Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

:sungum: Andy - great to have you back. Thanks for the track comments - I'm very pleased with the way the fiddle yard has gone in AND the operational nature it can lead to. At the end of the day it's not the track code, sleeper spacing, gauge etc etc, IT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH IT. I don't think you have any worries about the quality of your layouts!!!

Well, you know I've retired, so you probably think I'm ancient. I was 55 in December - so now you know. Like Peter (Western Sunset) implied in an earlier post - I feel much younger, maybe 30...

Glad you like the new avatar. That cat was such a part of my life. When she died - very suddenly in August - I had a huge hole in my life that the railway and you gang managed to help fill. I'll wait a bit longer and go to the cat sanctuary to try and find a new friend.

Jeff

Hi YOUNG Lunester, Cats are so friendly, Georges one was a pain when he was modeling sometimes climbing all over the desk, and when he had a loft layout in Gosport it would climb the ladder and walk on the layout, then disapear into the eves.

All our pets, about 9 dogs and one cat have all been rescued, my wife (bless her) worked in a Vets for over 20 years.

55     :O     YOUR AVIN A JARAFF     your only a kid, :no:         Retired, you should have another 20 years work in you yet BOY, get out there and pay for my pension, :sungum: hahahhah

Old Lunester. :mail:

• Like 3

Well, you know I've retired, so you probably think I'm ancient. I was 55 in December - so now you know. Like Peter (Western Sunset) implied in an earlier post - I feel much younger, maybe 30...

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I am 55 later this year and I have absolutly no chance of retiring for a while yet, its my own fault for having a 3 year old daughter, mind you she makes me run around like a 25 year old so perhaps I've found the secret of eternal youth. I meant to ask a while ago how many other railway signalmen are following this thread then?

Ian

Well fellas, if we are talking about ages.  I will be 78 next birthday but that is only a number.  Really I'm only a lad.

My oldest mate was 78 when he passed away after fighting the dreaded C for years.  He was given 3 months to live years ago but he was such a kean modeller he refused to give up, and kept modelling almost to the end, building some lovely '0' gauge NER/LNER models.  Even the day before he died he was critically examining a A3 scratch built tender by one of his visitors.  Such is this hobby of ours.

Derek

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I am 55 later this year and I have absolutly no chance of retiring for a while yet, its my own fault for having a 3 year old daughter, mind you she makes me run around like a 25 year old so perhaps I've found the secret of eternal youth. I meant to ask a while ago how many other railway signalmen are following this thread then?

Ian

Aside from yourself Ian, there is the one and only Andy (uax6) who works a box in Cambridge. And Beast66606 (Dave) used to be - not sure if he still is - a signalman. We have a couple of librarians, retired teachers - including Physics(me) and Science (92220), retired rail professionals...Mike (Stationmaster), artists (Mythocentric), Bankers (Sandside) and general ruffians who want me to pay for their pension (Andy P)!!

Quite a mix..... They say it takes all sorts!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy, you must have a substantial pension to pay for all that cake you eat!

Good to see you back into the swing of the humour.

And btw, nobody has noticed I've shaved my beard off and changed my appearance!

Derek - cheers...keep it going young fella!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ian, I've just started my night turns, have LB's all week, with a T3 on saturday night being given up Monday morning (replacing bridge timbers and overhead masts that after 20 years are falling into the fen!

Andy P - I totally understand the pain that loosing a pet is. Discovered SWMBO's cat dead on the Patio in August, and two years ago had to have my faithful 1st cat put to sleep. Forthunatley on both occaisons we got another cat fairly quickly, which helped (this time the kitten was here 6 months beforehand. I think getting back on the bike is a great help, although I find that my 4 year old does keep talking about SWMBO cat, and it does tug at the heart strings, but she saw us bury here, and she seems to have a grasp on it all.

Jeff - Glad you liked the scans, they took about 20 minutes to scan, and i thought they would liven up your day! They are full of little details (like Settle box) that will transform your model.

Did something I've never done before today.....Did some modelling while the Mrs was doing some of her Angry Cross -stitching. I made up four MR bogies, and only superglued one to my fingers! Tomorrow I will be doing some work to my WCJS sleeper, and some filling and stripping on my MR abortions!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Derek,

I hope that when I finally get round to building my railway, it looks half as good as yours. That some lovely modelling there. The loco and stock has just made me drool!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Ok fellow Lunatics, I've hopefully got the time off from both SWMBO and the Railway, so that I can visit Ally Pally in March. Are any of you lot coming too? Indeed has anyone got any other details as to how much it will set me back and times etc?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Aside from yourself Ian, there is the one and only Andy (uax6) who works a box in CambridgeSHIRE.

Blimey, you make me sound like sort sort of verity act!

I had noticed your overday change into something cute and cuddly, so what do we call you now, Tiddles?

Andy G

I might put a picky up tomorrow of something similar.

55 and retired! Where did I go wrong...........?

I see 3,000 posts have been passed so well done to Jeff for keeping us off the straight and narrow.

So going off on one of our usual tangents, what's the most unusual thing you have in you garage/shed/den/store whatever?

Edited by Western Sunset
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh you had to ask what I had in my shed didn't you???

Well I have two 1930's Strowger Automatic telephone Exchanges. One was in use in Wakes Colne in Essex (I belive, and the previous owner got it from the GPO for nothing on the understanding that the packing cases it was in were returned (it was due to be going to Scotland to help automate some wild windsweep area). This one has never be modified to allow STD working, so you would have to go via the operator if you wanted a trunk call. The other one was in use at a little place called Twenty in Lincolnshire. This was recovery to a school in Dulwich (Ayllens school I think!) where it provided internal comms until about 8 years ago. The 6th formers used to maintain it! This one was modified to work STD, and it also has the relay sets to work the old dial, pay on answer payphones.

I have various parts of old Morris minors, itals MGB-gts and Maestros (anyone got a 1275 Maestro engine and box going for scrap? I want to use one in my other moggy van!)kicking about.

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A thought just occurred to me - yes, I do have them occasionally! If more of the Lunesters were building layouts then we wouldn't go off on so many tangents. As it is, if I stop showing pictures of track or point motors, discussion invariably turns...elsewhere....

Do I mind? Course I don't! I think the thread would be very dry and boring if it went something like....

Post 1: Here's some photos I took of the layout today....

Post 2: Good work, mate

Post 3: Great work, mate

Post 4: Doing a good job there mate....

Get the idea? 

I would stop the thread if we ever went down that route. So we have Andy with his cake, Andy with his scans and cross-stitching, Peter with his 15-year old's take on life, Michael with his ceiling-missing DIY etc etc. And muggins here with a bit of subframe, baseboard, tracklaying, turnout motors, scratchbuilding.....providing the PVA to hold the whole lot together. And - as Peter mentioned .... > 3000 posts result.

Do you lot realise that by the middle of October we were ONLY on page 40!!!!!

How the hell have we managed to fill another 80 pages since?!!! Could be coincidence, but the redoubtable uax6 from CambridgeSHIRE joined the Lunesters about then - and he's hardly shut-up since!!!  :O  :jester:

So - to all you guys and gals (Polly, where are you?). Here's to the next 3000 posts. I reckon we can bang another 5000 in this year if we take it easy. I should be able to provide plenty of modelling to hold it all together and we'll probably spend pages ridiculing each other after Stafford.

This thread is a total pleasure....

Before I stop my rant.... Andy, glad you like the pic of my pus*y (!) And Peter - odd things in the den.... how about a packet of unused underpants I bought from M&S years ago and forget all about - they turned up in the cat's basket....

Phew...  :O  :sungum:  :O

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oi! Stop giving me a bad name! You are the one that complains when I'm not at work and you have to do some filling of space yourself!

Mind you, am I the one that started expanding things to differing areas of modelling? I blame those scans! But then again, I do find research for a layout is almost as much fun as building it! I do find that I find this thread a wonderful place to be.

Not going to be a nice night here tonight. The bridge gang are cutting out the waybeams on our underpass (about 20 yds from the box) with petrol saws. That sound is going to go right through me!

I'm going to try and pass the time reading section Z of the rule book, so will clock on to more accusations at around about 3am.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Andy - the scans are excellent. And someone else has just burned a CD with loads of relevant pics, and is sending them to me.

Don't worry, I'm going to make an attempt at the station buildings - probably be around March time. Will use as much background info as I can get - I have plenty already. Just remember, I've NEVER built anything like it before.

Get your ear plugs in. Have fun with your rule book!

Jeff

I would stop the thread if we ever went down that route. So we have Andy with his cake, Andy with his scans and cross-stitching, Peter with his 15-year old's take on life, Michael with his ceiling-missing DIY etc etc. And muggins here with a bit of subframe, baseboard, tracklaying, turnout motors, scratchbuilding.....providing the PVA to hold the whole lot together. And - as Peter mentioned .... > 3000 posts result.

Absolutely agree about those kinds of threads though there are less of them about these days than there used to be - either other people don't like them either and they aren't appearing so often these days, or I'm being more selective about which ones I look at.

And I resent the comment about ceiling-less diy - the ceiling was missing for just a day.  The current problem is that the heating has been missing since Saturday night.  Starting to want to do some more modeling now, but until the heating is finished, and I've got another wall or two upstairs, I don't really have a work-room...

How's the book going?  Or did you decide to go and do some wiring to make it last a bit longer? 

• RMweb Premium

Morning Michael. 

It's going to get cold - get your heating sorted. Or wrap up in a thick duvet...

Er, modelling. Well, you see, it was like this.... the book's so good - got upto page 250. And it was nice and warm in the house, 8C in the bunker (no heater on). So wiring was (temporarily) postponed...

I MUST force myself out there later today. I enjoyed putting the track down. But tidying up those droppers is a little bit less appealing!

Jeff

As Andy G pointed out, the new avatar is rather cute and cuddly. However, I'm not sure that Tiddles has quite the resonance appropriate for the King Lunester, so as Jeff is also a keen rock music fan may I suggest Lucifer Sam, courtesy of the much-missed Mr. Syd Barrett!

I'll also be mean and leave Jeff to explain the reference! (That's what comes from a man who likes bunny rabbits! Hee Hee!) :)

Regards to all

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

Although I've been modelling off and on for 20 years (!) there are still plenty of things I've never tried. One of them is making buildings. Mind you i think it's all about having an eye for detail, and then working out what you can leave out. Looking through the birthday book, I seem to find details in every corner of the pictures. I also find that I notice alot of things as i walk along the street. Look up at the buildings as you walk past them and see if you can notice little details that bring them alive....

Gone very cold here, but at least the noise has gone, but the trains are running again now!

Andy G

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

The looking at buildings thing does become an odd obsession when you start making buildings (scratching buildings?). For Instance, stood outside the boozer last night having a gasper, I was looking at the corner shop opposite and in particular the collection of run down sheds behind it and the yard full of crap, and thinking that it would make a great model. I have even taken photos of chimneys, door surrounds, brickwork, weathered stone, you name it, and stare at people's houses for inspiration.

You then start thinking about how they were built, what purpose they served, why they were placed there, what that bricked up bit was once used for, etc. and 99% of the time, you never model them.

I have two sheds, a proper (if somewhat knackered) one and an outside toilet. In the proper shed there are three mountainbikes (all mine), a ladybike (Sofia's), spare wheels and tyres, work stand and an old wardrobe. In the bog shed, there are two full toolboxes (bike tools - you need so many when you start maintaining them yourself), helmets, gloves, body armour and a massive spider that I have unimaginitvely christened Boris (Who fan, innit). I lived in a flat for a while and as such, never had a shed. EVERY man should have a shed!

• Like 1

Morning my Lord

Blimey! you have a few days away from the thread and there's pages to wade through, where to start that's the question. Iv'e been tied up with my caring role this end and looks as if I will be for a while yet, but then again that's why i retired early which is a positive in itself. Retirement that has been mentioned in the last few days and like you I was 55 when I hung up my work boots and I was 58 last December, not from anything railway related though, I was a Process Manager in a plastics factory (Injection Moulding) heading up a small team of technicians. Now then what else.

Oh sheds, mine is full of hand tools, power tools, tins of bolts, screws, plugs etc and a cement mixer, I used to renovate all my old houses so if you think of all the stuff I used to have in a 28 x 12ft barn at one time time so if you imagine all the cra equipment one collects in such a space, that is now crammed into two sheds and some of my garage space. Occasionally the air gets a bit blue when I can't find something. However the new garage is now planned for end of April all being well and I did get a couple of hours preparing for it yesterday.

Like others this is one of my favourite threads so long may it continue and what will be discussed when the 10K comes up I wonder. That reminds me I'd better get something done and post on my dry, boring thread ;), I think I need some prompting to get those bl**dy tiles on, only a few more hundred to go - why do I do it! :banghead: Because I go around studying photographs and real things and think I'll have a go at that, that's why...

Right, chores all done, post typed, time for that deserved coffee now.

Catch you later, oh and put that book down and get that grass laid :mosking: . Mind you I was sitting there reading my new William Dean book last night instead of tiling so I'm a fine one to talk.

Jim (a mere luney peasant)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As Andy G pointed out, the new avatar is rather cute and cuddly. However, I'm not sure that Tiddles has quite the resonance appropriate for the King Lunester, so as Jeff is also a keen rock music fan may I suggest Lucifer Sam, courtesy of the much-missed Mr. Syd Barrett!

I'll also be mean and leave Jeff to explain the reference! (That's what comes from a man who likes bunny rabbits! Hee Hee!) :)

Regards to all

Bill

Blimey Bill, you do come up with some obscure references - but showing your detailed knowledge of Floyd - more than me!!! And at nearly 3am - I was reading then, with the computer off.

Lucifer Sam is on one of the early Floyd albums - which I don't have (Meddle, 1971, is my earliest) and refers to a cat. Hence the feline link to my new avatar! You made me think about that one!

I'll keep my moggy pic for the moment. Ludwig Boltzmann is waiting in the wings for his return!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

How did you get away with the P****** WORD, when I tried it through me out :O

Jnr L :sungum:

Yes, I had the same problem - which is ridiculous!! So I just omitted one letter and it accepted it.

Are you working on T today, Andy? Another one of those motor-maintenance shed type things - how about a small engineer's shop? - would look good in the foreground, if there's still room.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jim, Hemyock is most certaintly not boring - it's one of my regulars! Just because all the Luner-tics have graduated into KL doesn't devalue other people's efforts.

There will be many people on the Forum who have probably given up on KL simply because it's not entirely KL focussed. It can't be - I'm working as fast as I can and I can't keep pumping out new content - physically impossible.

I suspect that if KL were distilled to just KL-related posts, it'd run to about half its current length.

Anyway, I don't care - people can choose what they do and don't want to look at. In the meantime, progress on the layout will be slow while I read THAT book (been waiting for 2 years for it).

As for scratchbuilding what you see in the "real world". I totally agree - and how I have changed!! I've got loads of RTP resin Skaledale and Scenecraft buildings from the old layout. Maybe I should sell them on Ebay?

Jeff

Aside from yourself Ian, there is the one and only Andy (uax6) who works a box in Cambridge. And Beast66606 (Dave) used to be - not sure if he still is - a signalman. We have a couple of librarians, retired teachers - including Physics(me) and Science (92220), retired rail professionals...Mike (Stationmaster), artists (Mythocentric), Bankers (Sandside) and general ruffians who want me to pay for their pension (Andy P)!!

Quite a mix..... They say it takes all sorts!

Jeff

And some of us are eternal lurkers. Can't miss a daily read of this topic being a Kirkby Stephen signalling resident.

Paul

• Like 2