Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

As I look back, I see a lot of progress since last June: subframes, risers, baseboards, tracklaying, electrics, point motors - all in 6 months. And then there is the "chat room" aspect for the Lunesters - about 15 regulars.

There! :tender:

What did I say a few posts ago..... ?  :sungum:

Edit to delete repeated text.  

Edited by southern42

Jeff, Re your comments on Trebudoc, I AM BACK, you can't get rid of the old fool that easily, fancy tring to make it hard for us oldies to understand PLAIN ENGLISH.

Great looking track by the way, Finescale makes it look so much better, even without ballast, that low angle shot of the fiddle yard is a cracker. HOW MANY MORE COBOLTS DID YOU SAY?

And when did you say the grass would start?

How about N gauge around the back?

O Gauge in the Garden?

I have just remembered, you will have a spare room for that N Gauge layout soon. ahahhaeeeee

Old Lunester

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Andy, don't tempt me! When I finally clear the old layout away there'll be another "spare" bedroom. I can hardly put a layout into it when I've just removed one. Can I? Can I?.......

The only way I can justify using the room would be with some kind of shelf arrangement. I mean, what is a man to do if he doesn't have a good range of alternative beds to sleep in each night, as well as the settee when the cricket is on in the middle of the night!!

Must admit, the finescale track does look good without anything doing to it. I'll need to paint the rails and then give it a good griming up - not sure if it's better to do that by painting the sleepers or spraying them. I know which is easier - but as with all things where there's an alternative, opinion will be divided. 

I'll do some more work on the Index later. As I see it, the tasks for the next few months should be: Track bus and electrics - working / Scratchbuilding work on the station - station/goods buildings etc / construction of hillside and tunnels / ballasting and "prettying up work" on the hill. That should do nicely 'til the summer. And yes, I will be asking for advice on a number of things.

Right, it's time for a couple of hours with my book.

Jeff

A big welcome back to Andy P (aka: Sir Junior Looooony Lunester). I refuse to use the 'Old' bit because I've got two years on the darned youngster!

You know Jeff, Andy does have a good point there for the spare bedroom. How's this sound? Bed in the middle with N guage layout around the outside, You could put the fiddleyard at the headboard end below the coffee-maker.  Bookshelves along the sides with a TV below the footboard end. Sounds like heaven to me. Of course, you may have difficulty getting in and out but as Andy's already mentioned a maid would be rather nice!

Imagination just gone into meltdown

Bill

Hi Jeff

All my comments (re-Hemyock) were tongue in cheek of course, I could not keep up a thread like this one as I'm not on here often enough but like I've said before it does have its club type appeal which is what we enjoy.

As for griming up the track I have used both brush and spray but only use the latter if doing larger areas. 

After the distraction of my copy of BRM dropping through the door I managed to take a few pictures ready for an update, once I have done that then I will press on with the tiles and hope to complete one side of the carriage shed roof  this weekend. With the colder weather keeping me indoors it should be easy.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

All my comments (re-Hemyock) were tongue in cheek of course, I could not keep up a thread like this one as I'm not on here often enough but like I've said before it does have its club type appeal which is what we enjoy.

As for griming up the track I have used both brush and spray but only use the latter if doing larger areas. 

After the distraction of my copy of BRM dropping through the door I managed to take a few pictures ready for an update, once I have done that then I will press on with the tiles and hope to complete one side of the carriage shed roof  this weekend. With the colder weather keeping me indoors it should be easy.

Jim

No problem Jim. The question is - would you want to be at the centre of a thread like this!!  :O  :O

As long as people don't expect miracles from me, I can manage. I think the Index shows that a fair bit of REAL MODELLING has been done on here over the last 6 months....

Unless I'm instructed otherwise, Kirkby Luneside will continue in this manner.....

Jeff

ps Must get my copy of BRM and HM, both out today.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

The index is a great idea, just been looking at your cobalt pages, so much easier to get around your "Masterpiece" 

Thanks

Thanks Billy. I'm glad you've found it useful. I have to say that I was getting more and more frustrated at being unable to find things - or taking a long time 'til I stumbled across what I wanted!

I'd like the thread to be useful and USABLE. The Index tries to stick to the actual modelling, rather than all the discussion work that goes on.

Jeff

Thanks Billy. I'm glad you've found it useful. I have to say that I was getting more and more frustrated at being unable to find things - or taking a long time 'til I stumbled across what I wanted!

I'd like the thread to be useful and USABLE. The Index tries to stick to the actual modelling, rather than all the discussion work that goes on.

Jeff

Jeff

The index works wonderfully well, I find the whole thread a great learning aid, previously just looking for the cobalt's & wiring electrofrog drawings would have probably taken an hour of my time, now a couple of minutes

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

The index works wonderfully well, I find the whole thread a great learning aid, previously just looking for the cobalt's & wiring electrofrog drawings would have probably taken an hour of my time, now a couple of minutes

Excellent! I've actually got a paper copy of the Index - but my copy also includes a lot of the discussion stuff. I'm not going to post all that, but it is quite amazing the number of topics and side-issues that have been discussed on here.

Those who only want the basic modelling now have a tool to achieve this. And the rest of us save a few minutes!! Lol.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The strength of the thread is that not only is there lots of modelling weaved in with the chat, but when questions are asked they get answered.  I have learnt lots over the past few months, although I have not been able to add much as my modelling experience and opportunity has not been very great up until now.  That may change as retirement is coming earlier than expected at the end of this month, although they have persuaded me to go back two days a week.  However, before more modelling comes a house move, and yes probably sorting the house out once we get there.

My main concern with all this though is that I shall probably be offline for quite a long time so how am I ever going to catch up?  At the moment most of my available time is used catching up on this thread!  :yes:

The other great thing with this thread is the way that other threads are given adverts so you end up looking at those as well, which is good because you look at layouts you may not have looked at otherwise, and although the scale, era etc. is not what you are particularly interested in, the methods of modelling and the results are.

It is also comforting to know that other people are doing what I am doing and looking at house and thinking, "how does that fit together, look at that valance, the gutters on those houses are right next to the wall, that's unusal."  I think my wife thinks it's all part of me losing my marbles.  ;)

I like the idea of an index.  When we are moved in, extension built, house sorted, and on the days I am not back at work, going fishing, helping to look after the grand kids then I have a room to build a layout in so I will need to come back and have a look.

Right, stuff to do before I go to bed, none of it modelling though.  :no2:

• Like 2

A big welcome back to Andy P (aka: Sir Junior Looooony Lunester). I refuse to use the 'Old' bit because I've got two years on the darned youngster!

You know Jeff, Andy does have a good point there for the spare bedroom. How's this sound? Bed in the middle with N guage layout around the outside, You could put the fiddleyard at the headboard end below the coffee-maker.  Bookshelves along the sides with a TV below the footboard end. Sounds like heaven to me. Of course, you may have difficulty getting in and out but as Andy's already mentioned a maid would be rather nice!

Imagination just gone into meltdown

Bill

OR How about Jeff sleeping in the SMALL ROOM and build an O Gauge layout around the BIG BEDROOM New Model Room,    WARM IN WINTER AND OUT TO KL IN THE SUMMER,

Sorted Jeff, now no excuse to just to sit down reading books, its bad for your eyes.

Index looks really good, well done for that, only an academic could come up with somthing such as this, I thought it was much more fun trawling through over 3000 pages looking for one post.

NEW SIGNITURE = NOT AS OLD AS BILL LUNESTER, hahahheheeeeeee

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ever thought of working in a library Jeff? What with your indexing skills and all.

You have no idea, Peter. I'm all at a loss at the moment because I don't have "Access" on my new laptop and my databases - of all sorts of stuff - are sitting there, useless.

I like to have systems for getting hold of info fast, and although I'm not keen on statistics as a deep subject, I like comparative stats eg cricket batsmen, longest river etc. So information is a very powerful thing.

This thread, in the long run, would be unusable if a structure wasn't put in. Easier now than later!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy G

Are you on 8 hour or 12 Hour shifts in Cambridge, We do 12hrs in Port Talbot, 3on/3off or 4 if a Sunday is involved, working my Rest day Saturday and then 12hr nights Sun, Mon, Tue & Wed

Ian

Ian,

Here at Littleport (The pinnicle of signalling excellance in East Anglia  :sungum: ) we do 8 hrs.. 7 days on at a time. I think the PSB at Cambs do 8 hrs. 12hr shifts would be nice, but I can't see us ever getting them here...

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

The index idea is brill! The question is actually how detailed are you going to make it? Could it include the off topic discussions like 'old gold' etc? Indeed could it be like the magazine style indexes (indices?) that you used to get?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

I have my own, more detailed, Index at home, but I think the Index here is sufficiently detailed. It's function is to highlight the modelling that I actually do in the thread. Unlike some of us, some people just wish to "get to the point" and find a particular bit of work.

Bearing in mind we'll probably end 2013 at about 6000 posts, even at this level, the Index is going to be quite large. I thought it'd be helpful, but I'm not going to spend too much time on it - it's a guide.

Hope you find it lets you access things a bit easier.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I don't know if you are a Railway modeller Subscriber, but mine just dropped through the door today. There is a lovely article on how to make dry stone walls out of DAS. Some of the walls made are based on those at Dent..... ;-}

Maybe l'll just have to PM you when I need to find something then!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I don't know if you are a Railway modeller Subscriber, but mine just dropped through the door today. There is a lovely article on how to make dry stone walls out of DAS. Some of the walls made are based on those at Dent..... ;-}

Maybe l'll just have to PM you when I need to find something then!

Andy G

I usually get Hornby, have bought BRM since its revamp and subscribe to Model Rail. I buy RM intermittently, depending on the layouts featured. Thanks for the warning - I'll have a look. Let's face it, I'm going to need to make a lot of walling as it's far too expensive to buy.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I presume Jeff is still deep in his book and therefore, no modelling is taking place. To encourage him back into the bunker:

Jeff, it was the butler. You can put the book down now.

:D

• Like 2

Hi Lord Lunester and all minor Lunesters

Well, my darling wife is in work, the two boys are in school and the 3 year old is watching Ceebeebies so I got a bit of modelling done.

I altered 6 Peco points for DCC by isolating the Frog and bonding the switch and running rails as well as adding a dropper to the frog for the Hex Juicer, first point took about 40 minutes while the sixth took about 10, but I wish I had 3 hands!!!

Ian