Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, get to 6000+ pages and you will NEED AN INDEX FOR THE INDEX, hahahahahh

Old Lunester.

You may well be right, Andy. That's why I don't want to make the Index too detailed. If you overdo it, you may as well not bother and look straight at the thread directly.

Sorry for delay - immersed in my book!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I presume Jeff is still deep in his book and therefore, no modelling is taking place. To encourage him back into the bunker:

Jeff, it was the butler. You can put the book down now.

:D

Hi Lord Lunester and all minor Lunesters

Well, my darling wife is in work, the two boys are in school and the 3 year old is watching Ceebeebies so I got a bit of modelling done.

I altered 6 Peco points for DCC by isolating the Frog and bonding the switch and running rails as well as adding a dropper to the frog for the Hex Juicer, first point took about 40 minutes while the sixth took about 10, but I wish I had 3 hands!!!

Ian

You are making me feel guilty! Well done Ian. Fiddling with the points can be frustrating due to the lack of hands. I used a clamp stand - see page 50, post 1229 (hey, I used the index to find it) to hold the turnout in place while I soldered droppers to it.

Sorry Jason. I thought I heard the butler banging on the door, but I told him to be quiet as I'm going back to reading my book.

I'll update the Index to the current page later this evening.

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Michael.

If you've ever read one of the large series of books that permeate different genres then you'll know how addictive it is. I'm on book 14 of a series that started in 1990 and runs to an un-godly number of pages (the present volume is a mere 912 pages, about the size of The Lord of the Rings). And it's the last. 

So, a temporary pause to update the Index and get something to eat.

I guess you are at home and revelling in the effectiveness of your central heating? You'll need it, with snow possible over the coming days!

Apologies to Lunesters and general visitors - it's unlikely any rail-related work will happen until early next week: more wiring and I'll get the wire for the track bus.

Not that that is going to stop you lot having the usual kinds of discussion. Keep 'em railway and S&C related and get on with it. When I need a break I'll have a look at your pearls of wisdom!

Jeff

Hi mate, just come on for some LIGHT AMUESMENT, but not a lot happening, It is quite strange at the moment, as I said the other day, I am struggeling to motivate myself with T but when I come on here and see pics like the one from Derek the other day it makes me go into the Den and have think as to what I can do next.

This site with all its humour, info and comments keeps an old man going, so come KIDS lets have some pics of Cobolts, Wire, Fish Plate, ANYTHING IN FACT WILL DO.

Signed; Desperate of Derbyshire. :boast:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

I'll send you a PM with a few photos. They aren't new, but they might get you "in the mood"!!

I might need a return PM from you next week when I go out to start wiring - and TESTING - the track bus, track piece by track piece.

Jeff

Andy - sent to your BTINTERNET email addy

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Do you have any definate plans for the look of the station yet? What facilities are you having... The sooner you let on, the longer time we have all got to look out photos of said items for you....

No modelling today either, unless you count trying to put into words how I made the panelling on my coach!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Evening Andy,

Nothing definite, inasmuch as I've sat and planned it. But I have the detailed drawings and dimensions of the station buildings at Kirkby Stephen and it's those I'll use to make my model. As for the goods shed: again, I've plans/photos etc of the sheds at several of the S&C's major stations, so I'll probably build a version of the Kirkby Stephen one.

I've been very lucky with resources, including a new DVD of S&C photos from Dave (unravelled) and all the research for the "Kirkby Stephen West" layout from Ian Macdonald. Plus the scans you, yourself have sent. An embarrassment of riches!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

I hope someone has some interesting items to discuss today, as I'm still reading.... went to bed at 4am this morning - couldn't put the book down! Still 350 pages to go!

The main layout event for me today is to order the 50/0.25 track bus wire.

I'll update the Index to the current page sometime this afternoon.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Mike. I'm going to fit the track bus - probably next week - and then connect the track up, section by section. I've checked and checked as it's been put in, but there's bound to be something wrong.

I'll start connecting in the fiddle yard. First, because there are less turnouts there and second, there are some good straight sections - so I can run a few locos when a section is powered up.

My problem is, I'm very methodical, so I think this could take a while!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Yes, but if you're not methodical it takes a hell of a lot longer because you won't be able to locate the fault if it arises!

Iain

Yes Iain, I think you're right! Damned if you do and damned if you don't! I can't actually see the logic in cutting corners - though I know some people do it. One particular turnout discussion - I won't say anymore - seems to be a perennial favorite at sparking discussion from the "thorough" camp and the "don't need to" camp.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting even part of the track bus in place. Even running a loco or two up and down the fiddle yard is an exciting prospect!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The Index is now complete to the end of Page 120, which was earlier this week.

When we get to it, I'll move the post 3035 version to post 4000, if that post is available. 3035 hardly sticks in the mind!

If you look at the Index there's a very noticeable deceleration in modelling since early December, a trend I need to reverse.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The Index is now complete to the end of Page 120, which was earlier this week.

When we get to it, I'll move the post 3035 version to post 4000, if that post is available. 3035 hardly sticks in the mind!

If you look at the Index there's a very noticeable deceleration in modelling since early December, a trend I need to reverse.

Jeff

Are you sure the modelling since early December isn't just more time consuming?  Be positive....  :yes:

Congratulations on completing the Index.  What determination!  Wow!

I think you may have a few Lunester Apprentices following suit on this  :unsure_mini:  :smile_mini:  :good_mini:  that's when we catch up on the number of posts you have on yours, of course.  :rofl:

Apprentice Lunester

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure the modelling since early December isn't just more time consuming?  Be positive....  :yes:

Congratulations on completing the Index.  What determination!  Wow!

I think you may have a few Lunester Apprentices following suit on this  :unsure_mini:  :smile_mini:  :good_mini:  that's when we catch up on the number of posts you have on yours, of course.  :rofl:

Apprentice Lunester

Polly, as always, you're a star.... I think you are right about the things that have been done. Tunnel portals and tracklaying do take time. The real time consumer though, and it's still incomplete, is sorting out all the basic wiring under the boards. Bit like an iceberg, you don't notice it - but it bites you if you don't deal with it!!

The Index seemed sensible as it was becoming very frustrating skimming between pages to try to find something. I kept to the basic modelling as the whole thing would have got out of hand otherwise. With track bus, testing, hillsides, stations, ballasting etc etc to come, it'll need reformatting later in the year. Maybe!

Anyway - back to my COFFEE and my book. I look in here occasionally to see if anybody has posted. I do a regular check on GWR to see what you are up to as well. Btw, as at post 3000 you'd contributed 36 posts. Thought you'd like to know!!  :O

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

"...a star..."    :locomotive:   You know how to flatter a GWRite    :D

Just had cuppa and After Eights.

Nearly had to have our dinner plates on our laps - dining table reverting to modelling bench again...exhibition deadlines, eh?

Your favourite - tracklaying and ballasting - Ray's all-in-one-go method.

I'll leave you to your book while I get on with mine - Ted.Abear at Southall...

Enjoy your evening and stats gathering - you'd love working in a library - all stats........

• RMweb Premium

I do like playing around with numbers. But I much prefer deriving equations, calculating things from them and comparing them with experimental results. It's the scientist's version of "modelling".

Having said that, I could enjoy working in a library. Wonderful places. Just got a Kindle for out-of-print books. But if a hardcopy is available (I'm the same with CDs - hate downloads), I'll buy it. The physicality of a book, CD or LP is tangible.

After all, who'd be satisfied with running a model "virtual railway" on a computer? To help design, maybe. But how does a mere computer game compare to holding the model in your hands?

Ok, rant over!! Time for more reading.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, just popped in for a quick catch up, it is a bit slow on here today but I notice Poly has become an Apprentice Lunester, as you are a GOOD TEACHER I am sureyou will steer her in the right direction.

Poly where is your exhibition?

Old Lunester

• RMweb Premium

Yes Andy, a bit slow - probably because I'm doing nothing railway-related at the moment. The "usuals" must be busy this weekend, so there's not a lot of banter.

I have to admit that I'm desperately keen to start building something that I can photograph, bit-by-bit, and post. I think what I'll do is this: fit the track bus wires and test out the fiddle yard area from the viaduct at one end to the branch tunnel at the other. That's not very photogenic, but very important as it means I can then run some locos. BUT after that, I think I'll construct the hillside. It's a very big job and it'll take me a month or so to produce the framework and hill - without the top scenics (eg. walls, GRASS etc). But it'll let me post LOADS of pics and it'll get the momentum of the thread going again.

You know, of course, that I LOVE playing with wood. I've been desperate to do the hillside for months, so this scheme appeals to me.

And Andy, as a tribute to "Deputy Commander Lune", I'll even put a token square inch of grass on it. I promise!  :sungum:

Jeff

Evening Jeff

I don't think there was that much of a drop in modelling as I remember posting about taking the your portal with you to your dads, remember that was scratch built (= real modelling). Good to see you are determined to get out there again and do some more though, but it does seem a tad cold at the moment.

As for your comments on books etc, I agree. My wife has a Kindle but both she and I prefer a real book and I got through three over the festive break, now it is back to modelling and luckily enough I am keeping to my planned schedule so far. I want to get that damn shed done by the months end. I did think I might have to apply some of Andys weathering techniques but the photos always show it looking immaculate, won't be difficult then will it?

Great index by the way, it saves a heck of a lot of trawling so thanks for that.

Jim (peasant lunester - can I be made a free man now my Lord,- Pleeease

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Arise Freeman Aberdare. I promote thee from the rank of serf!! 

Maybe the book etc thing is an age thing. The series of books I'm finishing at the moment are each around 2" thick and a bit on the heavy side. But they are a pleasure to possess. Must admit I'm impressed with the Kindle though. Being able to download some long-out-of-print sci-fi from the mid-70s was a treat!!

I can motivate myself to do the track bus as I know that when I get it working - even if I only wire the yard - I can "play trains" run a few locos. But if you asked me to go into the bunker tomorrow, at a temperture of 5C, to build the hillside, I'd be out there like a shot! It's just the kind of creative thing I love. I think I'll have to put a few more reinforcement risers in first, as that hill is going to be huge and heavy!

Your shed is a masterpiece, Jim. However you paint or weather it, it's a spectacular piece of work. Hemyock is already very good - in a couple of years it'll be one of the best on here!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Blimey Jeff - one of the best!! high praise indeed. Mind you I would like it to appear in BRM or similar as I would feel the effort was all worthwhile.

Freeman status - My Lord thou shalt not be disappointed, I promise to work hard and bring back tales from a far away place called Hemyock which I shall fill with wondrous buildings and an iron road. Upon this iron road will ride magnificent Iron Horses dressed in green and red and adorned with brass towing carriages of cream and brown lined black and gold, they will be driven by fire and breath plumes of smoke, fearsome beasts to the ignorant of such things, but not us my Lord.

Right that's the bit of insanity over, back to normal life now.

Look forward to the sounds of locos in the hills.

Jim (free loony)

• Like 1