Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Not an article, but my shed is featured and I get a mention. Progressed quite a bit with the cart shed in the last couple of days (deadlines do that to you) and as a result, I reckon that my dry-brushing technique has improved a bit. I am also thinking about incorporating a derelict building on Bacup as a result of the (yet to be finished) hole in the roof of the shed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris, the amazing thing is the range of colours. The best one I ever saw was from the North York Moors in the mid 90s. It went on for over 3 hours. Pale blues, greens and even a hint of red/orange. I suspect the red comes from the Hydrogen alpha emission, though the upper atmosphere contains so little of the element. when I drove home I went and got the neighbours out - it was still visible over the street lights.

There's enough storage in the branch for 2 trains up to a length of about 120cm. Without any interaction with the main, the branch can shuttle 3 different trains back and forth, including the one under power. With the link to the main, other combinations are easy with a bit of shunting/hand of God!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not an article, but my shed is featured and I get a mention. Progressed quite a bit with the cart shed in the last couple of days (deadlines do that to you) and as a result, I reckon that my dry-brushing technique has improved a bit. I am also thinking about incorporating a derelict building on Bacup as a result of the (yet to be finished) hole in the roof of the shed.

I've been getting BRM for the last 6 months, since it's RMweb-led revamp. So I'll certainly get a copy of the February issue and see what you've been upto with BCB!

Jeff

Hi Jeff and all,

Sorry to be quiet for a few days, trying to get 4 days work into two as I am away for a family funeral tomorrow.

Andy, I'm really really sorry to hear about your dog, our little 'Lola' gave us a horrible fright on New Years Eve, luckily the vet was open and gave her a magic injection!

Fiddle yard is coming on Jeff and I can see your changes make sense. Trust Andy to spot the lamp-vase!

The Black 5 is in Crewe Works condition don't you think! My very first kit was a 'K's Black 5, the body and tender looked great but I could not master the valve gear, it put me off for years - and still does to an extent. lack of proper tools at the time I'm afraid.

I managed to rebuild my 'Coal Road' bridge structure today and will post an update on Dent when I get back.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mike.

Best of luck for the funeral. They often turn into a celebration of the deceased, but I always approach them with dread.

I've got a 1000 page book to read, so I doubt that I'll be doing much modelling over the next few days. Well - maybe a bit of wiring!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

So I have a long weekend off work (and an extra freeday too) and you lot have added 6 pages.

Firstly Ian D, thanks for looking at your compound for me, still not quite right, and the lack of pick-ups will be a pain.

I've spent the weekend starting to put together some comet LMS P1 corridor Brake 3rd sides. I've been foiled by the fact that I'd left my razor saw in work, and so couldn't cut up my donor chassis. I then had a look at some MR bogies to make up and found that I'd left the top-hat bearings in work! So in the end I've not got much done (although I have serviced the van).

Yesterday the Postie brought my Birthday Book. LMS Architecture. It's an opc book from 1981, and cost £2 on Ebay. It's battered but the contents are superb! Theres lovely shots of stations, and there are lots of MR photos and drawings just waiting to be scanned and emailed to Jeff so that he can make them! MR things include: Appleby's footbridge (original construction drawing), Buildings in Settles goods yard (including cattle dock), MR lamphuts (for inclusion next to signalbox), LMS concrete privvy (for Signalman)...

Am I the youngest one on here? 35 and 6 days.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy - the goods yard pictures will be a well-received scan, especially the cattle dock.

I suspect you are close to the youngest - though whether anyone is willing to admit their age (if around the 35ish mark) is up to them!

And happy birthday for last Wednesday (2nd).....

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

That sounds a good scheme for operating the branch line fiddle yard.  What's on the plan for tomorrow?  Hope it turns out better than today did.

Andy, you have about 340 days on me, so you probably are...

• RMweb Premium

Well for the time being I'll bask in the glory ;-}

I'm guessing Jeff that you <may> rue the day when you see what you'll have to make..... ! I'll try and get them scanned today and into your inbox.

Whats this about not wanting to scratchbuild locos? One of my other ongoing projects (I have a locker full of them at the minute!) is a HR Clan class. It's built around a Tri-ang B12 chassis (with a modern M7 bogie (with pick-ups)). I've got as far as the footplate as I'm waiting for a lathe to come available to turn the boiler (out of some 25mm plastic electrical conduit). So far it looks pretty good, but I'm guessing that I have some hard times ahead with it, as getting weight into it could be a challenge, and I'm not confindent with using metals so it's plasticard all the way! The barrel will be full of lead, which hopefully won't put all the weight over the bogie and not the coupled wheels. Sadly until I can get the boiler turned it is on the back burner.

I looked at my lot list for coaches over the weekend too, 20 to make! I will be busy soon!

Andy G

Andy G, you are younger than me by a year and a bit.

I hope that the funeral goes as well as such events can.  Last one that I was at was one of our club members- William (Bill) Dryden, he'd have fitted in here as his modeling was based on Scotland (G&SW).  I think he was going to aim at 1900 or so, but still...

Metal isn't as hard as some make it out to be.  I'm quite confident on how I work with it, but sometimes plastic is easer to deal with. 

KL- the track plan is sounding good, Jeff. 

I've been downstairs earlier tonight, with both boys, and running trains.  (which reminds me...ah, Emily is 1012...now I have to go run Emily around & make sure it works...otherwise, someone who says "train" may get upset !)  The work was taking out a pair of signals, which have been modified to solenoid from Torti.  When the next servo driver arrives here, it will be fitted to drive them.  The 3F and 153 ran happily around for an hour, with Allen (my 2.75 year old) saying train, and pushing the train whistle into my hands.  He can't blow the whistle, not enough air, he will go around with it close to his mouth, and go "toot, toot" with it though !  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning James.

I have to chuckle at your last post. It made me think how much your layout work might be driven by your kids. They clearly enjoy what you are doing and the man with the whistle certainly sounds like he's the boss. Then I compared it to the Lunesters, who are, of course, the driving force behind the thread. You really do keep me going when I might otherwise have said "sod it" for a while!

I must admit that I have NO experience whatever working with lathes and turning metal. Andy, don't get me wrong. I'm sure it must be immensely satisfying to scratchbuild a loco etc, but there's only so much you can actually do in the time available!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Michael. Yes, I'm hoping that today turns out to be be a bit more straightforward than yesterday!

One of the joys of being on here is the direct nature of the contributors in the threads. No messing about, subterfuge or hidden agendas - it's out with the comment, opinion, criticism etc. Unlike some people you meet who seem to glory in twisting everything round.... Drives you mad! Anyway, today's first order of the day is a visit from my independent financial advisor. That'll probably take 2-3 hours, but it's always fun!

Then it's a bit of reading: the Wheel of Time, book 14 "A Memory of Light" was released yesterday. The last in a story that started in 1990. Probably means nothing to most of you.

Then I'm going to go and tidy up all the wiring I've fitted into the fiddle yard over the last week. It didn't seem much at the time, but there's probably another 20 pairs of droppers - plus a few from previously. Best to make a start on it! I can see me spending the day reading and the wiring being shunted - a good railway term - to tomorrow. Procrastination rules!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, Don't be put off loco building. I suggest when you have time, ha ha, you build some plastic wagon kits if you have not already had a go at this. Then progress on to a detailing kit for one of your rtr locos, or may be build a coach kit, then have a go at a 0-6-0 loco kit. I'm sure it's all well within your capabilities. Like your other "I never done this before" you never know until you have had a go.

A bit cool this morning, I hope you had the heater on early.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Don't be put off loco building. I suggest when you have time, ha ha, you build some plastic wagon kits if you have not already had a go at this. Then progress on to a detailing kit for one of your rtr locos, or may be build a coach kit, then have a go at a 0-6-0 loco kit. I'm sure it's all well within your capabilities. Like your other "I never done this before" you never know until you have had a go.

A bit cool this morning, I hope you had the heater on early.

I only switched the heater on about 30 minutes ago, as it'll be after lunch before I get chance to go and do anything.

You're right about never saying "never". If there weren't so many BASIC things to do, I could see me happily scratchbuilding the platform and station for the next few weeks. And I'd "never" have expected that a short while ago!

Jeff

One of the joys of being on here is the direct nature of the contributors in the threads. No messing about, subterfuge or hidden agendas - it's out with the comment, opinion, criticism etc. Unlike some people you meet who seem to glory in twisting everything round.... Drives you mad!

I know what you mean there. I can't stand people that manipulate and will say what they think you want to hear... Thinking of which, previous applicant for the position of SWMBO appeared over Christmas saying she wants me back - despite having been the one that left both times we split up. One wonders what would be different this time...

Anyway, today's first order of the day is a visit from my independent financial advisor. That'll probably take 2-3 hours, but it's always fun!

They can be, best one I ever had was being told to remortgage my house (having just paid off the previous one) - at a much higher rate than I had been paying - to seedcorn a buy-to-let empire. Just as the bottom was falling out of that market...

Then it's a bit of reading: the Wheel of Time, book 14 "A Memory of Light" was released yesterday. The last in a story that started in 1990. Probably means nothing to most of you.

Then I'm going to go and tidy up all the wiring I've fitted into the fiddle yard over the last week. It didn't seem much at the time, but there's probably another 20 pairs of droppers - plus a few from previously. Best to make a start on it! I can see me spending the day reading and the wiring being shunted - a good railway term - to tomorrow. Procrastination rules!!

Reading is not procrastination! I remember you mentioning it a few (tens of) pages ago. Hope it's as good a read as the previous books were. 

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Michael.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape with the previous potential SWMBO. Always good to keep your wits about you. Financial advisor confirmed my own ideas and I'm quite happy with the results. Two topics there that are way off thread (or are they, since we depend on money and support in our hobby?!).

Time to do some reading now. A 14-book, 12000 page, mega-multi-character story. May not be what some people enjoy but I like reading grand series that go on for years.

Railway modelling.... oh yes, I might fit a bit of that in later today  :O !!

Jeff

Thanks Andy - the goods yard pictures will be a well-received scan, especially the cattle dock.

I suspect you are close to the youngest - though whether anyone is willing to admit their age (if around the 35ish mark) is up to them!

And happy birthday for last Wednesday (2nd).....

Jeff

In my universe I'm still 15.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy (uax6): just to let you know that I've received the scans you've sent me!! Lol. Just went into my Hotmail account, looked at the Inbox total and immediately thought "wow, I'm Mr Popularity today!!"....

It'll take me a while to download and sort these.... so thanks very much - I'm sure there's BOUND to be something useful in there.

Btw, how long did it take you to scan the entire concise Encyclopaedia Britannica?  :jester:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I've downloaded all that stuff. Some lovely pics of the buildings on Settle station and I notice there's even one of the Blea Moor tunnel portal. 

Along with the goods shed / cattle dock photos, this will be very useful. Thanks very much.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Pity you hadn't laid your track to EM gauge, Jeff.  I have over 20 Midland locos, about half scratch built, the remainder modified kits plus 3 NER goods locos and live within spitting distance of you in Whitby.  Could have had a real running session.

Here's one of them

Derek

post-6110-0-83894500-1357750204_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

That's very nice Derek. I used to be even closer - I lived in Guisborough for ten years and used to pay the occasional visit to Whitby.

There are a number of Lunesters within 30 miles of here, so I'm sure we can arrange a get-together at some stage. Are you planning to go to the July Member's Day in Stafford?

As a matter of interest (I ask everyone this!) - what grade/colour/make of ballast have you used on the track. And did you use PVA/Copydex or some other adhesive.....

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I would love to go to the members day, and just may get there but there is a possibility that  I may be laid up following a pretty awful operation, but we will see.  Stangely enough I used to live in Stafford.  I worked in the County Analysts labs and my wife is a Staffordian, although I am a fully paid up Yorlshireman.

The ballast used on Embsay is Woodland Scenics fine limestone mixed with a fine stone (which is brown) giving a mottled effect.  I lay the ballast when I lay the track - all in one operation and for this bit of the layout used either PVA or Cascamite.  It was built in 1985-ish so can't quite remember the exact details.

Derek

• RMweb Premium

Hi Derek,

Amazing - what were the chances of all those Stafford links?

Thanks for the ballasting info. I've always used Woodland Scenics and PVA, but that may change this time. So I'm canvassing information before I get to that bit!

If the layout is still in working order then it's doing very well - over a quarter of a century old! 1985 - the same year I started teaching...retired now!

cheers,

Jeff

Hi All,

Firstly THANKS to you all for your kind words, I didn't realise so many Railway People were pet lovers as well. Thanks.

Right YOUNG Jeff,  I am 63 in April and I am NOT afraid to admit to it, BUT either I have read the last two pages to quickly and missed it OR you have NOT DISCLOSED YOUR AGE MATEY. :no: 

This has been some good reading again, Jeff I am with you on Loco Building, It takes a certain talent that I am lacking the confidence to try, although George T says that it is just common sense and confidence. :O

That Fiddle Yard of yours looks wonderful, I do want the room to do the same sort of thing, but, as I have said before I want it laid YESTERDAY :nono: so I would be back to Peco with their Point motors or wire in tube. Might even stay with manual for the fiddle yard if it was close and I could reach it.   

That pic from Derek was a cracker, lovelly track, lovelly Bridge, Lovelly angle and most of all WONDERFUL stock, thanks for that.

FINNALLY, Yes I like the new Avatar.

I cant put my Greyhound on here as it chases CATS :sungum:

Andy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy - great to have you back. Thanks for the track comments - I'm very pleased with the way the fiddle yard has gone in AND the operational nature it can lead to. At the end of the day it's not the track code, sleeper spacing, gauge etc etc, IT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH IT. I don't think you have any worries about the quality of your layouts!!!

Well, you know I've retired, so you probably think I'm ancient. I was 55 in December - so now you know. Like Peter (Western Sunset) implied in an earlier post - I feel much younger, maybe 30...

Glad you like the new avatar. That cat was such a part of my life. When she died - very suddenly in August - I had a huge hole in my life that the railway and you gang managed to help fill. I'll wait a bit longer and go to the cat sanctuary to try and find a new friend.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1