Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

The locals won't mind a sheep or two! They breed them hard up here, you know (the people and the cattle!!).

Looking at the plans of the station in the period when a cattle dock was operational, the dock was further to the end of the platform - I don't have the space to do this. The rear sidings were also much longer. Twiddling the plan (see below), this is about the best I can come up with. But it doesn't matter as KL isn't Kirkby Stephen - just a prototypical "copy"!!

Jeff

In Peter Baughan's North of Leeds there is a photo of sheep being unloaded directly on to the passenger platform dated 1935. A couple of shepherds and dogs supervising.

• RMweb Premium

In Peter Baughan's North of Leeds there is a photo of sheep being unloaded directly on to the passenger platform dated 1935. A couple of shepherds and dogs supervising.

Excellent!! Thanks Paul - that's all the justification I need! You've given me an idea for a cameo scene when I eventually get round to the platforms/cattle dock. In those days such a procedure was probably seen as normal - many people have no idea how rural the S&C is - and part of everyday life.

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I think there was a cattle loading bay/platform at the end of the passenger platform at the west end of Leyburn station, but that was NE of course. They say there's a prototype for everything.

• RMweb Premium

I think there was a cattle loading bay/platform at the end of the passenger platform at the west end of Leyburn station, but that was NE of course. They say there's a prototype for everything.

I'm going to have to look into this. There must be some photos of the operation. Even if there aren't, as both you and Paul say, it was a "done thing" to use the platform itself in certain places. I suspect Kirkby Stephen didn't actually do this. The dock is in close proximity to the platform, running parallel to its end. But the rail position would have allowed cattle to access the pens without using the platform itself.

It doesn't matter too much. The precedent is there and I can use it!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

It is very unlikely that animals would be loaded via a passenger platform at a busy through station - although it was at one time quite common with individual horses (horseboxes being conveyed by passenger train of course). Animals would not take kindly to being close to fast passing trains and would be difficult to control without pens although hurdles could readily be erected to 'pen' sheep.

• RMweb Premium

There'll be a bit of a hiatus for the next couple of weeks while I stock up on bits and pieces before laying the track. Just taken delivery of some more points and Cobalt point motors. Dave777's £100 makes me appreciate what can be done on a low budget, and shames me when I think that the Marcway double-slip cost an appreciable fraction of his entire budget.

And Mike, I know you love gardening... the weather must be p*****g my ex-colleagues off. They return to work, I've retired and summer is here!! Just spent 2 hours working in the garden and had to come in - excessive infra-red and UV levels (sorry for the Science) I'm sure.

Andy, you may be interested to know that not only is there not a blade of grass on the layout - yet - but the same is true of my back garden. Got rid of the lawn 5 years ago.

Right, time to have a cup of coffee and do a bit of research.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Have a good time with it all then Jeff - I'm off to sea (or the Bristol Channel at any rate) for a week so won't be watching things like model railways!

How will you cope without your standard 20 posts a day? Have fun sailing - I doubt much will have changed here by the time you get back!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

How will you cope without your standard 20 posts a day? Have fun sailing - I doubt much will have changed here by the time you get back!!

Jeff

I shall no doubt be forever visiting the bridge (open to 'guests' except at times when things are a bit fraught) looking to see where we are going next or asking what will be happening tomorrow or something equally invasive. One thing which does interest me is the fact that the ship still has Loran navigation kit and I'm wondering what they use it for?

• RMweb Gold

Having got home early today I consulted "The Wensleydale Branch" S C Jenkins,Oakwood Press, 1993 and the bay was a goods loading platform which was an extension of the down (westbound) platform. Photographs show horseboxes in this bay so it was probably horses that were loaded from here (many racehorse stables are in the vicinity). There were separate cattle loading pens on the south side of the station behind the coal-drops and near to the main road.

• RMweb Premium

I shall no doubt be forever visiting the bridge (open to 'guests' except at times when things are a bit fraught) looking to see where we are going next or asking what will be happening tomorrow or something equally invasive. One thing which does interest me is the fact that the ship still has Loran navigation kit and I'm wondering what they use it for?

You have me at a complete loss there, Mike. I suppose if I started discussing quantum physics with you, it would be equivalent. There again, the navigation kit is logical. Quantum physics gets more and more bizarre the more (less!) you know about it! It sounds like you'll be in your element and not "all at sea" (sorry, that was terrible!).

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Having got home early today I consulted "The Wensleydale Branch" S C Jenkins,Oakwood Press, 1993 and the bay was a goods loading platform which was an extension of the down (westbound) platform. Photographs show horseboxes in this bay so it was probably horses that were loaded from here (many racehorse stables are in the vicinity). There were separate cattle loading pens on the south side of the station behind the coal-drops and near to the main road.

That ties in with Mike's supposition (post 605). Thanks for making the efforts on my behalf.

Aside from the Black 5 - a wonderful machine - you are building (mentioned in your signature), have you an existing layout or one planned in the near future? My existing layout - which I only use to run-in locos now - needs to head for the skip this autumn. Maybe it'll give me even more incentive to get the track down and the soldering iron out!

Jeff

...One thing which does interest me is the fact that the ship still has Loran navigation kit and I'm wondering what they use it for?

:offtopic: unless Jeff wants to erect a transmitter at Kirkby Luneside, but my understanding is that although the US and Canada phased out LORAN-C by 2010, it is still operational around the world and, at least in Europe is being replaced by eLORAN. See also the Anthorn transmitter from whence the NPL time signal is broadcast (so there's a physics connection for Jeff).

Nick

Edited by buffalo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic: unless Jeff wants to erect a transmitter at Kirkby Luneside, but my understanding is that although the US and Canada phased out LORAN-C by 2010, it is still operational around the world and, at least in Europe is being replaced by eLORAN. See also the Anthorn transmitter from whence the NPL time signal is broadcast (so there's a physics connection for Jeff).

Nick

Nick, if you've read through the thread, you'll know that I'm not the least bothered about cross-thread chat. Some people get annoyed by it - why? I love the idea that people in the know can solve a riddle or problem for someone else - and we all learn from it. At least you do me the honour of trying to make it (partly) relevant.

Btw, and you are allowed to laugh, but after our discussion on viaduct colour yesterday I spent the afternoon humming HAZY shade of winter and Purple HAZE to myself. Sad? I must be trapped in the late 60s! Is that off topic? Of course not! Rule 1...I'm the OP. And, oh dear, the music is almost the era of my layout - so it's relevant.

Definitely NO transmitter near Kirkby Luneside, though!!! :nono:

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, I have a half-built layout in my cellar, LMS, Midland division C 1930s, with many faults, too much track, tight curves, gradients too steep. Anyway, I expect to move early next year, so no point in getting it put right/finished, so concentrating on stock instead. My Hornby Black 5 is the first to be replaced.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I have a half-built layout in my cellar, LMS, Midland division C 1930s, with many faults, too much track, tight curves, gradients too steep. Anyway, I expect to move early next year, so no point in getting it put right/finished, so concentrating on stock instead. My Hornby Black 5 is the first to be replaced.

Are you moving nearer to work or, hopefully, staying near your present location?

Astronomy is my oldest hobby and I used to spend a lot of time observing (with/without a telescope) at night. My hometown used to have an arrangement where the streetlights went off at 1am. The clear skies were magnificent. As for Teesside - forget it ... the majority of people here wouldn't stand a chance of seeing the Milky Way. Leyburn - well, I bet it gets properly dark that way. If I won the Lottery (ha, ha) I'd certainly be moving away from the urban environment.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

To add a bit of meat to the "bones" of the discussion on cattle docks, here is a plan of Kirkby Stephen station, drawn-up around 1911.

The plan is widely available, including in the book "Stations and Structures of the S&C"...

Jeff

post-13778-0-86680100-1346823129_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Are you moving nearer to work or, hopefully, staying near your present location?

Astronomy is my oldest hobby and I used to spend a lot of time observing (with/without a telescope) at night. My hometown used to have an arrangement where the streetlights went off at 1am. The clear skies were magnificent. As for Teesside - forget it ... the majority of people here wouldn't stand a chance of seeing the Milky Way. Leyburn - well, I bet it gets properly dark that way. If I won the Lottery (ha, ha) I'd certainly be moving away from the urban environment.

Jeff

Jeff, It will be to a village between Leyburn and Bedale so will be slightly nearer work. Also expect to move office to Darlington next year which will save another 30 miles per day. Looking out for a property where SWMBO can have a piano and I can have a layout (not in the same room of course). A decent sized garage, or a loft which can be converted, or one with a garden big enough to have a decent-sized shed.

The clear night sky here is quite something although we get light pollution on the horizon from Teesside, Leeds and Tyneside. Once did a basic astronomy course at college.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, It will be to a village between Leyburn and Bedale so will be slightly nearer work. Also expect to move office to Darlington next year which will save another 30 miles per day. Looking out for a property where SWMBO can have a piano and I can have a layout (not in the same room of course). A decent sized garage, or a loft which can be converted, or one with a garden big enough to have a decent-sized shed.

The clear night sky here is quite something although we get light pollution on the horizon from Teesside, Leeds and Tyneside. Once did a basic astronomy course at college.

This all sounds promising! Anticipation of a place to build the layout is a great thing.I've got spare bedrooms - well, one is filled with the old layout. But I always wanted to convert the garage and the planning was a pleasure. Then the building...the temptation is to rush on with it, as it's such great fun. But when it's finished, what then? Hell, I've have to run some trains!

Make sure SWMBO gets her piano room and she'll be so pleased that the world will be your oyster...in other words, you can have the small box room!

Cheers Jonathan.

• RMweb Gold

Make sure SWMBO gets her piano room and she'll be so pleased that the world will be your oyster...in other words, you can have the small box room!

Cheers Jonathan.

To be accurate Jeff, she is the soon to be SWMBO. After eight years of widowhood I was fed up of being on my own in a world of couples. We actually met in the NRM so must be a good sign. She was so pleased with my unfinished layout (do you want to come down to my cellar and see my trains?) that she insisted there must be room for a good-sized layout as well as a music room. Off to view potential properties this weekend, so no modelling.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan, sounds like a good match-up. Congratulations, and good luck with the property hunt!

Btw, I agree entirely with the comments you posted on Larry's Greenfield thread. I love the Wills sheets, but imagine what a job I'd have had if I'd try to cover my viaducts in the stuff!! Peco clearly think the Wills sheets have a different purpose to Slaters. The Wills are excellent for platforms and cobbled areas - never tried them for roofing - yet (it will happen, soon!).

Jeff

ps. If I mentioned the "Wensleydale Heffer" to you, would it ring any bells?

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

ps. If I mentioned the "Wensleydale Heffer" to you, would it ring any bells?

Jeff, A fine dining pub in the village of West Witton about 4 miles up the dale from Leyburn. Famed for its fish dishes. Just right for that special occasion (a bit pricey). Never been myself,more of a steak & ale pie man. I used to know the father (Louis Moss of Moss & Campbell furniture shop fame) of the chap who runs it.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, A fine dining pub in the village of West Witton about 4 miles up the dale from Leyburn. Famed for its fish dishes. Just right for that special occasion (a bit pricey). Never been myself,more of a steak & ale pie man. I used to know the father (Louis Moss of Moss & Campbell furniture shop fame) of the chap who runs it.

Cheers Jonathan. Had the place recommended to me this morning, "for that special occasion" you mention. Thought I'd use a "primary source" (you) to check it out!

To keep you posted, I've gone for cork sheeting (sorry, didn't follow your suggestion) and have most of what I need to start laying the track. Decided I'd try a Dremel - never used one before - so I'll compare it with the Xuron. Just need to get some adhesive now to fix everything down. So the choice: contact adhesive (Evostik) or an impact?

Comments (from anyone) please...I think I used Evostik on the last layout (9 years ago, can't remember!!).

Jeff

I actually prefer the Wills moulded plastic stone sheets becasue they are solid. Making buildings couldnt be easier when it comes to filing the corner stones to match. If etched window frames are used these should be fitted within the winder aperture and not behind it. I've nver found the thickness an issue. I am currently using it for around 9 feet of retaining wall because it looks 4mm and not 7mm yet the mortar courses are deep enough to give plenty of relief.

Edited by coachmann

Gents, gents... chaps!

What page of this mighty thread did we discuss what's actually cladding the KL viaducts? I know it's not Wills, of which I have a surfeit, however, I also have numerous other styles and sheets (both OO and O) in the goodie-bag ready to clad Ale Water's five arches.

I went back and searched but it might be quicker if one of you lads can just tell me in words of one syll.