RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, I was chatting to someone at work earlier and telling them that regardless of the fact that I moved away 15 years ago, I still consider Storth (near Arnside) to be home and always will do.

I'm still fascinated with the Furness Railway as well. One day, I'll build something 'Furness'; I was looking at Arnside signalbox for a bit too long the other day, it had me tempted to scratchbuild it !!!

• RMweb Premium

I expect that signalbox to be built and ready by the end of the month, Jason!

Btw, just ordered an 8F. Couldn't resist any longer! I'll need to get some decoders for it and the B17 I've ordered. Great stuff!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Yes! That looks like a lovely little shunter with lots of character. You are probably like me - there aren't many things I REALLY want, so if you see something like that - GET IT!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Problem is, there are many things I want but only a few that I need, although I am maybe lucky in that I prefer smaller engines and freight ones to Pacifics, etc., e.g. I prefer the kind of classes that might actually have got to Bacup. On the list for 2013 are the L&Y Class 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Class_5) with a Bachmann one on order from Hattons and a London Road kit to start, an Austerity 2-8-0 (also on order), a 4F (probably the Bachmann one, possibly the Hornby one and I really should start the chassis kit for my Airfix tender drive one) and that's it at the moment.

Of course, others will tempt me.

• RMweb Premium

That's a good list. I don't think WDs went over the S&C on a regular basis, though I'd like someone to tell me otherwise.

After not a single loco this year, I'll make up for it in 2013!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Good to hear you have the 8F and B17 on there way to you, Like you I would love a reason for a WD but I missed out last time they were around, which is probably a good thing as the new one will be DCC ready.

Jason seems 4F'd up to the eyeballs, no bad thing they are a great little loco, I have the Hornby one but will almost certanly get the Bachhy one when it come out if the reviews are good.

Have a good weekend, catch up again later.

Andy. 

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy.

I've changed my approach to loco buying over the years. I tend to buy themed locos and the S&C layout provides a lot of scope. But there are so many superb models out there that it's hard to resist! In his BRM review, Tony Wright described the B17 as the best OO loco he'd seen this year. Since I wanted one anyway, it was an easy choice.

I don't know how you manage modelling in OO, O and now N gauge! Too much to buy!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I only have the one at the moment Andy, and although it is weathered and renumbered (albeit as a Workington loco), it is a non-runner. I have the Comet chassis kit, wheels, motor and gearbox but want to get a proper jig before building it. I know the Bachmann body will always be much finer detailed than the Airfix one but it looks ok to me and if I can get it running ok, it will give me the confidence to tackle the L&Y kit (2-4-2, scary).

I have built one etched brass kit, a Judith Edge 'Thomas Hill Vanguard' which went well but uses a Black Beetle so no chassis tinkering required. I plan to bring that to Jeff's open day (:D) and run it on whatever turns up :)

On that note, I opened up Templot today for the first time in ages and found that I had mapped up a small(ish - 8') shunting layout which for some reason I had set out in EM gauge. What was I thinking? Is this a weird preminition of something to bring to Jeff's exhibition?

• RMweb Premium

If you can build a shunting layout of that size, you are welcome to bring it! It would sit nicely in the kitchen. Make it DCC and bring a controller and a loco or two. Sounds good.....

Don't worry - I'm looking forward to this...IT WILL happen at some stage in 2013!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Nice one! We're only 80 miles fron the border!

I remember - years ago when I was at uni - a lady in Leeds said I had "a lovely Scottish accent"!! Cumbrian is a bit different!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Had a chuckle at this, my first ever trip south of the border (16 May 1965) was to Carlisle with my cousin and his pal, we were going to visit Kingmoor & Upperby. Now I was, and still am a 'fussy eater' so no ready made sandwiches for me I'm afraid, anyway we went to a little shop near Kingmoor and I asked for " 2oz of cooked ham and two rolls please" the lady replied " sorry son, we don't have any rolls" in her finest Cumbrian dialect. I pointed at a shelf full of them and said "there's rolls there", she replied with a stern rebuke " no son, them are tea-cakes"...  Anyway they tasted like rolls and my point is; she did not sound anything like north of the border to me!

I still have the list of loco's seen at 12A and 12B on that day... It fair brings a tear ta' ma' eyes as I'm looking at them now.

As a favour would you mind me asking the Lunesiders if anyone has a floorplan of the (No3 Small) station buildings found on the S&C, I would like to get Dent accurate as possible.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mike61680

• RMweb Premium

Mike - NO FAVOURS REQUIRED...

We have a rule on this thread - if it's helpful/interesting/relevant in the wider sense....ASK AWAY! The Lunesters are sensible and "hijacks" - what are they? C'mon laddie you are modelling Dent in P4 - ASK WHAT YOU LIKE!

Thanks for the anecdote. I think the lady in Leeds that I referred to earlier had never heard anyone outside of Yorkshire!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago, a few mates and I were on an alcohol-fuelled holiday in Newquay and on the first night, we got chatting to these women from Huddersfield. They were totally convinced that I too was from Huddersfield, despite me telling them over and over again that I was from Cumbria (although admittedly I do have more of a North Lancashire accent). They kept asking me why I was lying about where I came from :D

Many years ago, a few mates and I were on an alcohol-fuelled holiday in Newquay and on the first night, we got chatting to these women from Huddersfield. They were totally convinced that I too was from Huddersfield, despite me telling them over and over again that I was from Cumbria (although admittedly I do have more of a North Lancashire accent). They kept asking me why I was lying about where I came from :D

Despite my VERY STONG Devon Accent, people around here think I am a Cockney.

I;ve come to the conclusion that anyone North of Plymouth is WEIRD

Loo Nee 2

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think Marsden Rail DVD No 27 Settle and Carlisle  has some clips of Austerities on the S&C.

At the moment I cannot lay my hands on my copy to check, but perhaps someone else wil know.

David

• RMweb Premium
I think Marsden Rail DVD No 27 Settle and Carlisle  has some clips of Austerities on the S&C. At the moment I cannot lay my hands on my copy to check, but perhaps someone else wil know. David

Thanks very much for the info Dave. If you get any kind of confirmation that will be great!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jason and Loo Knee - oops, sorry Andy - you make me laugh!

Good job I can't hear you two via the Forum!

So - do either of you know if Austeritys ran on the S&C?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

DaveF's memory is spot on, as Marsden Rail 27 does indeed include Austerities; I just checked via Google.

"Early diesel classes such as 'Peaks', Sulzer Type 2s and diesel railcars are shown, but it is the sight and sounds of the steam locomotives in the form of Black 5s, Jubilees, Britannias, 9Fs, plus the occasional 'Crab', Austerity 2-8-0 and 4F hard at work on passenger and freight at a wide variety of locations between Hellifield and Carlisle, that make this programme a fascinating visual record."

So it looks like your list of motive power purchases may be on the increase. Sounds like a video worth looking out for as well.

http://www.videoscene.co.uk/marsden-rail-27-over-the-settle-and-carlisle.html

• RMweb Gold

More Austerities on the S&C.

There are photos in "Settle and Carlisle Steam Finale", Michael Welch published by Runpast.

Photos are:

WD 90243 northbound Covhops at Dent, 5th June 1966.  The loco spent most of its life  at two sheds, Wakefield and Royston after a spell on the Western Region.

WD 90464 on sheeted anhydrite wagons heading south approaching Aisgill, 15th September 1959.  It was one of the batch purchased by the LNER and spent much of its time shedded at Thornton Junction and then St Margarets.  Later it moved to Sutton Oak shed near St Helens.

Hope this is some use.

David

Jason and Loo Knee - oops, sorry Andy - you make me laugh!

Good job I can't hear you two via the Forum!

So - do either of you know if Austeritys ran on the S&C?

Jeff

Hi Jeff I am on the clip that George put on Trebudoc, the first clip of me doing his scenics. Its no wonder they wouldn't let me sing in the BAND, ha ha ha

Loo nee leaning lefty,   whops fell over, S****

Jason, Don't mention the Crabs, JEFF will be rushing off to hospital.

I up on my feet again now, so you can stop worrying about me.

I did manage some work on T last night, but I am slowly slowly getting back into it.

Andy.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

The S&C had a rich miscellany of loco classes to be seen, hence my decision (long belated) to model it. I have been compiling a list of loco's seen on the route (taken from various video/DVD). Certainly Austerities ran, at a quick glance - (90306 BURTON-GLASGOW Class 'F' freght) and to add a bit of flavour there were workings (special and regular) by A1, A3, A4, V2. Also the WCML diversions brought yet more such as Duchesses.

I have one Bachmann Austerity which has ceased to operate, another little job to do.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Dave and Jason... Thanks for your comments on the WDs. I've not seen the DVD, but I have a copy of the book that Dave referred to! So I'll have a look at that when I get home.

It's a splendid list of motive power!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman