Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Closest thing to an online model railway club going in fact! I imagine Andy Y would be quite pleased; indeed I expect at some point he will be inducted (induced) into the Lunesters merry band of reprobates.

I think this is quite true as there is a good mix of characters on here, I'm the quiet one with a smile on his face listening to all the witty banter.

Good to know you are back in the bunker Jeff and that the hills are calling to you, I expect they will put in an appearance sooner than you expect. Still not much happening my end and the wife is now talking about decorating, I can't seem to convince her it is more important to paint railway stuff instead of walls and woodwork. Oh well, might as well accept it and get it out the way.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I think this is quite true as there is a good mix of characters on here, I'm the quiet one with a smile on his face listening to all the witty banter.

Good to know you are back in the bunker Jeff and that the hills are calling to you, I expect they will put in an appearance sooner than you expect. Still not much happening my end and the wife is now talking about decorating, I can't seem to convince her it is more important to paint railway stuff instead of walls and woodwork. Oh well, might as well accept it and get it out the way.

Jim

I think you'll be right about the hills. Since it involves more woodwork and plaster - it's hard to resist.... I should defer it 'til Easter. Ok then, mid-February, as a compromise!

As for the witty banter? Sir Loony Loon needs to put in another appearance (AndyP, for those that don't know).

Target for the weekend: Get the branch/fiddle yard track down, fit the 2 Cobalts I have in stock and wire up.

After that: test the control panel I made before Christmas.

End of next week (credit card date!) - go and buy the wire for the track bus.

There is, however, a BIG problem. The last (book 14) of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" is released on Tuesday next week. That needs to be read....

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

I've chosen to use Cobalt's for the first time on Dent, and will look forward to your progress especially the electrics. Are you familiar with them or are you too a virgin?

Cheers

Mike

At least it wasn't Dad's Army, 'Allo 'Allo' or Fawlty Towers - The Germans!!

I think there's a lot of brilliant HO modelling. Pity those HO figures are a bit short. Actually, to scale, they're about my height! It'll be interesting to see what John (Allegheny) comes up with.

In the meantime, there are a few active S&C, O gauge and super-scratchbuild projects to keep an eye on. When I've painted my tunnel portal I'll be desperate to start building hillsides. I must resist!

Jeff

And talking of HO Modelling, well last night I was watching Michael Portillos, Bradshaws Guid to continental Railway Journeys, and it was in Switzerland, that took me back to the days when I modelled in HO German, Swiss and Austrian railways and they are so colourfull and clean. That got me looking at Brawa and Bemo HO e and HO m, a nice little Swiss layout with some wonderfull scenic opertunities and just think of the Viaducts, wow I need to measure my Den again, lets see just what room I have left, hahahhaha.

What do you mean the HO Figures are about your height, I thought by the picture OF YOU on your Avatar that you were a GIANT, heheheheh

Back again sooooooooon

Your most obedient servant Sir,         Looooooooooooooony Lunester  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I've chosen to use Cobalt's for the first time on Dent, and will look forward to your progress especially the electrics. Are you familiar with them or are you too a virgin?

Cheers

Mike

Evening Mike,

I'd never used Cobalts before the present project. So far I've fitted 36, with 4 more to go. There are various references to this from page 40ish onwards. I know you don't need to look at this stuff, but posts 2148 and 2167 show the way I've wired them. Post 2149 has a wiring diagram - mainly for those who don't know how to wire electrofrogs through turnout polarity switching.

I've found the Cobalts work best at about 9V DC, applied to connections 1 and 8. One out of 36 has been replaced because it suffered from "clicking" - the first models sometimes had loose gearing.

I haven't connected them up to the track bus yet (because it's not yet fitted). 

I could have used Tortoises, but the more compact nature of the Cobalt appealed to me.

When you are fitting them, make the actuator hole a decent size (I used 5mm x 10mm, longer dimension in the direction of throw). I also used a DCC Concepts template to locate the drilling positions for the fixing screws - it's proved easy after the first couple.

Sorry to woffle on!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike, further info....

Post 1535 might be a useful photo to look at. I used DPDT switches (cheapish from Rapid), as per one of the circuit diagrams on the DCC Concepts website (page 9 of the online Cobalt manual).

Page 91, post 2267, shows the completed panel for point blade switching. Each turnout has its own switch, but I've paired crossovers together so that out of 40 turnouts, about 26 are in 13 pairs, controlled by one switch only.

Sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

And talking of HO Modelling, well last night I was watching Michael Portillos, Bradshaws Guid to continental Railway Journeys, and it was in Switzerland, that took me back to the days when I modelled in HO German, Swiss and Austrian railways and they are so colourfull and clean. That got me looking at Brawa and Bemo HO e and HO m, a nice little Swiss layout with some wonderfull scenic opertunities and just think of the Viaducts, wow I need to measure my Den again, lets see just what room I have left, hahahhaha.

What do you mean the HO Figures are about your height, I thought by the picture OF YOU on your Avatar that you were a GIANT, heheheheh

Back again sooooooooon

Your most obedient servant Sir,         Looooooooooooooony Lunester  

Andy - my most obedient servant. YOU'RE FIRED!!

I'm 5'6". Most of those 1:87 figures equate to about my height in OO scale.....

You had me worried for a mo. I thought you were going to tell me you were now building an HO layout, in addition to the OO, O and N ones you are working on!! Could be a good excuse to evict your wife to the coal-shed!!  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

Your enthusiasm is infectious, I finally cut the hole in the storage yard baseboard today and installed the Fleischmann turntable, a job I have been meaning to do for many months.

Ian

Thanks Ian. And this is the QUIET time of the year when we're trying to recover our enthusiasm!!! What'll it be like in a month or so's time?!!

Post some pics of your work....

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Post some pics of your work....

Jeff

What of, a hole in the baseboard with a turntable sitting in it!!!!!

To be honest I am a bit reluctant this time to put much on RMweb as I have already started 3 threads only to find my ambition exceeded the space I had and my abilities, so not sure if I want egg on my face again.

Ian

To be honest I am a bit reluctant this time to put much on RMweb as I have already started 3 threads only to find my ambition exceeded the space I had and my abilities, so not sure if I want egg on my face again.

Ian

Hi Ian,

That never stopped me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha, ha, ha - go for it and more power to your elbow, Sir!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Ian

Fair enough. I lurked for a couple of years before I joined the Forum. During that time I'd done 80% of the garage conversion, so when I started the KL thread I had enough material to fill a couple of pages. I was still a bit worried about posting a trackplan etc, but the experts on here were fantastic and (especially) Mike - The Stationmaster - encouraged me to be as prototypical as possible. You'll see a much better trackplan by page 60 than on page 5!

I was also amazed that I was actually showing new ideas to some people whose layouts and skills I thought were way beyond me.

I've made a number of mistakes in public. I don't care now, because the posters on this thread and elsewhere have become friends and are very supportive. It works for them, as well.

And I'm sure your hole was a very pretty hole!! Lol.  :sungum:

Jeff

Hi Ian,

That never stopped me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha, ha, ha - go for it and more power to your elbow, Sir!

Cheers,

John E.

NOTHING stops you, John!!

And true, it didn't!

• Like 2

Evening Mike,

I'd never used Cobalts before the present project. So far I've fitted 36, with 4 more to go. There are various references to this from page 40ish onwards. I know you don't need to look at this stuff, but posts 2148 and 2167 show the way I've wired them. Post 2149 has a wiring diagram - mainly for those who don't know how to wire electrofrogs through turnout polarity switching.

I've found the Cobalts work best at about 9V DC, applied to connections 1 and 8. One out of 36 has been replaced because it suffered from "clicking" - the first models sometimes had loose gearing.

I haven't connected them up to the track bus yet (because it's not yet fitted). 

I could have used Tortoises, but the more compact nature of the Cobalt appealed to me.

When you are fitting them, make the actuator hole a decent size (I used 5mm x 10mm, longer dimension in the direction of throw). I also used a DCC Concepts template to locate the drilling positions for the fixing screws - it's proved easy after the first couple.

Sorry to woffle on!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Its not waffle my dear sir - its all valid material I assure you. I'll have a browse back over the weekend to enlighten the grey matter, many thanks.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

And so another day's modelling starts.  Let's see if I can get somewhere today. Everything seems to be going in slow motion at the moment - maybe because I'm only spending 2-3 hours in the bunker each day (since Thursday) rather than 10!

Maybe a cup of coffee will help.....

And Andy, if you look in.... how good is that (revised) video that George has posted? 

Jeff

Down that coffee and get back out there :O  and do some work, REMEMBER The Hills are alive to the sound of PVA, :no: hahhahah.

Georges new video is much better, I had a chat with him this morning and he is going to do one on the Signal Box on Trebudoc :sungum:  so that should be good, we intend to do a joint one :nono: when I go to his place the week after next week for a trial fit of the Buildings, that should be a LAUGH as we tend to take the P**** out of each other quite a bit :beee: . hahah. . 

As for slowing down, I have had difficulty getting back into it since Christmas, and I think re building an existing Layout is now proving more tiresome than building an Brand New Layout..I am working on the car repair workshop at the moment, fitting the benches, tools and a light inside, and then there is just the Coal Staiths to do untill I get the Station and Signal Box Buildings and make a start to paint them.

George has also ordered up the Station Signs as he had to order his for Abbotts Mead so I will have them to fit as well.

Catch up at the next COFFEE BREAK.

Andy.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just come in for the next coffee....I think I've soldered up one piece of track, drilled a few holes and slopped some PVA down. At this rate I might be finished tracklaying by Christmas!!!

Slow, but better than sitting on my backside looking at RMweb on the laptop all day!

Jeff

Just come in for the next coffee....I think I've soldered up one piece of track, drilled a few holes and slopped some PVA down. At this rate I might be finished tracklaying by Christmas!!!

Slow, but better than sitting on my backside looking at RMweb on the laptop all day!

Jeff

"Christmas" what's happened there with your last post, as it some how been misplaced & you really wrote it about 500 posts ago, it must have fallen down the back of the settee, rmweb have only just found it & slipped it in now

• RMweb Premium

"Christmas" what's happened there with your last post, as it some how been misplaced & you really wrote it about 500 posts ago, it must have fallen down the back of the settee, rmweb have only just found it & slipped it in now

Yes Billy, it looks that way. I was, of course, referring to getting the track finished by Christmas 2013...feels that way. On the other hand it's a nice feeling getting back into the swing of things.

There's always plenty to do, but it's fun! If I need an incentive I imagine a loco or two moving (hopefully) on the track in a few week's time...

Jeff

There's always plenty to do, but it's fun! If I need an incentive I imagine a loco or two moving (hopefully) on the track in a few week's time...

Jeff

Yes I think looking forward to seeing some movement of actual rolling stock drives many of us on, I seem to have spent the last 4 months planning and not even one bit of track on the boards yet but maybe next week.........

• RMweb Premium

Ian

Yes, please.  I'll have to do that sometime this year on the baseboard below - and you watch:  I can foresee all the point motors will just happen to sit cross the frame work   :nono:  (some jiggery pokery will no doubt be the order of day)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59402-great-west-road/?p=783008

Jeff

Methinks someone is having a wee dig at me, here on the sofa with cosy cushioned workstation and laptop.  (Yeah, yeah, if the railwary cap fits and all that....)  smiley_laptop.gif

You're progressing, well....rate doesn't matter.  It won't be long (yeah, yeah).before you're looking at it all that work you've done and marvelling at it.

Edited by southern42

Hi Mate, just had another catch up and it is really interesting, lots of positives. When you say trains running by Christmas 2013 do you mean on KL or your next project

I am off to my mate Jeff's (Binney on here, cos he looks like Binlarden, well he did as my mate is still alive I think :O , I will see tonight), :no: we are having a running session on his Burton North Layout, I am taking the 9F, B1, V2, and a pair of Patriots, one rebuilt and the other un rebuilt.

I may have a look when I get in tonight and probably have anoher page to read.

all the best Andy.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes I think looking forward to seeing some movement of actual rolling stock drives many of us on, I seem to have spent the last 4 months planning and not even one bit of track on the boards yet but maybe next week.........

Don't worry about that. I spent nearly 2 years planning the current layout, first on paper, then on Anyrail, before I joined the Forum. My "beautifully designed" plan lasted a few days once I started this thread. It was then refined and refined until it became prototypical S&C. Was that the end? No. When I scrapped the branch layout it was changed again - becoming even more S&C than before [the changes being due to the input from contributors (they weren't Lunesters then!) on here].

Eventually, nearly 3 years after the first plans were drafted, the track started to go down. That was in October. I'm about one day away from the last major piece of track being put in place - there are a number of headshunts, but they're not going to take much time.

Track planning can be frustrating, but it's also very enjoyable. One thing I would add is this - and I learned this as recently as a few months ago. The prototype is the way to go. Fictional plans can be entertaining, but when the "experts" (not me!) look at them they can pull them to pieces. The "real thing" may have existed for a hundred years or more, and probably solved the main problems, whether it's mainline, goods, branch etc. So why make it up when there's thousands of ready-made plans already built out there.

In a way, the worst part of the layout is when it's "finished".... as it's so enjoyable to design and build. Goodness, when it's finished, you have to run trains on it!!!! Yuk!!  :O  :O

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

holes in the ground-I think there was a chuck (the muddle engineer) cartoon which started out with him in a row house, and progressed through a semi-detached house, then a fully detached house, then a hole in the ground :)

(first thing which went through my head).  Thanks Terry Aspin !

Did a bit on LM last night, I'll post over there though, so it's not lonely on its own !

James

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly.

So you've been sat on your backside? good for you! You're always doing something, so you can justify a break. And some coffee!

Interesting comment about the point motors. One of the reasons I built a strong subframe and then added risers was to keep the point motors, and other electrics, away from any cross-members. It's inevitable that, with acres of space, the tiebar/point-motor position will lie atop a joist!!

Have fun with your laptop!!  :nono:

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

holes in the ground-I think there was a chuck (the muddle engineer) cartoon which started out with him in a row house, and progressed through a semi-detached house, then a fully detached house, then a hole in the ground :)

(first thing which went through my head).  Thanks Terry Aspin !

Did a bit on LM last night, I'll post over there though, so it's not lonely on its own !

James

Hi James.

You seem to be well-motivated as I often catch activity on Long Marton. Not that I understand all of it, particularly when you're having signal-talk with Beast!!

Amazing how evocative a hole in the ground can be!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman