Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hey Andy - take it easy.... We don't want you falling over and damaging yourself or T!!

I'll be back home at the weekend so I can lay the final bit of track in the fiddle yard. Plenty of stuff to do!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Nice list Peter - especially as I've already got most of them! Only the WD and Clan to procure. Maybe only one Clan and a couple more Brits I think.

I'm certain to add some of those "guest visitors" that Mike has referred to.

I think we're very lucky with the variety of stock we can use here.

Cheers - any further ideas welcome.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff, I am looking forward to seeing more track pics, it seems like ages since we saw some track and wiring pics,(many many pages ago) and I am especially looking forward to seeing some pics of the 9f and 01 crossing the Viaduct, safe modelling and catch up again laters.

All the best, and have a Safe journey home, Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry Peter - a 4F or two (new Bachmann variety) are already on the list!

Thanks Andy. I've got the branchline fiddle yard bit to fit - a couple of day's work. Only problem is I need another 3 Cobalt motors.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Don't worry Peter - a 4F or two (new Bachmann variety) are already on the list!

Thanks Andy. I've got the branchline fiddle yard bit to fit - a couple of day's work. Only problem is I need another 3 Cobalt motors.

Jeff

3 more Cobolts? that means 9 more wires and more HEAD BANGING under the baseboard. and ALSO more COFFEE, hahahahahah heheheeee,

Never mind it will soon be Christmas (only 52 weeks) and you can have another break from modelling.

Out with the Iron,and get under those boards, thats what I say.

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's actually more than three wires, but you know how much I LOVE wiring!! It's actually quite enjoyable, provided you're not doing it for hour after hour!

As for coffee - I dread to think how many pints of the stuff I've drunk in the last week.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, also posted this pic on my thread but just to confirm that you made a good choice ordering an 8F, here is mine, 48062. It was shedded at Rose Grove so (handily for me) I don't need to renumber it although I did put the late crest on to replace the early crest it came with. It also has a Romford wheel on the front pony truck as they look a lot better than the Hornby ones. Weathering has been started but still to be airbrushed.

Nicer than a 9F? Oh yes :D :D :D

48062002.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, also posted this pic on my thread but just to confirm that you made a good choice ordering an 8F, here is mine, 48062. It was shedded at Rose Grove so (handily for me) I don't need to renumber it although I did put the late crest on to replace the early crest it came with. It also has a Romford wheel on the front pony truck as they look a lot better than the Hornby ones. Weathering has been started but still to be airbrushed.

Nicer than a 9F? Oh yes :D :D :D

Everybody: Oh, no it isn't.  :D  :D  :D   [tis the season....]

Hope you all had a good Christmas - lots of nice goodies in Christmas stockings, I see.

I now have a gentle hint to get some track down - Ratio GWR signals kit for the branchline came my way, yesterday, from daughter,    :sungum:  

Kids gone off shopping.  Time for ourselves (rmweb haha)

Good luck, Jeff, when you get home with so much do.  I'd start with the drinking-smiley05.gif

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave (Dah).

Quite a few comments... First, if you are fitting Cobalts, i'd invest in a Cobalt template. Or borrow one and make a copy. It's a bit of metal sheet with the fitting-holes marked for different gauges. I've found it invaluable - I always get the holes in the correct positions.

I am using 12mm ply for the baseboard top. I use a Dremel to drill the 4 holes that fix the Cobalt in place. I think I've used 1.5mm (could be 2mm) drill and I "waggle" it about a bit to give a bit of play for the screws to fit into. It can be awkward in some places, but a short handle posidrive (Philips) screwdriver has helped.

I always cut my actuator hole to be about 5mm wide and about a cm in the direction the actuator wire moves. A bit of plastikard can be cut to cover up the excess hole when the wire is working.

I've used SMP code 75 throughout. I'd never used code 75 before this. All modern stock runs well on it and I'd never go back to code 100 now.

Dave, I hope this helps in some way. Please ask again if it hasn't!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Polly!

I DO like the 8F - I'd like more than one - but I'll always love the 9F best!!

I'm looking forward to all the work ahead. Thanks to the Lunesters I've managed a year's work - on my target - in the last 6 months. So it'll be interesting to see how it goes in 2013.

And yes, I'll be down the shops tomorrow to replenish my stock of Colombian coffee!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Jeff,

For the period you're modelling I'd have 10 core locos:

x2 Peaks (Cl.45 variety)

x2 9Fs

x2 8Fs

x2 Black Fives

x1 Britannia

x1 Crab

Added to these:

BR Type 2 (Cl.25)

Clan

WD

Jubilee

Standard Cl.5

Eh, Peter?

Wot! No forties!?!

I thought this venerable class was quite a staple of this route!

Also, I've seen photographic evidence that those nice little Sulzers (class 26/27?) worked the line occasionally, presumably coming over from Carlisle ('borrowed' from a return Scottish working?). These last not a "core" diesel, I know but the EE type 4 - definitely!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave - I spent a lot of time messing around with the first couple of Cobalts I fitted. Don't try to be too precise with the actuator hole - just make it a decent size.

