't be doing any scenic work or ballasting until all the trackwork is thoroughly tested out electrically. I anticipate something will be wrong and ripping stuff up at this stage is a pain, but so much easier.

Your comment about the "view" was the reason I got rid of the Branch viaduct. I couldn't stand the thought of the main viaduct being hindered by anything in front of it. The fiddle yard should hold enough stock for a decent running session. It's been compromised by the demands of the hillside, but there's still plenty of storage.

Enjoy yourself!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jonathan. I feel like I'm crawling along, but if, like you've done, you miss a few days, then I suppose it does show some progress. I am very pleased with the way the underboard wiring has tidied up. A bit more later - might post a pic to break up the monotony of the words!

Pleased about the new house. I may have juice soon, but you may be able to start sorting out your loft!

Enjoy sunny Northallerton - house-related purchases by any chance? Or at you at work?

Target today: Fit 2 more turnouts/Cobalts and do a bit more wiring work.

Jeff

On lunch and back from Northallerton, went on business. Thinking of Northallerton LNER, it must have been a great place in steam days when the Leeds Northern was still there and the Wensleydale branch. Today's station is a travesty of what it must have been at one time, just a couple of draughty bus shelters now. Never saw the old station, only in photos.

When we are immersed in a project it is hard to think back from where we came and just how much has been achieved to get where we are. Just remember, at one time your railway room was a garage. Looking back at the past year (with still a month and a half to go) I have met a lovely lady and decided to get married, bought a new home and planning the last great project (with due reverence to Ken Payne, but his was 0 gauge).

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Both you and Andy make reference to Ken Payne and the "last great project". Not a bad thing to compare to, mind.

Yes, the last year has been frenetic. My postman has just called in with a parcel and asked how I was getting on. He hadn't seen the garage since the spring and was amazed at how it had changed! It'll be the same with your project. One thing I would advise - and I'm sure you'd do this anyway (and you have been doing the research) is to get the trackplan exactly the way you want it. With the help of the guys on this thread I think I've achieved that - but it's taken nearly 3 years from my first sketchings. When I look back at my initial ideas I can see the embryo of the present layout, but some of my schemes were laughable!

Anyway, time to go and do some more work. Don't think I've achieved anything today!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, have you seen the fiddle yard on the Camden Shed layout, page 3 of his bloggy thingy looks fantastic, I am sick and now want even more room, hahahah

Andy.

It doesn't matter how much space we have, we will still want more until the space outstrips the budget, but it would be nice to have that problem.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, have you seen the fiddle yard on the Camden Shed layout, page 3 of his bloggy thingy looks fantastic, I am sick and now want even more room, hahahah

Andy.

You mean the one done by 92220? Yes, I came across it about a fortnight ago. Iain has put a few posts on my thread so I decided to have a look. He's clearly a 9F fan, which recommends him!! when I saw his "shed" - best shed I've ever seen with one side completely glazed and open to the light. And his splendid fiddle yard. Yep, mine's only half the size!

Nevermind, if we had a barn of space we'd soon get sick of trying to fill it!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't matter how much space we have, we will still want more until the space outstrips the budget, but it would be nice to have that problem.

Exactly. And then there's the upkeep - I'm already thinking about the track cleaning. Having said that, my last layout (also DCC) ran beautifully when the track looked clean but was actually pretty dirty. Amazing how much crap isopropyl alcohol can get off!

Jeff

Howdy Jeff & all,

This is almost becoming a bit like "Early Risers" (I guess?) with so many comments, so much progress and so much warmth!

Congratulations to Jonathon on his good news!

Looking back at the past year (with still a month and a half to go) I have met a lovely lady and decided to get married, bought a new home and planning the last great project (with due reverence to Ken Payne, but his was 0 gauge).

Exactly. And then there's the upkeep - I'm already thinking about the track cleaning. Having said that, my last layout (also DCC) ran beautifully when the track looked clean but was actually pretty dirty. Amazing how much crap isopropyl alcohol can get off!

On my big old layout (since sold!) I had invested in a CMX track cleaner - it's a bogie vehicle with a very heavy brass cylinder holding IPA that distributes the liquid onto a wiper pad on the rails. You probably need a couple of Sulzer type two's to pull it round but it did save me an enormous amount of time cleaning track - and it can get to the hard to reach parts, worth a thought?

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon, John.

Glad to hear the comment about the "warmth". I've always hoped that'd be the way this thread would work out. There are a core group of about 20 posters on here and we all seem to empathise very nicely. Everyone is free to have their say, and how much destructive criticism has there been? None. It's bl***y marvellous, and it's down to all you guys who make the Forum as a whole such a brilliant place.

As for track cleaners. Dapol brought one out - along the lines of the one you mentioned - about 4 years ago. I intended to buy one for the old layout, but it got mixed reviews. The motor in the cleaning vehicle was DCC controllable too. If anyone reading this has such a device, let's hear what you think about it.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As for track cleaners. Dapol brought one out - along the lines of the one you mentioned - about 4 years ago. I intended to buy one for the old layout, but it got mixed reviews. The motor in the cleaning vehicle was DCC controllable too. If anyone reading this has such a device, let's hear what you think about it.

Cheers,

Jeff

I've got one. It's crap :D

To be fair, the only time I gave it a go was on my old layout, when the dirt was really caked on but it did next to nothing in removing it. I would rather use a cloth and IPA, with a track rubber (followed by hoovering) for really stubborn bits.

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, the only time I gave it a go was on my old layout, when the dirt was really caked on but it did next to nothing in removing it. I would rather use a cloth and IPA, with a track rubber (followed by hoovering) for really stubborn bits.

That's the kind of thing we need to hear Jason! Next time though, can you stop mincing your words and get to the point!!? :jester:

I've made sure I have good access to all areas of KL so I'll probably be sticking with a soft cloth and IPA too. Besides, it smells nice! :O

Good to hear from you Jason. I really must pop over to Bacup in the near future...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

A chap I was acquainted with back in the late 1980s had a layout in a barn but alas I never got to the Midlands to see it - basically a large roundy with a branch and, so I understood, with full block signalling and radio controlled trains (receiver and traction power batteries in a vehicle semi-permantly coupled to its respective loco) and so it had to be worked by Signalmen and Drivers. I wonder what happened to it when he died?

The interesting parallel to KL is that it too was roundy - alright on a much larger scale of course but still basically a roundy.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

I'm not once to mince my words Jeff; I don;t know many Cumbrians who do :D

Funnily enough, I have just updated my thread after a long period. I got it into my head that nobody would want to see yet another blow by blow account of how I made some stupid bloody terraced houses that are only slightly different to all the other bloody terraced houses (there are now 57 dwellings on the layout, if you include living above the shop, cafe and pub. That doesn't include three mills and the Northlight factory, or the railway properties).

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, I have just updated my thread after a long period. I got it into my head that nobody would want to see yet another blow by blow account of how I made some stupid bloody terraced houses that are only slightly different to all the other bloody terraced houses (there are now 57 dwellings on the layout, if you include living above the shop, cafe and pub. That doesn't include three mills and the Northlight factory, or the railway properties).

In fact, some of us really enjoy watching you build whatever it is you are building! I have the same problem...the other day when I started tidying up the wiring I made a statement that "nobody will want to see pics of wiring" - they did! Yesterday, I posted a couple of pics of the fan of turnouts going into one side of the FY. I thought people would think "oh no, not more bl***y turnouts" ... the post got a "Popular". So... I have a theory...

There are about 17000 members of RMweb. of these, only about 3000 have made more than 10 posts, 1000 more than 200 posts, 500 more than 500 posts and about 200 more than 1000 posts. So the vast majority of people are on here as passive viewers - many are probably looking for ideas and a hell of a lot want to see step-by-step "guides" showing how to do it. I sometimes feel guilty about apparently trivial posts, but a lot of people want to see this - including ME!

So carry on - I've got some buildings to construct next year, so the more you show, the better!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

True, but I have pretty much followed the same method of construction on most of the buildings.

I have just had a look at both of my main threads and I don't think I have ever done a start to finish (step by step) guide, although every step I take has been documented at different points. I still have a few more structures to build (a couple of houses, a low relief shop and a low relief something - possibly a brick built factory / warehouse for a change - next to the new row of houses) so maybe I will take shots at each stage and try to do a step-by-step guide, updated in my Structured thread (that hasn't had a post in it for a loooooong time)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40873-buildings-for-bacup/

I have one of the Dapol cleaners, and a Aztec one. Both of them require a brutish loco to push them around the layout. (I use my 50, or the 66...generally, the 50 because the 66 has a bit more flaky transmission system). The Dapol one is best used on vacuum mode, then with the pads. Frankly, putting a DCC chip in it is almost a waste- as it is best run at flat out anyway. The pads seem to work OK for me, but the track can't be totally covered in crud before you start.

I also use Peco track cleaners- there's a host of them kicking around the layout rooms, to allow me to spot clean. Using RR&Co, it is important that the start sections be spotless, as a stall on start can create absolute caos as the computer looses the train (sometimes). Best overcome by fitting resistors to some wagon wheelsets, as well as all my brakes and restaraunt cars.

Last night, I plowed a Lego loco off the track @ 2100 or so- I have to take a photo to show what that kind of accident looks like. It involved driving the right way through a turnout...right off the table, then down onto the floor. (& that ended my attempt to run a lego train for the first time in a month or so...) I'd spent the day at our community hall (Shirley Community Association, Shirley BC) selling food to the unsuspecting masses. (& the cheesecake was good as ever !). The last couple of weeks have been really messed up, and quite busy, so not a lot has gotten done on either railway. I don't have the freedom of being retired (yet...)

James

• RMweb Premium

True, but I have pretty much followed the same method of construction on most of the buildings.

I have just had a look at both of my main threads and I don't think I have ever done a start to finish (step by step) guide, although every step I take has been documented at different points. I still have a few more structures to build (a couple of houses, a low relief shop and a low relief something - possibly a brick built factory / warehouse for a change - next to the new row of houses) so maybe I will take shots at each stage and try to do a step-by-step guide, updated in my Structured thread (that hasn't had a post in it for a loooooong time)

http://www.rmweb.co....ings-for-bacup/

Yes, go ahead and do that - I, for one, will follow what you are doing! I'm learning new stuff all the time and I like the threads that show the cock-ups or the "alternatives". Your factory, for example: the way you changed the water tank.

Btw, the houses on the hillside are superb!

As for KL today? 2 more turnouts and Cobalts fitted. More wiring up later.... Can't wait to get to a more photogenic bit - may have reached 100,000 views by the time that happens! Lol.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

James, I can highly recommend retirement. Occasionally someone will ask me if I'm bored. So I show them the building work, the design, the electrical bits, all the reading I'm doing etc - and that's when the weather's crap. There are things to do outside, too. How I ever got anything done when I had to work - sorry for use of highlighted four-letter word - is beyond me!

Thanks for your experiences of the track cleaners. I think I'll be sticking to good old elbow grease at the moment!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A chap I was acquainted with back in the late 1980s had a layout in a barn but alas I never got to the Midlands to see it - basically a large roundy with a branch and, so I understood, with full block signalling and radio controlled trains (receiver and traction power batteries in a vehicle semi-permantly coupled to its respective loco) and so it had to be worked by Signalmen and Drivers. I wonder what happened to it when he died?

The interesting parallel to KL is that it too was roundy - alright on a much larger scale of course but still basically a roundy.

Mike, given unlimited funds and space I think I'd get bored! There are some wonderful layouts built by teams of people, and they really show what can be achieved. Some of the large club layouts are quite incredible, using a mix of expertise. But there's nothing like your own project, however small. And with too much space, how would you ever fill in the detail? I think it'd get tedious.

I remember a radio controlled layout in Model Rail - about 40' x 20' - in the early 2000s. Roundy-roundy too.

Jeff

• Like 1

You mean the one done by 92220? Yes, I came across it about a fortnight ago. Iain has put a few posts on my thread so I decided to have a look. He's clearly a 9F fan, which recommends him!! when I saw his "shed" - best shed I've ever seen with one side completely glazed and open to the light. And his splendid fiddle yard. Yep, mine's only half the size!

Jeff

You are very kind Jeff...

The only downside of Camden is that I have to invent reasons for 9Fs, and especially 92220, to be there....

All the chat about budgets etc on the Scotsman thread and they could have put a bit of cash into ES and had it running on the GC. Talk about another iconic loco!

If I can hang onto your shirt tails as you speed through KL's construction, I might get something finished!

Iain

Ha, ha, ha! You've really hit the nail on the head there, mate! My thoughts exactly, though it is adequate as a vacuum cleaner.

Nothing really beats good old elbow grease, after all.

My favourite "track rubber" type of cleaner is those sold by Helmsman (& I think, MERG!) - they are excellent.

Cheers,

John E.

In fact, some of us really enjoy watching you build whatever it is you are building! I have the same problem...the other day when I started tidying up the wiring I made a statement that "nobody will want to see pics of wiring" - they did! Yesterday, I posted a couple of pics of the fan of turnouts going into one side of the FY. I thought people would think "oh no, not more bl***y turnouts" ... the post got a "Popular". So... I have a theory...

There are about 17000 members of RMweb. of these, only about 3000 have made more than 10 posts, 1000 more than 200 posts, 500 more than 500 posts and about 200 more than 1000 posts. So the vast majority of people are on here as passive viewers - many are probably looking for ideas and a hell of a lot want to see step-by-step "guides" showing how to do it. I sometimes feel guilty about apparently trivial posts, but a lot of people want to see this - including ME!

So carry on - I've got some buildings to construct next year, so the more you show, the better!

Jeff

Jeff

Couldn't agree with you more, many posters do a great job of in depth tuition, with up to date information & we the audience get a chance to ask questions, dig deeper, offer suggestions relevant to every move you make on your model, cant do that with a book or a video.

You teach, we learn, we ask questions, our posts go up with our knowledge & one day maybe I will be able to answer someone's question (of course there will be someone who knows better) so we ask more questions.

Cheers, billyb

• RMweb Premium

I agree too; just about everything I have done on my layout was new to me, outside my comfort zone and with a different mindset to what I had before and without the advice, guidance and help on here, I would probably have stuck with Peco, Skaledale and built another layout that was a long way from being anything like realistic.

When you think about it, this forum includes members who are (or were) railway workers, professional modellers, authors of books on the subject of both real and model railways and quite a few who have written for that bible of modelling (in my opinion), MRJ. All are more than happy to advise those of us who are just starting out or striving to improve, always in a friendly manner and never with any sense of superiority.

I bought the Hornby Mag Yearbook the other day and whilst it is an ok read, the advice given in it isn't a patch to what you can get on here, for free, and more than likely as part of a friendly and often amusing conversation, complete with anecdotes.

So to the Larry's, Gordon's, Stationmaster Mikes, Brian Harrap's, Jim S-W's, Old Luggers and Dudders, Beasts (that one doesn't sound right when written like that ;) ), Gravy Trains, Il Ditorres, and all the others out there, we owe you a huge thank you.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Couldn't agree with you more, many posters do a great job of in depth tuition, with up to date information & we the audience get a chance to ask questions, dig deeper, offer suggestions relevant to every move you make on your model, cant do that with a book or a video.

You teach, we learn, we ask questions, our posts go up with our knowledge & one day maybe I will be able to answer someone's question (of course there will be someone who knows better) so we ask more questions.

Cheers, billyb

And a very important point Billy. You ask questions, we try to answer them and WE learn at the same time. I learn new things every day on here and it's wonderful. And, as you say, much better than any book or video. The more questions/suggestions get made the better. I know only a few of the answers - often from my own perspective. What you get here is an answer and, very often, different ways to a solution.

How can that be beaten?

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman