Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Methinks a dash or two of artistic weathering around transition from ballast to ash will set this off very well indeed, all based on that perfectly simple test, 'it looks right' ...

As to my pic of  Leeds engine 45562 Alberta, thanks for the compliments, I put it up in the Hornby/Large Green Powerful  thread as I usually do and Ian Hargrave who is very kind and supportive said he had seen it regularly c1960 on the Bristol-Newcastle 'Devonian' with chocolate/cream carriages and looking somewhat cleaner.    Can't win!     Do the track the way YOU want, Jeff. 

Evening Rob.

Re. Alberta. A mainstay on the S&C, so your image is wholly evocative of journeys from Leeds Holbeck to Carlisle..... 

I sometimes wonder what people want on here. Blood? And not necessarily of the Blood and Custard coach type!

I'm enjoying playing with the "ash". I'll have to weather the main lines though - they are FAR too clean!

Jeff

Indeed, this track maintenance is the burden of the working classes, and you'll get no fair reward.

I did add a bit of ballast to the shoulder of the track in my last pic., here below,  starting a new pic today, fortified with a quiet cuppa..

Actually there a lot of things done in my pics which probably will never be known; handrails made thinner, shadows darker, lens distortions played-with, as well as the more obvious bits like sanding pipes and wheel profiles.   Mostly it's just that it looks nice to me, and a bonus that others seem to like them too.

post-7929-0-31830600-1377035916.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, Jeff, you'll be onto detailing before you know it, so here are a few details I noticed at Kirby Stephen.

Some night atmosphere

post-14049-0-33534500-1377119749.jpg

Though I don't expect it to rain on KL :mosking:

post-14049-0-23255600-1377120735.jpg

Daylight view of platform lamp and south side Way Out to the road which runs under the railway bridge into Kirkby Stephen.

post-14049-0-93595700-1377120840.jpg

Way Out on the north side from the station forecourt.

post-14049-0-21089800-1377121126.jpg

I don't know what this is for or it's age [era] but the top slab is about 4ft x 2ft at a rough guess and about 4ft high.  I did notice the fencing was quite common in that part of the country.  Nice.

post-14049-0-87301800-1377121177.jpg

The eaves were a great favourite with the swallows though too quick for me to capture.

post-14049-0-63295200-1377121338.jpg

And lastly, flood defences.  :derisive:   Again, don't know era of installation.

post-14049-0-67801600-1377121396.jpg

Hope something may be of use.

Polly

• Like 2

Hi Poll, have you got over ME buying cups of tea yet?

anyway any pics of Bodgitville for my layout.

Jeffs ballasting seems to have stopped, and I need some more inspiration to get me through the next 3 to 4 Months before I can start again.

Looking on KL is like looking into the future for me, :O  (well maybe not with that lovely base board, plan, track, cobolts, ballast, hills, walls, aquaduct, viaduct, tunnel mouth etc,) :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  but I will have GRASS, hahahhaaaa

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Jeffs ballasting seems to have stopped, and I need some more inspiration to get me through the next 3 to 4 Months before I can start again.

Looking on KL is like looking into the future for me, :O  (well maybe not with that lovely base board, plan, track, cobolts, ballast, hills, walls, aquaduct, viaduct, tunnel mouth etc,) :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  but I will have GRASS, hahahhaaaa

Bodgit

Plenty of grass below Kirby Stephen Station

post-14049-0-34038900-1377125110.jpg

Rose bay willow herb and ballast

post-14049-0-61051200-1377125353.jpg

Stuff in the foreground that might provide some interesting ideas for a corner of the layout

[Wensleydale Railway]

post-14049-0-06085100-1377125947.jpg

DigiPolly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

Thanks very much for all the photos. It's lovely to see Kirkby Stephen pics on here. I drive past the station every 4-6 weeks and it's about time I popped in again to take some photos of my own.

That class 14 shunter in your last post is a real ugly beast. "Beauty is in the eye..."

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bodgit

Hi Andy.

"Seems" is the relevant word, as, in truth, it hasn't! In fact, I've just come in from 3 hours in the bunker - I've re-done the ballasting in the branch cutting. It was the first thing I ballasted, 4 weeks ago, and it wasn't up to standard. So I ripped the ballast etc out and replaced it. It probably looks the same to the casual eye, but I'm happier about it!

I've spent the last 30 minutes running my class 9 test shunter at very low speed (8/128 on my Lenz controller) through heaps of pointwork. The occasional stall, but after cleaning the loco had a good, long run. 

I'll post a diagonal view across the bunker, from the corner near the viaduct, in the morning. Just the kind of thing you like!

Jeff

• Like 1

but not before we see a Leeds Jubilee racing through KL...

late BR drama, lovely!   The ballast is of course carefully tended by teams of men daily.

post-7929-0-27282000-1377207371.jpg

edit; I like this cropped version...

post-7929-0-96277100-1377211240.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning :)

The fencing in Polly's above photo looks to be typical Midland style and is available from Slaters. A section of it can be seen on my old layout, Rubbishtown :D

StationBuilding.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Jason - your last post has given me some real belly laughs - and I'm still chuckling.... Rubbishtown!!!? Lol!

Nice fencing, actually. May have to get some.... Hell, it'll soon be time to build the station!

Rubbishtown - I like it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A couple more photos showing the current state of the bunker. Still a bit of ballasting to be done...

Apologies if anything is a bit blurred - I was still shaking with laughter at Jason's beautifully-named old layout!

Still no hint of the green stuff, eh Andy!!? (No 4" nails either!).

From viaduct corner - I can't squeeze any further back:

post-13778-0-93591100-1377166587_thumb.jpg

And I really like the lower shots - could be a good angle for future views as locos enter/exit the station:

post-13778-0-24107900-1377166595_thumb.jpg

Right - time to do some exercise!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Just been having a catch-up on your thread.

The mixture of ash and normal ballast looks really effective, and the ballasting itself is lovely and neat. Excellent job as always.

The long views in your last post are particularly impressive, and once the buildings and scenery are in place that will be a stunning viewpoint.

Cheers,

Al

• RMweb Premium

Morning Al.

The ironic thing is that if you go back over a hundred pages (!!!!) you'll see a big discussion about permanently fitting a part-hillside in the corner from where the pics were taken. I've already built a removable "insert", but it's a pain. However, the best views of the layout are to be had from that corner, so it's definitely not being "filled in" now!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning :)

The fencing in Polly's above photo looks to be typical Midland style and is available from Slaters. A section of it can be seen on my old layout, Rubbishtown :D

The fencing at Kirby Stephen is - I'm fairly sure - 'modern but in the style of' traditional Midland Railway/LMS fencing as the look of it is not quite the same as the way I remember MR style fencing back in the '60s and I suspect the modern stuff uses material of smaller dimensions.  But having said that the Slaters stuff is probably modelled on the real thing and the Ratio stuff very definitely is so there should be no problem sourcing the correct material for the layout.

With scenic and station detail I would always suggest looking for original pics from the era you intend to portray as a lot of stuff on stations which have been 'restored' is a pastiche of the original and needs to be treated with caution although teh lie of the land and older buildings basic shapes often remain substantially unaltered of course.

• RMweb Premium

The fencing at Kirby Stephen is - I'm fairly sure - 'modern but in the style of' traditional Midland Railway/LMS fencing as the look of it is not quite the same as the way I remember MR style fencing back in the '60s and I suspect the modern stuff uses material of smaller dimensions.  But having said that the Slaters stuff is probably modelled on the real thing and the Ratio stuff very definitely is so there should be no problem sourcing the correct material for the layout.

With scenic and station detail I would always suggest looking for original pics from the era you intend to portray as a lot of stuff on stations which have been 'restored' is a pastiche of the original and needs to be treated with caution although teh lie of the land and older buildings basic shapes often remain substantially unaltered of course.

I think the fencing is the responsibility of the Settle and Carlisle Railway Trust. Certainly, everything is very picturesque and the website has some interesting details and is pleasantly illustrated.

It was certainly interesting spending a few days (and nights) with passenger trains stopping on their way to Leeds/Carlisle and freight thundering through.  Thanks to those drivers who gave us a wave as they passed through while we struggled with the photography.  Guess they get used to playing spot the nerds seeing Station Holiday Guests standing on the platform, waiting. 

Polly

Evening Jeff, I too have had a good catch up after an evening up the Club putting in  a new hillside and hopefully a farm in a country lane.

The low long shots are spot on mate, and that ballast is now looking awesome, I cant wait to see some buildings and the fencing would probably be Black I would have thought.

How do you intend to do the platforms, with a wood base or plasticard formers as I did on Bute Road?

I will keep checking in and catching up between tip runs, box moving from A to B and then back to A again.

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 1

Evening All,

I bought a weathered ex-WD 2-8-0.  The rot has well and truly set in now. 

seller's pictures, lovely stuff

post-7929-0-01010300-1377207484.jpg

but next on my agenda is a photo of this lovely A3 in c1950 livery...

these being from the ad....  lovely and certainly sell the model, even with a front step missing.

post-7929-0-38731300-1377211080.jpg

post-7929-0-20706300-1377208024.jpg

post-7929-0-83806600-1377208054.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Evening Jeff, I too have had a good catch up after an evening up the Club putting in  a new hillside and hopefully a farm in a country lane.

Have you been at the g*@!s again bodgit? :nono:   Or were you just constructing the land this evening?

Having said that, I've been playing with dead stuff on my 009 modules...

[*photo has been censored as unsuitable for publication on Kirby Luneside :O *]

• RMweb Premium

The low long shots are spot on mate, and that ballast is now looking awesome, I cant wait to see some buildings and the fencing would probably be Black I would have thought.

How do you intend to do the platforms, with a wood base or plasticard formers as I did on Bute Road?

I will keep checking in and catching up between tip runs, box moving from A to B and then back to A again.

Evening Andy.

I'm going to make a skeleton structure for the base, probably using 2 or 3mm ply, with a 3mm ply top for the platform. 

I've been out all evening, but just had 20 minutes of slow running a class 8 through pointwork and a sound black 5 at low speed, steaming up the "long drag".

NO BALLASTING at all today!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you been at the g*@!s again bodgit? :nono:   Or were you just constructing the land this evening?

Having said that, I've been playing with dead stuff on my 009 modules...

[*photo has been censored as unsuitable for publication on Kirby Luneside :O *]

NOTHING is unsuitable on here, Michael! 

If Scott can get away with photos of men in mankinis..... Need I say more?!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob, that Austerity is magnificent!

It really does suit the filthy, grotty look. When I bought my new one I just HAD to get it weathered. A clean WD? Contradiction in terms!

Jeff