Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Al. I've tried the walking on water and flying using my arms - all in the name of positive thinking - and it didn't work! I was SO disappointed... Lol. :O

Trackwork is, indeed, the name of the game. Looking forward to bending a bit of flexi round a Tracksetta or two!

See you Thursday - please bring your Dremel.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just had two of my teeth drilled at the dentist. Lying there thinking of 9Fs hurtling over Ais Gill!!! Time for some therapy - Evostik, acrylics and a bit of plastikard cutting! :blum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Branch viaduct given its dark grey/black base coat. Now needs "lightening" with a rub-down of thinned-down white acrylic. The problem? I'm out of white and I'm out of thinners. So sod it - it'll have to wait.

Playing with track later, though. Like Pavlov's dog, the mouth is salivating at the thought!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just spent over 3 hours in the company of fellow RMwebber Schubert, playing with track, in situ, in the bunker.

This has led to major changes in the trackplan - mainly driven by the size of the curved Marcway points which didn't fit the geometry of the existing, Peco 75-based plan (see much earlier posts). Consequently, other ideas emerged... details and (very messy) pics to follow.

With any luck, tracklaying will commence within the next few weeks... Now, what do I need to order? Cork rolls, Dremel, Evostik, drills, files... great fun!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Well judging by your skills in viaduct building, a download of Templot and building your own track should be a walk in the park. :D

A great way to get flowing curves that fit and put an end to trying to fit track on a baseboard.

Seems slightly illogical, but designing the track first and then making the baseboards to fit the track certainly helps overcome the 'won't fit' scenarios.

A great thread with some superb work with Slaters card.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Gordon. I appreciate your generous comments. You mentioned in an earlier post that, in some way, I was helping to inspire you to get going (on your masterpiece) again. It works both ways. I've been buoyed by the response to the viaduct. I'm pleased with the result, but even happier with the response of my "peers"!

The trackplan has been changed a bit - I will draw up a plan later - but the main elements remain. It's a major change in that I've moved the Goods area to the front of the layout instead of behind the station. This has allowed much more flexibility in laying the track and, I feel, a much simpler overall feel to the plan. I think you are right about the logic. I produced my plan - took over a year of revisions - and then built the boards to sit the plan upon. The boards are still ok for the changes I'm making.

I know people like to see the chaos as developments arise, so I'll take some pics later and sketch out a revised plan.

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

With any luck, tracklaying will commence within the next few weeks... Now, what do I need to order? Cork rolls, Dremel, Evostik, drills, files... great fun!!

Jeff

Jeff, Can I suggest you pop down to B&Q (other DIY outlets available) and have a look at the foam underlay stuff that goes under laminate flooring, not the white flimsy stuff but the grey stuff about 3/4mm thick to replace cork? It's far cheaper than cork, easy to cut, glue and has excellent sound deadening qualities. Once track is ballasted and glued I remove the track pins so there is nothing to transmit the sound from the track to the sounding board of the baseboard.

I've just spent over 3 hours in the company of fellow RMwebber Schubert, playing with track, in situ, in the bunker.

This has led to major changes in the trackplan - mainly driven by the size of the curved Marcway points which didn't fit the geometry of the existing, Peco 75-based plan (see much earlier posts). Consequently, other ideas emerged... details and (very messy) pics to follow.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Firstly well done on completing the Viaduct, it is definitely something to be proud of. It is good to know that the track laying is about to start at last. As for the plans they never seem to fit, even with mine which is a prototype model I have had to fit a 6" extension to part of it despite measuring it all out and being confident it was correct. Sometimes things just don't look right and it has to change.

I look forward to the new plans and seeing that watching that permanent way go down.

All the best

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Firstly well done on completing the Viaduct, it is definitely something to be proud of. It is good to know that the track laying is about to start at last. As for the plans they never seem to fit, even with mine which is a prototype model I have had to fit a 6" extension to part of it despite measuring it all out and being confident it was correct. Sometimes things just don't look right and it has to change.

I look forward to the new plans and seeing that watching that permanent way go down.

All the best

Jim

Hi Jim,

I could have obliged you with some photos - showing the SMP arrangement (whether it would help is another matter!!), but the damned camera has decided it needs charging up! So it'll be plan and pics later!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jonathan. I thought you'd emigrated - a transfer to Middlesbrough, perhaps :jester: - as it's been a few days since I've heard from you. Maybe my viaduct has finally put you to sleep! Btw, the Branch viaduct is still nearing completion, so that'll be on display in a day or two.

Once again, thanks for the input, which I will give "due consideration" to. I'll probably nip down to Peter's Spares at the start of next week and have a look at the backscenes and peruse what else he stocks. I'd never heard of the place until you mentioned it, then 2 other people have suggested a visit.

Today's priority is to get an outline plan drawn up to post on here, along with some pics. Having said that, even more important is my pub lunch with one of my former Physics colleagues. Then I need to do some exercise!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Track on baseboard - gives a much better idea of what goes where. 4' level and meter stick used as platform indicators. One advantage of the changed arrangement is the longer platforms: 5 - 6' now,,, will be clearer on the plan.

Hope this is of interest. It was certainly fun playing with the track. Grown-up men behaving like kids!!

Jeff

post-13778-0-47918700-1346404323_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-68655100-1346404339_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-65725100-1346404356_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, I'm off to Peter's Spares this lunch time for some spray paint for me Black 5 and a suburban coach I'm building and some transfers to line the loco. One of the chaps in there used to work at Stockon Modeller. That trackwork certainly makes Peco look very heavy. You can draw all the plans you like, it's not until you get some real track down that you can see how things are going be (or not, as the case may be.)

I go along with Rowsley and Gordon S regarding laying down some real track to see how things "fit". My grand ideas about using Peco American Code 83 fell down when I found the station would end up out the shed wall, well, not quite! I managed to use them where it really mattered and boy did I wish I had the length to use them throughout. So what's special about them? Well they run in a straight line through the frog and this eliminates the snaking affect of trains negotiating a crossover.

Trying to get my head round the pics Jeff. Is the station going to be the same height as the top of the viaduct and in line with the ply on the walls (backscene?) or are the viaducts going to be dropped down in line with the station level?

• RMweb Premium

The boards are sat on the subframe at the moment, for ease of working - I'm only 5'6" so raising them at the mo would be more difficult for me! The viaducts sit on the subframe, so the baseboards have to be raised by about 30cm to bring them in line with the viaduct track-bed. Risers, joining board and subframe, will be fitted later.

The system has the advantage of making working under the boards easier and gives plenty of space for fitting point motors etc. It also allows full open-frame capability. Part of the layout will be well below board level - and lots of it - hillside - above.

Gordon, I hope that makes some kind of sense!

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Jeff,

Just catching up on your progress, the viaducts look superb and I am well jealous of your flowing pointwork and track. It makes me want to start again.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

I go along with Rowsley and Gordon S regarding laying down some real track to see how things "fit". My grand ideas about using Peco American Code 83 fell down when I found the station would end up out the shed wall, well, not quite! I managed to use them where it really mattered and boy did I wish I had the length to use them throughout. So what's special about them? Well they run in a straight line through the frog and this eliminates the snaking affect of trains negotiating a crossover.

Larry, Sorry to hijack Jeff's topic but I assume you are mixing code 83 with 75. How are they joined?

Wow! This is the benefit of not going on RMWeb for weeks and then coming back - just added a string of 'likes' to your viaduct photos, and great to see the trackwork starting too :)

• RMweb Premium

To Peter and Will,

Thanks for the positive comments. Sorry for the delay - just been out for a (very large) pub meal...slightly overindulged! But it was nice!

I have a target to get the Branch viaduct out of the way by the end of the weekend. Glad you like the Main. Just hope I can get the Main and Branch colours to be similar!

Going into the bunker now to draw up what Schubert (Al) and I concocted last night. We even "played" the shunting game - invent a hypothetical goods train with cows, diesel, cement, coal wagons - all jumbled up - and see if they can be shunted realistically from both Up and Down directions. Al's suggestions seem to work fine. I'll put a "schematic" plan up on the thread as soon as I can draw it.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The diagrams below show the original (Peco 75) plan and the main station section of the new plan (SMP/Marcway). The latter is SCHEMATIC - the diagram dimensions are only approximate. The SMP plan slots in to the original plan as far as the connections to the viaducts and fiddle yard is concerned.

Advantages of the new plan include the fact that it fits nicely on to the boards / Goods area is nearer the operating well - so easier to manipulate / includes fairly sweeping curves - minimum radius is more than 3' (90cm) and is mostly greater than 3'8" (110cm) / lots of Goods operating potential / much longer platforms / full access to Goods area from Up and down / Shunter shed on the same side as the Goods area / uses up some of the "dead space" that existed behind the station previously...

Point motor positions are still within individual baseboards.

Catch points may be needed near the shunter shed.

Still retains the S&C Single-Double slip configuration to the Goods area.

Large goods shed loop for sensible operation.

Allows much flexibility in final position of the viaducts.

Fiddle yard / hillside etc unchanged.

PHEW!! hope you find this interesting!

Jeff

Edit: Please refer to the first photo in post 561 if you can't follow the plan!

post-13778-0-08619900-1346439470_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-38896900-1346439487_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

Rowsley17D said :

Larry, Sorry to hijack Jeff's topic but I assume you are mixing code 83 with 75. How are they joined?

Normal Code Peco fishplates were used then a file run over the joint. The difference in rail height isnt that bad but it benefits from a file.

• RMweb Premium

And needs a trap point for the siding labelled 'shunter shed' ;) It also appears to have gained a facing point over by the 'far side' platform - rather non S&C Line is that (branch connection is one think but apart from running loops there were no facing points on the S&C.

Thanks Mike - I knew there was need of a catch on the shunter - was just too lazy to add it in (my excuse being that I didn't have one in the photo, so I drew the plan to match! :O ).

The facing point - I assume you mean the branch off the down line at upper right ("one o'clock")? That was added as a siding, but I don't think it'll happen. I'll re-draw the plan and post it...please feel free to comment!

Jeff

Just wonder if the length of head shut is sufficient (“under the shunter shed” in the post # 570)?

EDIT: Oops! You were faster than me. I did not notice you latest track plan (the post #574)… Sorry! :pardon:

Edited by Jaakko