I'd also draw a couple of guidelines on the template showing where the stockrails are. I did this in pencil and it helps with lining-up. The DCC Concepts website is also useful.

I'm sure you know all this stuff already!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

From Stephen Rabone's website, I have the following list of passenger locos:

43022 4F (Ivatt)     43112 4F (Ivatt)             44701 Black 5     44727 Black 5     44746 Black 5   Caprotti/Roller Bearings 44753 Black 5   Caprotti/Roller Bearings 44804 Black 5     44817 Black 5     44854 Black 5     44859 Black 5     44861 Black 5     45012 Black 5     45022 Black 5     45081 Black 5     45118 Black 5     45122 Black 5     45279 Black 5     45458 Black 5             45562 Jubilee Alberta   45564 Jubilee New South Wales   45568 Jubilee Western Australia   45573 Jubilee Newfoundland   45597 Jubilee Barbados   45605 Jubilee Cyprus   45608 Jubilee Gilbert and Ellice Islands   45619 Jubilee Nigeria   45640 Jubilee Frobisher   45657 Jubilee Tyrwhitt   45658 Jubilee Keyes   45659 Jubilee Drake   45673 Jubilee Kepple   45688 Jubilee Polyphemus   45693 Jubilee Agamemnon   45714 Jubilee Revenge   45720 Jubilee Indomitable   45723 Jubilee Fearless   45724 Jubilee Warspite   45729 Jubilee Furious   45731 Jubilee Perseverance   45732 Jubilee Sansparell   45734 Jubilee Meteor           46109 Royal Scot Royal Engineer   46113 Royal Scot Cameronian   46117 Royal Scot Welsh Guardsman   46128 Royal Scot The Lovat Scouts   46130 Royal Scot The West Yorkshire Regiment                   60038 A1 Firdaussi   60069 A3 Sceptre   60070 A3 Gladiateur   60072 A3 Sunstar   60077 A3 The White Knight   60080 A3 Dick Turpin   60082 A3 Neil Gow   60088 A1 Book Law   60089 A1 Felstead   60092 A1 Fairway           61198 B1             70014 7P6F Britannia Iron Duke   70044 7P6F Britannia Earl Haig   70053 7P6F Britannia Moray Firth   73101 Standard 5 Unnamed   73142 Standard 5 Unnamed   73168 Standard 5 Unnamed   73171 Standard 5 Unnamed

I haven't gone through the goods trains or the register book, but would suspect that there would have been a few 8F's and 9F's in the list :)

James

• Like 2

Hi Jeff,

If you wish, when I have compiled a bit more of my list I can forward a copy to you, it will where possible:

Identify:

Loco class

Loco No.

Train class

Working

and any other odd info I can get my hands on. I only do it because someone will say 'that never ran on the S&C' and I can show proof positive that it did. I'm such a nark!!

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the list, James. I've a couple of those locos (as models!!) in my collection.

Mike - I'm certainly not going to complain if you send me a copy! I can see that I'll end up running "officially sanctioned" locos on any photos posted here, and applying "sod it - Rule 1" when I'm playing, skdry - on my own!

Looks like pistols at dawn for Peter and John!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear the banter continuing - and not a hint of Andy!!

I'm guessing he's hard at work on Trebudoc.

I may have been unable to do any modelling over the last week, but I MUST thank the Lunesters and new contributors for inspiring me - already - for the coming year.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Good to hear the banter continuing - and not a hint of Andy!!

I'm guessing he's hard at work on Trebudoc.

I may have been unable to do any modelling over the last week, but I MUST thank the Lunesters and new contributors for inspiring me - already - for the coming year.

Jeff

I am lurking in the undergroth, NOT JEFFS OBVIOUSLY, COS HE ANT GOT NONE, and keeping an eye on the humour, wonderful stuff.

WOT 2 X 40 thats an EIGHTY in it guv.

Brill, Andy.

p.s. are both 40's with sound Jeff?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

I've ordered a D211 "Mauretania" with sound and the other new green 40 without sound.

Hopefully, there'll be some undergrowth by the summer - which reminds me - I'll get myself a static grass applicator at some stage. What are you going to say when I've put some grass down, Andy? Ha ha!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff and fellow Lunesters

I had some time free this afternoon while my chocolate-crazed grandaughters were out invading Lancaster with their parents, so I had a play with an official logo for the Lunesters. After all this thread is as much a social event in addition to offering some excellent modelling advice. I hope you guys will let me have your opinions, etc (but not too rude please). After all if you're going to be a Lunester you should have a badge! :)

post-14791-0-35212000-1356753288.jpg

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Now I know what you do in the middle of the night!!! 

Very good, Bill.... I like it very much - so long as that's not supposed to be me in the picture!

Great idea - a lovely bit of fun!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff