Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Michael. Always good to keep an eye on Andy - he hasn't been around today since I told him his wife had offered all his locos to me at half-price!! Lol.

Come to think of it, t'other Andy (uax6) has gone AWOL too. Hope it's not that blasted virus again - last time it was killing people's tracklaying, now it's just killing the people!

Hope you get some more work done on your 009 layout over the hols. Try not to walk into doors though! :no:

Jeff

Not gone AWOL with the bugs, just been to France for Christmas with the inlaws. Got some nice MR clayton and bain bogies for the stock I'm bashing. With nice food (was treated to a visit to an almost Michelin starred resturant for Xmas eve!) and good company it was nice. Now back at work... 12hrs today and tomorrow!

Got some old gold painted on some clear sheet for the sleeper, and will hopefully finish the side on my Clayton brake compo today.

That portal is comming on nicely Jeff, just need to raise the two ends of the slope to allow the top coper to stand talled and above the slope down bit....

Now serious question here, as i know lots of you lot have lots of locos....

Does Hornby do a loco with a leading (or trailing) bogie with a 6foot wheelbase (24mm) with pick-ups on it? The M7 is a little long (about 28-30mm) and i need one for loco project.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Bill, I have to admit that I've not given any thought to the coach stock - aside from using my supply of Bachmann Mk Is, which I seem to have loads of.

I'm a bit ignorant in this respect, so you'll have to educate me!

Jeff

Jeff,

Coaching stock is an interesting one for the S&C at your date! I can laydown any acuracy to the dates involoved but from the book that I am currebntly reading (The Midland Railway North of Leeds by PE Baughan, get a copy very good info on the S&C) from the plates in the middle I can see:

1954: Bradford FS to Hawes had 2-62T 41206 with 3 car set made up looking like brake 3rd (LMS P1 non gangwayed), LMS P1 toilet compo non gangwayed (did they have toileted compos?) and a P3 stanier brake 3rd non gangway.

1963: Jubliee 45705 Seahorse with 0805 to Hellifield from Carlisle has a Gresley Brake at the head. Can't see much detail of these to tell what class it is, but it has at least 4 big windows on the corridor side (two with top vents).

I would get some P3 staniers, some portholes, some Mk1's some gresleys, some P1 and P2 Lms stock and some LNWR/MR coaches.

Search the titlerweb for photos of the period and send links to Larry or me and i'm sure we can get a good list for you!

Update: MR Compo brake now has two full sides, just need to fill etc, and sort the modified ends out (modified to take gangways), do underframe, roof etc. Should be done by Christmas 2013!

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I now have an oficial LUNESTER BADGE as my screen saver courtsy of Bill.

Yes I know it's 04.28 in the morning but one of our dogs wanted to go out and I could not get back to sleep so I thought I would see  what you have been up to.

Cheers Andy.

It must be catching, Andy. I went to bed at midnight, couldn't sleep and was reading from 1 to 4am. Just missed your message!

Since I've resurrected the track bus on the old layout - temporarily - I'm going to run a few locos round the track for an hour or so. A lot of the scenic stuff on that layout has been ripped out, so it's not a pretty sight.

Come the new year it'll be full steam ahead...

Jeff

What is it with us lot?  Having finally got some traction back in my system to power me out of a ten day chest infection, I found that I was awake from midnight until 0400 this morning too.  Hence some rather curious contributions on RMWeb...

I'm now going to reprise some of the past ten pages' highlights to give myself a much needed K-U-T-A.  What I'm not quite ready braced for is the temperature of the garage for long periods. Which suggests I may have to bring that viaduct of mine back indoors....

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy (uax6 version!) - welcome back!

Thanks for the coach info. It's something I'll need to look into when I get all the other stuff sorted out. Don't worry, I'll not forget - it's a bit pointless taking care of detail on other things and then running Maunsells behind a Jubilee.... :O

The portal needs a bit more work, but I'm continuing my break until Wednesday - when I need to get the last track down, order 4 more Cobalts, get some more acrylics.....

Have fun in the box!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

What is it with us lot?  Having finally got some traction back in my system to power me out of a ten day chest infection, I found that I was awake from midnight until 0400 this morning too.  Hence some rather curious contributions on RMWeb...

I'm now going to reprise some of the past ten pages' highlights to give myself a much needed K-U-T-A.  What I'm not quite ready braced for is the temperature of the garage for long periods. Which suggests I may have to bring that viaduct of mine back indoors....

Sounds like we're all very much alike in more ways than we think!!

I built the tunnel portal in the warmth of the kitchen, but I'll have to go into the bunker to fix the track etc. Not too bad if it stays mild outside. Heaters on and I'll reach the heady heights of 15C!

I'm glad you're recovering. Hope you can find something of interest on here - not a lot of modelling since December 20, but plenty of relevant discussion. And did I hear mention of the VIADUCT!!!? Tremendous!

Good luck with that. Now I'll have to investigate these "odd" posts you claim to have written in your delirious state!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I was up at 5am so not as bad as you guys, and my 'insomnia' was caused by rich food, beer and single malt. I've been busy on the layout ever since :)

Stop showing off - you are making me feel guilty!! :no:

I'm pandering to my reading indulgence at the moment, but I'll take a look and see what you've done.

I ate far too much food at my dad's, so there'll be less of that from now on - New Year resolution number 1...

Jeff

1954: Bradford FS to Hawes had 2-62T 41206 with 3 car set made up looking like brake 3rd (LMS P1 non gangwayed), LMS P1 toilet compo non gangwayed (did they have toileted compos?) and a P3 stanier brake 3rd non gangway.

Sounds like a standard 'Inter-District' Lavatory set. For the S&C these would have been Midland Railway sets originally but you can ignore them for the date of your Kirby Luneside. Ex. LMS sets would have been used. By BR days later-built coaches would also be in the sets, hence the mix of Period I and II lavatory stock plus Period III non-lavatory coaches.

As regards RTR models, the LMS lavatory Brake Second and Lavatory Composite are done by Dapol. They are elderly mouldings and not altogether accurate since being re-released...but they are better than now't and very innexpensive. You could form a 3-coach inter-district set. Ordinarry RTR non-corridor LMS stock is still awaited!

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a standard 'Inter-District' Lavatory set. For the S&C these would have been Midland Railway sets originally but you can ignore them for the date of your Kirby Luneside. Ex. LMS sets would have been used. By BR days later-built coaches would also be in the sets, hence the mix of Period I and II lavatory stock plus Period III non-lavatory coaches.

As regards RTR models, the LMS lavatory Brake Second and Lavatory Composite are done by Dapol. They are elderly mouldings and not altogether accurate since being re-released...but they are better than now't and very innexpensive. You could form a 3-coach inter-district set. Ordinarry RTR non-corridor LMS stock is still awaited!

Blimey Larry!! I've heard of the Orient Express.... but the "Lavatory Express"??!!

Suitable for those suffering from diarrhoea, I suppose!  :O  :jester:

You learn all sorts of crap stuff on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And as the Dapol coaches are available as kits you could do them yourself even cheaper! I'm sure that for £20 you could get your 3car set!

Jeff - there is a whole new world of kit building rolling stock awaiting you.... (unless you contract it out to some of the suckers on here! :no: )

Given up modelling to day, seem to have lost direction, and am waiting for paint to dry so that I can complete the sleeper.... Back to the book (As referenced above)...

Andy G

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Larry!! I've heard of the Orient Express.... but the "Lavatory Express"??!!

Suitable for those suffering from diarrhoea, I suppose!  :O  :jester:

You learn all sorts of crap stuff on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

That's why we like it Jeff.

Coaching stock is more fascinating than locos! I can send you some coaching stock scans if you wish..... ;-}

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

You are probably right, Andy.... I can be "Coachmann mark III"! Not.

I'd probably be interested but there's so much stuff to do ahead of that. I'm really looking forward to building the station-stuff now. Inspiration has been provided by Andy/George on Trebudoc and Mike on Dent Station. If you haven't checked these out, have a good look. It's great stuff!!

Jeff

Jeff, wheres your NEW AVATAR, of the Lunesters?

Signed, = who else would ask such a STUPID QUESTION. hahahha Loooony Lunester.

I think I'm going to have to do a special edition for Jeff with BOSS in big gold letters. Meanwhile I'm having thoughts in the direction of The TrebuDoctor and a CocoNutters logo for Jason. See! This is what happens when you stay up all night!

Thanks for the coach info gents. It's not really my strongpoint either so I usually stick to Stanier and Mk.1 stock. The Dapol kits can be much improved by replacing that uber-thick glazing with  flush-glaze but do any of you have any info about the Brake roof which I understand is incorrect for this vehicle?

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Ok, as a bit of fun, in this, my 2500th post.... I'll give you a few statistics.

Not rail-related, but Lunester relevant.

I've been sad enough to spend the last couple of hours going through the thread doing some totals. Upto and including post 2700 here are the main loony-Lunester posters:

We have 3 centurions.... AndyP  194,   Rowsley17D (Jonathan)  105   and  Sandside (Jason)  105

We have a few half-centurions ...  uax6 (Andy)  99,  Stationmaster (Mike)  91,   Coachmann (Larry)  91,  robmcg (Robbie)  69,  MichaelW  63,  Western Sunset (Peter)  60

And some "near-misses"...  GordonS  47,   Mythocentric (Bill)  46   and Jukebox (Scott)  42

So Bill, I hope you've got a few special badges for this lot!!

I hope the thread achieves as much in 2013 as it has since I started it in March 2012!

Cheers to all of you!

Jeff (King Lunester  :O  :jester:  :sungum: )

• Like 3

Hee Hee Hee! Nice work Jeff and congrats on your 2,500th post. I'm sure I could come up with some suitable rosettes. Perhaps Andy P could spare some of his 6 inch nails to pin then on! Who knows? RMWeb today....tomorrow the World! (Que evil laughter!)

Let the show go on

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Looking back, I see I was the third poster on the thread, including your good self, when I asked "Is the name a play on Kirkby Lonsdale by any chance (which, of course, is on the River Lune)"

With that in mind, I've just done a Google Images search for photos of Kirkby Lonsdale station and other than a couple of shots of the station building as it is now, there's nothing. I think, with all the books on Cumbria's railways that I own, I have only ever seen a couple of shots of Kirkby Lonsdale station so with hindsight, modelling it may have been a bit trickier than the much better publicised S&C.

• RMweb Premium

The amazing thing is how much has been packed into this thread in nine-and-a-half months. I'm not just referring to what I have actually done: finished the garage conversion/subframe/viaducts/baseboard risers and tops/track/electrics etc. That's only the "mechanics" of the thread. Yes, I know that's what we're supposed to put in these threads. But to me, the other stuff has been worth so much more...

The humour/the camaraderie/the sense of inspiration that I've received/the KNOWLEDGE you lot have given me. I think we've helped each other and that's great.

Plenty of ongoing, excellent projects. Here on KL, lots to do. Mike's Dent Station. Jason's masterpiece at Bacup. Michael's 009 project. Bill at Hemyock. Bill with his artistry, Andy with his coaches, Gordon with Eastwood Town, Jonathan - with his planned loft-based Midland panorama. Larry with Greenfield, and plenty more... And, of course, master loonster himself, AndyP with his O, OO and N gauge projects...

Btw, John (Allegheny) - you're total is 27 upto post 2700. So you have contributed something!!

Hey, maybe by the end of 2013 we'll all have some trains running. Isn't that the idea? Lol.

Jeff

• Like 2

How have I got to 194 posts, :O  whoops sorry NOW 195 :no:  without ONE constructive comment :stinker:  I should have been banned from here a long long LONG time ago.

Will I get a Knighthood for my Gold Medal, whoops, here I go again.

LOOOOOOONY A

P.S. Their actually is an Andy P on the Web but I looked at 04.00 am this morning (yes sad I know) and he hasn't actually made any posts so call me anythig, except STUPID, he he he.